Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Changing the Past by PEMDAS

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: What will Harry, Ron and Hermione do when they discover they're traveled back in time? Find out...
***



Harry, Ron and Hermione stared, unbelieving, at the poster in the window. “1976?” Ron stammered. “But isn’t it supposed to be 1997?”



Hermione was quivering. “I don’t know how,” she said, “but Harry’s words must have taken us back in time.”



“What? That’s impossible,” Harry said. He tried to sound brave, but he was quaking with fear in reality. They had no belongings on them except for their clothes, and their wands, which would have been suicide without. They had no idea what might happen to them.



“Wha-what should we do now?” Ron questioned aloud, hoping Harry or Hermione knew more than he did.



“The only thing I can think to do is go up to Hogwarts,” Hermione said uncertainly. We can’t be sure that school is in session; we don’t know what time of the year it is...”



“Well, it was morning at the Burrow when we left,” Harry said, “but now it’s evening. The time change could’ve altered the day, as well. We can’t be sure.”



“Let’s go up to the castle anyway, then,” Hermione said. “Even if it is still summer, there’s bound to be at least one staff member up there.”



So with that, they all got up and began walking up to the castle. Harry noted that the leaves on the trees were fading to yellow and red, and he told Hermione this. “Good, then it’s not summer,” Hermione said, not stopping. “By the looks of things, it’s probably late September or early October here.”



“Wicked!” Ron suddenly exclaimed, pointing. Harry followed his finger and his eyebrows raised. The Weeping Willow was no longer the towering mass of wood it had been before they left; it was currently barely as tall as Harry was. “Well, we don’t have to worry about that yet,” Harry said. “I wonder if Lupin...”



Suddenly, realization dawned on Harry. “Lupin!” he said again. “The Marauders! They’re all at the school still!”



“You’re right,” Hermione said.



“That means...” Harry stopped to think for a moment. “Maybe we got sent back in time because of what I said earlier. About wanting to change the past. Maybe we got sent here so I could save my parents’ lives...and Sirius’ and Dumbledore’s, too!”



Hermione wheeled around to face him. She was not as thrilled as he was about the prospect. “Harry, listen to me,” she said sternly. “Time travel is a very dangerous business. A small mistake could drastically change the future. Harry, please don’t try to mess things up.”



“No, Hermione, you listen to me,” Harry said. “Think about this for a sec. If I could change the future, things would be a lot better. I wouldn’t have to live with my aunt and uncle anymore. My parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore would still be alive. And...”



“Sure, there are positive things about that, Harry,” Hermione said. “But what about us? If you grew up with your parents, you wouldn’t have that scar. Voldemort would be after someone else...like Neville. I don’t think I could imagine you would be that selfish.”



Harry hadn’t thought of that. Voldemort wouldn’t be after him, but he’d be dumping the responsibility on someone else.



“I’ll think about it, Hermione. But the opportunity is too great to resist,” Harry said. They continued walking, Hermione eyeing Harry carefully. Ron, on the other hand, was wrapped up in looking around the grounds.



“Hey, look,” he said. “That old oak over there was cut down during our time...and that mark on the side of the North Tower from Buckbeak is gone...and, oh, the doors are painted differently.”



“Good observation, Ron,” Hermione said sarcastically as they reached the front doors. Luckily they weren’t locked, and they walked right into the entrance hall. Things looked identical to when they were in school in the future, minus a few paintings and a suit of armor.



“I think they’re eating dinner right now,” Hermione commented, hearing loud chatter from the Great Hall.”



“Let’s go, then,” Harry said, walking straight up to the door to the Great Hall.



“Harry, are you nuts?!” Hermione said.



“If someone sees us before we talk to Dumbledore...” Ron started, but Harry had already walked right into the hall.



