Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Devil in the Doorway by BloodRayne

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Huge thanks to the Perfect Imagination betas who helped me enormously with this story: hells456 and Hokey.

“I’ve had it!” Theodore Nott blinked at his fiancée Elizabeth Niles’s hostile outburst. Elizabeth rushed to their room, her blue skirt billowing behind her, and swung the door shut, but Theodore accelerated, throwing his weight against the heavy, wooden door to keep it from closing.

“Elizabeth…” he started, stopping with a start when he saw that she was packing her clothes in her travel bag. She grabbed a hair band and furiously tied back her curly, red hair to keep it from getting in her eyes as she packed. The wardrobe she had so carefully organised a week ago when she had first moved was in complete disarray

“What are you doing?” Theodore asked in disbelief. He could hardly believe that after their year and a half long engagement, Elizabeth would so easily break off their relationship.

“What does it look like I’m doing?” she snarled. Her face was carved with harsh lines of anger, which made her appear older than twenty-six. Cautiously, Theodore approached her and grabbed her hand

“Please calm down so we can talk.” Theodore attempted to reason. Elizabeth snatched her hand away and continued to pack heatedly.

“There’s nothing to talk about!” she yelled angrily. “I’m leaving!” Sighing, Theodore grabbed both of her hands this time and held her tightly. She refused to look at him.

“I’ll try to work it out,” he promised softly. She lifted her head. Theodore was surprised to see her eyes were damp.

“I’m tired of it, Theodore.” Elizabeth settled herself on the bed, her hands still in Theodore’s. “I don’t know what to do anymore.”

Theodore sighed, and hung his head in weariness. “Just, please, just stay,” he begged.

With a sigh, Elizabeth reluctantly said, “Alright.”

***

Elizabeth caressed the neck of her white horse, Aggie, and prepared to mount her.

“Might I join you, Miss Niles?” Elizabeth felt chills at the cold voice of her father-in-law. She gritted her teeth, and forced herself to respond.

“Of course.” Elizabeth and Mr Nott rode side by side, on his spacious grounds. Elizabeth loved riding. Like most riders, she loved feeling the wind on her face, blowing her hair away.

Since Aggie was usually docile and knew her way around the grounds, Elizabeth trusted her immensely, and so she closed her eyes for a moment and let her mind wander. Before she knew it, Aggie was on her hind legs. The agitated horse jumped and whirled, until Elizabeth could no longer feel the comfort of Aggie’s saddle beneath her. Flying through the air, she opened her mouth to scream, but she hit the ground before she could. She felt a searing pain in her elbow, but otherwise she seemed fine. She was breathing hard and fast, her eyes staring at the clear, blue sky.

Elizabeth turned her eyes downward to find Mr Nott staring at her in disgust and…disappointment? He was still on his horse. Suddenly, Elizabeth felt fear so strong it made her catch her breath much quicker than she would have otherwise. She lifted herself off the ground as quickly as she could and ran back to the house.

***

Theodore stared at his fiancée as she quickly and competently mended her broken arm with a simple flick of her wand. They were in their bedroom, the room that was now a witness to all of their fights.

“No other damage, I hope?” he smiled, hoping to comfort her. She met his warm smile with a cold stare. Theodore tried to get past the moment. He paced to the other end of the room nervously.

“So, Aggie will have to be taken away,” he said casually. “Father said she just went wild for no apparent reason.”

“Aggie will be taken nowhere,” Elizabeth said sharply. “That man’s a filthy liar.” Theodore scowled.

“That’s my father you’re talking about,” he said quietly.

“That’s what scares me.” Elizabeth stood up irritably. “Because he’s your father, you feel you can’t confront him.” Theodore looked at his bride-to-be in disbelief.

“Confront him with what?” he snapped. “Accuse him of trying to murder my fiancée?”

“I wouldn’t put it past that man,” Elizabeth muttered.

Theodore’s nostrils flared. “Elizabeth, don’t you think you’re going a bit far?” he said. “I know you think he's been treating you horribly, but that’s no excuse to go and make up wild stories!”

“Excuse me?” Elizabeth’s eyes widened in indignation. “If you think I’d make that up, then you must consider me certifiably insane.”

“I’m just saying, in the end, he’s my father, and he wants me to be happy,” Theodore said reasonably.

