Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

R.A.B. and the Beginning of the End by Wicked Wench

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Just venturing into JKR's world if only for a little while...

Special thanks to Dorea Azure for a great Beta read!

As the sun rose over the southern Mediterranean Sea, Richelle woke. At first the sunlight entering the window confused her, and then she remembered that she was in a bedroom on the opposite side of her home, and not the one in which she usually slept. The mattress was a bit too firm for her liking, and the pillow felt strange, as she was used to sleeping on the amethyst silk pillow that was her favorite. While she’d barely slept, what slumber she had found was the most peaceful respite she had experienced in nearly eighteen years. In all that time, she had almost forgotten the warmth of her husband’s arms, but still, she roused herself and tip-toed down the hallway, careful not to wake her guests as she made her way to her sunny kitchen to brew some morning tea.

She filled her favorite teapot with water and put it on the stove. As she opened the cabinet to procure some tea leaves, her mind raced. She could not believe that she’d informed Severus about the death of their son. The memory was still so raw for her, and she had been so angry with Severus. For years, she’d blamed him solely for the boy’s death. She admonished herself, thinking that she must remember to guard her secrets of the past eighteen years more carefully.

The shrill hiss of the boiling water returned Richelle to the present. It had been twenty years since she had married Severus “ she still couldn’t believe she’d taken vows just before her sixteenth birthday, entering into a marriage that was, in effect, over in less than two years. She placed the tea leaves in a cup to steep and heaved a sigh. She knew that now was not the time to reconcile with Severus. She knew that she had larger priorities on her agenda and could not take the time to discover if she could trust him completely. Frankly, at this time, she just could not take the stress of rebuilding their bond. Yet, deep in the inner recesses of her heart, she was sure that Severus never completely turned to the Dark Lord and that one day she could take time to reignite their relationship. The shuffling of footsteps on tile floor announced her nephew entering the room, so she retrieved another cup from the sideboard.

“Good morning, Draco.” She poured him cup of the freshly brewed tea.

“’Morning.” He took the cup from her and offered a slight smile as he took a seat at the small dinette in an alcove with a large window.

“I’m glad the others aren’t awake yet. I have wanted to talk to you.” She paused, sensing that he was not quite comfortable enough to have a personal conversation “I take it your accommodations here are acceptable. I know it is not quite Malfoy Manor, but “”

“No. I mean yes, it’s fine. I like it here. I actually enjoy being near the shore; and the tropical weather is so different for me.” He bit his lips and glanced around the kitchen. “But I was expecting something more of a “ ”

“No, Draco I would not live in a cave. I didn’t stop living just because I went into hiding. When I left, I wanted something other than a musty manor or castle. I figured that if I had to give up my entire life, I may as well live in a climate that is enjoyable, in a house that I love.” She could feel him relaxing and enjoying the chat, though she could tell he still had many questions.

“So,” his voice was shaking slightly as he asked, “so, how did you do it?”

Richelle’s lips formed a smile and her silver eyes brigtened. “I have certain skills, Draco, that made it easy for me to disappear. You’ve seen for yourself that I am a Metamorphmagus, and I am sure that you know how rare that is.” She paused and sipped her tea. “It has been a great advantage to me while I have been in hiding. Every time I leave this house I change myself into a second identity I have created for myself.”

She stood and furrowed her brows. Draco drew a quick breath and nearly choked on a sip of tea as a plump looking, middle-aged witch with graying red hair and blue eyes took the place of his lovely aunt.

“Draco, meet Miranda Goshawk,” Richelle said, her melodious voice sounding high-pitched as well as satisfied and amused. “I’m sure that you are familiar with my books, as they are required texts at Hogwarts.”

“Merlin, you are brilliant!” Draco’s silver eyes were open wide.

She laughed, crinkling her face again, instantly becoming Richelle once more.

“Brilliant disguise if I do say so myself, but not a very comfortable one “ though it has allowed me to earn a solid living.”

She watched her nephew lower his gaze and anxiously take another sip of the tea. She knew his pain, his shame for what he had done.

“Draco, I have been in Hogsmeade for over a year, and given my skills, your headmaster let me come to the castle whenever I wanted. I watched you all year.”

His eyes looked fiercely into hers. “You spied on me?”

The intense eye contact opened the window to his soul. Inside he was afraid; a shaking boy kneeling at Voldemort’s feet, frightened of the vile task given to him and desperately trying to survive. “It wasn’t that I was spying on you, Draco, but rather, I was trying to get to know you better.”

“You thought I was like him, didn’t you?” Draco asked.

“Like Lucius? I confess I was worried, but,” she hesitated. “I know you are nothing like him. I know that your heart wasn’t in your task. I know that you say and do things as a form of bravado, swaggering to hide your true feelings.”

“I don’t swagger.” His tone was incredulous.

