Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Lovers in the Moonlight by beauty and brains

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Irene’s hand tightened on Remus’s as they stood outside the Fat Lady’s portrait. She could feel her breath quickening but knew she shouldn’t panic. Everything is going to be okay, she told herself. Her eyes met the boy’s at her side and she could feel herself shake. Remus looked so calm standing there, framed against the torchlight. Irene now knew exactly why Remus had been made a Gryffindor instead of a Ravenclaw. She and the other Marauders had always teased him, but now she knew that his bravery wasn’t shown in the reckless way Sirius’s was, or in his determination like James. Hell, not even like Peter, who was brave in the way he was showed complete loyalty to his mates. No, Remus showed his Gryffindor colours in taking the trials and tribulations life so mercilessly threw at him with dignity. Irene could feel a kind of respect for him that she had never felt towards anyone else, not even Dumbledore.


Feeling her hands become clammy, Irene whispered, “Remus, I’m scared.” She could feel her heart rate speeding up and tried to calm herself.


He turned to face her, his expression full of understanding. Taking Irene’s other hand, he looked her in the eye, and assured her that everything was going to be okay. “Just remember, if anyone asks where you’ve been for the past few weeks, you were attending your mum’s sick bed.”


Irene gulped down the bile that threatened to rise up her throat before allowing Remus to answer the Fat Lady’s question for the password. As the portrait door swung open, the small redhead heard running feet coming in her direction. Turning her back on the large hole in the wall, she was greeted by a sound tackle from Kahlynn.


“Irene Mahavior! Where the hell have you been?” Kahlynn’s shouts echoed down the empty hall as she tried to hug and punch Irene at the same time. Irene, however, could only smile and hold in the tears that tried to push past her lashes. Her best friend was by her side, the boy she had hopes for the future was grinning knowingly at her, and to top it all off, the rest of The Marauders were just coming around the corner in hot pursuit of Kahlynn.


As Kahlynn released her, Irene inconspicuously reached for Remus’s hand and squeezed it gently. The Marauders were around them now. Sirius, who had obviously noticed their clasped hands, was clapping Remus on the shoulder and saying something along the lines of taming the little Irish squirt. In the liveliness of the moment, Irene was able to dodge her friend’s question for the time being. The group piled into the Common Room. It was quite empty since everyone was still down eating in the Great Hall. Kahlynn told her the only reason she knew Irene had arrived back was because a first year had seen her walking to Professor Dumbledore’s study earlier in the day.


“Speaking of first years,” said James, “I remember little Rosely hitting you with the pea at lunch, Sirius.” He was rubbing his hands together with a delighted gleam behind his glasses. “Think we’ll have time to catch him on his way back to Ravenclaw Tower?”


“Absolutely!” Sirius smirked. “Care to join us, Mahavior? Your absence has been a real downer on our group activities. We need our lovely little lioness to distract the Slytherins.” Sirius adopted his winning grin while Peter snorted.


Irene cocked an eyebrow at the speaker. “I thought I was the little Irish squirt?” She crossed her arms and stuck out her hip. “And no, Black, I refuse to come along to flirt with a first year just so you can charm his shoelaces together. Ask Kahlynn.” With that she walked over to the plumpest armchair in front of the fire.


Rubbing her chilled hands against the fire, Irene rolled her eyes when she heard Sirius tell Kahlynn that her dashing good looks would be an excellent distraction. Hearing Kahlynn’s giggle, Irene toyed with the thought of just how gullible her best friend truly was before sinking back into her chair. She noted the portrait door closing behind her friends. When she opened her eyes though, Remus’s handsome face filled her vision. He was sitting on the edge of a couch, his elbows propped up against his knees.


“Why aren’t you off pranking?” she asked him, shifting her weight. To her, he looked about as bad as she felt, which was pretty horrible. She could feel so many unanswered questions sitting between them, a lifetime of troubles and hardships. There were so many barriers telling her that this thing between them, this relationship, would never work. But no matter how much they taunted, she intended to break down as many of the walls that she could. She only hoped Remus felt the same.


