Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never Again by HandPFeather

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Special Thank you to White Raven, your Severus Snape is an inspiration to my own!



Thank you also to Allie and Frank - keep up the good work!


~~~~~~~
Horace Slughorn struggled to his feet as Severus Snape strode across the room purposefully.


“Thank you for this opportunity, Professor,” Snape said, shaking the older man’s hand.


“You have natural talent, Severus,” Slughorn remarked. “I am always happy to have an excuse to work with someone with such promise.”


Slughorn motioned to a seat and both men sat.


“Though most of your time will be spent with research, Severus, there will be times you will assist me with the students,” Slughorn explained.


“Students?” Snape asked, puzzled.


“Yes, you know, those little people running all over the place here. You used to be one,” Slughorn responded good-naturedly.


Snape scowled.


“I know you don’t like it, Severus,” Slughorn commented, “but it will do you good.”


Snape remained silent as his scowl deepened.


Horace Slughorn pushed back his chair and struggled to stand.


“I expect you would like to begin immediately?” Slughorn asked.


Snape nodded once, standing swiftly.


“I’ve cleared off three shelves for your supplies in my private lab,” Slughorn explained, holding out a piece of parchment. “This is your Restricted library pass. It is valid for as long as your remain under my tutelage.”


“Thank you,” Snape breathed, taking the parchment gingerly as if it would disintegrate with his touch.


“At the lab under your empty shelves is a list of the first ten potions I would like. You may start at your leisure,” Slughorn remarked.


Snape nodded once more and turned quickly, clutching the parchment to his chest tenderly. He walked the short distance to the lab to survey his new workspace. Snape nodded appreciatively to see that he would be located in the farthest corner away from the door. He knew Slughorn liked to feel well-connected, and so anticipated there would be many comings and goings in the private lab. He crossed the room and took a few vials out of his cloak pocket. He placed them carefully on his lowest shelf and smirked. He had not thought his return to Hogwarts would be so comfortable, as he almost thrived in these dark dungeons.


Snape found Slughorn’s list and scanned down it quickly noticing


-Wound Cleaning Potion

-Forgetfulness Potion

-Strengthening Solution


He could brew these in his sleep.


Snape returned the list to the counter below the shelves and shrugged in disappointment. He had not expected to be brewing never-before-seen recipes, but the banal list made him fear he would be wasting his time here. His hand almost tingled with anticipation however, clutching the piece of parchment. Snape sneered down at the potions list. He had almost forgotten about the library. What he would not learn from Horace Slughorn he would find in the dusty volumes of the Restricted Section.




The rain was falling steadily as Severus Snape climbed the tall marble steps of Hogwarts. He pushed open a heavy door and slinked in around the edge. Today was his first meeting with the Headmaster as Slughorn’s apprentice rather than as a Hogwarts student. Snape was uncharacteristically nervous as he made his way to the stone gargoyle at the entrance of the Headmaster’s office.


“Bertie Botts,” Snape said in disgust. The circular stair allowed him admittance and he was slowly ushered up to the Headmaster’s door. He knocked briskly.


The door opened of its own accord and Snape saw the gentile Headmaster sitting behind his desk, his eyes alight. Albus Dumbledore stood quickly and strode around the desk.


“Ah, Severus,” Dumbledore said smiling. “Professor Slughorn sings your praises daily.”


Snape remained silent, wondering how it was that this old man always left him feeling speechless.


Dumbledore clasped Snape’s shoulder and looked deeply into his eyes. Snape tensed briefly, waiting for the mental tug that would indicate Dumbledore was trying Legilimency on him, but it never came. What was it that Snape heard when he was a student here? Dumbledore read hearts, not minds.


“Are you satisfied with your apprenticeship, Severus?” Dumbledore asked motioning for Snape to sit.


“Of course, sir,” Snape replied, settling into a wingback chair.


Snape was surprised when Dumbledore settled himself into the chair next to him rather than in the one across the expanse of oak desk.


“Is Horace keeping you busy?” Dumbledore asked.


“Fairly,” Snape replied guardedly.


“Are you making some headway in the Restricted Section?” Dumbledore’s face broke into a smile.


“Yes, sir” Snape breathed excitedly, nodding.


“Good…good,” Dumbledore murmured. “Severus, would you have the time and inclination to experiment with a potion for me?”


