Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never Again by HandPFeather

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Special thanks to Allie who has kept me thinking and developing Violet more! Congrats to Frank ~ You made it, baby!


Reminder: I own nothing except Violet. Thank you Jo for letting me play in your world. I'm not making any money here either


~~~~~~~
Snape stood in Slughorn’s private laboratory, stirring methodically as his thoughts drifted back to Violet. The lines around his mouth deepened. The last thing he needed was this little girl nosing around. How he could have thought he would be able to avoid her was pure stupidity on his part. And the arrogance he had possessed in showing off his Dark Mark to her was unforgivable. He had currently placed himself in the precarious position of having to trust her to keep quiet. What a fool he had been! He snorted indignantly and pulled his thoughts back to the moment at hand.


The cauldron simmering slowly in front of him held his third attempt at a Dreamless Sleep potion. The first had caused nightmares, the second “ insomnia. Snape thought that this time he might have it. He filled a few vials and placed them on a rack to cool before stoppering them. The door to the lab opened and Snape glanced up to see Professor Slughorn tottering in.


“Severus,” Slughorn remarked, “how is it coming?”


“I have completed the list, Professor,” Snape replied. “This one is of my own design.”


“Splendid,” Slughorn remarked, reaching Snape’s table and peering into the simmering cauldron. “A sleep potion of some kind?”


Snape nodded once and Slughorn slapped him jovially on the back.


“The nose always knows,” Slughorn said, chuckling as he drifted away.


Snape grimaced and rolled his eyes.


“Oh and, Severus,” Slughorn began, half-turning back to Snape, who looked back up from the table. “Dumbledore has requested that you help tutor a student struggling with Potions.”


Snape looked at him in disbelief. “Who?” he spat.


“Violet Evans,” Slughorn explained.


Snape almost dropped the spoon he had unconsciously picked up out of the potion.


“I do not think--” Snape began.


“-- that it would be a good idea,” Slughorn finished, turning to face Snape fully. “Yes, Albus said you would say that. However, the Headmaster believes this would be most beneficial for Violet.”


Snape’s eyes flashed as Slughorn finished. “And it doesn’t appear that you have a voice in this decision anyway, Severus.”


Snape pressed his lips into a thin line and returned his concentration to the potion.


“You will begin with her tomorrow,” Slughorn told him.


Snape slept a whole night, for which he was thankful. He had no dreams that he knew of and woke with no symptoms customary of an ill-conceived potion. A few more nights of testing and he would share his new concoction with Dumbledore. A self-satisfied smile settled on his lips as he considered how to drum-up a run-in with Lily Potter.


The thought occurred to him in the shower. He would owl Lily to discuss Violet’s progress now that he would be working with her directly. How uncanny that everything fell so neatly into place.


Snape wrote the letter in slow, deliberate strokes and sent the owl before leaving Spinner’s End for the Apparition point.


When he arrived at the lab, Snape found a new potions list with a bit more advanced potions needed in the Hospital Wing. He also found another note from Professor Slughorn instructing him to meet Violet in the Potions classroom right after lunch. They would be meeting daily, the note explained, during the hour-long study break until Dumbledore told them otherwise.


Snape glowered and balled the parchment in his fist. He threw it in the air and flicked his wand at it. It exploded in a burst of purple sparks. He paced the length of the table and turned around. He found the idea of meeting with Violet daily bothersome. Everything about her unsettled him. The very thought of it made him remember how she clung to him in the banquet hall as she cried. His pulse picked up steadily and he frowned. He paced the length of the table again and then stopped suddenly. He now, however, had an iron-clad excuse to see Lily regularly; he hoped the Dark Lord would be pleased. He pushed his feelings of disquiet away. The most important job he had was to serve the Dark Lord and it appeared the Dark Lord was interested in keeping tabs on Lily Potter. Severus Snape was now in the perfect position to do just that.


Snape took lunch in the laboratory, where he reviewed the assignment he was to present to Violet Evans. At ten minutes to one, he cleared away his things and went into the Potions classroom to wait.


Violet entered the room quietly at exactly one o’clock. Snape stood automatically as she crossed the room towards him. They stood awkwardly for a moment until Snape motioned for her to sit at the nearest table.


“Dumbledore has asked that I review some lessons with you,” Snape explained succinctly.


Violet visibly wilted under his harsh glare.


“We will meet daily until your marks improve,” he continued.


Violet looked at Snape, her eyes a whirlwind of emotion.


Snape opened his mouth to speak, but the look in her eyes silenced him and he snapped his mouth shut.


“Why are you here?” she asked quietly.


“What concern is it of yours?” Snape bit back.


Violet was silent for a long moment. When she spoke her voice was barely audible.


“Because of what you are.”


Snape jeered at her.


“That would be funny if not coming directly from a Muggle-born.” He drew the last word out slowly and Violet flinched.


“I didn’t mean your heritage,” she spat, “I meant your Mark!”


Snape’s eyes flashed darkly but he remained silent.


Violet raised her eyes and met his gaze, holding it steadily.


“Who have you told?” he asked evenly.


She did not reply.


“Who?” he asked again.


When she still did not reply he leaned over the table, still holding her gaze; perhaps he should practice for his lessons with Bellatrix.


