Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Just Breathe by hiversgrrl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to bewitcher_SR & greeneyes for their help!!!

Chapter 3 – Not So Nice to Meet You

Draco slowly opened his eyes and waited for them to adjust as the world around him came into focus. Once it did he looked around. He had no idea where he was. The last thing he remembered was a bright light, a scream, and then… blackness. Taking a deep breath, Draco tried to sit up but found he didn’t have much energy. Struggling, he managed to scoot himself up to a half-sitting position.

Looking around the room, he found some interesting things. Along with a Wizard’s Wireless, he also saw a black box made of some strange material with a glass pane in front of it. It had buttons on the side. There were two nightstands, and on the one to his right there was a copy of Magical Herbs and Fungi, an outdated edition of Witch Weekly, and a copy of a book that was titled The Queen of the Damned.

Closing his eyes, Draco tried to remember something, anything. How long had he been asleep? The sun was up, so he figured it was after noon sometime. Glancing at the nightstand to his left he saw another box, made of that same strange material, with big red glowing numbers on it. They read two-thirteen PM. A few seconds later it changed to two-fourteen PM. His eyes blinked. He’d never seen magic like this before. Draco picked up the box and found it was connected to a wall by a cord. He set it back down.

Visions of what had occurred while he was unconscious swam into his mind. Soft, hazel, almond shaped eyes, delicate and gentle touches, a kind voice whispering in his ear… and a few completely vile potions that had been shoved down his throat. Perhaps I should be happy about the potions, he thought, or else I might not have survived.

He wasn’t able to ponder much longer as the door, which had been open just a crack, was pushed wide open. Not seeing anyone there, Draco was about to call out when something small white and brown jumped on his chest.

“Woof!” A brown and white dog bounced on his chest.

“Oh, Merlin, get off me!” Draco tried to push the happy dog off his chest as it tried equally as hard to lick his face.

“Woof!” The dog barked happily.

“Move, you beast!” Draco said as he managed to knock the dog off the bed. “Ugh, damn it. I hate animals.” The dog ignored him as it began to happily chase his tail next to the bed.

“Winston!” A girl said as she walked in, holding a tray. “Bad dog! Come here!” She pointed to the ground near her feet and the dog made his way slowly, his tail tucked between his legs. Smiling down at her pet she shifted the tray she held in her hands to pet the dog with her free hand. “I know, you’re just excited.” She rubbed Winston under his chin and baby-talked to him. “Go on, go downstairs. That’s a good boy!” She smiled at the dog as he waddled off.

Draco watched the exchange between owner and dog. He’d never had a real pet and didn’t understand the ridiculous need to speak to them as if they were children. Those were two things he didn’t care much for: pets and children.

Aisling then turned her attention to Draco. She paused and looked at him. Anger, revulsion and frustration briefly swirled in her eyes before she managed to hide her emotions. “So you’re finally awake, eh?” She tried to convey nonchalance as she walked over toward the bed.

Draco watched as she set the tea tray on the nightstand next to him, the one opposite the books. “I am. Where am I?” he asked in a haughty tone, brows arched in demand of an answer. While he waited he looked her over. She had long brown curly hair and curves in other places as well. Not at all hard on the eyes.

“My home. No one will be able to find you here.” She didn’t look at him but spoke in brisk tones as she poured him some tea. He could see that she had brought toast and marmalade and also had a small goblet that seemed to be smoking. “Here,” she said as she handed him the goblet. “Drink this before you eat. It’s an Invigorating Solution. You’ll need it after your… ordeal.”

Draco looked at the cup she handed him. He peered inside at the steaming potion. How far could he trust this girl that obviously didn’t care for him very much? He surveyed her, his eyes arrogantly asking the questions in his mind.

Aisling let out a huffy breath. “Don’t worry, I haven’t been caring for you all this time just to poison you the second you wake. Believe me it would have been easier to dispose of you while you lay there helpless.” She eyed him with an arched brow, daring him to argue.

Returning her haughty look Draco drank the potion. It was sweet with just a hint of spice added in. He finished the last drop and smacked his lips loudly. As he handed the cup to her he suddenly felt strong. Draco sat up, ravenously hungry.

“You’re welcome, you know,” Aisling replied in a condescending manner.

Taking the tray she handed him he shrugged. Did he really care what she thought? “How long have I been asleep?” He took a sip of his tea then bit into his toast.

Aisling tried to ignore the few rippling chest muscles beneath his half unbuttoned nightshirt. Thankfully only the first few buttons had come undone. “What?”

“How long have I been asleep?” he repeated after he swallowed his tea.

“Three days,” Aisling replied

“My mother—”

“Is safe. I received notice from Snape hours after he left you here.” Aisling bit her lower lip. He hadn’t told her where he had taken Narcissa, just that she was somewhere no one could find her and he was safe in another place with her sister. “She also sent a trunk with some of your clothing. It arrived here with Snape’s notice.”

