Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dangerously in Love by Eminence

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2: The Incident

The next morning, Hermione and Ginny entered the kitchen to see several barn owls perched on the table, nicking bits of food from the plates.

“What’s going on?” Ginny asked, sliding into the seat across from Harry.

“School owls,” Ron informed. “This one’s yours.” He handed her an envelope, then handed a similar one to Hermione.

“Isn’t it a bit fatter than usual?” Hermione noticed, tearing open the envelope.

“I don’t think so,” Harry said. “It only contains the schoolbook list & information on when school starts... but there’s something extra.” He pulled out the paper and unfolded it, reading out loud:

Dear Seventh-Years of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry,

From 22 March until 4 April, 7th Years of Hogwarts will be, as a final-year vacation, travelling to Laganas, Greece. Roommates will be announced in October. The expedition is not obligatory.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Headmistress
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry


“No fair,” Ginny slouched in her chair, propping her chin by her hand. “Why can’t sixth-years go?”

“Obviously,” Ron said, rereading the paper, “it’s a final-year vacation.”

“It’s weird to hear McGonagall being headmistress,” Harry sighed. “I can’t get used to it.”

“Nor can I,” Ginny replied. “Damn the old bat, I want to go to Greece too.” There was an obvious hint of whinge in her voice.

There was a silence as Harry bit into a slice of toast. Suddenly, Hermione dropped her paper, her head hitting the table.

“Hermione!” Ginny exclaimed, jumping up. “Is anything wrong?”

“You bet it is,” Hermione muttered. “I’ve just been made Head Girl.”

“And you’re not happy about that?” Ron asked incredulously. “I mean, it’s kind of obvious that you would be made Head Girl.”

“No, I’m not happy, because McGonagall made Malfoy Head Boy.”

“What?” Harry asked in disbelief. “She wouldn’t!”

“She did.” Hermione held up the paper and gave a deep sigh. “How I’ll endure this year with Malfoy by my side is beyond me.” She stood and trudged up the stairs, leaving her letter on the table.

~


One chilly evening brought a thunderstorm along; thunder crashed loudly, lightning flashed in the sky and rain splattered against the windows as if someone was pouring it from a bucket. Hermione was in the living room, curled up on the sofa reading a book. Ginny and Ron were playing Wizard Chess at a nearby table, and Harry just lay on the floor, staring into the fire.

Hermione sat up suddenly, as though just remembering something. “Um, Harry? Can you please help me with something?”

Harry started and rolled around to face her. “What? Oh yeah, of course.” He stood up and followed Hermione out of the room and up the staircase.

After the two of them were in Ginny’s room, Hermione closed the door behind her and leaned against it.

“Harry, spill it,” she ordered.

“Didn’t you need help with something?” Harry asked, lifting an eyebrow.

“Did I say that?”

Harry rolled his eyes. “What’s going on, Hermione?”

“Exactly what I wanted to ask you,” the curly-haired brunette stated, propping a hand on her hip.

Harry just stared at her. “Nothing’s going on.”

“Yes it is,” Hermione said. “Why else would you treat Ginny as though she doesn’t exist? Why else would you lock yourself and Ron in the attic room, leaving her out?”

“It’s nothing against her, Hermione,” Harry pressed.

Hermione raised an eyebrow.

“I just don’t know how to act to her,” Harry admitted, looking down at his hands. “I think I hurt her, and now I don’t know what to do.”

“Avoiding her is not a solution,” Hermione said wisely.

“I know.”

“Why don’t you just talk to her? Like you’re talking to me?”

“There’s no point, Hermione.”

“Why not?” Hermione asked, a hint of anger in her voice.

“Because...” Harry inhaled and exhaled deeply. “Don’t get mad, Hermione. It’s because I’m planning to leave.”

She stared at him, not sure she understood correctly. “Sorry?”

“I want to leave,” Harry repeated heavily. “I want to go and search for the Horcruxes alone.”

Hermione’s mouth opened a few centimetres. “No. No,” she said with a bitter laugh, standing up from her place in front of Harry. “Harry Potter, you are not going alone.”

“Yes, I am.” His voice was tired. “I’m sorry, Hermione, but I feel it’ll be best if I leave you two behind.”

“No!” Hermione repeated restlessly. “If you think that I’m going to let you leave alone, then you are way out of your mind.”

“Hermione, please stop persuading me. I’ve made my decision. I don’t want to put you two in danger.”

“Three.”

“Sorry?”

“Three. You forgot Ginny.”

Harry shook her head. “She wouldn’t go with us anyway...”

“What do you know?” Hermione said fiercely. She stood up and burying her face in her hands, beginning pacing the room. “I’m sorry, Harry, but you are the thickest person I have ever met.”

“Why? Just because I don’t want to put the two most important people to me in danger?” he asked in a raised voice, standing up.

“Exactly!” Hermione’s hands flew away from her face, and she turned to him, her cheeks red and tears in her eyes. “It’s dangerous! And it’ll be even more dangerous if you were to go alone!”

“Hermione...” But she didn’t listen. She just flung herself into his arms and started sobbing heavily. Unsure of what to do, he stroked her hair carefully.

“I understand...” She hiccupped before continuing. “I realize you’re just trying to protect us. I realize that there’s no way to change your mind. Please,” there was another hiccup, “just take care of yourself.”

“I will,” he promised, hugging her tightly.

“I love you, Harry,” she murmured into his shoulder.

“What?” he exclaimed, pulling away to look into her tearstained eyes.

“As a friend, you perverted idiot,” she laughed, wiping the tears from her eyes.

“Oh. Well in that case, I love you too.” He paused to brush a strand of hair from her eyes. “As a friend.”

Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck and placed a sociable peck on his lips.

