Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Labyrinth of the Mind by dumbledorefluertwins

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you to my beta! Reviews would be lovely, even if they're horrible!
I walk down the long stone corridor, alone. There is a plain black door at the end ā€“ I know where it leads. Iā€™ve been here before. Though, the last visit was something Iā€™d rather forget.

The Ministry is deserted. No one dares go out to work now; I was able to come in quickly, and with confrontation.

I get to the end of the corridor, the flames of the torches on the rough walls flickering in my jade green eyes. My hand, a pale spider in the dim light, reaches out for the icy metal handle. I turn it slowly, trying not to be heard by any person who may have braved the perils of war to get to work. The door swings open with a quiet creak. I enter.

Almost immediately, the doors spin so fast that they turn into a blurred mass of dark colors and shadow. I wait until the room stops spinning. Then walk forward towards a door. I know which one to pick; I put a lot of research into it.

I open the door and walk into the Hall of Prophecy. Tall, towering shelves house dark green, glistening balls, but Iā€™m not interested in them. I walk past all the rows, shuddering as I go past row ninety-seven. I keep going until I get right to the end of all the rows, where there is a small door in a dark corner, unnoticed by a fleeting glance. I push the door and stride in, gazing around in awe. Deep green glass balls are piled in pyramids that come up to my waist. They are blank and coated in a thick layer of dust. I pick one up from the top of a pyramid; itā€™s surprisingly light and, unlike those in the hall, cold. I brush the dust of until I can see my reflection. I blink in shock.

Iā€™ve changed. Iā€™m no longer the cheeky young boy I would see in the mirrors at Hogwarts. I seem olderā€¦ my face is dirty ā€“ Iā€™m always on the move and I sleep where ever I can, thereā€™s no time to wash. Stubble is growing badly after not shaving for at least a fortnight, and thereā€™s a nasty cut on my lip. I donā€™t even remember where I got it. Even in the misty green depths of the sphere, I can see that my face is pale; each cut and bruise standing out clearly.

My eyes are the most drastic change, though. They are no longer the sparkling emeralds I was known for. They are deeperā€¦ darker. They donā€™t glint mischievously any more; they give a piercing glare, that sends shivers even down my spine, let alone a passer-byā€¦ not that I see many of them. I generally stay under my invisibility cloak.

I shake my head, I canā€™t linger in one place too long, and this was meant to be an in out job. I close my eyes and focus, knowing that the words are forming on the prophecy and that the memory is embedding itself within the very centre of the glass.

I feel it go warm and I open my eyes. I grin in satisfaction and take the record back into the vast hall. I look for an empty spot on a shelf and find one on row one-hundred-and-two. I place it on the shelf, smile at the words etched on it, then walk away, happy that I have hope.

Harry Potter and Tom Marvolo Riddle
S.T to H.J.P

I leave the Hall of Prophecy, quickly and quietly. Iā€™m back in the spinning room and, once the doors had become still, I move forward to the exit. But the door on the right catches my eye. I think I hear something moving in there, but I canā€™t be sure.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I shuffle cautiously forward and reach out to the handle of the ebony black door. Itā€™s icy, and gives me goose bumps on the back of my neck. My wand raised high; I open the door and step in.

The door slams shut behind me and I turn, frantically pulling on the handle trying to get back out. Nothing works, not even spells.

I canā€™t see anything, its pitch black and freezing ā€“ my hands are numb already. I walk forward and it hit me. That feeling of utter hopelessness and despair. I sink to my knees and know that itā€™s no use. Even with this new Prophecy, Iā€™ll never win. Iā€™ll never beat him. He will always be there, hunting me, chasing me. Iā€™m going to die, the room is telling me. Thereā€™s no where left to run and hide, thereā€™s no one left to protect me. Dumbledore couldnā€™t survive, how is a seventeen-year-old wizard going to manage? Thereā€™s no point.