“Really? Well, personally I think he cares more about himself and his reputation than anything or anyone else.”

“What?” Theodore interrupted. “You think he cares so much about his reputation that he would try to kill you?”

“I wouldn’t doubt it for a second,” Elizabeth said confidently.

“Elizabeth, he’s not that cruel,” Theodore argued. “He’s not Lucius Malfoy, for God’s sake.”

“No, but he was a Death Eater, wasn’t he?” Elizabeth said, the iciness in her voice practically dripping. “He only managed to evade Azkaban by the skin of his teeth.”

By taking a deep breath and running a hand through his hair, Theodore stopped himself from hurting Elizabeth. Elizabeth was still staring at him expectantly, as if awaiting his reaction.

“I honestly don’t know what to say to you,” Theodore admitted in defeat.

Elizabeth scoffed and muttered to herself in disbelief. “Fine,” she said curtly. “Forget what I said just now. What did you tell him when you supposedly spoke to him about his treatment towards me?”

“Supposedly? What, I’m a compulsive lair now, am I?”

“Well, just now, I was certifiably insane, wasn’t I?”

“For the last time, my father did not try to kill you!”

“Okay, I believe you,” responded Elizabeth, her voice clearly stating that she did not believe him at all. “What’s the problem here, Theodore?” she asked. “Are you too much of a coward to face up to your father? Are you too scared to look him in the eye and say, ‘cut the crap’?”

“Don’t you call me a coward,” said Theodore very quietly, his rare anger very clear in the smallness of his narrowed eyes.

“I don’t know what to do here anymore,” Elizabeth said in frustration. “Insults I can tolerate, but an attempt on my life? How many other times is he going to try to kill me? Is he going to do it until he succeeds?”

“I’m not even going to answer you if you’re still holding on to the ridiculous notion that my father is attempting to murder you,” said Theodore, his voice rising steadily.

“Fine,” Elizabeth said. “I’m sorry. So what did happen when you two spoke?”

“I’ve spoken to him about that, and he apologised for accidentally offending you. It was a misunderstanding, that's all,” said Theodore, glad that she had finally calmed down.

“How thick are you?” Elizabeth cried in frustration. “What, did he tell you he was joking? Trying to welcome me into his home by insulting me?”

“You know what, stop it!” Theodore yelled. “That’s quite enough. I’ve tried to rationalise with you, but you refuse to listen to anything!”

“You’re the one who’s not listening!” Elizabeth said fiercely. “It’s obvious your father can’t stand having his son marry a Muggle-born, and he most certainly doesn’t want me in his house, and you still think he’s ““

“Stop!” Theodore held his hands up. “Could you please calm down?”

“What? What could you possibly say to me to make it better?”

“Look, I spoke to Raja myself. You know, our house-elf? She specifically told me that all my father did was joke around a bit much, nothing more.”

Elizabeth fell backwards onto the bed. Her green eyes were widened with what seemed to be shock, but the expression on her face conveyed realisation.

Theodore sat beside her and put his hand on her shoulder. “What’s wrong?” he asked in concern.

While attempting to smile, Elizabeth shook her head. “Nothing’s wrong.”

“Then how about you wash up and we go and have dinner? That’ll prove to you my father’s truly sorry for accidentally offending you.” Elizabeth looked at him. He was practically begging. Right now the only thought going through her head was that she didn’t want to eat at the same table with a man as cunning and cruel as Mr Nott.

As soon as Theodore mentioned Raja the house-elf, Elizabeth understood. This was all a plot, conducted by Mr Nott to make Elizabeth look like a lying, selfish person, and to make him look like a sympathetic saviour. Although she couldn’t stand the thought of being near such a man, refusing to go to dinner would do nothing to help her situation.

“I’ve got nothing against your father, Theodore,” Elizabeth said, in hopes of bringing Theodore to her side. She was rapidly clenching and unclenching her fists, she wasn’t sure how she would phrase what she wanted to say. “I don’t want to make problems over nothing, either.”

Theodore nodded and smiled. “I know you don’t,” he said softly, his hand gently caressing her hair to reassure her.

“It’s just…frustrating when you don’t believe me,” Elizabeth continued. “I mean, the horse incident, do you honestly believe I would make something like that up, simply out of spite?”