No one noticed him at first in the crowded hall, but as he walked up to the head table, several people began to point and whisper. Harry realized he had an uncanny resemblance to James, so he steered clear of the Gryffindor table for now. “Nice glasses, Potter,” a Slytherin sneered. Harry realized, as he turned to retaliate, that it was none other than Severus Snape. Not wanting to give away that he wasn’t James immediately, Harry replied, “Nice hair, Snivellus.” It sickened him to say it, but Harry wasn’t ready to give himself away until someone realized he wasn’t James...like James himself.



Harry reached the head table, but first looked at the Gryffindor table to search for his parents and the Marauders. His stomach lurched when he saw Lily Evans...now he realized why everyone was falling all over her. She was one of the most beautiful witches he’d ever seen. No, Harry forced himself to think, that’s your mum. Don’t get any ideas.



He then searched the table for the Marauders. He didn’t see them, and a disappointment washed over him...did something happen to them? But then he figured they were probably either exploring the castle or in detention. So he turned to face Dumbledore. The elder wizard, although 20 years younger, looked almost exactly the same as when Harry had last seen him before his death, but slightly less elderly features, such as wrinkles.



“Professor Dumbledore, sir,” Harry said, “may I speak with you for a moment?”



“Is something the matter, Mr. Potter?” Dumbledore said, glancing down at him for a closer look. “Oh, wait...you’re not Mr. Potter, are you? Pardon me, young sir, but you seem to look a lot like another student here.”



“I’ll bet,” Harry said. “But, yes, I am Mr. Potter, but not James.”



Dumbledore looked confused. “Perhaps we should talk, Mr. ...Potter...” he said, still a bit confused. Harry and Dumbledore walked through a side door to talk in the hall.



“Professor,” Harry said, “my name is Harry Potter.”



“Hello, Harry Potter,” Dumbledore said. “I have a feeling you’re not from this time period, are you?”



Harry’s stomach lurched. “How do you know that?”



“Well, you’re appearance is almost exactly like another student here, like I mentioned earlier,” Dumbledore said, “and you also share the same last name. I assume you’re either his father from the past, or his son from the future.”



“Uh...yeah, I’m James’ son,” Harry said. He explained that Ron and Hermione were also here, and Dumbledore immediately stopped him.



“Harry, you must get them out of the hall immediately,” Dumbledore said. “We mustn’t let them talk to anyone.”



Harry rushed back into the hall and, to his relief, Ron and Hermione were standing in front of the Head Table, as everyone stared at them. Harry fervently motioned for them to follow him back into the hallway. They obliged, and both gasped when they saw Dumbledore.



“Professor Dumbledore?” Ron said, and Dumbledore nodded. “Wicked! You look exactly the same!”



“Thank you, young sir,” Dumbledore said.



“Oh,” Ron said, extending his hand. “Ron Weasley.”



“Weasley, you say?” Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his eye. “I seem to recall a Mr. Arthur Weasley that passed through this school, not five years ago,” Dumbledore said. Ron looked disappointed at the news, as he wouldn’t be meeting his mother or father. “I remember he had a passion for Muggle Studies, that one,” Dumbledore continued, which drew giggles from Hermione.



“I’m sorry, miss,” Dumbledore said, “but I didn’t catch your name."



“Oh, Hermione, sir. Hermione Granger,” Hermione said.



“Granger...” Dumbledore said, racking his brain. “I don’t recall any ‘Granger’ passing through Hogwarts.”



“That’s because I’m Muggle-Born, sir,” Hermione said.



“Ah, that would explain it, then,” Dumbledore said. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”



Dumbledore turned to Harry. “Now, Harry Potter,” Dumbledore said, “I would love to keep talking to you now, but I must return to the meal now and dismiss the students. However, I must advise you not to talk to anyone you know, so as not to change the future drastically,” Dumbledore said.



“But sir,” Harry said before Hermione could comment, “I came here with the intention of changing the past.”



Dumbledore stared at him blankly. “I won’t deny you that chance immediately, Harry,” Dumbledore said carefully, and Harry’s heart leapt. “But changing the future is a tricky, tricky business, and I wish to hear the whole story of your past...ahem, your past in the future...before deciding. My instincts tell me you shouldn’t discuss with anyone, except amongst yourselves, the events of the future.”