Vaguely, I think about staying in here, in this room, instead of going out and facing the war again. The room has a strange, horrible feeling to it. I feel so trapped ā€“ itā€™s so tight and enclosed, and Iā€™m sure that itā€™s the room thatā€™s brought on this sudden spout of depression. I desperately want to get out, but something keeps me there. Something stops my legs from responding, stops me from turning my head back towards the closed door. As I struggle internally to rise and get out of the dark room, I feel panic wash over me in a gigantic tsunami like wave. My breathing quickens, I can feel my pulse race, I canā€™t stop shaking, though that could be because of the perishing cold.

I can feel tears well up in my eyes, but I wonā€™t let them fall ā€“ I like to think that Iā€™m stronger than that, even though I know perfectly well that Iā€™m not. I desperately strain my eyes, trying to see anything, any bead of light, but I might as well be wearing a blindfold.

And then, I hear it again. The noise I thought I heard back in the spinning room (It seems so long ago now!). A quiet rustling, like a whisper, or the wind through leaves of a tree. Itā€™s coming from my leftā€¦

ā€œW-whoā€™s there?ā€ I ask to the black emptiness, my teeth chattering. Iā€™m shivering violently now, and my face feels like cold steel. The room is silent for a moment, then I hear it again.

ā€œHell-lo? Whoā€™s t-there?ā€ I can definitely feel fear and panic now ā€“ I should never have come in this room! Why do I always have to meddle!? This was supposed to be an in-out job, not an exploration of the Department of Mysteries!

Thereā€™s still the rustling noise, but itā€™s becoming louder, like itā€™s moving towards meā€¦

ā€œWhoā€™s there?ā€ I cry out frantically, my eyes darting about, even thought I can see nothing. Suddenly, a pale hand reaches out from the darkness and grabs my shoulder.
I yell and fall backwards, still feeling bitter cold hands grabbing me. I scramble up and head for the door, which, miraculously, opens, causing a burst of welcome light to meet my eyes. I hurry out of the room, and turn when Iā€™d get out; making sure nothing is following me. The room is still black. I step forward to shut the door, but it swings closed with a dull thunk.

Iā€™m so eager to get out of the Department of Mysteries, that I donā€™t really pay attention to which door I go through next. I step through it, expecting to find myself in the long stone corridor, only to discover that Iā€™m actuallyā€¦ on the ceiling.

ā€œWhat in Merlins nameā€¦?ā€ I mutter, holding my head, as though worried it will fall off. Whatā€™s weird is that the blood doesnā€™t rush to my head, nor do I fall. Will I fall if I move my feet, though? High above my head is a room, with a similar layout to the Wizengamot Court ā€“ rows of benches, a dock, some scary looking chairsā€¦ and a door. I decide to aim for that one, because Iā€™ve heard that exiting through the door you came doesnā€™t always work in the Department of Mysteriesā€¦

Iā€™m still nervous about moving my feet, though. In my heart, I know that I wonā€™t fall, because I would have done so already, but itā€™s not natural to walk upside down, as my brain keeps screaming at me. Shaking badly, with my eyes screwed shut; I take the plunge and raise my right foot slowly, placing it hesitantly in front of me. I open my eyes. Iā€™m still on the ceiling, only one step closer to the door.

I steadily creep my way across the room, still scared stiff at the thought of falling upwards to the hard benches on the floor. After a while, I find myself at the wall, the next door some ten foot above my head. I chew on my lip, frowning. I look around, and then decide what to do. I place my trainer clad foot on the room border and push myself up, desperately clinging to smooth, white walls. I edge along the wooden border until Iā€™m directly under some benches. Then, I jump, my hands clawing the air, reaching out, trying to grab a bench. I manage it. Iā€™m now doing an awkward handstand over a bench, yet being pulled up towards the ceiling.