Snape sat up a little straighter regarding Dumbledore curiously. Was the old wizard challenging him?


“Of course, sir.”


“Good…good,” Dumbledore murmured again, looking thoughtful. “I’m sure you know of a few different sleep potions?”


Snape nodded.


“I am in need of a potion that will allow me to have some control over dreams,” he continued.


“In what way?” Snape asked.


“I need to be able to sleep at times without dreaming,” Dumbledore replied.


“Have you tried Occlumency, sir?” Snape asked.


“What if someone has not yet learned Occlumency, Severus?” Dumbledore asked.


Snape nodded thoughtfully.


“Can you work on that?” Dumbledore asked.


“Yes, sir,” Snape replied, a note of genuine interest in his voice.


“I was happy to hear of your interest in studying with Horace,” Dumbledore told him, pushing up to stand. Snape remained silent, not sure what to say about this.


Dumbledore’s face broke into a wide smile. “It is good to have you back here, Severus.”


Snape stood as well. “Thank you, Headmaster.”


“Thank you, Severus. I had hoped this project would pique your interest. You are one of the best potions students I have ever encountered.”


Snape smirked, thinking of the few people he wished had heard these accolades.


“Good day, Severus. Let me know once you have something.”


Dumbledore walked with Snape back over to the door.


“Good day, Headmaster,” Snape replied.


Back in the private potions laboratory, Snape quickly wrote a short note to Lucius Malfoy. He paced back and forth a few times trying to catch up with the events of the past few hours. Snape felt the situation here at Hogwarts was a maze of confusion. Malfoy said that the Dark Lord had encouraged this new position, yet Dumbledore had already given him a secret assignment. Snape realized very quickly the precarious position he found himself in. His heart beat a little faster, picking up on the tension surrounding him. He would have to be very careful. He would have to remain practically silent and observe how the events that were being orchestrated around him would begin to unfold. He stopped pacing suddenly. What he really needed was a drink. He grabbed his travel cloak and headed to the owlery to post his note to Malfoy before heading toward the main entrance, his head swimming with a million different scenarios.


Severus Snape entered the dimly lit Hog’s Head tavern and walked quickly up to the bar. He ordered a glass of red wine and found himself a table in the corner farthest away from the door. He sipped his wine, staring into the fire and thinking about Dumbledore’s proposal. Snape shook his head and concentrated hard on his last exchange with Dumbledore. Once the memory of Dumbledore instructing him about the potion was shut away in his mind, Snape looked around at the people milling about the tavern. He returned his attention to the fire and swirled the cranberry-colored liquid in his glass.


Snape started as Lucius Malfoy placed a hand firmly on his shoulder.


“Always alert, Severus,” Malfoy reminded him with a frown.


Snape scowled. Being corrected by Lucius Malfoy always made him feel more self-conscious than he already was.


“A report already?” Malfoy asked, sliding down the bench seat across from Snape. Malfoy rested the head of his cane so it hung from the edge of the table, immediately next to his right hand and squinted at Snape.


“I hope you are not wasting my time.”


“Wine?” Snape asked, ignoring Malfoy’s last remark.



“I have already ordered cognac,” Malfoy replied. “What do you have to tell me?”


Snape remained silent as the bartender arrived with Malfoy’s drink. Once they were alone, Snape leaned forward and told Malfoy about his meeting with Lily, being sure to keep the subject of Violet to himself. He then recounted his interview with Professor Slughorn. He did not mention his meeting with the Headmaster.


Malfoy tipped back the last of his cognac and nodded his head.


“Now that we have that taken care of,” Malfoy began raising his hand.


At once, a woman approached and slid into the seat next to Malfoy.


“Severus, do you know my sister-in-law, Bellatrix Lestrange?” Malfoy asked.


The woman lowered her hood and Snape stood up halfway, leaning across the table and extending his hand. She placed hers gingerly in his own and watched intently as he brought her hand to his lips, a deep frown creasing her features.


“At least he has the manners of a pure-blood,” Bellatrix purred darkly.


Snape let go of her hand quickly and his eyes flashed. He stood to his full height.


“Bella, please. You know the Dark Lord’s orders,” Malfoy hissed.


