Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Killer Instincts by Ginny Weasley Potter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hello! I'm back with chapter 27!

I have written chapter 28 and am almost done with chapter 29 too. I hope I can submit them before I leave for exams on the 26th of May, because then I'm not updating until July 17th. Oh yeah, med exams can suck. >.< And yeah, Chris DID attack Daisy. No loopholes! And what do you guys think of Cheryl? This is for my Grandparents who are just so cute!
Chris bid the last of his guests goodbye before shutting the main door of his house and turning to his parents and the Willis family, all of whom were seated at the couches. Cheryl, who was sitting on one of the loveseats made place for him beside her as he walked back. She had been staring at him ever since they'd been introduced and Chris wondered if Cheryl might actually be attracted to him, as Rebecca had told him when he had spoken with her and Shaun later on. Nevertheless Chris took his place promptly and turned to his mother. “Erm... So what were you saying, Mum?”

His mother frowned in bewilderment but remembered. “Oh. That.” She turned to Mrs Willis. “Brenda, you needed a showstopper for your men's range of outfits, right?” Mrs Willis was a well known fashion designer. She designed most of Melanie's clothes and Chris had to agree that she was good. Mr Willis, on the other hand was an actor who had starred opposite Melanie many times. That was how the Willis family was so close to the Stevenses.

Mrs Willis nodded. “Yes, Yes I do.”

“Will Chris fit the bill?”

“MUM!”

Melanie looked at Chris. “What happened?”

“I” I can't...”

“You very well can, Chris. It's not even going to be very time consuming.”

“But””

“Just do it this once. I promise I won't ask you to go for anything else. Brenda really needs a showstopper and all the good male models have been taken.”

“But I can't even walk like all those models do” I””

“There will be people to teach you, Chris. You will not make a fool of yourself.”

Chris sighed and rubbed his temples while Mrs Willis spoke to his mother. “Don't force him, Melanie, he's not into this.”

Melanie nodded. “Fine... I think we should look for someone else. Doesn't Cheryl know any co-actor who might be willing?”

“Unfortunately, everyone's booked on some movie or the other. And I could have cancelled my program if I hadn't made too many promises.”

Melanie sighed and looked at Chris a last time. “Even Cheryl will be coming. Both of you will walk together. Please, dear...”

Chris let out a deep breath. “All right, I'll do it. But this is the last time I'm doing anything that isn't related to my profession.”

“That's okay. We will not force you into our field like this. Don't worry.”

Chris nodded as Kevin got up with a smile. “Let's all have a few drinks together. What say?”

Everyone agreed and Kevin went in to get the drinks. He returned with a few bottles of champagne and they all enjoyed it together. Finally, just before midnight the Willises left and Chris was with his parents, alone. After they had driven away, Melanie shut the door and smiled at Chris. “Well, your father and I haven't given your birthday gift yet. Haven't you noticed?”

Chris gave her a half smile. “Actually, I didn't.”

“Do you want it?”

“Of course I do, Mum.”

“Okay, then,” said Melanie. She walked to the couch, where she had placed her handbag. Then she picked it up and rummaged through it, extracting a small box from it. She brought it to Chris and gave it to him. “Open it.”

Chris opened the box and gasped. Inside was a beautiful silver ring studded with a sparkling diamond. It shone innocently at his face, making him look at it in wonder. But there was a hitch. “Erm Mum...”

“Yes?”

“This ring is meant for girls!”

Melanie raised an eyebrow. “Of course it is, dear. Daisy is a girl, isn't she?”

Chris was confused for a minute, but he understood soon enough. And as it sunk in, a lump began to form in his throat. His mother expected him to propose to Daisy. She probably wasn't aware that Daisy was in a coma and that there was a huge doubt as to whether she'd even wake up again. Melanie in the meantime was talking on, unaware of Chris's thoughts. “The ring's been in our family for ages. It has been your grandma's. She gave it to me. And now I want you to pass this on to Daisy. We got it polished so that it looks brand new. And we”” she suddenly noticed his expression. “What's wrong?”

Chris took a calming breath and shut the box. “I think you should keep this with yourself for the time being.” He placed it on the coffee table and walked away to his room.

He was just gathering a few things in his backpack for the stay at the hospital with Daisy, when his mother entered the room. Her eyes swivelled over to his packing and then to him. She came forward and put a hand on his shoulder. “What happened? Is it something with Daisy?”