I sort ofā€¦ swing, from bench to bench, climbing nearer and nearer to the floor and the next door, like Iā€™m on monkey bars. I finally reach it and stretch my hand out towards the handle. Itā€™s not easy. Iā€™m now holding onto the bench with only one hand, whilst the other desperately fumbles with the iron door handle. I can feel my hand beginning to lose itā€™s grip with the bench, I know full well that if I let go, I will plummet back down to the ceiling, forcing me to go through the entire thing again. Finally, my hand manages to turn the heavy iron handle It emits a high pitched screech, it obviously hasnā€™t been used in a long timeā€¦ that canā€™t be good. Still, Iā€™m not making my way across that room again; Iā€™ll just have to find a different route to the spinning room. The door swings open and I hoist myself into the next room, feeling very satisfied.

The room Iā€™ve just entered is plain. Thereā€™s nothing in it. T has four grey stone walls, and a dusty stone floor. I shut the door behind me, still worrying about the things that were grabbing hold of me.

To my horror, the moment I shut the door, it changes into a rough stone wall. I hear a quiet rumbling sound, but I pay no attention to it ā€“ Iā€™m still desperately trying to find the door. I give up and spin round, hoping thereā€™s another door somewhere else.

All four walls are moving in towards the centre. I feel fear rise from the pit of my stomach as I desperately try and push back against the walls, but theyā€™re still coming.

So, was this how I was meant to die? Crushed between stone? What about the Prophecy? I wasnā€™t meant to die now! Why did the Department of Mysteries even have a room like this?

ā€œTo keep nosy little boys, like you, out of it.ā€ I turn my head so fast I swear I hear it click. Where the door had just been, is a little girl.

She looks about four, with dark blonde hair tied back into a French plait. She is wearing a red dress, and snowy white tights.

ā€œWho are you?ā€ I ask in alarm.

ā€œYouā€™re not doing it right, Harry; you have to find out what the walls want.ā€

ā€œWhat do you mean what the walls want? Theyā€™re walls for- how did you know my-?ā€

ā€œEverything here wants something ā€“ I know what they want!ā€ She adds in a sing-song voice.

ā€œThen why donā€™t you just tell me?ā€ I yell at her hysterically; the walls are only four meters apart now, and still closing in.

ā€œYou have to do it yourself,ā€ she says, smiling happily. She skips away from me back through the wall where the door had been. She just goes straight through it, she didnā€™t do anything. Could it work like the barrier between platforms nine and ten? I run towards it with my eyes clamped shut. Instead of going straight through, however, I just run straight into the wall with a painful thunk. I think I may have broken my nose.

The walls are barely three meters apart now.

ā€œWhat do you want!?ā€ I scream at them frantically. Do they want blood? Is it like the entrance way to that cave Dumbledore and I went to? I lift a hand to my nose, which is bleeding quite badly and wipe some of the blood on my hands. I then smear it on one of the walls, which is still moving towards me.

Thereā€™s a quiet rumbling, and then, they stop. I grin with glee as another door appears, on the opposite side of the room. I quickly heal my nose, and then walk towards it, hoping that this time; it will lead back to the spinning room.

I stride through the door; I think Iā€™m probably getting a bit cocky. The image of the girl still haunts my mind, but I decide to cast it aside and turn to other, more important matters. Like, getting out of here.

In the middle of the room, is a large, squashy leather armchair. It looks so comfortable and invitingā€¦ I chew on my lip nervously. The next door is just ahead, but my feet are aching so badlyā€¦ if the chairā€™s not meant to be sat on, then why is it here? A little nagging voice in my head tells me not to be stupid, the door could disappear when I sit on the chair, like it did in the last room, but I ignore it, stubbornly. I sit on the chair lightly and, when the door remains the same, breathe a sigh of relief as I sink back and close my eyes. It feels so goodā€¦ all panic and fear just seems to leave meā€¦ it is so peacefulā€¦ I could sit here foreverā€¦

Somewhere in the back of my mind I tell myself to get up, and carry on ā€“ I have to get out of here before the Ministry realises some one has broken in. Butā€¦ maybe a couple of minutes longer. I open my eyes and look at my watch, realising with horror that half an hour has passed since I sat down. Surely it canā€™t have been that long! Itā€™s been, what, two minutes? Maybe my watch is broken. My feet donā€™t ache anymore, but I still feel the need to rest for a bit. I canā€™t have been sitting here that long, my watch is definitely fast.

