Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ancient Magic: The Final Confrontation by Starmom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The aftermath and the Very End.
Part 6 “ Phoenix Song


Silence suddenly descended upon the battle-strewn plain. The moment before the air had been filled with shrieks, screams and terror, and now ” sudden quiet. Without a word, they knew it was over. The warriors lifted their eyes to find the dawn rising over the tallest of the ancient standing stones. On the edges of the field, the remnants of their enemy were fleeing and then, a clarion call slowly filled the silence, and their hearts leapt. It was the cry of the phoenix. Its plaintive song filled their hearts with a confusing mix of hope, happiness, and sorrow.

They saw the bird at the same time, blazing like the fire it came from, as bright as the rising sun. It was Fawkes. His beckoning call rang out as he flew in graceful circles above a green and black plume of smoke that wafted towards the lightening clouds at the farthest edge of the battlefield.

Slowly, but with a single purpose, the battle-worn began to move, heeding Fawkes’ call. Those who were injured were assisted by their comrades, but all who were still alive moved inexorably towards the site they instinctively knew was the place of the final and fatal confrontation.

***


Ron and Hermione had pulled both Ginny and Harry out of the smoke-filled circle and now Ginny sat, in the dew-filled grass, holding Harry gently in her arms, her body shaking as silent tears streamed down her blood-stained face.

“He died to save me,” she whispered to no one, although Hermione and Ron heard. “It’s my fault. He’d still be alive if….”

“Ginny.” Hermione bent down and held Ginny’s hand gently, struggling through her own terrible feelings of shock and grief. “I think Harry knew, somehow, that it had to end this way. Everything ” every moment led towards it. He always said he’d have to do it alone. It was”,” Hermione’s voice shook, then broke. “It was ” I truly believe this Ginny ” the only way.”

Hermione collapsed in a heap of tears and exhaustion. Ron reached out and enfolded her in his arms.

“Ginny,” Ron started hesitantly as he stroked Hermione’s hair, “please don’t blame yourself for this… Harry would never want you to live the rest of your life hating yourself.” His own tears flowed without restraint as he held onto Hermione tightly. “It was his love for you that saved you ” saved all of us ” and killed....” He paused and both Ron and Hermione glanced to the fire still burning, where the smouldering remains of their enemy rose in the dark, foul smoke into the sky.

“It ended as it began.” This voice belonged to Luna, who moved towards them with Neville limping alongside her, his arm using her shoulder for support. Neville wept openly as he saw Ginny rocking Harry’s body. Luna held on to him tightly, clearly much stronger than her light frame would indicate. “Voldemort wasn’t really that bright was he?” Luna remarked in her usual calm and understated manner. “You think he’d have learned his lesson the first time, wouldn’t you?”

Then, appearing from out of the ash-filled circle of stones was Malfoy. They all watched as he approached, his blond hair darkened by the smoke, and covered in blood and dirt. He stopped short of reaching them, looking uncertain and alone. Hermione looked at Ron for a moment and he gave her a slight nod of approval. She stood and steadied herself, and then all eyes followed her as she walked over to Malfoy and took his hands in hers.

“Draco,” Hermione said, reaching out to touch his battered forehead, “are you all right?”

Malfoy flinched at her touch. His eyes, shielded with caution and uncertainty, darted over towards Harry and Ginny. “Is he dead?” he asked huskily, ignoring her question.

Hermione couldn’t say it, but she nodded.

Malfoy coughed hard and wiped his blackened face with the back of his hand. His voice was raspy and laboured. “This is my fault. I should have stopped her.”

“You were the one who ran in after her! You didn’t have to do that, but you did!”

“But I failed, didn’t I?” Malfoy said with bitter sarcasm. “I’ve failed all of you, just as I failed my family... just as I always have.”

Hermione wasn’t having any of this. She grabbed him by the shoulders and forced him to look at her. “Listen to me Draco Malfoy,” she said forcefully through choking sob. “Voldemort is dead. Harry killed him, but he was only able to do it because of everything you did to make it possible. You helped to set us all free. Do you understand me?!”

