Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Flowers Aren't Enough by SeaIsleWitch

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Happy Valentine's Day! This can be seen as a flashback for my trilogy - Romance, Slytherin Style.

A note to my readers: I will be finishing BOTH my trilogy (Romance, Slytherin Style) and Pure & Proud well before July 21st.
Flowers Aren't Enough
By Sea Isle Witch





"Pansy, have you seen Blaise?"

"Not since breakfast," she replied, sinking into a chair by the fire.

"Blaise is taking me to Madam Puddifoot's today," Daphne said, joining her. "What are you and Draco doing?"

Pansy shrugged. "He didn't say."

"I wish Blaise would hurry up," Daphne complained. "He primps more than a witch."

"So does Draco," Pansy said, smirking. Well, I do like his perfect hair and fresh breath.

"What are you still doing here?" Tracey asked, perching on the arm of Daphne's chair. Millicent sat on the ottoman, while a few other witches lingered near the common room entrance.

"Waiting obviously," Pansy snapped.

Tracey and Millicent exchanged a look.

"What?"

"Are you waiting for Draco?" Millicent asked cautiously.

Pansy rolled her eyes. "What do you think?"

"Well, I suppose you aren't, since we just saw Draco leave the castle."

Pansy felt a sharp pain in her stomach, but she knew better than to react. Draco left? Without me? Was he with anyone? Maybe I can ask Millie privately...

"Did you see Blaise?" Daphne asked.

"The last time I saw him, he was with you," Tracey said.

"You," Daphne called, signalling to a younger wizard. "Go see if Blaise is in the dormitory and hurry up." He scurried off.

Pansy stared into the fire. I don't understand what's going on. Draco seemed fine at breakfast. We always meet in the common room before going to Hogsmeade.

"Blaise isn't there," the boy reported.

"That's it!" Daphne screamed, standing up and stomping her foot. The boy ducked and retreated.

Pansy felt the same way -- worse even, but she would never make a public display. I will not cry...

"We should just go on to Hogsmeade, shouldn't we, Pansy? Maybe a few older Ravenclaws will appreciate us. Oh, that would make them jealous," Daphne ranted.

"Why not go out with a Gryffindor? There's nothing a Slytherin wizard would like less," Tracey said tartly.

"True, but I couldn't stomach that," Daphne returned. "What do you say, Pansy?"

Pansy stood up, dramatically smoothing her skirt. She tucked her hair behind her ears, while she tried to think of a clever response. That's what they were expecting, but she wasn't herself today. She wasn't going to cry, not now anyway.

"Ravenclaw wizards it is."


~ * ~


As they walked along the path to Hogsmeade, Tracey spied a couple just ahead.

"Look, Pansy! It's Cho Chang, but who's she with?"

"Potter," Pansy said disdainfully. Unbelievable! Even Potter has a date for Valentine's Day!

"Potter and Chang!" Pansy said as she passed. "Urgh, Chang, I don't think much of your taste... At least Diggory was good-looking!"

Just as Pansy expected, the Slytherin witches laughed and jeered, adding to what she had started. This amused her, making her feel a little better -- for a second.

When they reached the busy village, the witches strolled purposefully to their favourite shop, winding their way amid the aimlessly wandering students.

"Honestly, you'd think they'd been drinking Befuddlement Draughts," Tracey groused, stepping around a group of Hufflepuffs.

"Why do they bother coming if they have no idea what to do?" Daphne said.

Pansy surreptitiously glanced around, dreading what she might see, but Draco was not there. What is he doing?

Inside Gladrags Wizardwear, Pansy engaged in a bit of shopping. "I'll have this scarf and the matching gloves," she told the saleswitch. Draco likes me in pink.

Daphne came over. "Pansy, what do you think of this green hat -- for me?"

"It's perfect."

As Daphne and the other witches made their purchases, Pansy browsed a rack of robes near the window. She spied Draco outside but quickly turned away. I hope he didn't see me looking! Pansy paced the shop. I need a plan!


~ * ~


With sycophants in tow, Pansy emerged from Gladrags and pranced right by Draco without even a glance. Angry, he whipped around and watched her enter Scrivenshaft's. I know she saw me! I'm hard to miss!

Draco sauntered into the shop, feigning interest in the quill sets. Millicent saw him and whispered to Pansy, who didn't acknowledge him. A dull ache replaced his anger. Normally, Pansy would be right by his side, laughing at his jokes and kissing him behind the shelves, but today of all days, she was avoiding him. Why, Pansy?

Blaise entered the shop, carrying a gigantic chocolate heart. He nodded at Draco and then presented his gift to Daphne.