Whatā€™s the rush, anyway? There are hardly any workers aroundā€¦ they wonā€™t realise that Iā€™m here. I grin, lazily, thinking about long-gone memoryā€™s, most involving the Burrow. I glance back at my watch and laugh when I see how broken it is. It says that Iā€™ve been here three hours.

ā€œHarry!ā€ a sing-song voice calls. Itā€™s the little girl again standing right in front of me.

ā€œWho are you?ā€ I ask again, but she doesnā€™t answer me.

ā€œYou going to be here forever unless you move!ā€ she giggles, playing with the hem of her red dress.

ā€œCouple more minutes. Iā€™ll be up soon,ā€ I reply, sleepily. My eyelids are beginning to become heavy, like theyā€™ve got weights tied to them. It would be so nice just to have a small napā€¦ just a little kipā€¦

ā€œNo, silly!ā€ She cries, still laughing, ā€œyouā€™ve been here for hours! Get up, there are Ministry people coming!ā€ This makes my drooping eyelids snap open. If the Ministry finds meā€¦ I have a thousand Galleon price on my headā€¦ plus, the Weasleyā€™s would kill meā€¦ but it is very comfortable in this chairā€¦

I know I have to get up, though. I watch as the little girl skips through the next door, without opening it. I groan heavily. My arms feeling like lead, I push my self out of the chair. The moment Iā€™ve taken two steps away from it, all the fear, panic and adrenaline comes rushing back and I realise that the chair must have been enchanted. I feel very foolish and gullible. I shuffle out of the room, feeling rather guilty.

I go through the door and find myself in the room with the veil. I blink. That must mean the exit is near, mustnā€™t it? But, thereā€™s something weird about itā€¦

Iā€™m not indoors. The sky is a glorious orange sunset, with pale pink clouds floating lazily by. Iā€™m in an eerie sort of amphitheatreā€¦ almost like a gladiator ringā€¦ itā€™s crumbling, and the detail on it has faded ā€“ weathered away. Around the edge are dark shadows, whispering softly. Instinctively, I clutch the leather pouch around my neck; the pouch I know contains a lock of Ginnyā€™s hair. It gives me comfort when I need it most.

The sandy floor is covered in burnt wood and old weaponry. Broken wands lie around as well. I feel my self shivering. One of the shadows steps forward slightly, but remains a shadow.

Donā€™t worry, Harry. The whispering voice is familiarā€¦ Iā€™ve heard it before; a long time ago. Itā€™s a womanā€¦

ā€œHow do I get out?ā€ I ask hesitantly. The voice sounds so friendly, kind and caring, that I canā€™t help but trust it.

Go through the veil, the voice echoes in my head; itā€™s creepy, but oddly comforting at the same time. It will lead you back to the Ministry. Unless you want to stay. Please donā€™tā€¦ itā€™s not your time to come here. Go through the veil. Itā€™s not your time. We know that. We will protect you.

ā€œWhere am I?ā€

Go through, Harry. Go through now.

ā€œI canā€™t ā€“ itā€™ll kill me!ā€

Trust me. Go through ā€“ no harm will come of you. Ignore your fear. Ignore my fear? What the hell did that mean? I walked forward to the veil, and as I did so, a cloaked and hooded man stumbled out from behind it. There was no mistaking those evil red eyes. It was Voldemort. I went deathly pale and drew out my wand, my hand shaking violently. Voldemort advanced, stretching out a long, pale hand. He didnā€™t have a wand, but he was still dangerous. I dropped my wand out of fear, and slipped on a piece of burnt, blackened wood.

