Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Just Another Time Traveler's Love Story by social loner

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks again to my beautiful betas, no day but today and colores, for their fantastic work! R&R

__________________________________________________________
“After you, Flower,” James insisted and gave a low bow before the Head Girl.


Lily huffed angrily and glared at the Head Boy before stomping off in the direction of the Great Hall.


James, however, seemed undaunted and quickly caught up to Lily.


Draco and Hermione followed the Head Boy and Girl down the halls; although Draco did so rather reluctantly.


Hermione sighed as she walked, If only Harry were here, then he could finally meet his parents.

________________________________________________________________________

“Okay, now, when we enter the Great Hall the rest of the school will already be seated, but don’t be intimidated; no one will think twice about you. In fact, I’m sure that they’ll hardly even notice you,” Lily said in what was supposed to be a reassuring voice while James rolled his eyes at her. Lily shot James a nasty look, but refused to say anything else.

Draco stifled a laugh as he and Hermione followed the Head Boy and Girl to the Great Hall. Draco knew more than anyone that every eye in that hall would be glued on them from the second they walked through those grand doors.

“Here we are, the Great Hall,” James announced. “Many historic events have taken place in this room.” James looked towards the doors with a sense of respect and reverence.

Lily scoffed. “If by ‘historic events’ you mean those childish pranks that you and your friends are so keen on pulling. Then, yes.”

James chuckled and turned towards Hermione and Draco before Lily could say another word.

“You ready?”

Hermione gulped and Draco looked indifferent. “Let’s get this over with, shall we?” Draco drawled in a bored tone.

“Let’s.” James then swung open the large double doors and strode into the Great Hall with ease. Lily followed him with the same sense of ease, but not as much enthusiasm.

Hermione glanced at the different tables as they made their way to the front. Everything looked very much the same. The house tables were in the same order, and the same vision of a stormy sky lay above them. Hermione looked straight ahead to see the Sorting Hat sitting precariously on a large stool. She remembered that stool from her first year. Smiling, Hermione recalled her first evening at Hogwarts. The most vivid memory she had of that day was walking alone up to that stool that stood in front of the entire school. Now, even though Hermione was a sixth year, the stool looked just as big and daunting to her as it had that first day.

Lily and James led them straight to the front of the hall and stopped a few feet from the steps. Lily gave them a reassuring smile and looked up towards Professor Dumbledore, who was now standing in front of the small podium.

“Students, now that everyone has gathered and we are ready to eat, it is time that we welcome two more students to our school; two sixth years that have taken the opportunity to transfer here from St. Patrick’s School of Magic. Please, welcome Miss Hermione Swanson and Mr. Draco Abendroth. When you have the chance help them feel at home in our halls. I am quite confident that none of you will take this as an opportunity to pull any tricks that would make this school seem any less credible.” As Dumbledore said this, he seemed to make direct eye contact with James and someone else who must have been seated behind them. James merely smirked and put his hand over his heart, as though in a gesture of compliance. Hermione only had seconds to view James’ crossed fingers behind his back.

“Now,” Dumbledore continued, “it is with great pleasure that I ask Miss Swanson to please step forward and wear the Sorting Hat.”

Hermione took a deep breath and climbed the few steps before reaching the stool. Come on, Hermione. You’ve done this before, she thought. Just place it on your head and get it over with.

With that, Hermione picked up the hat and situated it on her head as she took a seat on the stool.

“Hmm, let’s see,” the hat began. “It seems you are a very studious young girl. Yes, studious indeed. You’d do well in Ravenclaw. Yes, very well.”

Hermione was about to protest when she realized that Ravenclaw didn’t seem all that bad. It wasn’t Gryffindor, that was for sure, but it was a close second.

“Wait, what is this I see?” the hat continued. “Yes, you’re very stubborn, aren’t you? Yes, studious, but very stubborn. Maybe Ravenclaw is not your suit, no. Hufflepuff, perhaps?”

Hermione stifled a gasp and clasped her fingers. It wasn’t that she had anything against Hufflepuff, she just knew that she wouldn’t be able to stand it for much longer than a month, if that.

“No, no, you’re too strong willed for gentle Hufflepuff,” the hat decided. Hermione sighed in relief and bit her lip, waiting for the hat to finish.