“Oh yes you do, dear,” she smiled. “I believe that bravado of yours is what makes you so popular with young ladies, like that Pansy Parkinson.”

Richelle smirked as she watched a patch of scarlet creep up on his snow-white visage
“So what’s with you and Snape?”

Richelle raised her brows at the quick change of subject thinking it was an attempt to escape his own discomfort, and cocked her head at her nephew.

“Well,” she paused; she didn’t want to tell him everything, not yet. “We were involved. No, we were in love, Draco.”

“Were?” Now Draco was smirking, and Richelle felt a heat begin to rise in her own face.

“Playing inquisitor today, are we?”

“I’m curious. I mean, you are quite the looker for someone of your age, and he’s…well, I mean…he’s””

“Attraction, Draco,” she sighed, taking another sip of tea, “is not always physical. However, I happen to find Severus quite appealing, even at his current age, but let’s make that our little secret.”

Their laughter woke the others, and they were soon joined by Narcissa and then Severus. When her husband looked at her, she opened her mind to him enough to let him know that she wasn’t quite ready to move beyond civilities in the presence of Draco and Narcissa. Not yet. He acknowledged her with a blink and followed her to the veranda. Overlooking the ocean as it did, the view was spectacular”waves bouncing on a white sand beach, the sunlight dancing on the water’s surface “and when she looked at her husband standing beside her in her own personal paradise, Richelle found herself once again lost in her memories.

Standing in the middle of Club Keyo’s dance floor, Richelle could not believe her husband’s audacity. How dare he jump to her rescue but refuse to allow her to speak on his behalf as well! Sirius Black was making a comment, something about her dumping Severus, but they both ignored him, so he sauntered back to the bar.

“I will not have you defending me as though I’m some weak, pathetic--,” Severus started.

“Honestly, Black is no threat to you!” She glowered at him, but still managed to notice the man entering the bar behind him.

“I never said he was, but I don’t””

“You need to be more open-minded!” She interrupted him and his eyes showed a hint of understanding. “Lucius is here,” she continued mentally,“ talking to Barty Crouch. I’ll meet you at home in ten minutes.” And with those thoughts, she stormed towards her brother.

“Lucius?” She said meekly when she reached him.

“Richelle, shouldn’t you be in school?” Her brother drawled and heaved a sigh, as if he resented the intrusion.

“And shouldn’t you be at home with your wife?” she retorted. “How is Narcissa?”

“Barty,” Lucius ignored her question as he turned his attention to his companion and gestured, “you remember my sister.”

The young man nodded as he sipped his drink, and raised his brows to greet her; he had asked her out on numerous occasions, he certainly remembered her. Richelle felt her stomach tighten, reminding her how much she hated the Slytherin who had just finished Hogwarts last term.

“Barty, if you will excuse us for a moment,” Lucius intoned. “We have a bit of family business to discuss.”

The other man excused himself and went over to join another group of men.

“Narcissa could use an owl from you, Chelle. She was disappointed that you chose to spend the holiday with that mud “”

“Lucius, I haven’t been welcome in the Manor for years It’s hardly fair for you to expect me to give up the life I have built for myself just because the old man is dead now.”

“Your sorrow at his passing is touching.”

“You know how he treated me, Lucius. My parentage was never my fault.” She felt white hot anger rush to her face, but she kept her emotions in check, knowing that she had to protect her thoughts. “Never mind that. How is Narcissa?”

“She lost the baby.” Lucius casually sipped his Firewhiskey as if he had just told her it was raining outside.

“No! Oh, Lucius, I am so sorry.” She moved to embrace him. This was the third child that Narcissa had miscarried.

“I am fine, but Narcissa is devastated.” He stopped for a moment and looked at his sister. “So why are you not in school? You haven’t been expelled have you?”

“Of course not!” Richelle couldn’t help thinking that her brother wanted nothing more. “I had permission to leave for Lily’s birthday.”

“Oh,” Lucius looked over to the group celebrating in the corner. “I thought you were here with Severus; perhaps you are seeing him again.”

Richelle tensed, but her brother did not notice. She knew he was up to something, and she had to find out. His Occlumency skills were no match for her capabilities as a Legilimens as she could now do the spell without a wand. She knew he wanted something on Severus. He was looking for a way to get to him. She was determined to give him nothing.

“I told you,” she kept her voice even, “that git dumped me two years ago. Seems he found someone else more appealing.”

“He seemed to find you appealing when I came in here.” Lucius lifted his Firewhiskey to his lips and took a drink. “Perhaps he’s had a change of heart.”

“What you saw,” she retorted, “was a who-has-the-bigger-wand contest between he and Sirius Black. Those two have hated each other since their days at Hogwarts, and I kept them from fighting for Lily’s sake. No one should ruin her birthday.”