Rapidly, Theodore shook his head, his eyebrows raised in surprise. “I don’t think that at all,” he said. “I only think that because you’re so defensive, you’re tending to be slightly paranoid.” It was odd that he could say such a sentence with kindness and reason. At this moment, Elizabeth wasn’t sure how much longer she could keep her temper reined in, or what more she could say.

“Let’s just go and have dinner,” she said. Elizabeth was convinced that she would find a way to tell him afterwards.

***

Elizabeth was seated next to Theodore, facing Mr Nott, who was sitting alone on the other side of the table.

“So, Elizabeth,” Mr Nott started jollily. “Your father still cutting people up like a madman, is he?” Elizabeth gripped her fork tightly at the mention of her surgeon Muggle father, and glared at Theodore. He gave her a look that was perfectly clear. He’s joking. Answer him!

“Yes, he is,” Elizabeth managed to reply briskly.

“And your mother’s well, is she?” Mr Nott continued as if he hadn’t heard the iciness in Elizabeth’s voice. “Still gossiping endlessly in that Muggle paper of hers?” Elizabeth dropped her fork and looked at Mr Nott in disbelief. He was gazing at her with an equal stare of sly amusement. Elizabeth smiled crookedly.

“Yes, she’s perfectly fine,” Elizabeth grumbled through gritted teeth. The rest of dinner was uneventful; Mr Nott’s comments and questions pertained to his son.

Theodore was glad to join Elizabeth in their room after dinner. As far as he could see, things had gone smoothly tonight. However, it appeared this was not so, as Elizabeth was huffy and slammed things around as she moved.

“What’s wrong?” Theodore asked in complete befuddlement, as Elizabeth turned her back to him. Things had seemed to go smoothly at dinner, although Elizabeth had been a little distant, and his father had teased a bit, things had seemed fine.

“I can’t believe you,” was the livid reply he received from a livid Elizabeth, who spun around and faced him with rage so apparent that it seemed her face was burning.

“What?”

“He was doing it again!” Elizabeth insisted in disbelief, feeling the usual defensive anger inciting within her.

“Elizabeth, allow me to say that you take things much too seriously!” Theodore argued hotly. Could she really have moulded such innocent teasing into insults? “The man was only joking!”

“Fine, I take things too seriously,” she said, and muttered under her breath.

“What’s that?” Theodore asked curiously.

“There’s a reason I don’t state my mutterings loudly and clearly, you know.”

“Fine. Don’t tell me,” Theodore said, shaking his head in defeat.

“I don’t want to talk about this anymore.”

“I was right there, and I’m sure he meant noth-“

Quickly, Elizabeth cut him off, “Are you hard of hearing? I just said I don’t want to go through that again!” Settling herself in bed, calmly fluffing her pillow and pulling up the covers, she said, “Look, tomorrow’s another day, alright? I’m tired. Let’s just go to sleep, and we’ll see about everything tomorrow. I really don’t feel up to arguing anymore. Good night.” Theodore exhaled loudly in frustration and reluctantly joined her.

***

Elizabeth descended the stairs to breakfast alone, her clattering shoes echoing loudly throughout the quiet mansion. Theodore was still asleep and for that Elizabeth was glad. After last night’s cumulative events, she could appreciate a quiet breakfast. Unfortunately, this was not meant to be. Mr Nott was at the table, feasting on bacon, eggs, and toast in his burgundy bathrobe.

“Good morning, my dear,” he said pleasantly.

“Good morning,” Elizabeth replied, stiffly seating herself as Mildred the maid laid out her usual breakfast of coffee and toast.

“That will be all, Mildred.” Mr Nott dismissed the maid. Elizabeth sipped her coffee and took a bite of her toast. Mr Nott was eating his breakfast quietly. Elizabeth was still on her guard, and for good reason, she thought, after hearing Mr Nott’s next words.

“Listen, Mudblood.” Elizabeth’s head shot up from her toast. Mr Nott was looking at her with extreme disdain.

“My son will not marry a Mudblood and taint the family’s pureness,” he said scornfully. “No matter what, I’m going to get rid of you. There are many ways to kill you, you know. Aggravating that horse was just one of them.” Elizabeth’s heart pounded hard in her chest. She had had no misconceptions that Mr Nott might change and become tolerant of her, but it was still a shock to hear him state this so bluntly. She clumsily pushed her chair back and made for the stairway.