“Remus?” Irene questioned, for he still had not looked up from the carpet. When his eyes locked on hers, Irene saw him quickly blink back unshed tears. Rising swiftly, she walked around a small coffee table before crouching down next to him. “What is it, Remus?”


She had to place her hand under his chin and force his grey orbs to look into hers before he replied, “How can you be so forgiving?”


Reaching for his hand, Irene could feel him trembling beside her. “I know now that when we go through a Turning, we are not ourselves. At first, I admit it; I blamed the alleged monster who did this to me. But now, Remus, I know the truth. You couldn’t control you actions, you weren’t in your right mind.” Irene watched as a lone tear trickled down his cheek. She had never seen him cry before and found her heart breaking. Neither of us should have to deal with such things, she thought viciously.


Remus straightened from his hunched position and clenched her hand tightly. “Even if you don’t blame me…I blame myself.”


“Don’t, Remus””


“It was my fault!” he roared. Irene jumped, shocked at his sudden mood change. His face had turned an angry red and his hands were balled in fists. “I was out on the grounds with Sirius when I should have been in the Shrieking Shack!” He stood up abruptly and walked over to stand in front of the fireplace.


“With Sirius?” asked Irene, bewildered. She remembered Dumbledore telling her that Sirius had found her when he was walking out on the grounds for his own moonlit stroll. But how was he with Remus? Wouldn’t the werewolf have attacked the other boy as well?


“Yes, with Sirius,” Remus sighed. He pinched the bridge of his nose and Irene saw in the glow of the firelight an old man, wearied by years of pain and frustration. He swept his hand through his hair before sitting back down on the couch next to Irene. She looked at him quizzically, and he continued with his explanation.


“James, Sirius, and Peter are all Animagi. Sirius was the black dog you saw that night.”


Irene’s face was blank as she absorbed this new information. Why had they never told her? Hadn’t she proven herself a worthy friend and mate? How could she not have known? She stared at the boy beside her with a hurt look in her eyes.


“None of you ever told me about that. I’ve been best mates with the lot of you since we were eleven!”


Hurriedly, Remus countered, “We wish we could have told you, Irene, but no one besides us knew about what I was, so we couldn’t tell anyone. It…it wasn’t anything personal.”


The redhead nodded slowly, coming to terms with the news. “So, do they all go to the Shrieking Shack with you on full moons?” Then something hit her like a ton of bricks. “What’s going to happen now that I’m going to be there too? They’re going to know what I am!” Her hands began wringing in her lap, her eyes tearing up behind her glasses. It was her one wish to keep this disease to herself, her family, the teachers, and Remus. No one else was supposed to know about it.


Moving closer across the plump cushion, Remus captured her gaze. “Sirius, Peter, and James would never betray you, Irene. You know that. You can trust them with this. They’ve known about me ever since we were second years. Nothing would change between you if they knew.” His eyes were so understanding and sweet, Irene found it hard not to curl up with him and weep. “Although,” he continued in a whisper, “I’m surprised your opinion of me hasn’t changed.”


“Oh, don’t start that again, Remus. I don’t blame you for this! It’s not your fault!” Irene practically shrieked. How on earth could he think he had control over what happened?


“But it is my fault! How could you not see that?” His voice was raised again, but Irene didn’t flinch this time. “I was supposed to be in the Shrieking Shack, but instead of thinking it through, Sirius, Peter, and I decided we would be fine even if James wasn’t with us. We…we didn’t think…” Remus was spluttering, trying to organize his thoughts. He needed Irene to blame him, he wanted her to. He felt so guilty in his heart.


But Irene was having none of it. She launched herself off of the couch, glaring at him while placing her hands on her hips. If there was one thing she was good at, it was winning fights. And this was one she was going to win even if it killed them!


