Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Difficult Choice by FlightofthePhoenix

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Big thank you goes to Lindsey for beta'ing this!
A Difficult Choice

Why can’t I stand up for myself?Peter thought, blushing furiously as they walked away from the group of Slytherins.

Once again, Sirius and James had had to step in and save him from getting his face rearranged by a series of spells and curses. This had been happening his whole life. People who were bigger and more powerful than he was had always had to protect him out of pity.

Since his first day at Hogwarts, James Potter and Sirius Black had been his friends. They had protected him from bullies.

He staggered away from the group of Slytherins. They cheered as Bellatrix Black sent another curse at him, sending him flying. He was lying face down on the cold concrete ground. The ground vibrated underneath him as they grew closer. The shadow on the ground showed them raising their wands.

“Oy, Bellatrix!”

A boy’s voice sounded from in front of Peter. He raised his head slightly to see two boys standing there with their wands out. One had glasses, brown eyes, and messy black hair; the other held a slight resemblance to Bellatrix Black and had grey eyes and black hair.

“What do you want, dear cousin?” Bella sneered, her wand still raised. “In case you didn’t notice, I was about to ah,
dispose of this worm here, and if you don’t mind, I’d like do finish what I started.”

So, he’s her cousin, Peter thought as he struggled to get up. Obviously he’s nothing like her.

He got to his feet but stopped when he felt a wand poking into his back. He didn’t dare turn around to face the crazed girl. He let out strange squeaking noises and Sirius rolled his eyes, whispering something to James who nodded.

“Hey, Bellatrix, is it?” James called, flicking his wand and muttering something under his breath. “Want to see a new spell I learnt?”

Her eyes narrowed and her eyebrows rose slightly.

“And what might that be, Potter?” she snarled, still poking her wand painfully hard into Peter’s back. “A new wand movem-”

She broke off, turned around and bolted down the hall. The others glanced, frightened, at James and Sirius before high tailing out of the hall after Bellatrix.

Sirius grinned and pocketed his wand, as did James. Peter stared at them, confusion on his pale, round face.

“Delayed Bladder charm,” he explained and James laughed.

Peter managed a weak smile as Sirius gestured for him to come over. He held out his hand for Peter to shake. They introduced themselves to him and he squeaked, “Pe-Peter Pettigrew!”

“Come on, join us and Remus in the Common Room,” said James, starting to walk off. “And nice to meet you.


He left James and Sirius at the stairs and made a detour to the bathroom. He had finished his business and was washing his hands when he felt a wand prodding him in the back. This felt familiar.
“Don’t even think about shouting Pettigrew,” the female voice said threateningly and he nodded obediently.

Once again, Peter found himself in a situation where he could have but didn’t stand up for himself. Two people grabbed him suddenly and pulled him from the bathroom, first making sure that the coast was clear.

A few minutes later, he found himself being pushed hard in the back and he fell painfully onto the ground in the Room of Requirement.

He didn’t dare get to his feet, but his eyes surveyed the room carefully. Other people filled the room silently and Bellatrix kept and firm grip on his shoulder as a robed figure threw powder into a fire and the flames exploded into green fire.

“The Riddle House,” a male voice spoke from the corner of the room and a face suddenly appeared in the fire.

A face that everyone in the Wizarding World feared and haunted dreams of many. His skin was stretched so tightly that you could see his bones underneath. He opened his eyes and Peter saw that they were a blood red colour and he cowered under his stare.

“Bella, this is the only recruit you’ve gathered for me,” Voldemort said slowly, casting his over Peter’s quivering form to a straight-backed Bellatrix. “A Gryffindor at that,” he added distastefully.

“Master, he is friends with James Potter,” she said, and Voldemort’s nostril’s flared angrily. “And my cousin, Sirius,” she added in disgust. “Filthy blood traitor he is.”

“Boy,” Voldemort addressed Peter who squeaked in fear and didn’t answer. “BOY!”

“Ye-yes sir?” he stammered, Bellatrix pulling him to his feet. “What is it that you have requested me for?”

He was sweating furiously and couldn’t wait to out of Lord Voldemort’s presence. Why would Voldemort want him? What use could he be to the Dark Lord?

“Would you, boy, betray those you call friends for power beyond power?” he asked.

Betray James, Sirius and Remus? The only real friends he had ever had? The Marauders? How could he do such a thing as that--- betray those who have stuck up for him for years, those who called him Peter Pettigrew, a best friend?

But then again . . . Power. He wanted power so badly. He had always been the weak, pathetic Pettigrew who could never defend himself and had others fight his battles for him. It was a difficult choice.

He didn’t know what to do. Should be sacrifice his only friendship for power? His eyes began to water under the pressure.

“Well?”

He had to answer soon. What would happen if he refused to betray his friends? He didn’t want to think about that. Voldemort would most likely kill him as soon as the words rolled off his tongue.

“WELL?”

Voldemort was growing more impatient as time passed. Seconds ticked passed into minutes and still Peter stood frozen where he stood, his lips mashed together. Voldemort’s eyes flickered briefly to Bellatrix who nodded, taking her wand and pointing it at Peter.

“Silencio!”

“Crucio!”


Pain beyond pain wracked his whole body. This was worse than death. He could take it anymore.
“YES!” he screamed out as Bellatrix ended to curse and gave him back his voice. “Yes, I’ll join you.”

There was no turning back now.




He had done it. He had finally earned his power and glory. He had handed over his friends’ lives. James, Lily and Harry Potter’s lives were soon to be over because of him.

A few moments ago, he handed his Lord a piece of parchment with James Potter’s address on scrawled messily on it. He had truly betrayed his friends.

He had succumbed to the darkness.