Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Essence of Loyalty by Gonz

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to Ron x Hermione for being a wonderful Beta!
“I, Cornelius Oswald Fudge, hereby do resign the position of Minister of Magic and forfeit the powers and responsibilities accorded to that office.”

Dolores Umbridge sat silently behind her desk, hearing the words from Cornelius’ resignation speech in her mind as she looked at the Ministry Official standing in her office. Part of her was still standing next to Cornelius on the podium as he announced his resignation. The other part of her could barely even believe that it had happened.

With his resignation, Cornelius had gone from the one of the most powerful men in the Wizarding World to one of the most disgraced, and now it was happening to her.

Where had it all gone wrong?

Two years ago she had had all she had ever wanted. All of her years of hard work had come to fruition. She had been Headmistress of Hogwarts, and Cornelius was still Minister of Magic. The two of them had held the Wizarding World in their fists.

They had been two of the most feared and respected people ever to run the Ministry. Now, she worked silently, clinging to a slim hope that she could bring those days of glory back, and Cornelius was now only the shell of the man she had once known.

In the two years that had passed since his resignation, Cornelius had changed beyond recognition. Every day of those long years, Dolores watched the man she thought she had known die a little more inside. Now, Dolores could barely even recognize him as the boy she had once followed around Hogwarts, as the man whom she had pledged her loyalty to, and as the Minister whose work she had helped carry out. They had spent their lives chasing a dream, but Cornelius had stopped believing. Dolores, however, still had hope that their dream could live on.

She had held onto that hope until a few moments ago when a Ministry Official walked into her office and spoke words she could scarcely believe.

“Dolores Umbridge, you are hereby ordered by the Wizengamot to appear before the court on the morning of the twenty-seventh of July to answer for crimes against the Wizarding Community.”

Dolores had only allowed one eyebrow to rise in shock, before silently reaching out her hand for the parchment the Official was carrying. He quickly handed it over to her.

Quickly glancing through the parchment, Dolores confirmed that the summons were legit. It appeared that the court had managed to gather a list of only a few of many times she had crossed the line of legality during her time at the Ministry, but it was still enough for her, if convicted, to be sent to Azkaban for the rest of her life.

Even now, two years later, it appeared that her enemies were still determined to move against her and Cornelius…. except, Cornelius’ name was nowhere on the parchment.

Dolores looked up from the parchment and asked, “Am I the only the only one being charged?”

“Yes, Senior Undersecretary,” the Official answered timidly. “Charges were originally filed against you and the former Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, but those against Fudge were dropped.”

“When did this occur?”

“About a week ago.”

“Do you know why these charges were dropped?”

“I’m sorry, Senior Undersecretary, but I’m not at liberty to say.”

How odd.

Dolores turned back to the parchment and tried to figure out the puzzle laid down before her. Most of the crimes listed had been accomplished under the orders or with the help of Cornelius Oswald Fudge. If Wizengamot was so determined to prosecute her, than why would they drop the charges against Fudge?

A moment later, she answered her own question. For in the list of charges, one read:

“The illegal use of Dementors against Edward Lennings.”

There were only two people who knew that she had ordered the Dementors to perform the kiss on Lennings three days before his trial. One was dead”had been for years”the other was the man she had sworn to serve.

Dolores rose and crushed the parchment in her hand so hard that her nails pierced her skin. It was then she realized that Cornelius had betrayed her.

Blood was running down her hand, but she didn’t even notice. She was frozen in shock; she could hardly comprehend that Cornelius must have struck a deal with Wizengamot in order to save his own skin.

How could he have done this to her?

“Senior Undersecretary, are you all right?”

Dolores glared at the fool of an official standing before her. “Out!” she yelled.

“Senior Undersecretary, I understand if you are distraught, but you may not treat a person of my stature in this manner.”

Dolores swept around her desk until she stood mere centimetres from the frightened Official, who had raised his wand in response. “Very well,” she said.

Then, in one movement, she pinned the Official against the wall and whispered in his ear, “Tell Cornelius that he will rue the day he betrayed his most loyal servant.”

Dolores released the man, who ran quickly from the room, and turned toward the lone window.

As she stood there: the parchment remained crushed in her hand, the drops of blood were creating a small puddle by her feet, and memories of Cornelius filled her mind.

How could he have forgotten all that she had done?