Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

De-gnoming the garden by hermione_at_heart

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to my two betas DancingCarrot and Lindsey (Ron x Hermione)I hope you enjoy this! It's short and sweet, but I always find that's the best way to be. Hehe! Please read and review! Phily :D


Both were livid. His face, as red as his hair. Her hair, as manic as ever in her rage.

Ron and Hermione’s shouts echoed through the once peaceful, morning air. The sky was fused with pink wisps of cloud and the summer’s day was due to be warm and clear. The gnomes in the garden could be seen laying out their towels in preparation for a day of sunbathing; a sight to make anyone chuckle, and make Mrs Weasley reach for her net.

But, neither Ron nor Hermione even noticed these peculiar happenings. They stood on opposite sides of the rickety, wooden bench situated on the lawn. Ron was grasping the bench so tightly that his knuckles were white. Hermione had her arms raised in despair as if reaching for the sky; searching for some kind of patience.

Suddenly, she let out a cry of exasperation. It was shrill, slicing through the air between them. “I cannot believe you, Ronald! What on earth were you thinking?”

“Hermione, I did nothing wrong. You’re not going to get me to back down on this one,” he bellowed back at her. Although his voice was several octaves lower than hers, it was just as frightening.

“Did nothing wrong? Nothing wrong? Don’t be so idiotic. Only someone completely deluded could come to that conclusion. Didn’t you see what you did to Ginny? She was dis”“

“She was not distraught!” he shouted over the top of her claims. “She’s my sister and I know that she seemed upset, but, Hermione, what I said doesn’t change anything. Harry won’t put her in danger like that. He won’t let her come and whatever I say just”“

“Reinforced the fact that her case is now a hopeless one. Oh, well done, Ron! That’s just what she needed,” Hermione retorted, her voice soaked in sarcasm.

Ron released the bench with such force that it tumbled forward onto the grass. The birds in a nearby bush took flight in sudden alarm at the commotion. Hermione jumped backwards in fright also, as the cascading bench narrowly missed her feet.

“There’s no need to be violent, Ron,” she said, suddenly quiet. She had always known him to be short-tempered, but never this angry. The argument had begun to veer away from its original course and towards more personal matters that Hermione was not keen to talk about.

Suddenly realising what he was doing, Ron quickly lifted the bench with one hand and set it straight. Anger was still at the forefront of his mind; however, it now seemed to be passion that had nothing to do with Ginny and Harry. He started towards Hermione in an attempt to reason with her; to make her understand. “Hermione, I am sorry about what I said to Ginny. Do you think that it’s fun to see her in this state? But I can’t hide the fact that I agree with Harry-I don’t want her to come with us. She’s too young and she shouldn’t be involved in this.”

Hermione’s face flickered. What had before been understanding had now turned to disgust. “I feel the same,” she said shortly. “What I cannot agree with you on is the fact that you can’t admit you might have been mistaken in how you said those things to Ginny.” Her voice began to rise once again and the gnomes prepared themselves for another shrill outburst.

“What are you talking about now?” Ron asked with a conscious effort to keep his voice free from impatience.

Hermione looked up swiftly. Her eyes met his and she realised what they were arguing about. “Krum,” she whispered in the faintest of voices.

“Pardon?” Ron demanded, this time losing his patience.

She couldn’t stand in front of him like this now. She had to be away from him, or she was afraid she’d ruin it: their friendship. Hermione whipped around on the spot and began to run. The Weasley’s garden was long and as her legs carried her as fast as they could, she cursed the fact that her and Ron had been arguing at the very end of the lawn.

She heard a shout from behind her and knew that Ron was following, but she couldn’t face him. Surely she couldn’t. Those feelings she so longed to keep hidden inside of her would burst loudly from her lips without even passing through her brain. She wasn’t making any sense and didn’t know where she was running to.

“Hermione! Wait!”

There was the shout again, but Hermione didn’t even consider turning. She ran headlong passed the pond where the gnomes had laid out their towels. They scattered in all directions; one even jumping into the pond in an attempt to avoid Hermione’s pounding feet.

She slipped through the back door and flew around the corner, although she heard Ron just behind her.

“What are you doing? I don’t understand… Hermione!”
She reached the bottom of the staircase and leapt onto the first step. She now became aware that she was heading for the comfort and safety of Ginny’s room. As Hermione reached the fourth step her foot slipped and she lost balance. Ron’s instincts took over and he reached out for her. They managed to grasp hands and, as if in slow motion, they fell together down the remainder of the stairs.

Hermione screamed and Ron gripped her hand harder. There was an echoing thud and then silence.

Mrs Weasley, who had heard the scream from upstairs, began to run down to them, a pile of clean washing still in her arms. She reached the final staircase and stopped as she caught sight of what was at the bottom.

Hermione and Ron lay side by side, hand in hand and they were…kissing. Molly’s first impression was to let out a sigh of relief and a small smile, but soon her motherly instincts took over. She cleared her throat loudly enough for the couple to hear her. They looked up at her quickly. Ron’s face grew red and Hermione attempted to take the hair out of her eyes.

“I’ll go and fetch my wand, shall I?” Mrs Weasley said in a tone that clearly meant she was pleased but disapproving. “Those bruises might need some of Fred and George’s cream as well.” She turned and started back up the stairs.

As they watched her go, Ron and Hermione grinned. Then, as if she had suddenly received an electric shock, Hermione looked down at their hands. They were still tightly entwined. Ron, too, looked down. A small smile spread across his face, and even though he could feel a sharp pain in his arm, he decided that this had to be worth it. For now, at least, he had finally found exactly what he was looking for. Hermione.