Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Balancers of Death: Book 6 by jparan1

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 6- Hogwarts Bound

Dumbledore stared at Harry’s face with a look of concern. He had apparated to the House of Black as soon as Arthur Weasley contacted him. Remus and Tonks stood behind Harry as he told what he dreamt. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Molly and Arthur Weasley sat around the dining room table listening closely.

“…so then I woke up.” Harry stated plainly.

“Interesting. Very interesting.” Dumbledore said reclining back in his chair.

“What do you think it means, Professor?” Tonks asked in a worried voice.

“Well, Tonks, Harry, I think this shows that Voldemort cannot attack Harry’s mind anymore.”

“How do you figure?” Ron said questioning his Headmasters wisdom.

“Harry was not harmed by Voldemort.” Dumbledore started, “Once he was inside Harry’s mind, he is not powerful. This might be due to certain protections Harry has had since the first defeated of Voldemort, when he was an infant.”

Dumbledore stood up and walked toward Harry. Harry was apprehensive in what Dumbledore had said. Dumbledore sat beside Harry and folded his hands on his lap.

“However, Harry, even though Voldemort cannot harm you physically while in your mind, he can do other things when he has invaded,” Dumbledore said with a frown, “which we learned from experience.”

“What can I do about it?” Harry said with a bit of anger in his voice. “I am not going to do Occlumency with Snape again!”

“No, Harry, you won’t have to.” Dumbledore said quietly to calm Harry, “ I believe that it weakened your mind for attacks. Even though Severus is a skilled Legilimens, there is more to it when teaching the skill. I fear, that Severus will not get over the experiences he had with your father. I will make arrangements for you to learn Occlumency this year, with another wizard qualified to do it. However, you must clear your mind before you sleep, even when you nap. I believe Voldemort isn’t done with his attempts to get into your mind, but we cannot be too careful.

Harry sat there in silence as everyone left the room. He didn’t want to let Voldemort in anymore. He knew what damage he can do while in Harry’s mind. Ron quietly came back into the room and sat beside Harry.

“I don’t know what your going through mate,” Ron said somewhat bravely, “but my family and I will always stand beside you.”

“Thanks, Ron.” Harry said not saying anymore. Harry could tell that Ron knew what he had said was appreciated and he felt better knowing such a fine wizarding family like the Weasleys stood beside him. He felt that the Weasleys were his family and Ron was his brother; this gave him enough comfort to get out of this mood he was in.
****

There was a feeling of excitement in the air the day Harry had to return to Hogwarts. He had packed his trunk and placed Hedwig in her cage for the long journey. Remus helped Harry pack his books for his 6th year classes. They chatted about what Harry should expect from his N.E.W.T classes.

“They will not be easy, Harry.” Remus warned.

“I’ve got Hermione to help me out,” Harry replied, “plus I think I will spend more time in the library this year.”

“That’s good to hear,” Remus said cheerfully, patting Harry on the shoulder, “however staying in the library doesn’t mean you will be studying when you’re in there. Sirius and James would never study there, and they hardly let me study when I was there with them. I think they fancied studying in the dorm room better. They didn’t feel it necessary to show of within Gryffindor’s boys dorm.”

“It is quieter there, sometimes…” Harry added. He pictured his father, Sirius and Remus trying to get work done in the dorm.

Later that morning Harry said goodbye to Remus and Tonks. Mr. and Ms. Weasley were going to take them to the train station. They all piled into the Ford Anglia like they did on their trip to Diagon Alley. The trip to the train station was short since they were leaving from the Black’s Manor. And as usual, Ms. Weasley made a fuss about Harry’s hair, before he boarded the train.

“Will this hair ever stay down!” Ms. Weasley exclaimed.

“I’ve tried, it won’t.” Harry said, smiling at the way Ms. Weasley mothering of him.

“Well, you all have a safe and pleasant trip.” Ms. Weasley said starting to tear up, “And Ronald Weasley, do not cause any trouble.”

