Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Midnight Meeting by prongs98

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: My first fanfiction. The Marauders are one of my favorite aspects of Harry Potter, and I have an attachment to Prongs, which is my nickname in my group of friends.
It was a windy evening when a boy about the age of sixteen could be seen walking across the Hogwarts' grounds. He walked with a graceful stride, though the ground was covered in snow. He was the only person that could be seen outdoors. From a distance his jet black hair stood out against the sea of white. It was quite untidy, but nevertheless the boy ruffled it with a quick glance over his shoulder.

"James," muttered an unseen voice.

The boy with the untidy hair froze as tense as a deer, but after a moment turned to his left. Seeming relieved, he walked purposefully towards a tall wall. Tapping softly four times with his wand, the wall broke apart with a muffled rumble, revealing a passageway to an open corridor, which led to the Quidditch pitch.

"Sirius?"

"Who did you think I was?" laughed a handsome teenager emerging from the shadows. His voice was more of a bark, but his eyes twinkled amidst the darkness. A parchment lied on the ground behind him with the layout of the castle and curious moving dots.

"I thought it may be a Filch," said James. When Sirius turned to look curiously at him he continued, "I let off a dung bomb just now and he's been trying to get back at me for days."

"Excellent," Sirius chided, but then added with mock concern, "A bit tough on him, though, after setting that suit of armor after him last week." The two boys laughed, a merry sound that broke the howls of the wind. Still smiling Sirius continued, "Hey, listen. I just saw Snivellus try to mount this bucking broomstick. Lily was nearby, and even she couldn't help giggling. You should've been there."

"You saw Lily?" asked James as his hand moved to his hair again.

"Yeah, but she left. Hey, listen, isn't tomorrow a full moon? I reckon we should try..."

Muffled footsteps could be heard but the darkness prevented them from seeing the newcomer. The Marauder's Map lay abandoned as the boys reentered the shadows. A form could be seen walking toward them, but the figure’s face was too dark to make out. James and Sirius crouched quietly as the person’s face turned towards the sky. The starlight revealed a pale face and the twitch of a smile as the boy spotted the moon.

"Remus!" James called, recognizing their fellow marauder, who happened to be a werewolf.

"Thought you'd be here," replied Remus. His voice was a bit shaky in the cold, but hearty.

"I was just telling James about Snape earlier," said Sirius, "He tried to mount this bucking broomstick, which kept kicking him off. It was hilarious!" His laughter died at the sight of Remus' face, though. "Is the approaching full moon getting to you?"

Remus had tried to laugh along, but worry seemed to etch at his face. He cast them furtive glances before he muttered, "Look, I know you're having fun, but you were caught out of bed a few days ago... I don't think it would be good if you were caught again."

James turned to him with incredibility. "You hang around three illegal Animagi once a month and you're worried about being caught out of bed? ...But you have a point and it is late. Don't think I could stand another detention with McGonagall. She almost caught me with our two-way mirror," he added, turning to Sirius.

Sirius stood up, shaking off the snow, but looked up with a grin. "Almost is the key word."

The trio stood up to go, holding their cloaks close to their body. "Don't forget the map," Remus reminded them. Sirius brushed off the map but before he pulled out his wand, his eyes narrowed.

"What?" Remus asked with curiosity.

"Snivellus is out of bed too, and he's not far from here. Care to pay him a visit, and remind him of his spectacular broom performance?" Sirius asked, turning to James.

"I'd love to," James answered before Remus could try to stop them.

"It won't be long," Sirius added to Remus.

James and Sirius made off together through the snow with Remus following close behind. Try as he might, Remus found it hard to restrain his friends, so he pulled out a small book to read, but he also occasionally cast a wary eye.

On a farther spot on the grounds they began to approach a huddled form. The hunched back of Snape came into view, but they could also hear a muffled sound. James stopped in his tracks, causing Remus to bump into him.

"What?" quietly asked Sirius.

"What's that sound?" James asked. As the three of them stood still, they could hear what was unmistakably muffled sobs. Astounded, James continued to listen. Although James hated Snape and he was sure Snape hated him, he had never seen Snape succumb to the humiliation he was often put through, often because of his doing. James turned to Remus, who had a tired, shameful expression.

Noticing his stare Remus looked at James and Sirius and whispered, "Look, maybe we should just turn in." Remus turned to go and a disappointed Sirius turned to follow. It was this that pushed James to turn also - or was it the look of pity he had caught in Remus' eye? Never before had he felt sorry for Snape, if sorry he was, he thought as he walked toward the castle. What was it that he hated so much about Snape anyway? What had Snape done to him? As he strained to think of some valid reason, a shout cleared the idea from his mind.

"Hey James! I reckon Filch found your dung bomb. Should we use your trusty cloak?" Sirius asked with a restrained laugh. James realized that they had already reached the staircase, and shouts of fury could be heard from upstairs.

"Sure," James said uncertainly, but he quickly regained his composure, and with a swipe, a silvery cloak swept from his bag.