Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Final Battle by lefty

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
New Zealand, short time later:

Harry appeared on the top of a hill. It was dark, a silver strip of moon illuminating the sky. Down below, closer to the earth, the city sent out a web of light, washing out the stars. From his vantage point, Harry could see cars moving on a highway, red lights on the left, white lights on the right. It had the quality of man-made beauty. If Harry was looking, which he wasn’t.

Harry saw only his closer surroundings. It was a secluded area, surrounded by woods. Past the small clearing he was standing in, he could see nothing. The trees were in complete darkness. Harry stood on his guard, knowing anyone could be hiding among the dense forest.

But nothing happened. The sounds of a busy city rushed by below him. Nearby a small insect buzzed. But there were no attacks, no brilliant flashes of a spell streaking towards him. Harry didn’t relax.

Harry walked close to the trees, still expectant. The quiet was un-nerving, worse than if someone was there. A twig crunched under his foot, and he looked down. That was a mistake.

A hooded black figure appeared next to him. Harry couldn’t see the face, but he didn’t have to.

“Hello.” If Harry could see the face, he would have seen a small, evil, smile. The man made a convulsive movement with his hand, causing Harry to fly back ten feet.

Harry landed on his back. Groaning, he stood up. Bent over, clutching his side, he watched the still form. He hadn’t moved, yet at the moment the man had a painful advantage. It was apparent he wanted to talk before the end. But Harry wasn’t in the mood for conversation.

Without a word, Harry flashed his wand. A purple streak shot at Voldemort. Voldemort vanished from his spot, reappearing inches from Harry’s face.

“Not yet, Harry. We must have words.” Such a cold voice. He held up a cloaked sleeve, and Harry was immobilized. He couldn’t even twitch an eye, much less fire a spell.

“I have questions, and I’m sure you do too.”



Grimmauld Place, approximately same time:

The Order members were gathered in the dudgeon kitchen. While anxiously waiting for word from Draco, George, and Remus, Hermione was outlining her plan.

“Harry thinks he has to do this alone, but he doesn’t. Voldemort [pause for flinches] won’t follow the rules of the prophecy, why should Harry?”

“But prophecies are kinda absolute, aren’t they?” Dean Thomas said skeptically. “There’s no going around it for either of them.”

“The prophecy just says one of them will kill the other. It doesn’t say how.” Hermione countered. “For all we know, Death Eaters could tie Harry down while Vold- oh, fine “you-know-who performs the Killing Curse.”

“So we should be there with Harry while he fights you-know-who?” Mundungus Fletcher spoke out.

“Of course,” Ron said. “We can ward off Death Eaters, distract you-know-who, give Harry as many opportunities possible to kill him.”

“Draco, Remus, and George will come here after they find Lucius. They’ll tell us where Harry went to find you-know-who, and we’ll follow. Once there, we’ll do anything possible to help Harry.”

Everyone nodded. It was a simple plan, but what use was there for frills?

“When did they leave to find Malfoy?” Alastor Moody asked.

“About ten minutes ago,” Molly said.

So they waited.



New Zealand:

Harry cautiously opened his eyes. He stared at the world around him, now turned upside down. Literally. He was suspended in mid-air, feet up. The Dark Lord was standing in front of Harry, and appeared to be studying him. Harry couldn’t be quite sure, though. Voldemort still had his hood up, preventing Harry from seeing his face.

The blood was rushing to Harry’s head. His wand had been thrown to the side, and he still couldn’t move. All Voldemort had to do was say the words, and he was dead. Why was he waiting?

Maybe he’s a fan of torture, Harry thought randomly. No, that’s only the muggles, a second voice replied in his head. Harry mentally shook himself. Last thing he needed was to get hysterical.

“So here we are,” Voldemort said suddenly. Harry strained his head to look at his capturer. Voldemort lifted his wand, raising Harry so they were eye-to-eye.

“I think its time you and I had a heart-to-heart.” He began. “After all, its been so long since we last talked. I’ve gathered a few questions for you since then.”

Harry stayed silent, and glared as menacingly as possible. Which wasn’t very, since he was completely at the mercy of Voldemort. Oh, Merlin…

“Oh, don’t sulk now,” Voldemort continued. “I’ve waited long for this moment. To talk to you, to see you… to touch you…”

He raised a thin, pale finger. Running it along Harry’s cheek, Harry suppressed a shudder of horror and pain. Voldemort lifted his finger from Harry’s skin. His hand hovered a moment, then, almost impulsively, went to his hood. He held the cloth a moment before lowering the hood.

He was exactly like Harry had last seen him- and yet so different. Physically, he was the same. The red eyes, flat nose, thin mouth. But the hungry gleam was stronger, a small smirk was more pronounced. And over all, dominating every feature- was madness. Pure, malicious insanity. Harry’s terror peaked with revelation.

Voldemort didn’t seem to notice Harry’s reaction. He was enjoying his moment of dominance. “One question, one burning question I must ask you. Even if you answer nothing else, I must have a reply to this before you die.”

Get used to disappointment, Harry thought.



Grimmauld Place:

Everyone stirred when George, Remus, and Draco apparated into the kitchen. Angelina immediately stepped forward, concern in her wrinkled brow as George sat down, favoring his left foot. The other men sat down too, bloodied and plainly exhausted.

Hermione sat next to her husband. Watching him cautiously, she asked, “How’d it go?”

Draco said nothing, but looked at Remus. Remus took a breath before answering. “We found Lucius.” He began unnecessarily. “He’s in custody now, and gave us precise locations for Voldemort. He’s in New Zealand. Harry’s there now.”

“What condition is Potter in?” Moody asked.

“He’s got a nasty cut on his side; I fixed it best I could.”
Remus responded.

“How long ago did he leave?” Tonks asked.

“About ten, fifteen minutes ago.”

Ron looked around. “So what are we waiting for? Let’s go.”

Every nodded, steeling themselves for anything. Who knew what they were about to walk into?



New Zealand:

Voldemort was talking, with Harry still floating upside-down. As he continued, Death Eaters started to emerge from the shadows, encircling them. By the time he was finished, nearly forty cloaked figures surrounded him.

“We’ve been enemies your entire life. I hated you and wanted you dead before you were ever born. Because of me, your life has been hell.

“I’ve killed your family, your friends. Anything good in your life, I have tainted. You should be a pitiful ball of angst and self-pity. Most people would have given it up long ago. Why haven’t you?”

Harry stared at Voldemort. A memory echoed in his memory... a safe house in Germany...then, he hadn't had a reason. What about now?

In that second of thought, the Order of the Phoenix arrived, right among the Death Eaters.