“Agreed,” they all said.



“Now,” Dumbledore said, “what House were all three of you Sorted into in your time?”



“Gryffindor,” they all replied.



Dumbledore smiled. “I thought you might, Mr. Weasley,” he said, “as there hasn’t been a Weasley at Hogwarts that wasn’t a Gryffindor...and Mr. Potter, as your father is there now. You’re all sixth-years, correct?”



“Yes.”



“Then you know where you’re going,” Dumbledore said. “Harry, Ron, you’ll be sharing a dormitory with-”



“James, Peter, Sirius, and Remus,” Harry said automatically. “I know.”



Dumbledore looked at him in surprise. “Correct,” he said. “Miss Granger, you will be with the sixth year girls, who are Lily Evans” (Harry coughed) “...Veronica Miles, Haley Smith, and Jordan Cameron.”



“Thank you, Professor,” Hermione said.



“As for your schedules...” Dumbledore said. “Mr. Potter, I believe you and Mr. Weasley can stay with Mr. Potter...James, that is...and Miss Granger can stay with...”



“Lily Evans,” Hermione said instinctively.



“You know her, then?” Dumbledore inquired.



“I do, Professor, actually,” Harry said. “She’s my...”



Ron elbowed him hard.



“Perhaps you had better not share any further information with me at this time,” Dumbledore said. “That will come in due time. As for now, you may all join the Gryffindor table.” All four of them walked back into the Great Hall.



By now, word had spread that three sixth-years that no one had seen before had managed to keep Dumbledore’s attention for ten minutes. They naturally all began staring and whispering as they all reemerged from the hallway. Harry, Ron and Hermione walked over to the Gryffindor table. Harry instinctively began walking towards his mother, but Hermione grabbed his sleeve and steered him to an abandoned end of the table, where they all grabbed a few morsels to chew on. After about five minutes of ignoring stares and whispers, Dumbledore finally dismissed the students to their common rooms. Harry, Ron and Hermione immediately got up and joined the crowd that was pushing their way out of the Great Hall.



When they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, they realized they didn’t know the password. “What’s the password?” Ron hissed at Hermione.



“How should I know?” Hermione said.



“You’re the smart one!”



“Um, excuse me?” The voice caused all three of them to jump. They turned around and who should be behind them but Lily Evans. “Are you new here?” Lily asked.



“Yes,” Hermione said. “We don’t know the password.”



“Oh, it’s gratis specialis,” Lily said, and the Fat Lady opened immediately. Before they all walked into the common room, Lily caught sight of Harry. Her eyes widened in surprise.



“Oh my...sorry, it’s just that you look so much like someone I know,” Lily said to Harry.



“James?” Harry said. Hermione secretly kicked him. Lily didn’t notice.



“How’d you know?” she asked.



“Oh, uh...” Harry racked his brain for an excuse. “I, uh, heard people talking about how much we looked alike.” That was actually true for the most part.



“I see...” Lily said, a bit skeptical. Harry found himself staring into her mesmerizing green eyes. Stop it, he reprimanded himself. She’s your mother. Don’t look at her like she’s an alien. “Is everything all right?” she asked, seeing him shake his head.



“Oh...yeah...” Harry said. “I’m just tired. You know, long day of traveling from our other school.”



Ron opened his mouth to question this, but Hermione kicked him, also. “Yeah,” Hermione said. “We transferred over from the American wizarding school, Adstruffy Academy.”



“Why do you have British accents if you’re from America?” Lily asked. She was beginning to get confused.



“We were born and raised in England,” Ron blurted out, thinking fast. “We moved to America before we started school.”



“’We’?” Lily asked. “All at the same time?”



Before any of them could think of more excuses, a voice from behind all of them said, “Hey Evans, what’s happening?”



Harry turned around sharply and found himself face-to-face with his father, James Potter.