Chris turned around and before he could say anything, he was hugging her with tears streaming down his face.

***

Harry was coaxing Naina to sleep for the umpteenth time, as the child screamed in anger. Her cries were getting louder by the minute and Harry was getting irritated with her. This was one of Naina's many tantrums where she insisted that she would sleep if Parvati held her. Harry would have been ready to give her anything but she was unfortunately asking for the unobtainable. There was no way to bring Parvati back to life.

There was a knock at the door and Harry lifted Naina with one arm as he opened the door. Ginny stood outside in a dressing gown, rubbing sleep from her eyes. “Why is she screaming so much?”

“Parvati.”

“Oh Merlin. Won't she sleep otherwise?”

“I don't think so.”

“Did you try warm milk?”

“Not yet.”

“I'll get it then. It generally works.”

In a few minutes, Harry kept Naina on his lap and brought the bottle of milk close to her mouth. She screamed and pushed it away. “Come on!” Harry said in a frustrated tone. He looked at Ginny, who saw his expression and burst into giggles. “What?” he asked, getting angrier.

“Nothing,” Ginny said, controlling her giggles. “I've just realised that it's no wonder she's got that terrible temper. It seems to have been inherited.”

Harry raised an eyebrow as he held Naina's flailing arms and pushed the nipple through her mouth. Once she got the taste of milk, she started to suck peacefully. Harry then looked at Ginny. “I never threw tantrums.”

“You were very close to doing so.”

“That's silly!”

“No it's not. I remember those days very well.”

“What?! Oh yeah. I realise this now. You might be talking of the days before I lost my memory in the plane crash.”

“Ha ha. That doesn't make me laugh.”

“Well, you just did.”

“Yeah, and now I'm gonna cry for that pathetic little joke.”

“Please don't. I can't stand more wailing.”

“That wasn't funny either.”

“Since when was I supposed to be a clown, anyway?”

Ginny grinned at his comment. Then she broke into giggles again. “You are a thick, stupid fool, Harry Potter.”

“Thank you for the immense praise,” said Harry nonchalantly. Ginny smacked him on the shoulder and stuck out her tongue. Harry in the meantime, noticed that Naina was falling asleep. He pressed a finger to his lips and Ginny grew quiet as she too saw Naina. In the next five minutes, Naina was fully asleep and Harry placed her on the cot. “Well, that's that,” he whispered triumphantly.

“Guess I should leave,” Ginny said, keeping her voice low. “Good night!”

“Good night,” Harry whispered, suddenly not wanting her to leave. It had been ages since he had spoken like this to Ginny and he realised that he was sad to let it go. Ginny, in the meantime was at the door. She placed a hand on the doorknob, preparing to shut it. Harry suddenly had a thought. “Listen, Ginny...”

She stopped and turned around. “What happened?”

He got up from the bed and walked to her. She was looking at his face with confusion on hers. And without warning, Harry grasped her by her shoulders and bent down, to meet his lips with hers.

She did not respond immediately but in a few seconds, she was kissing him back. But she suddenly pulled away, fear etched on her face. She then stared at a point behind Harry and he also turned to see a photo of Parvati hanging from a nail on the wall. Ginny gasped. “This isn't right... I'm such a horrible person... Oh Merlin...” Fear welled up her eyes. “I'm really sorry, Harry. I'm sorry. I... I must go...” She turned and walked away, leaving Harry very confused.

***

Daisy was on her way to the lake again and this time, she was frustrated. Why wasn't she able to wake up from these nightmares? What sort of a horrible sleep was this anyway? She really was in no mood to remember the past like this!

Daisy turned around, to see what would happen if she refused to see the dream. She took a step towards the castle, but suddenly a blanket of darkness fell upon her and she could see no more.

***

Healer Tudor saw the EEG carefully. The frequency of REM waves had been reducing from midnight onwards and since the last two hours, they had disappeared completely. So Daisy was in a complete coma. She was left with her own will power and strength. The Healers could do nothing but find an antidote for the poison now.

***

Daisy walked to the lake feeling fidgety with fear. Chris had called her there, saying that he wanted to tell her something. She thought she knew what he wanted to say and she was aware that she also felt the same.