“B-but Harry....” stuttered Malfoy, taken aback by the sudden outburst of Hermione’s anger. He found it hard to look at her, to witness her grief, but Hermione refused to let him go.

“Harry was proud of you, Draco,” she said, more gently this time, wiping the tears from her face with the back of her hand. “You made all the difference. And, most importantly, it was YOU that broke Slytherin’s curse by helping us to unite, at last.” Hermione embraced Malfoy and held him tightly. Slowly, his arms went around her as well, and then, adding his sobs to hers, released the fears and doubts that had held him fast for so long.

After several moments, they parted, Malfoy smiling a bit sheepishly through his tears. Holding his hand, Hermione led them over to the others. Susan was the first to embrace him and then, each of them in turn, acknowledged and welcomed Draco Malfoy.

Wearily, almost trancelike, Hermione returned to Ron who was sitting by Ginny’s side. He looked like a small boy, not unlike the one she had once met long ago on a train. Seeing her, Ron rose and held out his hands. She flung her arms around his neck and they held each other tightly. They stood that way for several minutes, weeping silently, until Hermione spoke.

“What will we do, Ron? How will we bear it?”

Ron caressed her hair and kissed her gently on the forehead.

“We’ll live,” he replied softly. “We’ll live and love each other.”

***

The small group of students heard Fawkes’ song before they saw him, circling overhead. His song echoed their grief, just as it had done once before. It soothed them as they surrounded Ginny and Harry, leaning into each other, needing to touch and be touched.

It was Neville who first saw the battle-weary army approach. Molly reached them first, pushing the others aside and, reaching Ginny, wrapped her daughter in a tight embrace. Slowly, other circles formed around Harry and Ginny and their friends. First were the gathered remnants of the Order of the Phoenix ” Arthur, Charlie, Fred, and George. Then McGonagall, Tonks, Moody, Aberforth, Hagrid, and Kingsley. Behind them were their classmates, teachers, and house-elves. In the outer circle were the Aurors, Scrimgeour, and others from the Ministry’s army.

They stood as one, circle behind circle, silent, watching Harry being rocked by Ginny and listening to the sound of the Phoenix song. The song was a prayer for them all. It spoke of peace and renewal. It touched them all and gave them hope. Then, finally, the song ended. They all looked up to watch Fawkes vanish, for the last time, into flames.

From the midst of the circles came the large figure of Hagrid, who bent over Ginny, his own giant tears creating puddles in the grass. “Let me take him up for yer,” he said gently, his deep voice wavering. “I’ll take him back to Hogwarts. It was the only real home he knew.” He reached out to lift Harry, but Ginny stopped him.

“No, not yet! It’s ” it’s not done,” Ginny stammered. Hagrid stepped back, respectful but clearly concerned.

Ron and Hermione could hardly bear to watch Ginny struggle to let Harry go, but Hermione finally asked, “What do you mean it’s not ‘done,’ Ginny?”

Without answering, Ginny bent over and kissed Harry’s forehead. They all watched, hardly able to breathe. Then, gently cupping his face with both hands, she brushed his lips with her own. Finally, she lifted her head and took in the many people she loved who surrounded her. Something vibrant seemed to radiate from within her and, remarkably, Ginny smiled.

“It’s gone,” she said.

Hermione and Ron knelt down beside her and each took one of Harry’s hands. “What’s gone?” asked Ron in a whisper.

Ginny gently brushed aside the hair from Harry’s forehead. His face looked peaceful and whole.

“It's gone," she repeated softly. “His scar.”


*** Finite Incantatem ***



For my readers who are bereft at my vision of Harry's fate, I can only say this is what I envisioned at the time I wrote this a year ago. I have to say that I do not NOW think JKR will let this be Harry's end. In any case, thanks for reading and I am especially grateful for all of you who took the time to leave a comment!!