Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Come Back to Me by Ella Norman

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I wanna find out where the moon goes,
When it leaves the western sky.

Something about the early morning sky had always enchanted her. The iron grey clouds were just visible through the half-drawn curtains, and just along the horizon a rim of pink was peeking out from its hiding place of the night. We had fallen asleep together on the couch the night before after a night of whispering quiet words of worship in one another’s ears and remembering the golden years when we were young.

The moon still shone like a silver orb, hanging just over the horizon in the early morning sky. Her world was complete, and everything was perfect. Her Ronald was back home, and she wanted nothing more than that. All she wanted was to love and be loved in return.

And that dissolves again til morning
When azure turns to gold.
Azure turns to gold.

Now the pinks were dissolving into brighter shades of gold like bubbling champagne in the glasses they had raised to one another the night before. Those had been reflected in his eyes and she had thought it wonderful, but it was nothing to the azure wonder that lay in his eyes now. She loved him, and he loved her, and nothing more was necessary for her complete and total happiness.

He was stirring now. As his eyes fluttered open, their azure infinity caught some of the golden sunrise. “Good morning,” she murmured, a soft kiss falling to his lips, where it was met with a genuine smile. A genuine smile, the first one in years from him, and the first one she had known in her lifetime. She loved. Oh, how she loved him.

Gonna sleep with one eye open.
Gonna keep the shades half-drawn.

She rose from her abode on his chest and walked to the window. The full light of the rising sun fell upon her and he smiled to see her beauty. This was the woman he remembered ” the one that he loved. The gold of the early morning light was reflected in her amber eyes and kissed her glowing skin. Her hair was not bushy now, he noticed, but it fell in soft ringlets around her face. Oh, how he wished that they could stay like this forever.

She drew the shades so less light fell upon her and glided toward the western window where the iron-grey sky still reigned. There, the moon hung like a tribute to the newfound love between them. It was reflected in her eyes. Oh, if only they could see them now. Surely, this is how it should be. This was true beauty defined.

Nearly silent, dressed in shadows,
Lines and colors fall.
Lines and colors fall.

She drew the western shades and the light of the moon fell to her feet. The lines of pink and orange fell upon her from the east, creating an angelic glow around her golden face. Ron was left speechless by the angel before him. She laughed and turned to look at her with a smile on her face, a true smile, the first from her in what seemed like centuries. The smile was in her eyes and all over her body, reflected in the aura that followed her.

Ron noticed for the first time the ethereal glow that the play of light and color, coupled with the white nightgown that she wore, created around the soft and beautiful figure of Hermione Granger, the girl ” nay, the woman ” that he thought he knew so well. She seemed clothed in shadows, surrounded by the aura of light that was her beauty.

Gonna watch her through the window,
Just as I watched you before.

Ron did not have to touch her, he did not have to smell her, he did not have to taste her. He was content to hear the laughter of angels falling like bells around him. He no longer remembered that he had left her, if only he could behold the vision of light that stood so radiant before him.

What could have ever separated them? In an early morning such as this, meanings were irrelevant. Only that they were here together at last ” that was all. He was content to watch the angel that stood before him. He had watched her before in the former years, but never like this. She had been a girl before, but this woman he felt he barely knew. Yet, he knew her better than any he had ever known before.

A smile knows but just won’t tell me.
I just watch her go.
I just watch her go.

The smile that rested so confidently on her lips was reflected in her eyes and seemed to shake her whole body with the wonderful force of it. The first genuine smile in years from her, and it was directed at him. He felt so blessed to be in her presence, and the smile on her face flew to him and curved his lips upward in a grin typical of the Ronald that she once knew.

The smile on her face suggested that she knew all along that he would come back, and he could scarcely believe that he had remained in her mind for the four years in which he had betrayed her. In his eyes were the love that had flowed out of her into his mind. She loved him more than he could ever know, and that was all right. He loved her with a fire more passionate than ever before, and yet he was content to watch. She laughed again and began to move toward him slowly, almost as if she was floating.

Now I know just where the moon goes,
When it leaves the western sky.

Surely this was the true meaning of happiness. Surely there was nothing on the earth but Hermione and her radiant glory. He knew what happiness was, and she was back. He had come back to her after so many years of waiting and wondering. Courage was what it had taken for them both to be happy, and she was happy with him here. Oh, Merlin, she was happy, and so was he.

And that dissolves again til morning,
The moon is in your eyes.
The moon is in your eyes.

He rose from his place of resting to meet her. A wider smile than before dawned over her face as the light of the sun fell on her face. The fire had crackled down to a nothingness, the shades were half-drawn, but in her eyes sparkled the light of the moon.

Ron took a bold step and slid his hand onto the waist of her silken nightgown. Their hands met in midair, right where they should have met. The sad, mournful tune on the record player had stopped during the night, and now they danced to the slow tune that played in their minds. Looking into each other’s eyes and smiling true smiles they passed away the hours of the early morning.

“Oh, Ron,” she gasped after a few moments. Her eyes sparkled with pleasure. Oh, Merlin, he loved her. He loved her. “The moon! It’s in your eyes.”

The moon is in your eyes.

He was more than certain that she did not see the moon in his eyes, but the shining orb of light and of love that she had created in his heart. Nothing, he was certain, would ever take her away from him again. Ever. They would be together forever, no matter what. But these ” these were thoughts for other days, other times, other lives, for now they were dancing, the sun was rising, and the moon was in her eyes.

The moon is in your eyes.

******
Based on "The Moon Song" by Norah Jones

A/N -- Yay it's finally finished! Thanks to all of you who read this faithfully through to the end. I love you all, and hope you'll read some of my other stories.
Thank you,
~Ella