Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Changing the Past by PEMDAS

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Bit of an unoriginal chapter title, I know, but it's not that important, is it? Enjoy!


Harry strode into the Transfiguration, head still spinning from his meeting with Dumbledore. Ron and Hermione spotted him come in, and motioned for him to sit with them. Harry started to walk towards their table, but saw that James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were also motioning for him. Harry gave a meaningful look at Ron and Hermione before sitting with the Marauders.

“Hey, Harry!” Sirius greeted him. “Glad you could join us.”

“Where were you in Potions?” James asked. “McGonagall told us this morning you’d been given the same schedule as us.”

“Oh, Dumbledore kept me for a while,” Harry replied. “I’ll have to explain later; it’s a long story.”

“Fair enough,” James said, dropping the subject for now. Just then, McGonagall walked into the room, cutting their conversation short. Harry realized soon, and he knew Ron and Hermione did as well, that this lesson was one they’d perfected in their sixth year back home: transfiguring a tea kettle into a bottle of ink. When McGonagall asked the class what the incantation was, Hermione’s hand rose instantly to give the correct answer, and McGonagall awarded ten points to Gryffindor, to everyone’s delight.

“Your friend’s pretty smart,” Remus said to Harry. “She’s most likely smarter than I am.”

“Come off it, Moony,” Sirius said. “You’re smarter than you think.”

“Aw, I’m not that smart,” Remus replied modestly. “I just pay attention in class, that’s all.”

“You guys, we shouldn’t be calling each other by our nicknames in front of Harry,” James said to Sirius, Remus and Peter. “He doesn’t know us yet.”

“I actually know more about you four than you think,” Harry whispered. That drew horrified looks from the Marauders, but before they could ask him to elaborate, McGonagall deducted five points from Gryffindor for their talking.

Later in the lesson, Ron Banished a note to Harry under the desks, asking where he’d been at Potions. Harry wrote that he’d been explaining his story to Dumbledore, and Banished it back to Ron. Ron and Hermione read over it, and satisfied, went back to work.

“So, Harry,” James whispered a few minutes later when McGonagall was out of earshot, “I noticed you met Lily Evans already. What do you think of her?”

“Erm...” Harry thought about this. “She seems nice,” he offered. “And she’s not ugly or anything,” he added, avoiding using affectionate terms that might set James off.

James nodded. “You’re right there,” he said. “I personally think she’s amazing.” He took to staring wistfully at the back of Lily’s head, which was bent over the desk as she worked hard to transfigure her kettle. Harry, who had yet to start on his kettle, wasn’t worried about getting caught not working, as only Ron and Hermione had yet to accomplish the task.

“Come on, Pr...erm, James,” Sirius said, avoiding the nickname. “I’m sure Harry doesn’t want to hear about your personal life.”

“Oh, I don’t mind,” Harry said quickly, wanting to hear more. “Actually, you might say that Lily is sort of...related to me.”

“Really?” James said, surprised.

“Well, not exactly,” Harry said. It was true; she wasn’t his mother yet. “But I sort of know her.”

James nodded absentmindedly. “Well, it’s not exactly a big secret around the school, but I fancy Lily,” he said. “I’ve been trying to get her to go out with me for a few years, but she hasn’t really paid attention to me yet. She keeps saying I’m a big showoff and stuff.”

“Well, maybe if you didn’t go around hexing people and playing with that Snitch all the time, she might think differently of you,” Harry said without thinking. Sirius, Remus and Peter’s eyes grew wide.

“He’s right, James,” Sirius said. “He does know a lot about us.”

“How did you know that?” Peter piped up. Harry started; it was the first thing he’d heard the smaller boy say since he’d gotten there.

“Erm...” Harry thought. “Well, like you said, it’s not a big secret around the school, right?”

“Oh...I guess so,” James said. He still looked very suspicious. “I’m getting the feeling there’s something you’re not telling us, Harry.”

Harry sighed. “You’re right,” he admitted. “James, is there somewhere we can talk tonight? Alone?”

Sirius, Remus and Peter looked at each other.

“Uh, yeah,” James said. “I guess we can go to one of the alcoves on the seventh floor I “ we “ found a couple years ago.”

“Good,” Harry said. “And guys...” He was referring to the other three. “...I’ll tell you guys later. You’ll want to know, too.”

James and the others nodded, and just then, the bell rang. “I’ll take you up on that, Harry,” James said. “I’ll meet you in the common room by the fire at eight.”

“You got it,” Harry replied, and the Marauders walked out of the room for lunch.

Harry was about to follow after them (and Ron and Hermione) when he heard a short “Oh!” from behind him. He turned to see Lily, who had tripped over her bench and spilled all her books and papers everywhere. He walked up the aisle to her and started picking up her stuff. “Back off, James!” Lily growled suddenly, then looked up to see Harry, who was startled. “Oh, sorry about that, Harry,” she sighed. “I thought you were...well, anyway...”