Ignore him, Harry! Heā€™s not there! Ignore him? Iā€™d be dead within seconds. I heard a familiar, beautiful song from above and behind me. I whipped my head around to see Fawkes soaring towards me, a scroll clutched in his claws.

Catch it Harry, then run! Run straight through!ā€ Fawkes dropped the scroll, and it fell towards me at an angle. I could see Voldemort reaching towards it as well, but there was an unusual look in his pitiless eyesā€¦ was it fear? Determined, I reached out for it too, still lying on the ground, but stretching out for it nonetheless.

The warm parchment fell into my calloused hand and, without looking back, I raced through the veil.

I burst through the veil and run towards the door, refusing to look back in case Voldemort is after me. In my heart, I know that he wasnā€™t, that the woman was right, it was just my fear. But when adrenaline and panic floods through you like that, you canā€™t help but run. The parchment is still in my hand, and is pleasantly warm, like itā€™s been sitting in the sun for hours. I clutch it tightly, not quite knowing why I think itā€™s so important.

I burst through the door, but itā€™s not the spinning room. I realise that Iā€™m floating above my body. Did Voldemort kill me? Am I a ghost? No, I can see my body down below me. My eyes are shut, and my head hangs onto my chest, limp, but Iā€™m standing. Iā€™m obviously in some sort of out of body experience.

Iā€™m sure that there was a spell for thisā€¦ I learnt it in Charms in fourth yearā€¦ what was it? I frown in confusion and frustration. I feel that I might as well try and get back down to my body, but thereā€™s some sort of barrier in the way. I canā€™t get within two foot of it. Now I really need that spell. I hear a quiet giggling to my left, and there, sure enough, is the little girl, floating along lazily, though thereā€™s no sign of her body.

ā€œOpen your letter, then! Your daddy spent ages writing that when you were little; I watched him!ā€ My mind has gone blank with shockā€¦ could she really meanā€¦? Iā€™m still holding the parchment in my handā€¦ but in my hand thatā€™s attached to the body still on the ground.

I float around the ceiling and explore the walls, my head pounding. If I can just get that spell, I can read a letter from my Dadā€¦

I donā€™t know what Iā€™m looking for ā€“ a clue, maybe? Do blank walls within labyrinths usually tell someone how to get out?

Iā€™m so frustrated now. I want nothing better than to sit and read that letter. Was that where I was in the veil? The land of the dead? Merlin, I hope not.

Isnā€™t heaven meant to be fields and fields of lush green grass, beyond sparkling oceans and pure white shores? Isnā€™t it meant to be the most wonderful and peaceful place, where you can rest? Thatā€™s what your told, when someone dies. That theyā€™ve gone there.

Something clicks in my mind. In the most wonderful feeling of ecstasy, the spell comes to be in a glorious wave of inspiration. I non-verbally cast the charm, and fall to the earth with a slump.

I walk over to my zombie-like body and, rather un-sure, I step into it and open my eyes. My hand shaking, I unroll the parchment. I know immediately that itā€™s my dadā€™s handwriting, even though Iā€™ve never seen it before. Itā€™s exactly like my own.

To my dear son,
Iā€™m writing this while you are asleep in the hospital wing after Voldemortā€™s resurrection. One day, maybe youā€™ll get this letter ā€“ and it wonā€™t be when your dead, it will be in your hour of uttermost need.
Your mother and I can slip between the two worlds, letting us watch over you, constantly. Thereā€™s always one of us at your side, most of the time the two of us.

Itā€™s hard, sometimes; watching you without being able to comfort you, or hold you. But we are so proud of what youā€™ve achieved already, at fourteen, and we know the perils you must face in later life. Know that we are there every step of the way, to guide you, even if you canā€™t hear our voices.