“Very well then,” Lucius stated. Richelle knew he was frustrated by her response. She could sense that he wanted something from Severus. No, not Lucius; it was Voldemort who wanted Severus. Lucius was trying to recruit him on Voldemort’s behalf. Was she to be a pawn?

“I need to go, Lucius. I am returning to Hogwarts shortly, and I need to say my good-byes to my friends. I will owl Cissy soon.” She gave him a peck on the cheek and walked away, feeling his eyes follow her as she went.

As the conversation lulled behind her, Richelle was brought back to her island home, keenly aware of the presence of Narcissa and Draco.

“Would you like to stroll along the beach with me, Mother?” Draco looked at Richelle and winked as Narcissa nodded in agreement.

Richelle watched as they descended the wooden stairs that led from her deck to the beach, then exchanged a look with her husband. “He’s trying to give us some privacy, I think.”

“I know your nephew a bit better than you,” Severus began, “so I doubt this action is selfless.”

“Oh, it’s not,” Richelle smiled. “He’s a bit bored and thinks there is drama to be found in us.”

“What were you thinking about just then?” Severus inquired.

“Lily’s birthday.”

“I thought of that just last night.”

Their eyes connected again and they were both lost in a memory.

When she arrived at Spinner’s End, Richelle found her husband sitting in his favorite chair with another Ogden's in his hand. She motioned for him not to rise, then removed her outer robes and climbed into his lap. She brought her lips to his, parting them with her tongue, and drinking in his essence. He rose and carried her up a hidden staircase to their bedroom.

“I have wanted to do that for hours now,” she cooed after they had been together. “Let’s not waste one more-” she was interrupted by knocking at the front door. Her husband’s eyes narrowed and his lips thinned, and she knew that she should hide. He threw on his robes and left their room.

She crept down the stairwell after him and covered herself with her invisibility cloak. From behind the door she could heard the voices in the other room. It was Lucius and Barty Crouch.

“Lucius,” Severus said coolly, “it is a bit late for a social call.”

“Well, Severus, this isn’t exactly social,” Lucius drawled.

“So, what do you want?”

“I think you know what we want,” grunted Crouch.

“Severus, I think you have desires too.” Lucius’s words rolled off his tongue smoothly. “If you were to give yourself to the Dark Lord’s service, then you could have everything you want.”

“I have everything I need.”

“But not everything you want. You could do much better than this, Severus. Much better. And with better belongings, you might be able to obtain everything else that you want as well.” Richelle could imagine the haughty look on Lucius’s face as he surveyed Severus’s dilapidated furniture and home.

“What are you implying, Lucius?”

“You could get my sister back.”

“What makes you think that is what I want?”

“I saw you with her tonight. You seemed to be arguing. I am telling you, Severus, with a little more power, you could win her back and away from Sirius Black.”

“Black?”

“Yes, I spoke with Chelle before she left with Black tonight. I believe they are seeing each other now thanks to your good friend, Lily Potter.”

Richelle was amazed at Lucius’s lies. How easy it was for him to forsake the truth!

“You know I cannot have my sister with that man, Severus. I know that she once had feelings for you, and I want to see her marry someone with a more reasonable view on life.”

“Lucius, I told you””

“If this stupid git don’t like her, Lucius, then I’ll take her away from Black myself. I always thought she was striking.”

Before hearing his next words, Richelle knew that her husband’s emotions had gotten the better of him. He had always been prone to jealousy.

“Lucius, what do you need me to do?”

Furious at his submission, Richelle Apparated to Hogsmeade and made her way back to the castle.

“I was stupid,” Severus brought them back to the present.

“We all have our moments.”

“But my jealousy destroyed our relationship. In essence, I killed you; or at least I thought that I had.”

Draco and Narcissa returned from their stroll just then. Draco looked at the couple, and Richelle could sense that he wondered what was transpiring between them. The four of them resumed their small talk and enjoyed the muffins she conjured until the arrival of an owl interrupted them.

Richelle greeted the bird with a piece of breakfast sausage. “Thank you, Portia, your speed is truly incredible.”

Richelle opened the post and smiled at its contents. She wouldn’t inform the others just yet; frankly she didn’t want to hear the objections. Instead she scrunched her eyes and became her alter ego.

“Well, my dears, it is time for phase two to begin,” she said, before Apparating back to Diagon Alley.

“Did you see her?” Severus was shocked. “Did she just become…”

“Miranda Goshawk,” Draco affirmed and then noticed a discontented look on his professor’s face.

“Is she?”

“She just told me that’s how she has earned a living,” Draco replied.

Severus smiled and shook his head. “How could I have missed that? I have met Miranda Goshawk at least five times over the last fifteen years.”

Draco raised his brows and gave a lopsided smile. He wished he had known his aunt his entire life.


Preview of the next chapter:

“…That man you were hugging is my uncle. That vile evil boy is my brother’s son, and the beady-eyed monster,” she hesitated for just a moment, “is my husband.”