Snape sat down heavily. He looked hard at Lucius Malfoy and then shifting his gaze to Bellatrix, he set his jaw, waiting for the verbal onslaught. It did not come.


“Now that you will be a regular inhabitant at Hogwarts,” Malfoy began, “the Dark Lord has sent Bellatrix to improve your Occlumency skills.”


Snape bristled, as did Bellatrix.


“Are you absolutely sure…” Bellatrix began.


“Silence!” Malfoy snapped.


Snape shifted uncomfortably as Malfoy leaned toward Bellatrix and murmured something he could not hear. Bellatrix pouted, but Snape noticed her hands relax on the surface of the table.


“I have assured the Dark Lord and Bella that you have already had a great deal of experience with Occlumency,” Malfoy stated.


Snape nodded.


“I do not anticipate this will take long,” he finished.


“When do we begin?” Snape asked, addressing his question to Malfoy.


“This evening,” Bellatrix responded in a clipped tone, pulling her hood up once again.


“Return to Malfoy Manor,” Lucius instructed as he and Bellatrix slid off the bench seat.


Snape finished off his wine immediately and gathering his things, hurried to catch up.




It was almost dawn when Snape returned to the silent room on Spinner’s End. Walking as softly as he could, Snape knelt before his old school trunk at the end of his bed. His hand clawed through fabric, bumped up against hard corners and finally curled carefully around a small, stoppered potions vial. His head was splitting so violently from mentally sparring with Malfoy and Bellatrix for most of the night. Even the mere thought of drinking the potion made him retch. He took shallow breaths of air through his mouth as he unstoppered the small vial with shaking hands. The liquid fought its way down Snape’s throat and he dropped the empty vial into the trunk. He remained rooted to the spot until the potion began to make its slow journey through his system.


When he could breathe normally again, Snape sat back on his heels and let his roiling stomach quiet. He pushed the lank hair out of his eyes and closed them wearily. The pain in his head had tapered off to a dull thud. Looking at the clock on his bedside table, Snape began rummaging in the trunk again for new robes. He felt considerably better after a shower and some clean clothes. He would even manage to make it to Hogwarts on time.


“I have to see Professor Dumbledore,” Professor Slughorn began, “I need for you to monitor my first potions class today.”


Snape rolled his eyes “ could this day get any worse?


Once Slughorn finished explaining his duties, Snape stalked into the empty potions classroom. Nothing had changed in this room since he had been a student here. Snape heard the sound of approaching students and steeled himself for the task at hand. He stood watching the students as they murmured and took their seats.


“Professor Slughorn has left the following instructions,” said Snape, without bothering to introduce himself.


He waved his wand lazily and the directions appeared clearly on the board.


“You are to work quickly and quietly,” instructed Snape with a sneer “ there would be no chattering while he was in charge.


The door to the dungeon opened and Snape looked up expectantly. Professor Slughorn tottered in carefully. Right behind him was a sight that almost made Snape gasp aloud.


Violet Evans shuffled over to the only empty table left, dumping her cauldron and books onto the surface. She sat quickly, never taking her bright eyes off Snape’s dark ones.


Violet distractedly pulled the cauldron toward her. Slughorn stopped next to Snape and turned slowly. Violet pulled her eyes away from Snape with difficulty and looked quickly at her instructions. She heard Slughorn telling him to leave as her hands reached automatically for the supplies at the end of the table. She misjudged the distance and the crash of the mortar and pestle seemed to reverberate around the silent room forever.


“Severus, please retrieve another from the supply room, would you? I will repair that one later,” Slughorn called after Snape, motioning toward Violet.


Snape left the classroom and walked to the supply room cursing under his breath. He had hoped to successfully evade Violet for as long as possible. He was sure that she had no idea until that moment that he was apprenticing at Hogwarts. Now he had to be concerned with whether or not she would betray his secret. He scowled darkly as he grabbed the new mortar and pestle. So many thoughts swam in his head as he strode back into the potions classroom.


Slughorn motioned in Violet’s direction when Snape appeared in the doorway. Snape walked over to Violet’s table and placed the mortar and pestle down gently.


“You will want to be more careful in the future,” he snapped.


“Yes,” Violet whispered, eyes averted. “I shall.”


Snape noticed her hand shook slightly as she clasped the mortar with her fingers and pulled it across the table.


“Thank you.”


The soft words floated through the loud footfalls as Snape strode from the room.