You have an amazing ability to love, and I may sound like Dumbledore ā€“ I know youā€™ve heard all this before, but it was that which saved you on that Halloween night, and it will be that which saves you time and time again.

Most of all, we love you. And we miss you every single second of every single day. Thereā€™s not one moment that passes by without me regretting trusting Pettigrew. There also not one moment that passes with out me feeling amazed at how strong you can be.

Youā€™re still a child, Harry. Donā€™t forget it. Donā€™t make the typical Potter mistake of casting aside the ones you love. We never cast you aside, and we know that, were we still with you, you would never have cast us aside.

Live life to the full. Die old and surrounded by your family in your bed. War is not for children, but I know your part in it. But, donā€™t let it control your life.

Until we meet,
Dad.


My eyes watering uncontrollably, I fold up the parchment and slip it into the leather pouch around my neck. Comforted by the thought that Iā€™m not alone here, I move on towards the next door. I open it, and Iā€™m immediately soaked.

I seem to have stepped into a deep clear pool of water, which stretches to each wall, with no ledge to walk on. Opposite me is the next, plain black door, except this one has a large, silver lock on. Next to the door is a rusty looking keg hanging on a wonky, and equally rusty, nail. I look down through the water. About six foot underneath me is another key, lying innocently on the pale, submerged, cobblestones. There are none on the other walls, but as I look up towards the ceiling, I see another key hanging on a thin rope. Itā€™s about ten foot above me. I know immediately that itā€™s going to be that one.

I take out my wand from my back pocket (Moody would kill me if he was here) and try to summon it. Nothing happens. I try levitating it of the hook it hangs on, but thatā€™s a no go as well.

ā€œAccio!ā€ Again nothing happens. I let out a growl of frustration ā€“ how on earth am I meant to get it? I fruitlessly search the walls and the pool floor for any sign of a lift, ladder stairs or even a pulley of some sort, but it just seems to be a plain roomā€¦ filled with water. Iā€™m not a strong swimmer. I wonā€™t last long treading water. Soon Iā€™ll get tired and thenā€¦

ā€œOh, come on!ā€ I yell at no one in particular ā€“ maybe at the room? Or at the Department? Probably at myself. ā€œIā€™ve made it this far, whatā€™s the point in letting me get stuck here?! Give me the ruddy key!ā€ I think this was what the room was waiting for. The rope seems to unravel slightly, so that the key is only hanging by a thread. It swings slowly, the remaining thread twisting around.

ā€œPlease?ā€ I try. That does it. The key plummets from the ceiling and lands in the clear water with a plop. I dive down quickly and catch it before it hits the bottom. I swim to the door and stand on the tiny ledge, just big enough for one person to stand on, to unlock the door. It swings open, and I move forward to the next room, rather pleased with myself.
I shuffle into the next room, still soaked through. I canā€™t be bothered to cast a drying spell though; I just want to get out of here.

I seem to be in a stone enclosure of some sort. Thereā€™s something silvery chained in front of the next door. I realise that itā€™s my Patronus, a large, proud stag. Only, it looks more aggressive than it usually is. Itā€™s pounding its hooves and snorting viciously. The stag bows its head and waves itā€™s antlers at me, stabbing and slicing the air before it.

I shift my weight from one foot to the other, chewing my lip, trying to think how Iā€™m meant to get past it without being gored by its antlers. As I do, my foot nudges something heavy and cold which clinks quietly. I glance down, and see another chain.

ā€œSo,ā€ I say to myself, ā€œIā€™ve got to duel it, so that it becomes attached to this chain, instead of that one?ā€ Rather pleased at how quickly I figured it out, I step forward and, with a quick blasting spell, I release the stag from the chain. It charges right at me, its hooves clattering against the hard stone, its piercing eyes flashing with anger.

I jump to the side and shoot a stunner at it. But the stream of red life simply passes through and the stag turns sharply towards me again.

This continues for quite some time; I try nearly every spell I can think of, but none make a difference.