Daisy was sure that she was in love with Chris. And she knew that he loved her too. That was what he was probably going to confess to her. Of course, they had just about completed two months together, but their relationship was different from the rest of those ordinary ones. They were friends first and weren't just together because of physical attraction. Besides, Daisy had to say something to Chris too. But the trouble was that she didn't know how he'd take the news.

Daisy reached the lake and saw Chris perched on a rock, deep in thought. Daisy trudged over to him and seated herself on a rock next to his. He looked at her. “Hey.”

“Hi,” replied Daisy.

“I have to talk to you about something.”

“So do I.”

“You go first.”

Daisy licked her lips and took a deep breath. “I well... I...” she shut her eyes, willing herself to be strong. Then she looked straight into his eyes. “I h”have been e”experiencing a certain... I... Oh shite...”

“What is it?”

“Ithinkimpregnant.”

Chris however understood her word jumble of a sentence. “What?! How come? How can you be pregnant?”

“What do you mean by asking me that question?”

“I... Just... Sorry. Have you taken the test?”

“Not yet. I will do it later today, though.”

“Oh thank goodness... Tell me for sure after you've taken the test.”

“You... You aren't going to be there while I take it?”

“I can't enter a girls' bathroom.”

“I'm doing it in the Heads' bathroom. You can enter that.”

“I... You do it and tell me. Please...?”

Daisy tried not to get angry. ”Fine. But... What should we do if I really am...?

“How far along might you be?”

“If I'm really pregnant, then it should be about a month, I guess.”

“Then it won't be difficult to get rid of it.”

“What?!”

Chris gave her a confused look. “Don't tell me that you want to keep it!”

“How can I kill it like that, Chris?”

“But you have to! How do you expect to achieve anything in life with a child to take care of? You're too young. And hell, you'll get big! You'll need complete attention, good rest... And you'll have finished full term by June, which means you could go into labour during exams. Over all of this people will talk, Daisy.”

“I'll look into whatever's gotta be done if I'm pregnant, okay? I'm thinking of telling my Mum about it in case the test is positive. She will get angry but she'll finally support me anyway. She might make arrangements for me to go home once the bump starts showing. I'll complete my course next year in that case.” Daisy's mother taught Ancient Runes at Hogwarts.

“Hmmm... But there's a... Problem.”

“What is it?”

Chris sighed. “Well... Remember I wanted to say something to you too?”

“Hmm?”

“I well... Flower...”

Daisy chuckled. “You know that's the cheesiest nickname ever? But I let you call me that only because you won't stop using that name for me.”

Chris half smiled. “Erm... Right. Now I have to tell you...” he scratched his eye, unable to get out words.

Daisy smiled. She knew Chris had just told her that this was a ‘problem’ to make her nervous. And now, he was getting embarrassed to tell her about it. She put her hand on his and gave it a squeeze. “Tell me, Chris.”

He gave her an uncomfortable look and heaved another sigh. “Well, what I'm gonna tell you is very difficult for me to say.”

“Just try telling me about it.”

Chris shut his eyes once. “Okay. Daisy... I... You know, a lot of girls are after me?”

Daisy looked at him, confused. “Mmm hmm.”

“And a few have asked me out even after the two of us have been together.”

Daisy shrugged. “I have no problems with that.”

“Well, that's not the point,” said Chris. “The thing is... I think we” you and I, that is” should end it here.”

Daisy narrowed her eyes at him. “What?”

“I was talking to Shaun the other day and he told me about this bunch of girls who've asked him about me. Then I just realised that... Maybe this is too early for commitment.”

Daisy had her hands on her hips. “Do you know that you aren't making sense at all?”

“I... How do I explain this to you?”

“Just tell me straight!”

Chris looked into Daisy's eyes. “Okay. Straight it is. But promise me you won't blow up.”

Daisy grimaced. “Fine. Just get on with the effing thing.”

Chris took Daisy's hand and interlocked his fingers with hers. “I am getting tired of being in a relationship. I don't want to be committed anymore. I” I want to be free to look around, flirt and have all that fun. I want the ‘single and unreachable’ image.”

Daisy could feel the heat bubbling inside her. She might just be carrying Chris's child, and he was coolly going on about break up and the likes. Hell, Daisy was considering giving up a part of her studies for the kid and Chris was talking nonsense! She was on her feet before she knew it. “So that's why you want me to get rid of the child if it's there.”

“Daisy, you promised you wouldn't blow up. And the child””

“SCREW the promise, Chris, I'm leaving!”

