Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

R.A.B. and the Beginning of the End by Wicked Wench

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Obviously, I'm just playing with someone else's creation. I am just
The next morning Richelle awoke before her husband and went to seek her daughter. Heather, she knew, despite any façade, would be upset about meeting her father. She found the girl on the veranda watching the sun rise.

“Heather, I “” Richelle just did not know where to begin.

“I couldn’t sleep last night. Not a wink.” The girl never took her gaze from the horizon. “How could you, Mother?”

“Heather, there is so much to this situation that you do not understand.” Richelle wanted to assuage the anger she heard resonating in her daughter’s tone of voice.

“Understand? That’s the understatement of the year. I can tell you I understand how unfair you have been to me, to my father, and to Uncle Mattie.” Heather shuddered.

“Heather, please listen.” Richelle went to her side.

“You know he pines for you. I saw him just three days ago. I told him you were coming home soon. Merlin, this will break his heart.” She turned to face her mother.
“Heather, I have always been honest with him. He knew about my feelings and I never offered him anything but friendship. “ Richelle took a deep breath, not wanting to think about her good friend.

“Some friend you are.” The younger girl narrowed her eyes into silver slits.

“Heather!”

“I swear, Mum, I have never been so disappointed with you in my whole life. I looked up to you. I admired you, and you are nothing but a lying coward!” Heather turned around, again facing the sea.

“Heather, darling, you do not understand. It was a bad time when I left Britain. I was fleeing out of fear for my life and my unborn babies. Your father, well, he was living rather dangerously.”

“Voldemort?” Heather’s pitch softened .

“Yes, Heather, he was one of the Death Eaters. It is really hard to escape that life.”

“But you did, and so did Uncle Matt. Why didn’t you ask my father to flee with you?” Heather turned a perplexed eye to her mother.

“Heather, it is a long story. We should probably all three discuss this, you, your father, and I.”

“I cannot believe he doesn’t hate you for keeping me a secret for eighteen years.” Heather stopped and looked at her watch. “Great, almost seven.”

“Do you need to be somewhere? I thought you would have the whole weekend with us.” Richelle tried to hide the disappointment rising into her throat.

“Well, I didn’t know there would be so many house guests, and I had planned a surprise for you.” Heather looked around and sighed.

“What surprise?”

“Uncle Matt is bringing us breakfast. I forgot to owl him last night to cancel. Bugger!” Heather slammed her fist on the rail.

“Uncle Matt?” Neither of the women heard Severus approach, but when Richelle looked up, she could tell from the expression on his face that he did not like the idea of Uncle Matt.

Before she could speak, her daughter answered for her, “Matthew Gladstone is an old friend of Mum’s. They went to school together. He has lived here almost as long as we have and has become like family to us.”

“Gladstone?” Severus looked at his wife. She knew he remembered her using that name as a ruse once before.

“Um, well, Severus, you see, he well”“

A loud pop sounded behind him, announcing the arrival of Matthew Gladstone. As Severus turned to face the man, Richelle silently winced.

“Black?” Severus spat out the name in disgust.

“Snape?” The man whom Heather was rushing to embrace echoed in disbelief.

“So, Severus, I suppose you remember Regulus then.”

“Regulus?” Now Heather was confused.

“Yes, well, Heather, Matthew Gladstone is an alias for Regulus Black. Reg, well, he was in just as much trouble as I was when he escaped, so he completely changed his name.” Richelle glanced nervously between her friend and her husband.

“Snape, what are you doing here?” Regulus Black squeezed out a question.

“I could ask you the same, Black.”

“Well, I was invited. These girls are my family; I look after them.”

“Well, I was invited too, and Richelle is my wife and Heather my daughter.” A smug smirk appeared on Severus’s lips. He always thought Regulus Black was a fool, a dimwit. As much as Severus hated his brother Sirius, he thought Regulus too was a complete imbecile and he loved besting him.

