Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Final Battle by lefty

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ireland, early next morning

Neville always got up early for his walk. The early dawn was his personal time, before the hustle and bustle of day. Today, Amelia wanted to go into town for shopping. Neville didn’t really like the town- too many people, too much activity. Neville worked best in the quiet, by himself, or with just Amelia. But they had to go in once in a while, for necessitates. And Amelia was a more social creature than he. So he put up with it, for his wife.

To prepare for the hectic town, Neville walked down to the river. He loved to just sit on a large rock, listening to the flow and splash of the water. It was peaceful, and he could forget while the river washed past.

Neville was over and done with his past. He rarely saw any of his old schoolmates, his gran had died some years ago, and he had nothing- nothing- to do with the Order unless absolutely necessary. That had been about three times since graduation. He knew the prophecy, and it sickened him. His wife did not know, and he did not want to tell her. He just wanted to pretend none of it was true. The Order, and those who knew his wishes, respected this.

Which is why Neville was more than a little surprised to see Harry Potter by the riverside, in the wee hours of the Irish dawn.

“Hey Neville.”

Neville stopped and looked about him, as if confused. Then he got his bearings, and walked down next to him.

“Hey, Harry. Long time no see.” Neville said in a polite manner.

“Yea, I know. Your wife said I could find you here.”

“You talked to Amelia?”

“Yea, but not much.”

“Did she… uh, did she-”

“Recognize me?” Harry said with a slight smile. “No, I don’t think so. My face was kinda obscured by some hanging potted plants.”

“Oh.” Neville waited a beat, then said, “So… what brings you to Ireland?”

“You, actually.”

“Oh.” He said again. It was all he could think to say. Then he realized what this must be about. He sighed. “So what is it this time?”

“What?” Harry said, confused. “Oh! No, I’m not here on Order business. Not official business, anyway.”

Neville stayed silent, waiting.

“I umm, I came to say…” Harry paused, staring at the rushing water. The rocks sticking out of the river gleamed. He looked up at Neville. “Its almost over.”

Neville didn’t ask for clarification; he knew exactly what he
meant. Besides, his mouth had suddenly gone dry. “Are you sure?”

“Yea. In fact, it may be over as soon as dinner time tonight.”

“Wow.” Neville was speechless. Could it possibly be true? Too long wizards had lived in fear; it was almost a way of life. And they had thought it was over once already, and look how that turned out.

“Why are you telling me?”

“I thought you had a right to know. Since we could be-”

“Yea,” Neville cut him off.

They stood there a while, staring at the river, each with their
own thoughts. Neville watched, with a sort of detached interest, at a clump of leaves. They were covered in muck, clinging to a rock, despite the strong current. But eventually, the water washed away the filth, cleaning the stone, leaving it smooth and almost luminous. A poet would find in it a simple beauty. Finally Harry turned to Neville, interrupting his thoughts.

“Well, that’s it, really,” Harry said, sounding slightly apologetic. “I need to go. Good-bye.”

“Wait.” Neville said, and Harry looked up. Neville hesitated, then said- “Thanks. I mean it.”

Harry gave another of his slight smiles, and nodded. Crack, and he was gone, leaving Neville alone with new worries, fears… and hope.



Burrow, minutes later

Crack, and there was Harry. Remus, George, and Draco were already there. They were crowded around the table, where Ms. Weasley was supplying breakfast. Harry gave them a look.

“Wha’?” George said around a mouthful of food. “U twy to ‘fen memum off,” he swallowed, “when she’s serving food.”

Harry shook his head, but was cut off by Ms. Weasley pushing a plate under his nose. “Come on dear, eat up.”

“Oh, no thanks, Ms. Weasley.” He said. Harry really wasn’t hungry.

“Nonsense, dear. I don’t know what you’re doing exactly, but I do know a full stomach always helps. Now, do you want two or three eggs?”

Harry sighed, but relented. “Two will be fine.”

“Told you,” George muttered.

But Harry didn’t let time waste. While eating, he made Draco show them maps of where they were going specifically. After all, they couldn’t apparate without precise directions. By the time they were done with the food, they were ready to go. Harry started to say something, but stopped himself. They knew. No need for the rousing final words of a ‘hero’.

“Take care, boys.” Ms. Weasley said, giving George and Harry extra big hugs. She also gave a semi-awkward hug to Draco, who appreciated it even as it was. Then she turned to Remus.

“Watch out for them, okay?” she whispered in his ear as she hugged him.

“Of course.” He said, and smiled. She nodded, sniffling. Molly didn’t want the boys’ last image to be her crying.

“Well, bye.” She said one last time, turning to them all.

“Bye, mum.” George said, then they were gone.


(A/N): I know this is really short, but I'll update quickly. Please recommend this story to others... I haven't gotten many reviews, and it makes me sad. :sniff: But anyways, huge thanks to those who have reviewed, ya'll are the best!