Then the door flung open. “Is everything okay?”

Hermione gasped in surprise and turned to see Ron standing in the doorway, looking horror-struck.

“It’s “ it’s not w-what it looks like,” Hermione stammered, her face turning red.

“Oh, really?” Ron snarled. “Wait till Ginny hears about this.” He turned on his heel and stormed out of the room.

“Ron, no!” Hermione shouted after him, but it was too late. He had disappeared. She shut her eyes, breathing heavily. Hearing the door slam shut, she opened her eyes. Harry was gone.

~


The following week was extremely awkward; between all of the teenagers. the trio hadn’t No one exchanged a word with each other. Only Ginny talked to everybody, not knowing what was going on. Deciding she couldn’t take it anymore, she angrily barged into the living room, where Harry, Ron and Hermione were, each sat a good distance away from each other.

“Okay,” she said heatedly. “I want to know what’s been going on, and I want to know it now.”

The three of them looked up, surprised.

“You lot,” she said threateningly, pointing a finger at them, “have been keeping something from me, and I want to know what.”

“Nothing, Ginny,” Hermione said innocently. “I don’t know what you’re-”

“Oh, you do know very well what I’m talking about,” Ginny stated viciously. “And tell me about it immediately. I think I do have a right to know.”

“Ginny, there’s really nothing-” Harry began.

“Don’t lie to me,” Ginny snarled. “I can tell you three are hiding something, now spill it out.”

“It’s about them,” Ron pointed at Harry and Hermione. The two exchanged nervous looks.

Ginny’s eyes landed on them. “What?”

“I walked in on them,” Ron scowled, staring at the pair with narrowed eyes.

“You mean... I can’t believe it,” Ginny whispered, eyeing Harry and Hermione with an astounded look on her face.

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence, until-

“HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!” Ginny bellowed out, tears springing to her eyes. “HOW COULD YOU BETRAY ME LIKE THIS? HE WAS MY BOYFRIEND!” She pointed a finger accusingly at Hermione, feeling her whole body heat up with anger. “I LOVED HIM! I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU!”

“Ginny “ no “ I didn’t “” Hermione stammered desperately.

“What in the name of Merlin is going on here?” Mrs Weasley entered the room. “Ginny, why are you yelling?”

“IT’S THEM! THEY KISSED EACH OTHER! I HATE YOU BOTH!” Ginny screamed at Hermione and Harry, turning on her heel and storming out of the room.

Hermione covered her mouth with her hand, tears running down her face, before running out of the room. A minute later, the back door slammed shut.

Mrs Weasley put a hand to her forehead and shook her head. “All these teenage love problems...” She turned to walk out of the room.

“Mrs Weasley, it was nothing,” Harry said quickly. “It was a friendly kiss, nothing more.”

“I believe you, dear,” Mrs Weasley sighed, sparing him a tired smile before heading out of the living room.

Harry turned uncertainly to Ron uncertainly, whose eyes were narrowed.

“Friendly kiss?” he repeated, sneering. “Are you serious?”

“Completely serious,” Harry pressed. “We talked, and then she started crying, and then she gave me a friendly peck on the lips, and then-” He buried his head in his arms and sat on the couch.

“I’m not sure if I can believe you.”

“Then don’t,” Harry said simply, standing up. “I’m going to find Hermione.” Making sure his wand was secured in his pocket, he left the house.

~


He found her by the backyard lake, huddled by under a tree. Nearing her, Harry saw that she was holding her knees, her face buried in them.

“Hermione.,” he said quietly.

“Go away, Harry.”

“Please, let me just-”

“I said go away, Harry.”

“I want to apologize,” Harry said helplessly.

Hermione didn’t say anything.

“I’m sorry if I ruined your chances with Ron. I didn’t mean to do... that.”

“It’s my fault,” Hermione said in a choked voice. “I kissed you. But can’t they just understand that it didn’t mean anything!”

“I don’t know.” Harry sighed. “I wish they would understand.”

“And now Ginny,” Hermione muttered bitterly. “She hates me.”

“No, she doesn’t,” Harry assured her.

“Yes, she does,” Hermione shot back, looking at him. “You heard her perfectly well.”

“She was just shocked, Hermione,” Harry said gently, placing a hand on her shoulder before reconsidering it, and pulling his hand away. “Look, she’ll get over it. Once she’s ready, you and I will explain it to her.”

“You might as well tell her you love her, once she’s ready,” Hermione recommended.

“Hermione, I can’t.”

“Yes, you can.” Hermione looked him in the eyes. “Didn’t you hear her? She said she loves you.”

“That’s not it. I’m planning to leave, you know that. I can’t just defy my love to her and then just leave.”

Hermione took a deep breath. “You’re right. I’m just worried how she’ll take it. When are you going?”

“I don’t know yet.”

“And are you planning to say goodbye to them?”

“No.” At Hermione’s reaction, he explained quickly, “They’ll probably try and talk me out of it, just like you did. I don’t know if I can stand that. I’ll just write them a letter.”

“A letter?” Hermione scoffed. “A pathetic letter?” But then she sighed and shook her head, standing up. “Whatever you wish, Harry. I’m going inside, are you coming with me?”

Harry nodded before standing up and following her back to the house.




A/N: Well, that's it. And before you start ranting that this is supposed to be a Draco/Hermione fic, then no worries, because it is and will be. This is in no way a Harry/Hermione fic, as that is basically my least-favourite ship (sorry shippers!). Draco will be coming soon, so just be patient. Much love and thanks to my readers and especially reviewers, as you keep me going!

And no, I have not forgotten an excerpt :) :

Ginny sat down in a chair at the kitchen table, the note crumpled tightly in her fist. “He left...” she whispered, her voice breaking. “He left.”

See you soon!