“Well, with Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff out, that leaves only two house left: Gryffindor or Slytherin. Hmm, decisions, decisions. Well, there seems to be only one place for you…”

Hermione crossed her fingers and closed her eyes. Please let it be Gryffindor, please.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Hermione exhaled deeply in relief as the rest of the hall clapped and cheered. Hermione got off the stool and set the hat carefully on top before making her way to the Gryffindor table among the yelling and chanting of her house. Hermione took a seat beside Lily, who had already been seated along with James. Lily congratulated her as did James. Lily seemed uncomfortable and irritated by the fact that James had seated himself across from her.

“Now,” Dumbledore said, quieting the deafening hall, “Mr. Abendroth, please step forward.”

Draco made his way up the steps and forcefully placed the Sorting Hat over his blonde hair before sitting on the stool and crossing his legs. Even though his facial expression showed nothing but blank boredom, Hermione could see a bit of anxiousness in the way that he held himself and continually tapped his foot in the air. Hermione tried not to laugh at the sight of Draco acting so nervous. Some Slytherin king he is now.

Draco rolled his eyes as the hat started to speak inside his head.

“Well, well. There’s no doubt that I’ve seen your kind before. A proud bunch, if I do recall…”

“Can we just get this over with?” Draco demanded in an annoyed tone.

“Yes, you are indeed a Malfoy. I can tell one of your kind from a mile away. All your minds function alike. But worry not, your secret is safe with me.”

“I’m so relieved to hear you say that,” Draco replied sarcastically. “Now, once again, can we get a move on with this?”

“You’re nervous, aren’t you?” the hat asked in a rhetorical manner.

“I am not!”

“Don’t bother lying to me, boy. I’ve seen it all. Well, since you are so eager to get this over with, let’s see what we have here. My first instinct would be to place you in Slytherin, as I’m sure you already expect.”

“Exactly,” Draco said in an exasperated voice. “So what’s the hold up?”

“There is something different about you. Yes, very different indeed,” the hat continued thoughtfully. “I suppose I could put you in Slytherin; there is no doubt you would do fine there. But I have a feeling that you would do even better elsewhere.”

“What?” Draco hissed. “What do you mean I could do better elsewhere? I’m a Slytherin, and that is where I will go.”

“So sure, are you?”

“More than you are. Now, can you please announce Slytherin, so I can go eat? My stomach is growling.”

“Stubborn, indeed. Yes, you would do well in that house. I see great things for your future, Draco, and I see them in red and gold. I think that I will put you there.”

“You see them in red and gold? What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Exactly what it means. Pride is a dangerous trait, my boy. One you can overcome with the right assistance. Yes, this is for the best.”

“What’s for the best!” Draco snarled.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

“WHAT!” Draco yelled, surprise etched on every feature of his face.
________________________________________________________________________

“WHAT!” Hermione cried.

“You seem surprised, Hermione,” Lily said with a confused expression.

“Surprised would be an understatement,” James muttered under his breath, just barely audible to Lily’s ears. Lily glared at James and turned back to Hermione.

“Aren’t you glad that your friend got sorted into the same house?” Lily asked, struggling to make herself heard over the loud cheers of the Gryffindor table.

“Oh, of course I am, I’m just a bit surprised, that’s all. I never thought we would be lucky enough to be placed in the same house,” Hermione replied, battling to keep her disappointment and frustration inside. How on earth did Draco get sorted into Gryffindor? Has the Sorting Hat gone mad?

“Oh,” Lily said, “Well, congratulations then. Now, you won’t have to be separated.”

Hermione managed to smile at Lily as Draco appeared on the other side of the table looking positively shell shocked. Draco lowered himself on the bench and wrung his fingers in his hair in a frustrated motion.

“Are you alright there, mate? You don’t look too good,” James asked as he playfully socked Draco in the upper arm.

Draco grimaced. “I’m fine. I guess I’m just worn out,” Draco replied in a monotone voice.

“Then, this will cheer you up,” James assured as he grabbed his fork and held it readily in his hand. Lily rolled her eyes and muttered to Hermione, “Adolescent boys and food; it’s a disgusting relationship.”

Hermione couldn’t help but laugh. She remembered all the times that she had watched in horror as Ron and Harry stuffed their mouths to the brim with food of every kind. Hermione’s smile dimmed when she thought of Ron and Harry at Hogwarts. I wonder when, or if, we’ll ever get back.