“Listen, you arse! You’re acting completely bolloxed, and I shan’t be having any more of this gob-shite thrown at me! I don’t blame ye worth a damn, so why don’t you stop being such a babby about it and dry up!” Irene’s face felt burning hot as she yelled at the top of her lungs. She knew was talking like a complete Irish ganky, but by the by, she couldn’t have cared less.


Remus stared at her, his eyes becoming steadily darker. Rising to his feet, he towered over Irene in height. “Why won’t you try to understand my point, where I’m coming from?” he countered back.


Irene laughed mockingly, tilting her chin forward in defiance. “You have no point, Remus. You’re being nothing but a sod, for reasons I have nary a clue about. What, exactly, is so horrible about me not wanting to blame my best mate over something he had no control over?”


“I HAD CONTROL OVER IT!” Remus bellowed. His teeth were bared, his face contorted. He quickly captured his anger, knowing how close he was to the full moon. He couldn’t allow the wolf to overcome him. Not yet.


“You had control over biting me?” Irene asked skeptically.


“No…I had control over where I was at the time. If I would have been where I was supposed to be, you wouldn’t be in this predicament. I would never have bitten you, and none of this would have ever happened.” Remus rubbed his temples, sitting back on the couch.


Irene crossed her arms tightly but plopped down next to him. She knew Remus was being completely illogical, which was quite strange and out of the ordinary for him. Thinking about how to best argue her point, she began, “Remus you have to understand that it was just an accident. Accidents happen, and most of the time there is little control over the situation or setting in which they do happen. And as much as you want me to, I will not push this off onto your shoulders when you know just as well, and more so, than I do, that there is very little we can do once the full moon has occurred.” Reaching under his chin to look into his eyes, Irene said, “I never have, and never will, blame you for this.”


Remus shivered at her deep and understanding tone. He looked past her glasses, straight into her dark brown eyes. He didn’t think he would ever understand how she could not hate him for this, but was eternally grateful that she didn’t. Remus knew it would break his heart if he were to lose her again like he almost did that night.


The girl felt her heart begin to beat wildly as Remus put his hand on her cheek, drawing her in. Irene grinned slightly before brushing her lips softly against his; loving the shivers she was receiving from his other hand tangled in her hair. She shifted her weight, leaning her body against him. She could feel his arm wrap around her waist and he slowly pulled her down with him, sinking into the plump cushions.


“Looks like he’s done a whole lot more than tame her,” Sirius commented loftily from behind the couch.


“Yeah, seems to me like he’s already bred with her and everything,” James said conversationally.


“If so, you’re babysitting, mate,” Peter said to Sirius while Kahlynn giggled loudly beside them.


Remus had sat up so fast, Irene had fallen off the couch. He pulled her up before the pair of them peered over the couch to find their best friends crouching low to the ground.


“How long have you been hiding behind there?” Irene demanded. She felt a nasty prickle creeping up her spine. If they had heard her argument with Remus, then Kahlynn would know she was a werewolf!


“We just walked, or should I say crawled in. The boys here thought it would be pretty funny to listen to two teenagers filled with raging hormones,” Kahlynn said airily. Irene and Remus exchanged relieved glances.


Now all I have to do is lay low and not give myself away as a werewolf, one of the most feared creatures in the Wizarding World, thought Irene as she waved to Remus and followed her best friend up the stairs to her dormitory.


[*][*][*]



The week passed too quickly for Irene, who was terrified of what the full moon would bring. She had already sat down in the Room of Requirement with the four Marauders and explained what had truly happened to her. Everyone else had been given the story that her mum had come down with an unknown disease but was making a full recovery.


Irene had also been able to see the Marauders in Animagi form, all except Remus, of course. She had always wondered why their nicknames were so unusual, but now understood completely. When she had voiced this aloud, Sirius had quickly decided that, as she would now be apart of their monthly rendezvous, she would be in need of her own name as well. So she had been officially dubbed ‘Red’. The boys had said that this wouldn’t be suspicious at all, unlike Remus’s cleverly disguised nickname.