Daphne kissed him on the lips with everyone watching.

"I'll see you later, Pansy," she said happily, leaving with Blaise.

Draco met Pansy's gaze, but she quickly looked away.

Well, if that's the way she wants to be... He spun on his heel, leaving the shop.


~ * ~


Draco left again! Pansy felt worse now.

"Ravenclaws," Tracey whispered to Pansy when a loud group of attractive wizards arrived.

"Perfect." Pansy bought a box of stationery, a journal and a few quills.

"Why are you getting all that?" Millicent asked.

"Watch." Pansy picked up all her parcels, including the one from Gladrags, and accidentally bumped into a friendly Ravenclaw pure-blood.

"All right there, Pansy?" he said, taking her packages.

"Hello, Eddie. It looks like I purchased a bit too much, and I still need liquorice wands from Honeydukes."

"I'm heading that way. I'll help you with these." He looked around the shop, presumably for Draco. "You're alone today?"

"Not any longer."

She winked at Tracey and Millicent as she left.


~ * ~


Draco intercepted Crabbe and Goyle. "What are you two doing?"

"Going over there."

Pucey, Warrington, Montague and Bletchley were across the street, so they joined them. For once, Draco didn't talk much.

"Isn't that your bird, Malfoy?" Warrington shouted, pointing at Pansy and Eddie.

Adrenaline coursed through his veins, and his hand flew to his wand, but he stopped himself from hexing Eddie. He didn't want Pansy rejecting him afterward -- in front of everyone.

"We're meeting later," Draco said dismissively, making an excuse. "Carmichael wants to go out with... Tracey, but Pansy has to agree to it first."

"Yeah, they all listen to Pansy," Goyle verified.

Good Goyle, thought Draco.

The talk turned back to Quidditch, but Draco was seething. What is she playing at?

"We're heading down to the Three Broomsticks," Draco said shortly, not able to stand it any longer.

"We'll be there later," Montague said.

Draco nodded and left with his two loyal companions.

"I thought we were going to Honeydukes," Crabbe said.

"We are." Because that's where she'll be.


~ * ~


Inside Honeydukes, Pansy watched in astonishment as Draco grabbed her parcels from Eddie. He then firmly escorted her outside, just as it started to drizzle.

He's going to apologise!

"What was that all about?" he demanded, sneering at her.

"You should know!" Pansy retorted, pulling her arm away.

"You act like this, after everything I've done for you?"

"Do you mean when you tried to humiliate me?" Pansy stomped away. Prat!

At edge of Hogsmeade, she glanced back. Draco was following her in the rain. She sprinted ahead, not wanting him to see her tears. She ran all the way to the castle and into the common room, where she paused to catch her breath.


~ * ~


Minutes later, Draco slid into the common room, drenched but holding a bouquet and her shopping under his cloak.

"Leave!" he yelled at the younger Slytherins sitting there.

Pansy fled toward the witches' dormitory.

"Pansy!"

She stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"Y-You don't know?" she said, not looking at him. Her voice was shaky, and she cursed herself for showing weakness.

"No."

"It's February fourteenth!"

"I know! Look -- I brought pink roses!"

Flowers aren't enough at this point!

She escaped into her dormitory and threw herself onto the bed, sobbing uncontrollably. That's when she saw it -- a pink box sat atop her pillow. Curious, she opened the lid, and a silver cupid flew out. It circled her, while playing a miniature harp and singing:

        Valentine, you are my witch.
        Meet me near the Quidditch pitch.
        Cupid will show you the way.
        I'll spoil you rotten all day.
She captured the cupid in the box and returned to the common room.


~ * ~


Draco stood by the fire, rubbing his temples and sulking. It humiliated her? Must've been her hag roommates! They couldn't possibly appreciate how rare and expensive a singing cupid is! Pansy should have known, though. My lyrics were perfect too.

She was suddenly next to him, cradling the box.

"Oh, Draco..." she whispered. "It's wonderful."

What? Wait... "You didn't see my cupid... until just now?"

"No, I hadn't." She gently placed the box on the table next to her parcels and the bouquet.

He took a deep breath. "Pansy, did you think I left without you -- on Valentine's Day?"

"Yes," she confirmed, biting her quivering lip.

"I had plans -- for us."

"I didn't know, Draco," she said, touching his face.

"I wanted to surprise you."

"Can we still..."

"Yes, let's go -- the rain has stopped."

She rested her cheek against his chest, and he wrapped his arms around her.

"I'd never forget my Valentine."



~ The End ~