“He won’t believe you, you know,” Mr Nott called after her. “He’ll think you’re making it up. He will never think the worst of his father. Besides, I could always tell Raja to lie again.” Elizabeth was dearly afraid he was right.

When she entered the room, she shook Theodore roughly until he woke up.
“What, what, what is it?” he asked, startled.

“I would never lie to you, and I don’t want to make problems between you and your father, you know that, don’t you?”

“What’s wrong?” asked Theodore, now fully awake and propped up on his elbow. Elizabeth sighed. She didn’t know how to put what happened downstairs into sensible, believable words. She wondered whether Mr Nott was right about Theodore not believing her. What would she do then? Everything had been fine between them before they had come to this place “ maybe everything would be well again if they left, although that was probably another argument completely.

“He threatened me,” she said finally, and repeated what Mr Nott had said, her eyes searching Theodore’s face for a reaction.

“I don’t believe that,” said Theodore, shaking his head.

“So you think I’m lying?” Elizabeth asked. She wasn’t angry; the emotion creeping up on her was more of a resigned acceptance.

“No, I don’t think you’re lying, I just think you’ve misunderstood.” Elizabeth realised just then that no matter how clever Theodore was, no matter how much he loved her, he would never think that his father didn’t want him to be happy. Mr Nott was right; children never think the worst of their parents. And besides, there was a witness who was ready to lie to him promptly if ordered to. Deciding to try a different approach, she said, “Why don’t we move out of this mansion? I mean, I know it’s your home and all, but why don’t we leave and start our lives together with our own little house?”

“Leave?” Theodore echoed hollowly He contemplated, his brows coming together in a frown. “But it would be wonderful to have our children grow up here,” he said thoughtfully. “The gardens, a mansion they can play hide-and-seek in endlessly, maids doing everything for them. It’s not a bad life.”

“Your father’s never going to leave us alone,” Elizabeth prodded gently. “You know that, don’t you?” There was no answer.

Elizabeth realised what was going on in his head “ an attempt at deluding himself. There was no way Theodore could think that Elizabeth had misunderstood Mr Nott’s words, and thankfully, he believed she wouldn’t lie to him either. Elizabeth knew there was only one thing left to do. “I didn’t want to have to do this, to have to force you to choose, but I’m afraid it’s either me or him.”

Theodore looked up, his eyes wide with shock. “You’d leave me?” he whispered.

“I can’t stay here. It’s a beautiful place to live and raise our children, yes, but I just can’t.”

Theodore leaned his head against the bed and closed his eyes. When he opened them, they were full of pain. “Did he really threaten you?”

“Yes. Theodore, he’s not going to stop trying to hurt me. He doesn’t want to disown you, obviously. And if he gets rid of me, you’ll quickly accept whatever bride he has in store for you in your despair,” Elizabeth explained softly. “I’ll pack and leave now,” continued Elizabeth. “Then I’ll meet you in Hogsmeade later. If I don’t see you within an hour after I leave, then I’ll know what you’ve chosen. I’ll neither respect your decision nor like it, but I’ll accept it.”

***

It was pouring with rain in Hogsmeade. Madam Rosmerta’s was extremely crowded, due to people seeking shelter from the rain. Elizabeth sat in the corner, with her bag beside her and a Firewhisky in her hand. She had left the mansion an hour and a half ago. Theodore was only half an hour late, but it didn’t exactly take long to Apparate.

Obviously, he was swept away with the mansion and the money, and the idea of going out into the unknown world with nothing terrified him. So he had decided to leave her. Elizabeth didn’t want to believe that she meant that little to him. He had told her he loved her more than anything, and that he would be willing to sacrifice anything for her. And now, when it came time to sacrifice, he backed out. He wasn’t going to leave riches and a comfortable life to be with her when he could have any other woman he wanted. And why should he?

Elizabeth took another huge gulp of Firewhisky and rested her head on the table. She would not start weeping yet. She couldn’t truly appreciate what had happened just yet, the drastic change her life had just gone through.

Elizabeth lifted her head. Somebody was making a scene. “I only wanted to get through, I didn’t mean to hurt you,” he was yelling. It seemed he was getting through. Elizabeth’s heart hammered. The voice was familiar. She craned her head.

It was Theodore.