Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Meetings by dink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Snape was escorted to a chair in the middle of the cavernous chamber. As he sat down, golden chains flared into life and entwined themselves around his arms and legs. He could move a little, but he could not stand up and, seeing this, the Ministry guards left him. Looking around, he noticed that most of the benches arrayed on all sides were empty. Only the seats immediately in front of him seemed to be occupied. The room was so dimly lit that he could make out nothing of the people sitting there. He had no way of knowing if Dumbledore was here. But then -- the old doubt resurfaced -- what if Dumbledore was here, and this was his plan all along? To trap Snape, trick him into a confession, and bring him here to face trial?

"Severus Snape," a curt voice rang out through the chamber, "you have been called here today, before the Council of Magical Law, to answer the charges that you are a Death Eater. It has been requested," he added, sounding irritated, "that this trial be held in closed session. The council has voted in favour of this action, and consequently anything that is said within these walls must remain within these walls."

This was interesting. Had Dumbledore arranged for the trial to be in secret? Snape would now be in less danger if he were to reveal that he was a spy, for no one outside this room would ever know. His doubts subsided, for the moment, and he listened as the man (what was his name? Croak? Crab? Something like that) continued, "A witness has already testified against you. Do you have anything to add before we proceed to sentencing?"

Already? Trying to gain a little more time, to work out what he was going to do, Snape asked, "Am I not to know exactly what I am accused of? Can I not hear the evidence that you have heard?"

There was a muttering from the other witches and wizards sitting on the higher benches. The man in charge (Crouch! Snape thought, triumphantly) leant back and had a murmured conversation with an indistinct figure in the row behind him. Then, "Yes, very well. Weatherby," this to a man, not much older than Snape, sitting on Crouch's left, quill and parchment in hand, "could you read out Alastor Moody's testimony?"

"Certainly, Mr. Crouch," replied Weatherby, rolling the parchment back a few inches. "A-hem. Err ... 'I was patrolling the streets of Nether Poppleton when I heard screams from the local park. On arriving at the scene, I discovered a Muggle in great distress and confusion. Another Muggle, who had been behind what I believe they call a bush shelter, when questioned remarked that they thought there had been some trouble with out-of-towners. They remembered hearing an argument, something about a snake or grapes, although they were not sure which. I wiped their memories and made a note of the details. Upon hearing that Snape had been spotted in Knockturn Alley soon after, in the company of Goyle, another suspected Death Eater, I immediately put the Aurors into action to bring him in.' ... and ... er ... " he unfurled another inch of parchment, "he then went on to say, 'Yes, I know, but you only have to look at him to see that --'"

"That will do, Weatherby, thank you," said Mr. Crouch quickly.

Snape was astounded. They had no direct, compelling evidence at all! The Ministry must be getting desperate if it was prepared to arrest people on such flimsy grounds. His quandary of whether or not to admit his guilt was completely forgotten in his astonishment at Moody's testimony. Shaking off a slight dizziness, no doubt due to lack of food (for they had provided him with nothing since his capture), Snape said loudly, "Is that it? You have arrested me, removed my wand, and imprisoned me all afternoon -- for that? You have no case against me at all!"

Mr. Crouch replied, with biting annoyance, "No case? Do you have an alibi for the night in question, when that unfortunate muggle was attacked?"

Snape was silent.

"I thought so," said Crouch. "And I think we would all be very interested to know what you were doing in Knockturn Alley last week. No doubt purchasing some new device for torture and pain in the service of Lord Voldemort!"

"No!" cried Snape, stung into responding. He half-rose from the chair, straining against the golden chains, not knowing what he was going to say before the words poured out of his mouth. "I was buying ingredients to make some Veritaserum!"

There was a sudden stillness in the chamber, as if everyone were holding their breath.

"Veritaserum?" said Crouch keenly. "What reason would an out-of-work wizard have to make such a potion?"

Feeling suddenly very light-headed, Snape collapsed back into his chair.