“Well this is awkward.” Richelle could think of nothing else to say.

“Indeed.” Heather narrowed her eyes at her mother, completely disgusted by how her mother’s lies had led to this uncomfortable moment. “Dad, why don’t we go get some tea.”

Severus did not want to leave, not even with his daughter. Was his wife involved with Black? Had she been in the past? He wanted answers, yet he also wanted to show his daughter his reasonable side. So, he turned and followed her into the cottage.

Richelle tried to smile at the wizard who stood before her. “Reg, I don’t know what to say.”

“You know, Chelle,” he muttered quietly. “I’m not surprised. You’ve always told me that you still loved him. I always knew that you could not love me”“

“But, Reggie, you know I do love you. You have been a rock for me. You’re family. Like a brother.”

“Ouch.” He shook his head. “I don’t want to be a brother.”

“Oh Reg, I am so sorry I hurt you.” Richelle touched his arm benevolently.

“Don’t be sorry, Chelle. I have done this to myself.” He pulled her into an embrace. “Besides, I am actually happy for you and for Heather. You deserve a chance.”

In the kitchen, Severus struggled to not look out the window while his daughter prepared the tea.

“He’s crazy about her.” The girl offered him a cup.

Severus took the cup and had a sip.

“He’s been in hiding for years. He stayed here for awhile, but moved to the mainland when I was little. “

When her father said nothing, she continued.

“This past year, he took care of me while she was gone. She told him she was doing research for a new book. I even spent the holidays with him.”

Severus focused on his breathing. Stay calm. He was irate that Regulus Black knew his daughter better than he did, but he could sense her affection for the other man.

“I’m glad he’s here today,” she hesitated. “I mean, it’s time that he knew the truth about you and that there is no chance for him with Mum.”

Severus looked up and found his voice. “And, are you content with that? You seem to be rather fond of Mr. Black.”

He was worried about her response.

“Dad,” she said as she gazed into his eyes, “I have always wanted a father. Mattie, I mean Regulus, has always been there for me and he will always be special to me. “

Severus nodded.

“But I am so happy to have you, to know you. This is the opportunity I have dreamt of for so long and never thought possible.”

Severus smiled.

“Don’t get me wrong, though. I am angry. Mostly, I’m angry with Mum for keeping this secret, but I’m angry that the whole situation had to happen.”

Severus wanted to touch her, but he held his arms by his side. “Don’t be mad at your mother. She was rash, yes, but she did what she did because she loved you.”

Heather smiled and went to embrace her father. “Let’s take this tea outside now.”

They found Richelle and Regulus looking over the ocean in silence.


“We brought some tea out for you.” Heather placed a tray on the little table.

“Thank you,” Regulus started to say but faltered. “Thank you, dear, but I don’t think I’ll stay today.”

Severus was cheering inside, but could see the heartbreak on all three faces. “That isn’t necessary, Black.”

“Well, I do have a lot to do today, and I realize that the three of you have a lot to learn about each other.”

“Don’t be a stranger, Regulus, please.” Richelle’s eyes were misty.

“Oh, I won’t be. I’ll drop by sometime next week for dinner; I’d love to see Cissy again. I’m dying to get to know that boy of hers. I’ll bring the wine.”

Both women smiled brightly.

“Regulus?” Severus knew what he needed to say, and it pained him to do it.

“Yes, Snape?”

“Thank you.”

“For “ “

“Thank you for taking care of my girls when I could not. I owe you more than I can say.” He extended a hand to the other wizard.

“You’re welcome.” Regulus offered his hand too. “Just don’t hurt them again or you will answer to me.”

With that Matthew Gladstone, otherwise known as Regulus Black, Disapparated back to the mainland.

Heather and her two parents stood in awkward silence for a moment, and then she turned to them.

“I think it’s time that I get the truth.” The girl’s eyes narrowed and she turned to the table, taking a seat. “I want every detail.”