Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Final Battle by lefty

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Draco and Hermione Malfoy live modestly in downtown London. Both Malfoys work at the Ministry of Magic. Their son, Pax Malfoy, is a Gryffindor at Hogwarts. Pax is well known for his smarts and a persistent stubborn streak.

Ron Weasley eventually married on old school friend after running into her at Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes. Ron and Lavender live a hectic life in the English countryside with their five children.

Dean and Ginny Thomas own a potions supply shop on Diagon Alley. They have three daughters, whom Molly Weasley spoils shamelessly. Percy is the head of Department of Magical Law Enforcement at the Ministry of Magic. All of Molly’s children visit the Burrow often.

Remus Lupin received an Order of Merlin, first class, for services rendered in the War. He became a leading spokesman for werewolf rights. He also speaks on behalf of other half humans, such as mer-people and centaurs. However, Remus has never taken up S.P.E.W, despite Hermione’s encouraging.

Neville Longbottom continues his work in Ireland with his wife. Neville was privately awarded Order of Merlin, second class, for services rendered in the War. He does not talk about his service, and mostly stays a hermit.

Very few Death Eaters escaped Azkaban. Several received the Dementor’s Kiss. The Dementors, after the Dark Lord’s defeat, willing comply with the Ministry’s wishes. Many of the dark creatures Voldemort controlled have faded back into obscurity.
0o0o0o0o0o

Angelina Weasley rubbed her forehead, torn between amusement and exasperation. She put the letter she had been reading in her pocket and walked out of the backroom of Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes. George was behind the
counter, selling an assortment pack of Skiving Snackboxes.

“So what are you going to use these for?” George asked the very young boy. “You look a bit young to be at Hogwarts.”

“Oh, they’re not for me,” the boy replied. “They’re for my brother for Christmas. He’s always complaining about Potions class.”

“I see,” George said, passing the bag over the counter, “Well tell your brother not to give the new headmistress too much trouble. There have been a lot worse than McGonagall. Tell him to ask about Umbridge.”

The boy smiled and nodded, turning to leave. “Alright, thanks.”

George shook his head, laughing slightly. Angelina walked around the counter.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing,” he said, still grinning. “Just thinking about all the trouble Fred and I used to give McGonagall. How I still am, through imps like that.”

“Then I suppose you’ll be pleased to hear what your son is up to at school.”

My son?” George questioned innocently. “What did my son do?”

She gave him a piercing look. “Take a guess.”

“I can’t even begin to imagine. Just tell me.”

“Arthur wrote a love letter to Professor Sprout.”

George bit back a laugh. “What?”

“Oh that’s not even the half of it,” Angelina said. “He sent it through the post, so she got the letter in front of the entire school. Apparently her face went through five different shades of red while reading it.”

“Well, I think I pulled worse in school,” George said, struggling to keep a straight face.

Angelina was not appeased. “That’s hardly a relief as I rather have my heart set on him completing all seven years.”

“Ouch.”

“And that’s not all he did.”

“Oh really?”

“No, he traveled further up the proverbial creek by following her between all his classes, waxing lyrical about her ‘fine looks’ and asking for a kiss.”

At that, George burst out laughing.

“George!”

“What!” he choked out, bent over the counter. “That’s funny! You sure he’s only fourteen?”

“Quite sure,” she responded tersely.

George struggled to stand up straight.

“He’s facing a month of detention and he’s setting a bad example for his brother, who is only eleven and very impressionable.”

George smiled at his wife, trying to lighten her mood. “Oh come on, they’re boys and they’re only young once. Let ‘em have their fun.”

Angelina felt a smile tease her lips, but she restrained. Instead, she shook her finger at George. “This is your fault. If I have two delinquents for sons, I’m blaming you.”

George laughed and grabbed her outstretched arm. He pulled her into his embrace.

“You know you like it.”

Angelina sighed, but smiled slyly.
0o0o0o0o0o

Hermione stared at the neat rows of square polished granite, some with flowers carefully arranged. Graves. The rows ran long and deep. A walkway cut through the center. Hermione stood in the entrance, an ornate arch over her head, connecting the stone angels guarding the cemetery.
The sound of gravel crushing under boots caused Hermione to turn around. A group of people were behind her, among them Draco with their five-year-old son. Pax was holding tight to his father’s hand, looking so adorable in his miniature dress robes. Hermione smiled slightly and walked over to her family.

Ron had come with Lavender Brown, his fiancé. Dean and Ginny were there too with their four-year-old daughter, as were George and Angelina with little Arthur. Several others were there too, but these were the people Hermione saw.
Draco pulled his wife close with his free hand. He didn’t say anything, but Hermione knew what he meant.

“I’m okay,” she said quietly.

“You’re sure?” Draco asked. “I can walk in with you…”

“No, stay here with Pax. Dean’s staying also with his girl. Children shouldn’t have to go in there,” Hermione said. “I won’t be long.”

Draco searched her face once more, but finally nodded.

Silently, the group walked down the path, graves to the left and right. Every now and then, a person would leave the path to visit a loved one’s grave. Molly Weasley stopped at her husband’s final resting place. Lavender left Ron to kneel at Padma Patil’s headstone. As the gathering walked deeper into the graveyard, fewer people continued.

Halfway through the cemetery, only Hermione, Ron, and Ginny were left. Ron walked up first.

“Hey again, mate,” Ron said quietly. Hermione and Ginny knelt down on either side of him. Ginny took her brother’s hand and gave a reassuring squeeze.

Hermione placed some flowers in the stone urn. She didn’t say anything, but the tears in her eyes spoke volumes.

Only the distant rumble of thunder finally moved the three friends. Hermione stood up first, wiping the tears off her cheeks.

“I told Draco I wouldn’t be long,” she muttered. “We all should probably go.”

Ron nodded and stood up. Then, without warning, he grabbed Hermione and wrapped his arms around her strongly. They stood in a tight embrace for a minute before finally pulling away. Then Ron turned and hugged Ginny.

Walking back down the walkway, Hermione slipped her hand into Ginny’s. Ginny smiled comfortingly. She turned back for one more glance at the grave.

“Bye, Harry.”
0o0o0o0o0o

Harry Potter will always be the Boy-Who-Lived, the Chosen One, and the Defeater-of-the-Dark Lord. Deep within a forest where only magical-folk can visit is a graveyard. Only those who died fighting in the War are buried there. In the center is Harry Potter’s grave. Ron and Hermione, along with friends and family, come to the graveyard every year on the anniversary of Last Battle to place flowers and remember. A gold plate on Harry’s grave simply reads:

A National Hero
A Best Friend
We love you and miss you, Harry





A/N: to lukyduky14, hp3190, Moody, Miss Hermione Granger, Auror316, Ermine the One, and anyone else I missed (sorry!)- a million thanks! You guys kept reviewing, pestered me about updating (not that that's a bad thing in the slightest), corrected my typos (again, not a bad thing) and in general gave me warm-fuzzies! Thank you, and watch out for my new stuff, which will be 100% bonified canon! :grin:

...also, the Ron/Lavender thing in this chapter...I just couldn't resist. :humongous grin: And the scenes are not in chronological order, just in case that confused anyone.