“What are you afraid of?” he sneered instead.


“You,” she replied simply, looking down. “You are the enemy.”


Snape recoiled as if slapped. He stood straight and rubbed his left forearm absentmindedly, his gaze drifting around the room.


“You would already be hurt, Violet, if I thought you were a danger to me,” he said darkly.


“I can’t work with you,” Violet said quietly.


“Fine,” he replied, his voice without emotion, his face a mask. “You tell that to Dumbledore.”


He turned on his heel, his robes billowing behind as he stalked back to Professor Slughorn’s private laboratory.


The owl from Lily arrived just as Snape was packing up his things for the day. He smirked. Lily would be happy to meet him to discuss Violet’s schoolwork perhaps as soon as tomorrow evening. She would await his return post. He decided not to respond until he determined what Violet would choose to do next.


Snape headed for the Restricted Section of Hogwarts’ vast library to continue his search for Legilimency and Occlumency. If he were to remain on the good side of the Dark Lord, he needed to keep his somewhat questionable activities for Dumbledore still secret. He read for another hour and then decided to make his way home.




Professor McGonagall looked up to see the petite, seventh-year Ravenclaw girl studying her intently. Violet was twirling a strand of her long, wavy auburn hair unconsciously with her finger.


“Can I help you, Miss Evans?” McGonagall inquired.


Violet, who looked to be making her mind up about something, nodded her head and approached the desk purposefully.


“Well, Professor, there is something I would like your opinion on,” Violet explained.


“Of course,” McGonagall replied, putting down her quill and giving Violet her full attention.


Violet seemed to be weighing her words for a moment.


“The Headmaster has assigned me to do some remedial Potions work with Severus Snape,” she explained.


McGonagall nodded her head expectantly.


“I realize, Professor, that Severus is one of the most qualified students in that field and I should be happy to have this opportunity,” Violet went on, her voice trailing off in thought.


“But you are now James Potter’s sister-in-law, are you not?” McGonagall asked.


“I don’t mean to imply,” Violet protested at once.


“I understand, Miss Evans,” McGonagall assured her. “I can appreciate your concern; however, I also do believe that Severus has always kept his feelings focused directly on James.”


Violet nodded.


“Do you know Severus at all, Miss Evans?” McGonagall asked.


“Yes, Professor, he would sometimes work with Lily on Potions assignments. I used to try to hang around the kitchen when they were there,” Violet replied.


Professor McGonagall raised an inquisitive eyebrow and Violet blushed deeply realizing how her response must have sounded.


“He was always very nice,” she finished lamely, looking to the floor.


Professor McGonagall smiled at the corner of her mouth. “And how would you characterize Severus when he was working with your sister?”


Violet looked up.


“He was always very diligent, focused on what he was doing. He seemed very serious all the time,” she remembered.


“Did his difficulties in school seem to interfere with his work with Lily?” McGonagall asked.


“No, never,” Violet replied.


“Have you any indication that he has changed?” McGonagall asked.


Violet shifted her schoolbooks from one arm to the other as the memories of the Dark Mark and the banquet hall went fleeting through her mind.


Her conviction overrode these facts and she answered earnestly, “No
Professor, I don’t believe he has changed much at all.”


“Well, Miss Evans, I do believe you have already made up your mind about this,” McGonagall observed.


“I guess I was just looking for some objective input as well,” Violet told her with a small smile.


“Trust your judgment, Miss Evans,” Professor McGonagall advised. “You are an intelligent young lady.”


Violet left the Transfiguration classroom and walked slowly in the direction of the library. She waved and greeted the classmates and professors she passed on the way. She was neither popular nor not, the kind of girl that everyone in school knew and liked.


Rounding the corner to the library corridor, she noticed Snape just leaving the library. She stopped quickly, blending into a group of talking students to watch him make his way quickly down the stairs without noticing her. He seemed to be a million miles away. At that moment, she decided without hesitation to continue the arrangement in Potions.



Snape had another night of dreamless sleep and left for Hogwarts wondering what would become of the Violet situation. Snape found himself spending an exorbitant amount of time thinking about this girl. He sneered at his reflection in a puddle as he climbed the steps at Hogwarts.


Snape was walking down the long hall toward the dungeons when Professor McGonagall suddenly appeared before him.


“A word, Severus?” she asked in a clipped tone.


“Professor?” he replied.


McGonagall led him to a small classroom adjacent to the hallway.


“One of my students came to see me last night, Severus,” she began.


Snape tensed.


“You are supposed to tutor Violet Evans in Potions?” she asked.


“Dumbledore’s orders,” he replied.


“Violet tells me she knows you from her sister, Lily.”


“Correct,” Snape replied.


“She is concerned about this, ah, arrangement, Severus,” she told him.


He remained silent.


“Even as adults, you and James can’t seem to get along.”


Snape bristled at the mention of Potter.


Professor McGonagall held up a warning hand. “I want your word, Severus. You will not take your anger out on Lily’s sister.”


Snape smirked.


Nice try, he thought.


“Of course, Professor,” he replied.


“I assured Miss Evans that you have matured, Severus. Don’t make a liar of me,” she snapped.