“Tonight’s the night!” Sirius exclaimed on their way to Charms class. James, Peter, and Sirius all grinned excitedly, but Irene could only manage a weak grimace. She had barely slept a wink last night. Irene was scared to death of what awaited her in only a few short hours. Her body hurt all over and she could feel the pull of the moon.


She wasn’t the only one either. Irene looked to her right and saw Remus stumbling along, looking half asleep. It wasn’t that the full moon made them tired, Irene thought. No, that was after the transformation. It was the fear of what was to come that had kept the pair up all night. Irene could feel her senses heighten the longer the day wore on. Her eyesight intensified, as did her sense of smell and hearing. That morning, Irene had also noticed her brown eyes had taken on a golden tinge.


Irene felt someone staring at her. Whipping her eyes around, she saw the familiar form of Severus Snape, more commonly known to her as Snivellus. He was but three feet away, hidden in the shadow of a small alcove. Irene had a funny feeling he had been trying to eavesdrop.


“Alright, Snivellus?” she asked, her voice raised so the others would hear. Snape stepped out of the shadows as all the Marauders, with the exception of Remus, turned to face the Slytherin, all with identical and malicious grins. Remus just paused, a soft sigh barely escaping his lips. Irene knew he hated it when she would instigate a fight between their friends and Snape, but this time there was an actual reason. Far too many times had Snape tried to stir up trouble about the group, asking where Remus was off to on the full moons. Irene knew she could possibly become his next target. And she would rather take him down than let herself fall.


James subtly drew his wand, holding it at his side, but Irene saw Snape’s eyes flicker to it before pulling his own out of his pocket. She, along with Sirius, Peter, and after a second’s hesitation, Remus, followed suit.


“Why are you hiding, Snivellus?” James taunted.


“Afraid someone’s going to attack you with a bar of soap?” Sirius asked, laughing as he did so.


Snape, however, did not reply. Instead he placed his piercing gaze on Irene, who felt a small shiver run up her spine. Hardening her eyes, she stared into his black depths, refusing to blink or look away. Images began darting past her eyes, as if someone were reading her life like a book. She saw herself riding her cousin’s grey pony over green hills, receiving her letter from Hogwarts, meeting the Sirius on the train. The flashes kept speeding up, going so fast Irene couldn’t think clearly. What was going on?


A small Irene being bullied by older Slytherins, the Gryffindor Common Room Talent Show hosted by Sirius and James, cursing Yaxley for picking on Peter, a bear-like dog bowling over a howling werewolf…


Irene heard someone roar in anger just as a spell hit her, pushing her backwards into a body. Brilliant lights flew before her eyes as spells rocketed around the corridor. She was being pulled into the tiny alcove Snape had resided in only moments before. Sirius voice echoed in her ears, calling her Red and telling her to hang on. Her vision began growing hazy, like it did when she wasn’t wearing her glasses. The last thing she saw before her eyesight completely clouded over were the Marauders, all with their backs to her, firing curse after curse at the pack of Slytherins who had come to Snape’s aid.


[*][*][*]



For the second time in nearly two weeks, bright lights and loud voices awoke Irene Mahavior. She kept her eyes closed, wondering what the shouting was all about.


“”did something to her! She went all stiff, her eyes rolled back in her head!”


McGonagall’s crisp voice spoke over Sirius, and said, “Severus Snape did not use any type of spell on Miss Mahavior, as you very well know. It was Mr. Dolohov who used the Rictasempra curse, and he is being rightly punished, as all of you will be.”


“But Professor, she went limp before the curse hit her!” Remus’s voice rang out.


“No, I’m sure you just didn’t see it correctly,” Irene’s head-of-house said tartly. “You boys really need to return to my office, so we can discuss””


“I’m sorry Professor McGonagall, but I wish to speak to them first.” Dumbledore’s voice cut in calmly from the door of the infirmary. Irene’s eyes flashed open, but she couldn’t see very well due to the absence of her square-rimmed glasses.