“Daisy, listen,” Chris caught her arm and stood up himself. “See, if you're pregnant””

“” then I'm NOT having an abortion!”

“I know. I'll help””

Daisy pulled his hand off her arm. “I don't need your sympathy, okay? You can go about your relationship games. I'm sorry I thought you were different. You are, in fact, worse than those other guys. At least they have valid reasons to break up with their girlfriends, no matter how casual they have been about their relationships. So here we part ways. I wish you luck with those other girls. Bye.” Without so much as a backward glance, Daisy walked away to the castle. Tears were threatening to blur her vision but she willed them away.

Soon, Daisy was striding along the corridor that led to Mourning Myrtle's bathroom. When she reached the bathroom, she found Pari standing there with a goblet in her hands. “Where's Chris?” she asked.

“He's not coming so we'll just do it here,” Daisy replied. “Right. What do I have to do?”

“Just dip your finger into the potion,” said Pari. “If your nail turns blue, the test is negative and if it's pink, you're pregnant.”

Daisy took a deep breath and dipped a finger into the solution. She left it there for a few seconds and pulled it out to find her nail distinctly coloured. She smiled at the colour and showed it to Pari. It was blue. “Oh Merlin, I'm so relieved!” gasped Daisy, as Pari hugged her.

“Are you going to tell Chris now?”

“No,” Daisy replied. “I think I must go back.”

Pari frowned. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, yes,” Daisy said, “what should be wrong with me? I” er” I'll see you tomorrow.” Daisy walked out of the bathroom before Pari could stop her. She walked up staircase after staircase, only stopping in between to wipe off a tiny tear that had fallen down her cheek.

She took three tries to get the right answer to the question that the door to the Ravenclaw Common Room asked her. Finally she was in the large, airy room, watching people either study or pass time around her. On a couch next to the fireplace was Andrew, studying something. Daisy went and sat on the empty place beside him. He looked up at her and gasped. “What's wrong?”

That was the last straw. Daisy threw her arms around Andrew and burst into tears.

“Daisy! What happened?” Andrew asked again, hugging her tight.

Daisy couldn't even control her tears enough to answer his question. She buried her face into his shoulder as he rubbed her back. She cried for a long time and Andrew patiently waited for her to finish. “Now will you tell me what's wrong?”

Daisy angrily wiped away the last of her tears. “That bastard dumped me!” She narrated the entire incident that had taken place. “How dare he!” she said. “He happily left me in this mess for his stupid experiments! And thank God that I'm not pregnant, or I'd have had a tough time.”

“I'll talk to him,” Andrew said, standing up from the couch.

“The only thing you'll tell him is that I'm not pregnant,” Daisy said. “I'll handle anything else, if I have to.”

Andrew sighed and nodded. “If you say so.”

Daisy gave him a weak smile. “So, how was your day...?”

***

Cheryl sat on her bean bag chair, giving her friends a dazed smile. “You won't believe how” how handsome he is!”

“What does he do?” asked Darlene, raising an eyebrow.

“He's a medico,” Cheryl replied.

“Ugh,” said Darlene. “Medico guys are either nerds or perverts.”

“No! He isn't either of those! He was nice to talk to. His friends did look like nerds though.”

“Really?” asked Darlene. “Show us a pic, will you?”

“Sure,” said Cheryl. She walked to her table and extracted the newspaper that she had kept on it. She opened the article about the party of the Stevenses. There was a big picture of Chris talking to some of his friends on one side. “Look, this is Chris,” said Cheryl, pointing at him.

Megan, Cheryl's other friend gasped. “Dear God... Is he single?”

”I didn't spot anybody who looked like she could be his girlfriend.”

“But he can't be a single, handsome medico without being perverted or nerdy. That's all too much in one.”

“But he is! And I like him.”

“Then you must really try to get him to like you too.”

“How?!”

“Well... you're pretty, so that's one task less. Now did you say he was walking with you for your Mum's latest?”

“Yeah.”

“Good,” said Darlene, “now we'll get you ready in such a way that he won't get his eyes off you. You've got to remember that a lot of these guys seem to like bombshells at first sight but their real girls are the simple ones. So just do as I say and he'll be yours.”
Chapter Endnotes:


I do feel really sorry for Chris sometimes. Poor guy... :(

And Harry and Ginny are BACK! Weehee!