“That’s okay,” Harry said. He started picking up one of her books, but his hand accidentally met hers. They held hands for a brief second before Harry drew away, heart thumping. “Sorry,” he said hastily.

“No problem,” Lily said, smiling. She and Harry looked up to meet eyes truly for the first time, and Harry was staring deeply into her green eyes. They were rather beautiful...HARRY POTTER! his mind screamed at her. Don’t you dare think of your mother like that.

But she’s not my mother yet, Harry argued with himself. Lily finally broke the silence. “You have green eyes just like me,” she commented softly. “I thought I was the only one with green eyes in the school.”

“Not anymore,” Harry said, smiling weakly. Lily grinned and squeezed his hand slightly before standing up again. Harry’s heart leapt for some reason, and he mentally kicked himself. What’s your problem? he said. He was actually flirting with his mum!

Harry stood up, as well. “So...” Lily said. “I guess I’ll see you at Defense Against the Dark Arts after lunch,” she said.

“Yeah,” Harry managed to croak out. Lily began walking out of the room, and Harry thought he heard a slight chuckle. After watching her walk away for a few seconds, he also left the room. When he did, Ron and Hermione walked up to him. “About time,” Ron said. “I was about to walk in and interrupt your little talk with your mum, but Hermione stopped me.

Harry mentally thanked Hermione for doing so. “So, I suppose you want to know what Dumbledore said,” he sighed to them. They both nodded eagerly. “Well, he told me that I should keep everything to myself and not share any information with anyone else until we can figure out how to get home again.”

“Ha!” Hermione said victoriously. “See, I told you he’d never approve of changing things here.”

“Who says I’m going to listen to him?” Harry then said, causing Hermione to stop and gawk at him. “Sorry, Hermione, but I can’t do it. I have to tell them. How can I just go back home knowing I had the chance to save their lives, but just passed up the opportunity?”

“Harry, no!” Hermione cried. “You’re making a big mistake! You don’t know what the consequences of that could be!”

“No, I don’t,” Harry admitted. “But I want to face them knowing I at least made an effort to save their lives.” Harry looked to his left and saw Ron, expressionless, standing off to the side. He had yet to say anything on the matter. “What do you think, Ron?”

“Well, mate,” Ron said, “I do think Hermione’s right in saying it’s dangerous to change things here.” Hermione beamed. “However,” he continued, and Hermione’s smile faded, “I trust your judgment, because I’ve known you for so long. Just be careful with what you change, mate.” Hermione glared at him as he said this.

“Hermione,” Harry said, turning to face his friend, who was near tears, “I know that you are trying to help. But this is my decision to make, not yours. Just trust me.”

Hermione nodded sullenly. “Like Ron said,” she told him, “just be careful.”

Harry nodded. “Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. I promise.”

He hoped.

***

Harry could hardly wait until eight ‘o clock. He got thirty points taken away from Gryffindor total in his last three classes of the day for not paying attention, which was obviously a new record, because the Marauders were in awe of him by the time they were dismissed for the day. Finally, after a few hours of pacing and mulling over what to say, 8:00 rolled around, and James came down to join Harry by the fire, Invisibility Cloak in hand. “Betcha didn’t know I had one of these?” James said, smirking.

“Actually, I did,” Harry replied, wiping the smirk from James’ face. “C’mon, I’ll explain everything once we’re there,” Harry said, throwing the cloak over he and James and walking out of the common room. When James had shown him the way to the alcove, they pushed the tapestry covering it aside and got comfortable against the walls, across from each other.

“Now,” Harry said, “you’re probably wondering how I know so much about you and your friends. A few facts: you’re illegal Animagi, except Remus, who’s a werewolf. You have dubbed yourself the Marauders, and you have a map called the Marauder’s Map, which is activated by saying ‘I solemnly swear I am up to no good’, and deactivated by saying ‘Mischief managed’.” James, wide-eyed, was unable to speak.

“I know, it’s a bit shocking,” Harry said. “And you may have also wondered why we look so much alike...in fact, how we’re practically twins, except for eye color and my glasses.” James nodded dumbly, and Harry sighed. He decided to come straight out and tell James. “James...I’m not from this time. I’m your son,” he blurted out.

James stared blankly at Harry for a moment. Harry continued. “It may be hard to understand, but it’s true,” he said. “Now, I should tell you about what happens in your future...”

“Harry,” James said weakly. “I need to tell you something.”

“What?” Harry asked.

“You’re not my son,” James replied.

“No, seriously, James,” Harry said. “It’s hard to believe, I know, but...”

“No, no, you don’t understand,” James insisted. “Harry...I’m not from this time, either.”

***

Author’s Note: Betcha didn’t see that coming, did you? All will be revealed in Chapter 6. Hope this makes you want to read more!