Professor McGonagall’s exit was masked by Sirius’ shout that Irene was awake. The boys crowded around her hospital bed, Dumbledore standing behind them with a slight grin at their obvious enthusiasm. Irene’s eyes, however, were only for Remus. He appeared shaken as he grabbed her hand with a hard strength, gripping it tightly within his own. She gave him a slight smile before turning her attention to the headmaster.


“Miss Mahavior, I am glad to see that you are awake and physically unhurt. I will assure you that I know exactly what Severus Snape performed in that hallway, and he is being rightfully punished for it. You and your friends here should put it out of your minds.” He smiled at the group before continuing. “Mr. Potter, Mr. Black, and Mr. Pettigrew, I request that you return to Professor McGonagall’s office as she requested. Mr. Lupin, please remain here.”


Irene watched as her friends filed out of the hospital wing, each waving dejectedly. She shook her head in amusement at the look of dread of Peter’s face compared to the way James was grinning victoriously, claiming they was still even in his and Sirius’s race for who could acquire the most detentions.


“Now, Miss Mahavior,” Professor Dumbledore began as the door closed with a snap. “I realize you might be a little shaken from today’s events, but I trust you are still ready to face what must take place tonight?” When she nodded slowly, Dumbledore clapped his hand onto Remus’s shoulder and instructed them to meet Professor McGonagall in the Entrance Hall right after dinner. And with that, he wished the pair of them luck and swept out of the room is a haze of purple robes.


Remus sank down onto the bed next to Irene. He looked at her hard, and she stared back with a questioning gaze.


“You scared me today,” he said softly. “If Filch hadn’t of come when he did…I don’t know what I would have done to Snape.”


Irene watched him in silence, studying the lines that wove throughout his brow. “I’m fine,” she said simply. “Actually, I would be really grateful if Madame Pomfrey released me from this prison cell.”


At that moment, Madame Pomfrey came bustling out of her office. “I heard that remark, Miss Mahavior, and you had better be glad I allow you in at all, as often as I have to patch you up. You may go now.” Irene laughed, but she saw that the older woman’s smile didn’t reach her eyes, and her expression darkened as she watched the pair exit the hospital wing.


[*][*][*]



The clinking of silverware and goblets was deafening to Irene. Her hearing had intensified so much throughout the day that her ears positively ached with noise. She quickly devoured a few chicken legs before forcefully shoving back from the table and telling Remus she couldn’t take the overwhelming sounds anymore. Irene walked as fast as she could to the peace and quiet of the Entrance Hall.


She stood against the wall beside a painting of Archie the Activist, who had tried to ban the killings of fire-crabs. The large windows were allowing orange light to pour through, and as Irene watched it recede to pink, her insides heaved with fear. She could feel the chicken trying to come back up her esophagus. Sliding down the wall, she buried her face in her arms, breathing heavily.


“On your feet, Miss Mahavior,” came a clipped tone from over her head. Irene pushed her red curls away from her eyes and met the burning gaze of Professor McGonagall. She staggered upright just as Remus walked out of the Great Hall. “Let’s go, it’s getting late already,” their professor said.


When the three of them arrived at the Whomping Willow, Irene watched as Professor McGonagall took a long stick and poked sharply at a knot on the tree’s trunk, which immobilized it immediately. She stared in amazement as Remus scrunched down and crawled through a small hole. She took a step to follow him when the woman at her side placed a hand on her shoulder.


“Miss Mahavior,” she began when Irene turned to face her. “I would just like you to know…that, well…just take care of yourself, and I hope to see you safe and sound in my class in a few days,” Professor McGonagall said. Irene felt both amazed and thankful as her professor wiped her eye and set back off to the castle, leaving her to follow Remus and find out exactly how her fate would play.


Bending down, Irene managed to climb inside the tree right before it started moving again. Remus was waiting for her inside. Neither of them said a word as Remus led Irene deeper and deeper down into the ground. She could feel thin roots scratching her arms as the two of them shuffled through the tunnel. The lower they walked, the damper the air became.


