Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Carry On Wayward Son by BeautifulDreamer07

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: These lyrics are from Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas. I do not own those lyrics or Harry Potter.
Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more


Harry Potter sat on a rock next to the lake. He had the weary look of someone who had seen far too much horror in a short amount of time. His shoulders were hunched over and his pale skin was a gray unhealthy color. His green eyes, usually so bright and shining with laughter, were dull and full of sadness and despair. He stared listlessly at the lake in front of him and tried not to think too much. Thinking was painful. It was a lot easier to simply sit and do nothing.


He knew he would have to get up eventually. It was inevitable. There were still four more Horcruxes to find and destroy. Then, after all that was accomplished and Voldemort was mortal once more, there would be the final battle. Harry shuddered. He knew it could not be avoided. It was his destiny to destroy Voldemort. The fate of the entire wizarding world rested in his hands. He also knew that he could very well die while fulfilling his destiny. Harry began to shiver despite the warm summer air.


It had not always been like this. Harry used to be full of life and laughter. He used to smile and have perfectly happy moments. Not anymore though. Not since Dumbledore’s murder. Hot tears filled Harry’s green eyes as he remembered the man who had been his last and greatest protector. Not even in Harry’s worst nightmares could he imagine that Dumbledore would die. He always thought that they would carry on together, destroying the Horcruxes, making Voldemort mortal again. Then, in the end, he thought that they would stand together, side by side, and finally rid the earth of the greatest evil to ever live. Harry’s spirit sunk even lower.

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more



He didn’t know how long he sat there before they joined him, Ron on one side and Hermione on the other. Hermione put her arm around him and Ron put a hand on his shoulder.


“It’s going to be okay, Harry,” Hermione said soothingly, “You still have Ron and I. We’ll help you Harry. You’re not alone.” Ron nodded vigorously.


Harry felt a lump form in his throat. They were such good friends. He was so grateful to have them. He had never known what having a friend was like until he had met them and even though he knew that he could never allow them help in the way they wanted to, their willingness to help meant more to him than he could say.


“Thanks Hermione. That means a lot to me…but you know I can’t let you come with me.” Harry swallowed hard and whispered, “I would never forgive myself if something happened to you.”


Ron looked at Harry sadly and nodded his head. Harry had known Ron would understand. They had been best mates for six years and Ron knew that Harry would never let his friends wander into that kind of danger. Hermione, however, looked up at Harry with a pleading look in her eyes.


“Harry, you can’t do this all alone. You need someone there to help you, to support you. Ron and I, we…”


Harry cut her off. “No, Hermione. You know I can’t let you. Voldemort uses the people I care about against me. He’ll take you both and…and I can’t let something like that happen, Hermione. You are both far too important to me.”


Hermione looked like she was going to cry. Harry suddenly had the desire to be somewhere else…anywhere else. He stood up and walked towards the Forbidden Forest, leaving Ron and Hermione sitting by the lake. He reached the trees, feeling terribly alone, and walked a few feet into them before setting off.


Everything was much quieter in the Forest. The only thing he could hear was the sound of the wind in the trees and the soft chirping of birds. He walked for about ten minutes before stopping to lean against a tree. He was looking out at Hogwarts castle when the loss of Dumbledore hit him with a force so hard he was driven to his knees.


Harry wept bitterly. How was he going to survive this? How was he going to make it through? Dumbledore had been everything to Harry. Dumbledore had represented everything in Harry’s world that was good and light and worth living for. Without that hope, Harry felt small, hopeless, and terribly alone.


Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more



As he knelt there and wept, Harry slowly became aware that somewhere, music was playing. He stifled his sobs for a moment and listened to the song. It was the most haunting melody Harry had ever heard. It reminded him of Phoenix song, a sound he closely associated with Dumbledore. As Harry listened, the music grew louder and more intense. Harry’s grief melted away as the music grew. As the music reached its climax, Harry’s heart was filled with overwhelming joy and peace. He smiled for the first time since Dumbledore’s death.


The music eventually died away. Harry continued to smile though. His heart was full of peace and contentment. Though he knew he had a long road ahead of him, he also knew that he would always have his friends and all the people who loved him. They would stand beside him through everything. He was never alone and he would never be alone.


With joy in his heart, Harry set off towards the lake. He was going to find Ron and Hermione and apologize to them. He realized that he could never abandon them anymore than they could abandon him. He found them in the same spot he had left them and explained what had happened. When he was done they both smiled at him and forgave him for his abrupt departure. The three of them walked back up to the castle together, the unstoppable trio. Together now. Together tomorrow. Together…forever.