Then, it comes to me. Fight fire with fire, isnā€™t that the saying? I smile and raise my wand.

ā€œExpecto Patronum!ā€ Another stag bursts from my wand tip and springs immediately into action, locking antlers with the attacking stag. I seize the moment and grab the trailing chain of the original stag. I hold it together with the chain by the door I fist came through, and cast reparo over it. The two chains join together, and Iā€™m able to go through the next door.
I step forward into the next room. The next door is opposite ā€“ I must be near the end now!

A ghostly music begins to play. I wrinkle my nose in distaste; it sounds like an old, classical sort of piece. I feel my feet begin to move. I look down and, with horror, I realise that Iā€™m no longer wearing my dark black trainers (after the nose-stamping incident, I donā€™t really like bright colors. I prefer to slink in and out of the shadows), but some shiny black dancing shoes. My feet move of their own accord, I seem to be waltzing across the room.

I can dance in a normal situation, but I feel especially stupid now. Iā€™m flopping about from side to side, trying to keep my balance, whilst trying to keep control of my legs. Itā€™s not working.

I can feel a blush creeping up my neck onto my cheeks, even though no oneā€™s there to see me. Right? Wrong. I hear a high-pitched giggle from my left. I turn my head, still trying to control my feet, and see the young ghostly girl practically rolling about on the floor, clutching her stomach. Iā€™m sure itā€™s not that funny.

ā€œYou look so funny!ā€ she howls, glee written all over her face.

ā€œHa ha,ā€ I say sarcastically, getting very irritated now, ā€œjust tell me how to stop it!ā€ She rolls her electric blue eyes, as if itā€™s the most obvious thing in the world.

ā€œJust take off the shoes, silly!ā€ I feel my face burn as I take off the shoes, with some difficulty and step out of them. They continue to waltz across the room, and Iā€™m left standing here feeling incredibly stupid, back in my dark trainers.

I walk into the next room. The tall walls are dark and shimmer, like mirrors. I frown, and step towards one to investigate. In it, I see my family, just like I did in the mirror of Erised. I see my parents and loads of people I donā€™t know, but are obviously grandparents and such, and also old, dead friends. Sirius is there, and Dumbledore. And many old classmates.

Theyā€™re all smiling at me, joyously. They run forward, straight through the glass and embrace me in many hugs and kisses and claps on the back.

ā€œHarry!ā€

ā€œItā€™s good to see you mate!ā€

ā€œWeā€™ve missed you so much!ā€

I can feel tears rolling down my cheeks, but I canā€™t help grinning. Theyā€™re here; theyā€™re really here! I see Sirius eagerly approach me.

ā€œAlright, mate? Howā€™s everyone?ā€ Before I can answer, I can feel my mumā€™s hand on my shoulder.

ā€œOh, baby, Iā€™ve missed you! Youā€™ve no idea!ā€ I feel so overwhelmed, and strangely numb. This scene passes for a good few minutes, before I notice something odd. I canā€™t hold up a conversation with any of them. Once Iā€™ve said a couple of sentences, another loved one interrupts. None of them seem quite right, either. Theyā€™re personalities and looks are the same as I always remember, but thereā€™s somethingā€¦ off. Thereā€™s no depth to their charactersā€¦

ā€œI haveā€¦ I have to go.ā€ It tears me up to say it, but itā€™s true ā€“ if I donā€™t go now, someone could realise that Iā€™m here.

ā€œOh, no, son, stay a bit longer,ā€ says my Dad, grinning broadly. I so desperately want to stay, but I really do have to goā€¦ soon. I can stay a bit longer, thoughā€¦

ā€œI donā€™t knowā€¦ Iā€™m in a lot of danger hereā€¦ā€ I say. Dean Thomas, who died only a couple of weeks ago, laughs.

ā€œDonā€™t be thick, mate!ā€

ā€œCome on, Harry, stay a bit longer.ā€ I blink at Dumbledoreā€™s words. Heā€™d never say that. Suddenly, it dawns on me, and everything makes perfect sense.