The tunnel suddenly began to slope upwards again. Irene could feel the sweat trickling down the back of her shirt as the steep climb pulled at her muscles, making them scream in defiance. Her breath became heavy and she was soon panting.


“Not long now,” Remus said, taking her hand and pulling her along as she stumbled out of weariness. She noticed he wasn’t even slightly winded.


After what seemed like hours, the dark tunnel began leveling off. Irene swept her plastered hair out of her eyes and stopped. The tunnel had opened to a room. She gazed around her, astounded, for she knew exactly where she was, for she had been here before. Sirius had dared her to go inside with Peter when she was in her second year of school. The torn furniture was still the same, the gouges on the walls, the same grey boarded up windows. They were inside the Shrieking Shack.


She followed Remus into the center of the room and faced him for instructions. “What do I do now?”


Taking a deep breath, Remus began. “Well, before every transformation, you have to…ah, um…well unless you want your clothes completely shredded, you can’t be wearing anything.” His entire face had turned a clammy shade of red and Irene could feel a sickly blush begin to claim her own cheeks and neck.


“Where do I need to…” her voice drifted off as Remus pointed to a door next to the staircase. She nodded and felt her knees almost give out as she took a shaky step. Her entire body quivered, and Irene could safely say she had only been this frightened once before in her entire life.


She pushed the door open, closed it behind her, and rested her weight against it, listening to it groan. She could hear Remus on the other side. With trembling fingers, Irene unlaced her trainers. Setting them aside, she yanked her socks off, stuffing them inside the shoes. Next came the robe, which she lifted over her head and folded into a neat square. A shirt, jeans, and undergarments quickly followed, until Irene stood entirely naked, a cool evening breeze stinging her skin when the boards allowed it in.


Looking down by her feet, Irene studied the folded clothes. Without so much as a thought, she let out a strangled cry and kicked it with as much force as she could muster. Her trainers hit an old painting which dropped to the floor with a crash. The crumbling house moaned in protest.


“Irene, are you okay?” came Remus’s concerned voice from the other side of the door.


Irene began to sob. “Remus, I don’t think I can do this. I “ I’m so scared.” She couldn’t swallow, and her tears were pouring down in small rivers, leaving clear tracks across her sweaty face.


“Put something on, I’m coming in.” Irene scrambled to throw her robe around her body before he opened the door. He had donned only his robe, and he closed the door behind him, sliding down on the floor next to her.


“What’s going to happen to me?” Irene asked, her voice sounding strange as she continued to leak tears.


The boy next to her sighed, hating to see her so confused and helpless, a total difference from what she usually was. “I’m not going to say that it won’t hurt, because it does. It hurts more than anything you can imagine. You won’t be able to think, and you will lose your human mind. When you wake up, you won’t be able to remember much, only small flashes. However, the other Marauders and I will be here for you in the morning.”


Irene lifted her head and locked eyes with Remus. He reached over and used his thumb to wipe away the last of her tears. Then, he leaned close to her, touching her bare shoulder. Irene’s breath rushed in and out, and for a moment, she had a strong instinct to bury her nose in his neck and smell his scent. She resisted it, however, enough to instead push her lips against his and simply kiss him for a long moment.


When Remus pulled back, he put his cheek next to hers and she could smell him, practically taste him. His scent was rough and yet intoxicating, like wood smoke. She inhaled deeply, and then pulled back out of embarrassment.


“It’s not unnatural. Don’t worry,” he said. Rising to his feet, Remus continued, “The others will be here in a few moments. And Irene?” He opened the door. “When the moon calls to you, don’t resist it.”


Pushing her robe off again, Irene waited. She heard the Marauders arrive, although they did not try to speak to her. She sat in silence. She could hear her blood singing throughout her veins; feel the chill rushing closer as the full moon approached. She moved to the middle of the room so as to look out of a crack in the boards where she could see the sky.