“What about Ginny!” Ron said defending himself.

“She’s a prefect now, she just better keep you out of trouble.” Ms. Weasley commanded.

Hermione and Ginny began to head to the prefects’ meeting before the realized their were one prefect short.

“Aren’t you coming?” Hermione scowled at Ron.

“Well, I was thinking that since you two were going,” Ron said, “that I could just find a compartment with Harry.

“Ronald Weasley, you will go to that meeting!” Hermione yelled. She stormed off with a huff and Ginny waved to Ron to follow.

“It will just be an hour, mate,” Ron said with a shrug. “Just save room for us.”

“Of course.” Harry said, as it was obvious. “Have fun.”

Harry had walked passed a couple of compartments with a few Huffelpuffs and a few Ravenclaws. He found Luna Lovegood sitting quietly alone in a compartment that was mid-train.

“Mind if I join you.” Harry said knocking on the compartment door.

“Oh Harry, of course.” Luna said, “ I was wondering when I would meet you again.”

“Did you think I was going to miss the train ride?” Harry asked.

“Yes,” Luna said lazily, “ I thought Professor Dumbledore would‘ve had you take another form of transportation to Hogwarts.”

“He didn’t mention anything like that.” Harry said.

“Well, you’re here now…” Luna said looking out the window. Harry felt a little weird talking to the side of her face, but it was something he was going to have to get use to. Luna was quite peculiar and seemed to never look at anyone when while having a conversation. Harry was about to open a chocolate frog when he saw a flushed Neville standing at the compartment entrance.

“Would you mind if I …I sit with you Harry…Luna?” Neville said with a puff.

“Of course, Neville.” Harry said while moving his bag to make room next to him, “ why are you panting?”

“Oh, Trevor got loose the second we stepped on board.” Neville said while gaining his composure,

“ I had to chase him through most of the compartments.”

Trevor seemed to squirm a little in Neville’s hands. But Neville began to pet it gently on his head, which seemed to calm the large toad down.

Harry, Neville, and Luna chatted about their summers for about an hour before Ron, Hermione, and Ginny appeared at the entrance. Room was made for their new guests. The girls gossiped about what rumors they heard about other Hogwarts students over the summer. Luna gave keen insight over some of her fellow Ravenclaws that have started dating over the summer.
The boys busied themselves with several games of exploding snaps, however once in a while Ron would get distracted when Hermione had a piece of juicy gossip for Ginny and Luna.

“When did she become a gossip queen?” Ron whispered to Harry.

“Um, she is a girl, and this is how girls talk.” Harry said to Ron in obvious tone. “Unless you want to gossip, chat with them or I suggest you play your card.” Both Harry and Neville snickered as Ron played his last card.

A few hours later they finally arrived at the Hogsmeade station. Hagrid was there to greet all the first years.

“Fir’s yers th’s way.” Hagrid bellowed.

“Hullo Hagrid.” Harry greeted.

“Hullo Harry,” Hagrid smiled, “How’d yer’ trip go?”

“Oh very good.” Harry smiled, “ I was just remembering you calling me when I was a first year.”

“Oh thas’ was n’ inter’estin yer” Hagrid laughed, “So was ev’ry yer’ a’ter dat. Yer best get’ a’long.”
Harry met with Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville at the entrance of the great hall.

“Ready for another year, Harry.” Ron said.

“ More or less…” Harry shrugged.

“Don’t worry, Harry…” Hermione said confidently, “We will make sure you’re ready.”

Harry and the others took their seats at their House tables. Harry could see the group of worried looking first years waiting to be sorted. After Sorting Hat sang the same song as last year, Herbert Abernathy, Vijay Perriello, Thomas Kantor, Marie Horne, and Anuradha Ram were sorted into Gryffindor house. The others were evenly sorted into Huffelpuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Harry watched Draco Malfoy greet several of the first years. It looked like he pointed to Harry and gave them all a lecture of which house they were in.