ā€œDad,ā€ I say, my voice breaking slightly, ā€œthank you for that letter.ā€ He makes no acknowledgement of what Iā€™ve said, but starts gushing about how much heā€™s missed me. My thoughts have just been verified. Theyā€™re not real. Dumbledore would never allow me to be in danger, and my Dad would have said something about the letter. Theyā€™re just dreams, memories, wishes.

ā€œIā€™m sorryā€¦ I have to go,ā€ I mutter reluctantly, tears cascading down my cheeks, blurring my vision.

ā€œHarry! You canā€™t leave us again!ā€

ā€œYou canā€™t just forget about us!ā€ Looking down at the floor, my hands shaking, my heart feeling like its being ripped in two, I walk away from them all.

I enter the next room, wiping the salty droplets from my eyes. Itā€™s bare except for three doors, including the one I just came through. Between the other two doors, thereā€™s the small, ghostly girl thatā€™s been following me around.

ā€œThis is the last room,ā€ she says. Sheā€™s not smiling.

ā€œWhich way is the way out?ā€ I ask, huskily, my throat still raw from crying.

ā€œYou need to think about why youā€™re here first.ā€ I look at her in confusion.

ā€œIā€™m here because I stupidly went to explore another room.ā€ She shakes her head.

ā€œNo youā€™re not. Youā€™re here because I called you.ā€ I frown.

ā€œWho are you?ā€ She smiles, but itā€™s a sad smile.

ā€œIā€™m what could have been, if Peter hadnā€™t told Voldemort.ā€

ā€œWhat?ā€ Iā€™m really confused now, my head hurts. She giggles. It echoes eerily around the room.

ā€œMummy always wanted a big family! But thatā€™s not important. This was a test. This isnā€™t really the Department of Mysteries; itā€™s all been in your head. In fact, this entire journey has only taken you ten seconds.ā€ The little girl seems to be growing up, she looks about ten now.

ā€œHow dā€™you mean? Why? What the hell is going on?ā€ I ask frantically; this is seriously creeping me out.

ā€œThat Prophecy you just recorded said that youā€™d only be able to defeat him ā€˜once there is no doubt upon the strength of your mind and spiritā€™ , so thatā€™s what we done, we made sure that there was no doubt in your mind.ā€ She looks nearly fourteen now, and everything is beginning to make sense. ā€œIf you still have doubt, go through the door on my left. But I wonā€™t be able to help you anymore. If you have confidence in yourself, then you can leave through the door on my right. But hurry, I donā€™t have much time left. Once Iā€™m adult, youā€™ll be trapped.ā€

I guess Iā€™d better hurry ā€“ she looks sixteen. I think Iā€™m ready. I think I can go on. Now that I know that my loved ones are right behind me. I nod, and move towards the door on the right. The girl smiles. I open the door.

Through it, thereā€™s a black abyss, and a strong wind seems to be trying to pull me through the door, howling violently around my ears.

ā€œI canā€™t walk through that!ā€ I roar above the unnatural gale. The girl laughs, her voice soft, yet loud, as if itā€™s simply been magnified.

ā€œYouā€™ll have to jump ā€“ youā€™ve got a strong enough mind, havenā€™t you? Go on, big brother, jump!ā€ Before I even register what sheā€™s said, I feel her icy hand on my back, pushing me into the howling black.

My eyes snap open. Iā€™m standing in the room with the spinning doors. Iā€™m panting heavily. I glance at my watch. The second hand has only moved ten seconds. I clutch at the leather pouch around my neck, and hear the crinkle of parchment.

ā€œSo, it wasnā€™t a dream,ā€ I say to myself. Iā€™m shaking, and I know that Iā€™m deathly pale. I let out a long, slow exhalation of air. Then grin, and stride through the exit, back to the world above.