A cloud shifted. A silver moonbeam touched her face.


Irene let out a scream as she felt her blood begin to boil inside her. She crumpled into a pile, her limbs twitching spastically. Fighting against it, she tried to clamber to her feet but shortly lost balance as her feet became paws too small to sustain her human form. She watched as hair erupted out of her skin, enshrouding her in a red and brown pellet. Remembering what Remus said, Irene went limp. Her nails sharpened into claws, pushing their way out of her nail beds. Her bones broke in some areas and mended together in others, crunching, scraping. Muscles tore into pieces and knitted themselves elsewhere. A snout protruded out of her face and fangs sprouted past her gums. Her eyes glowed yellow. When her transformation had been completed, her screams and yells of pain still echoed around the room and throughout the house.


[*][*][*]



The next morning, it was rumored down in the local pub that a woman had been murdered inside the Shrieking Shack.


“Did you hear those screams, Dot? Lord Almighty, I nearly went inside to save the girl myself, but then I thought of my wife and kids and just couldn’t.”


Dot shook her head as the other patrons discussed last night’s events. “Something bad got that girl, and hopefully none of us will ever find out what it was.”


[*][*][*]



“Irene. Irene, get up. We’ve got to get back to the castle before anyone wakes up.” A hand was shaking her softly, and the red head rolled over onto her back, groaning. Her body was in complete agony. She had trouble simply opening her eyes. Someone had handed her her glasses. Pushing them onto her nose, she saw Remus’s form. He had a hand over his face for some odd reason. Looking around, Irene caught a glimpse of her own bare skin. Gasping, she rocked to her feet and grabbed her clothes, not caring how much her limbs protested.


“I thought it would be better to awaken you myself than, say, Sirius,” he said sheepishly, trying to find the door handle without the use of his eyes. “Oh, and any cuts and scrapes on you Madame Pomfrey will fix up in a jiff.”


Examining herself, Irene saw that she had many bloodied areas all over her body. There was a shallow gash in her hip, and along her right shoulder she saw claw marks. There were also many small nicks covering her arms and legs. She decided that instead of pulling her jeans and shirt over her many wounds, she would simply opt for her robe and undergarments.


When she opened the door, James and Sirius whistled. “You’re quite the sight for sore eyes,” James said.


“Shove off, Prongs,” she answered him. “Someone simply get me to the hospital wing before I drop dead right here.”


Later that morning, after she had been properly bandaged and relieved of her cuts, Irene climbed into her four poster bed, sighing into the down-filled pillows. She didn’t awake that Saturday until well into the evening hours.


“So, sleepyhead,” Kahlynn said from her own bed when she noticed Irene’s open eyes. “How does it feel to sleep the night and the day away? You do absolutely nothing stressful or exhausting, and yet you can still sleep that much. How is that possible?”


“Oh,” Irene grinned, “you have no idea.” She could hear the four boys downstairs, shouting about something, and her smile widened. Everything wouldn’t change after all. Life would go on as normal, or as normal as possible. She would still have her friends, her life at Hogwarts, and there was also Remus. And when she thought about the previous night, Irene knew that she and Remus would be able to conquer their lives together, as lovers in the moonlight.




A/N “ I decided to put the author note at the bottom this time, as there is more to write. Well, this is the end of Irene Mahavior. I do hope you enjoyed your short journey with her. If anyone requests, I do think I could write a few one-shots about her and Remus. Does anyone have any ideas? Or would you just like to plug her up by now? I enjoyed writing this three-shot, and I had lots of fun toying with Remus. I would also like to put in a word for Poppet for all her tireless help while this story was only in the makings. Then there is also Lindsey, or Ron x Hermione, for all her awesome betaing, and her endless encouragement. Thanks so much! And Tash, thanks a million for the help with this last installment. And last but not least, thank you Kelsey, one of my best friends for pushing me and complimenting me, boosting my confidence in my writing. And I have to thank everyone who reviewed. You guys are great!