Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Rivalries and Secrets by loligo8me

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Right, here's the second part, all tweaked and ready to serve. Enjoy. ;)

The Giant Squid: The Beginning

Chapter 2: The Giant Squid


Aramis knew it was past curfew, but he couldn’t bring himself to go to Gryffindor Tower. Instead he sat by the river’s edge, skimming stones and deeply breathing in the summer night air. It was so calm; so different to what had happened no more than an hour ago. He had seen two men rip their friendship to threads, and he could not help but feel guilty about it. What would happen to Hogwarts now? How would everyone react when they realised Salazar Slytherin was gone? Four Houses and three House Heads? That just sounded wrong.

Merlin, I really ruined it.

Of course, his uncle did not blame him. He had hugged him and told him it wasn’t his fault; he told him it had been only a matter of time before the two men would part ways.

But I was the reason.

Aramis sighed. He felt a cool breeze sweep through his hair. He watched as it caused the surface of the dark lake to ripple at its touch. The lake was always so calm, so dark and silent. It still shimmered in the moonlight.

Does the lake ever do anything but sleep and shudder? He skimmed another pebble and watched it disturb the surface.

“Well, well.” Aramis spun around quickly. “Mr. Selby,” said Salazar Slytherin with an odd, unsettling tone of amusement. Aramis noticed Woodcroft standing some distance behind the man, watching intently. Beside the boy were a fair few bags and chests. “It is past curfew, my boy. Shouldn’t you be at Gryffindor Tower?” Aramis looked down.

“Yes, sir.” But he couldn’t help but say what was on his mind. “A-Are you leaving, sir?”

“Ah, yes. I am. Tonight in fact, as you can see.” He waved dismissively in Woodcroft’s general direction, but his eyes were firmly planted on Aramis. He was smiling, but it wasn’t the sort of smile that made one feel at ease.

A sudden, loud growl startled the three wizards. They turned and saw Puddles, the three-headed dog, watching them a few meters away, chained to a tree. He growled again, specifically at Salazar.

“Stupid half-breed,” muttered Salazar, but as Aramis watched his former professor, he had the sudden feeling that the man was considering the beast.

He didn’t know why he did it, but Aramis took out his wand. He was scared. That was it. Tiny hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. He was suddenly acutely aware of himself, his body, his beating heart. His senses were more alert than ever. He watched as Salazar lowered his head for a moment, then he looked up with a blank expression on his face.

“You should not have meddled, boy.” He took out his wand and began to inspect it lazily. “You know, the founders had decided that Hogwarts needed a pet they could all agree on; a kind of guardian. Godric, of course, wanted that beast over there.” The wizard smiled. “And a snake wouldn’t do, no. But perhaps…” He chuckled to himself. “I must say that is the most amusing form of revenge I can think of.”

Aramis took a step back but his foot landed in water.

“Oh dear,” said Salazar amusedly. “Might I suggest you go in deeper? That is if you value your life.” Aramis did not move. Instead he tried to make sense of everything the man had said. Revenge… Salazar Slytherin was going to make Gryffindor pay. But what did that have to do with him?

“You plan to feed me to the dog?” asked Aramis as calmly as he could, but his voice wavered.

“You know, that is a pretty good idea. Don’t you think that is a good idea, Woodcroft?” The boy behind Salazar sniggered. “But no, I have a better plan for you, Mr. Selby,” he said as he raised his wand and aimed it straight at Aramis’ chest.

Fear engulfed Aramis, holding him still. He felt the cool, black water washing over his ankle.

“You may want to go in, Mr. Selby. I daresay water will be preferable to land.” Salazar laughed before finally steadying his wand and sending a spell to his target.

Aramis watched in shock as the jet of silver came towards him. He felt it hit him in the chest and then spread to the rest of his body. And everything changed. He shuddered violently. He felt his body being pushed and pulled and stretched. It did not hurt, but it was terrifying nevertheless. He felt himself falling into cool water which brought him unexpected relief, and then he raised his hands and found that they were no longer hands but large, black tentacles!

He tried to cry out but all that he heard was a strange sound in place of his own voice.

Aramis Selby was wizard no more.

*


Morning came and Godric Gryffindor awoke to the frantic cries of one of his students banging on the door. He quickly put on his robe and hat and let the boy in. The boy, Tobias Woodcroft, said what could not be true. But when Godric finally came to the grounds, the boy pointed to the beast and the blood and Godric’s doubt vanished almost completely.

“I saw it all, Professor! The beast ate him! It just… took Selby and ate him! Look!” The boy pointed to the blood around an otherwise innocent-looking three-headed dog.

Godric looked into the animal’s eyes. It did not seem as though the creature could kill. And it was still relatively young. But the evidence was there, the blood was there and Godric Gryffindor’s heart sank as it never had before.

He dropped on his knees and stared silently at the beast. Never had he felt such sorrow and loss as he did then. It broke his heart to know his nephew - the boy he loved as a son - was gone, and it shattered further knowing that it was his fault. Had he listened to the others he would have taken the monster away from the school. But no, he had been convinced that Puddles was harmless. The animal’s loving eyes convinced him so.

But how could he explain this?

“Godric!“ cried Rowena as she ran to him. “Godric, is it true?“ she said franticly as she knelt next to him. “Is it..?” One look at his horrified expression told her what she dreaded. “Oh Merlin,” she whispered. He shook his head, closed his eyes tightly and held his breath in fear of her upcoming harsh words.

But no harsh words came. Instead he felt an arm around his shoulders, bringing him closer to her. She whispered something, but even her soothing voice did not ease the pain. All he could think about was Aramis Selby and how he was gone for ever…

Oddly enough, however, the blood they found proved to be animal blood, a fact which contradicted Tobias Woodcroft’s claim that he saw Aramis being eaten by the three-headed dog. But Aramis’ body could not be found and, for most, that was enough to say that the boy was truly dead.

*


In the next few days, the entire school was aware of a new visitor. But the more popular idea was that it wasn’t really ‘new’, but ancient. It was said that the giant squid - for that was what the creature proved to be - had been asleep in the depths of the lake and had suddenly decided to make itself known.

At first the Founders were unnerved by it, but when one student had been saved from drowning by the mysterious creature, they warmed up to it. The Giant Squid became somewhat of a guardian at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It watched the edges of the lake and pushed first years’ boats across it every year. Every Summer it would play with students by the shallow end of the river or relax under the shade of tall trees. And every Winter it would disappear into the darkest depths of the lake.

It did not seem to age or lose its gentleness. Curiously, it often rested its many tentacles on the shore, as if it longed for the feel of grass and mud.

Of Aramis Selby little was mentioned in a handful of History books. The people who had known him had lived and died. Time had worn the details of his life away and his tale slowly morphed into something very different. But the Giant Squid remembered. It remembered and lived with a small trace of hope that someone would some day lift the curse that had been placed upon him.

He remembers, and hopes, and waits.

The End of the Beginning


A/N: Hmm... it does sound like there's more to it, doesn't it? The curses, the diary... *gasp* could there be a sequel?!
Peace out. :)