Draco visibly relaxed. He paused, thinking. “You said this was your home? Why did Snape bring me here?”

“Yes,” Aisling nodded as she answered his first question. “As for why he brought you here, I have no idea.” Unless it was to punish me for some wrong I did in a past life, she thought.

“Did he say where he was taking my mother?” Draco asked, wondering if she really was out of harm's way. He was worried about his mother. She always seemed so delicate. If it was his father he wouldn’t have given a damn. Draco was well rid of him and found he did not care about Lucius enough to be happy he was sitting in Azkaban.

Aisling shook her head. “No, he didn’t.”

Draco sighed impatiently. “Well, did he say when he would return for me? Or where he was going?” Is this girl being obtuse on purpose or does she have some mental problems I am not aware of?

He’s not returning soon enough, Aisling thought. “No, he didn’t. And I don’t know where he is. Even if I did know, do you think I would tell you?” She gave him a disdaining look. He was a Slytherin, a Malfoy, and a Death Eater. He was not to be trusted.

Draco squinted his eyes at her. Fevered visions of her returned. Well, not of her exactly, but her eyes. Those beautiful hazel eyes. “What did you say your name was again?”

“I didn’t,” she replied flippantly.

“Well then, what is your name?” Having finished eating he pushed his tray away and she placed it on the bed table.

“Aisling Weston.”

Draco looked surprised. Weston? Surely not, she’s too young, he thought. “Miranda Weston’s daughter?” He looked her over once more as she nodded. “I thought you would be older.”

“I have an older sister, Shauna.” She really didn’t want to talk about her family to him. She was proud of her parentage, but he was a Pureblood fanatic.

“Your mother was a very powerful witch.”

“Her powers rivaled Morgana herself,” Aisling said proudly.

“Too bad she married a Muggle,” Draco replied with a sneer.

Faster than he could say ‘Quidditch,’ Aisling had her wand pointed at his throat. “I don’t want you,” she emphasized the word by pressing her wand tip into his throat, “speaking about my father. You know nothing about him.”

Quickly hiding the surprise that had turned his grey eyes the color of hardened steel, Draco let out a slow breath. “I know he was the only Muggle to ever work at the Ministry of Magic. He worked in the Muggle Relations Department and he was a Pro-Muggle Activist.” Now it was her turn to hide the astonishment in her eyes. “And he died before you were born.” Draco’s hand itched for his wand, but he refused to take his eyes off hers and he had no idea if it was even in the room with him.

“Well, well, well, aren’t we full of surprises?” Aisling replied coldly, not moving her wand an inch.

“It was a huge bone of contention for my father, I’ve heard about it at the dinner table for years,” Draco said nonchalantly. ‘A Muggle who worked at the Ministry of Magic? Preposterous! A stain in the Ministry’s proud history,’ Lucius had declared whenever the subject came up.

“But not over the past year, surely, with your father safely tucked away in Azkaban?” She grinned slyly at him.

Draco may hate his father, but Lucius was still a Malfoy, and no one spoke ill of the Malfoys. “Don’t speak of my father like that, you filthy Half-Bl—”

“Ah, ah, ah,” Aisling said, tapping him beneath the chin with her wand after each syllable. “Normally I don’t mind the insults, only the truly ignorant use them, but since you’re in my home and dependent on my goodwill, I would watch what I say, if I were you.”

“Dependent on your goodwill for what?” Draco snarled at her.

Aisling flicked her wand at the sleeve on his left arm and had it back at his throat before he could blink. “You see that? Of course you do.” She had managed to slash open his sleeve, revealing the Dark Mark. “I’ll bet it burns,” she added as Draco covered it up with his right hand. “Your pals are looking for you, or had you forgotten? They won’t be able to find you here. And you stay here, as long as I let you.” She smirked at the look in his eyes, defiant and defeated at the same time. Truly a Malfoy, wasn’t he?

He decided to change the subject. “Where is my wand?” His tone, though, still conveyed a sense of pride and entitlement.

Lowering her wand, she replied, “Safely tucked away. Even I am not so stupid as to allow a Death Eater in my home brandishing his wand.” Waving her wand at the used tray, it hovered before her and she turned toward the door to leave. “I won’t give it to you, so don’t bother asking.” She opened the door and looked back at him. “You’re free to get out of bed any time now. You will be expected to help around here as needed. I am not your maid, so take care to clean up after yourself.” Then, taking the tray in her hand, she stared at him and waved her wand quickly at him before disappearing behind the closed door.

Draco hastily tried to shield himself from her spell by covering his head with his arms. When she had closed the door he wondered what the hell she had waved her wand in his direction for. Looking down, he noticed his sleeve. She had repaired the tear.