“Did you see that Harry…” Ron pointed out Draco, “…the bloody git is already turning them against us.”

“Don’t worry about him Ron,” Harry said with a snide tone, “he is just upset that his daddy isn’t there to bail him out of trouble this year.”

After the last first year was sorted, Headmaster Dumbledore, stood up to make his annual News and Rules speech.

“Congratulations first years, you will see that you house will be like your family. They will show you the way around and help you when you need it. Before we get to the Great Feast, a few announcements. We have a somewhat new professor for Defense of the Dark Arts, some of you will remember a version of him two years ago, Alastor Moody.”


Dumbledore pointed at the old man. Most of the students sat quietly in shock of Moody’s scars and disfigurations. Moody bowed his head for moment to accept the silence.

“Why didn’t I see him sitting up there before.” Harry whispered.

“I think I just saw him appear,” Hermione answered.

“He apparated?” Ron asked.

“No, Ron, no wizard can apparate on Hogwart’s grounds...” Hermione stated, “…how many times do I have to tell you that, I think he was invisible. His chair was pulled out from the table since we got here.”

“He was probably told how much commotion Barty Crouch Jr. made when he appeared as Moody for the first time at Hogwarts.” Harry added.

Dumbledore continued after a short pause, “We would like to congratulate Hermione Granger for achieving 12 perfect O.W.L.s for her examination last year.” The Huffelpuffs, Ravenclaws, and most noticeably Gryffindor, cheered for Hermione. The Slytherins were eerily quiet. Hermione went red over such praise. Harry realized she has never been the center of attention of a cheering crowd. He also noticed how Ron was clapping the loudest at the Gryffindor table.

“A quite extraordinary feat…” Dumbledore continued after the hall quieted down, “…I hope our fifth and seventh years will follow her example and study hard for their exams this year.” Hermione went a deeper shade of red then she was before.

“Now, I must tell you this,” Dumbledore said with a more sincere voice, “Voldemort is back and we all must unite against him and his dark forces. The way you can do so, is to be prepared to go into the world with all the knowledge Hogwarts can give you. Being able to defend yourself is not a small feat. There are a number of protections here a Hogwarts and you will be safe here, so it’s best to be prepared for what lies beyond these walls. With that, the Forbidden Forest is strictly forbidden, without supervision of a Hogwart’s faulty or staff.”

“Better not go into the Forbidden Forest or you might be giant food.” Ron whispered to the wide-eyed Thomas Kantor. Hermione pulled Ron’s arm to get him away form a now frighten Thomas.

“You’re going to scare him, Ron.” Hermione said angrily.

“Just a warning. I am doing my prefect duty.” Ron smiled.
Harry turned from his fighting friends when Dumbledore began to finish his speech.

“Caretaker Filch has posted a list of prohibited items on his office door…he would like to announce that anyone attempting to replace Fred and George Weasley as the schools top trouble makers will be severely dealt with. This reminds me…” Dumbledore pulled out his wand and gave a flick. Green pamphlets appeared at everyone’s place setting. “…Fred and George Weasley has kindly donated a waterfall pond located at the Root and Herb garden to be used for Herbology classes. They have also kindly donated catalogs of their products from their new store, Weasley Wizard’s Wheezes, located in Diagon Alley. With that, let’s eat.”

“Did Dumbledore just plug my brothers’ store?” Ron said half confused half amused.

“That’s what Fred and George were talking about at the store,” Ginny said with a childlike smile, “I have to write them an let them know.”

“Look at Filch, he looks murderous,” Neville pointed out, “I guess he thought he would be rid of Fred and George this year.”
****

Harry and the rest headed up to their houses. Harry tagged along with Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and their first years. After learning the new password to the dorms, “Chocolate bunny,” Harry looked over his class schedule. He will have Double Potions Tuesday mornings and Double Dark arts that afternoon. He decided not to worry himself about Potions or Snape. He just wanted a good nights rest before starting classes.