Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Catching a Flower by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: And, these, my good readers, are authors’ notes. We really don’t have anything to say except thanks to all who reviewed, and enjoy.

Chapter Seven- Changing Strategies

One of the best perks of being a Marauder, was that being a Marauder meant knowing every secret passageway one could take. James was taking an alternate route to the common room to avoid a run-in with Lily.

"Potter, you're a bastard. Emmeline and Marlene seem to think you've changed, but I can see right through your act. You're nothing but an arrogant, pig-headed jerk. I can't stand you. You're just going to have to deal with that, because that's how it's always going to be. All you have is a silly infatuation for me, anyway. You don't like me. You lust after me. So just- just stop, alright? It doesn't work."

The words rang in his head, clear as bells. Ringing, ringing, ringing.

"James, just please, for me, let this one thing go. If you really care about me, you'll leave me alone. I can't stand this anymore. Let me have my seventh year in peace, okay? Let me be, for once. I‘m tired of your games."

James shut his eyes.

"Leave me alone after this."

James let out a strangled cry. "I'm such an ass," he burst out, frustrated. Every time I'm around her, I just can't help it. I can't help it. She's so beautiful. It's no wonder she hates me. Merlin, I just keep getting stupider, don't I? Is stupider even a word? Potter, you're slipping.

She’s going to hate you forever. She said so herself. Why don’t you just go apologize for making her feel like shit? It’s the least you could do…

James took a deep breath. He didn’t often apologize, and he wasn’t sure that he was any good at apologies. He decided to double-back so that he wouldn’t have to apologize to her in front of the common room. She’d hate that.

Taking every short cut he knew of, James took the route back to the potions classroom at a slow run. When he entered the hallway leading to it, he saw a scene that made his blood boil.

Lily was surrounded by Slytherins, doing her best to keep fear from her face. "Stupefy!" James yelled. Regulus fell, unconscious.

In the confusion that followed, Lily was able to pull out her wand. Thank goodness James is here, she thought. Then her face scrunched up in fury. What is he doing here? I told him to leave me alone! I don't need saving all the time!

"Well, isn't this nice?" Bellatrix crooned. “The Gryffindor prince come to save the fair maiden. How sweet."

Lily glared, but said nothing.

"If Slytherins played fair, she wouldn't need saving," James spat. "Instead it's three against a cornered one."

"If she wasn't a Mudblood, we'd play fair," Rodolphus said, advancing on James. "She doesn't deserve fairness."

Look at Potter, come on. Just look at him... there! "Stupefy!" Lily roared, her wand aimed at Bellatrix. She had waited for the girl to be distracted before making her move. She didn't feel up to an all out duel. She was strained emotionally after her argument with James, and all she wanted to do was take a nice nap. Damn Bellatrix and her impeccable timing.

Rodolphus looked at Bellatrix, who was slumped in a crumpled heap on the floor. "Why you miserable little-" he started, rounding on Lily.

"Silencio!" Lily silenced the Slytherin.

"Stupefy!" James said as Roldophus raised his wand. He, too, slumped to the floor. Lily shoved him aside with her shoe and began to walk away as if doing nothing but going from a potions session to a dormitory.

"Lily!" James called, taking longer strides to catch up to her. "Lily, wait, I wanted to apologize!"

Lily turned round so quickly that she almost ran into James, who was not far behind her. She took a step back. "Look," she said glaring, "I don't want an apology. I just want you to go away! Is that so hard? Is it really too bloody hard for you? Get it through your thick head, Potter, I don't like you!"

James' head pounded. He'd just saved her bloody life! His ears were turning red with growing frustration. "You know what, Lily? Fine. Fine! I don't even know why I bother. All you ever do is rip my heart to shreds. Merlin, is anything I ever do good enough for you? I try to be someone you'd like, I act like a friend, I stop asking you out, you yell at me like I'm your worst enemy, and I still save you! And this is how you thank me?"

"You're so stubborn! I can't take loving you anymore! I just can't!"

Loving? Lily thought incredulously. "Didn't you listen to me at all, earlier, James? You don't love me! You lust me! God only knows why, but you do!"

"Because you're you, Lily! Because you're you! Because you love your friends, and you love your family! Because you work so hard to maintain your perfect grades! Because you stick up for everything you believe in! Because you don't let the Slytherin bastards get to you! Because it's not just lust! With what you've been saying, I've begun wondering if you're afraid to have someone fall in love with you! But you know what? It's too late. I'm in love with you, Lily," he said, his voice dropping in volume. "I'm in love with you. And it hurts."

James' shoulders drooped. "I've had enough. Bye, Lily." He turned around and walked up to Gryffindor common room.

Lily stood frozen, her mouth hanging open in shock.


It was five minutes later before Lily remembered that she was still standing in the hallway. It came as a shock to her when Peeves, who had been right in front of her, though she hadn't noticed, dumped a bottle of ink down her front. She scorgified it and shook her head, walking up to the Gryffindor tower, still in a daze.

When Lily reached her dormitory, she told her friends that she wasn't up for talking, and that she just wanted to sleep. She closed the curtains around her four-poster.

What's wrong with me? She wondered. One minute I'm feeling bad for ranting at Potter, next minute I'm completely angry at him for saving my life. Why? It doesn't make sense! How does he do that to me? How is it that he makes me feel that I've done something wrong, when all I've done is spoken my mind?

I didn't think he loved me... Does he, though? Or is he making it up? Is he trying to get me to feel bad? Or do I really make him hurt? Do I really break his heart every time I turn him down?

Lily groaned. It was just too much to think on. Why can't he be like a normal guy and just ignore me?

Lily turned onto her side and curled up. It was quite some time before sleep took her.

-----

James stepped into his dormitory. He'd ignored his friends, who were in the common room, when they asked him why he was upset. Thankfully, none had followed. James suspected it was Remus or Sirius who picked up on the fact that he didn't want to talk to anyone.

He sighed. His head hurt. His heart hurt. His thoughts spun. Why does she always do this to me? Can't she see the way I feel? Is she even worth all of the pain that she puts me through?

James sat up. Maybe this is it... Maybe she isn't worth it. I can't spend my whole life waiting for her...

It was then that Sirius walked in. So much for knowing I didn't want to talk, James thought.

"Hey, Prongs. You okay?" Sirius asked.

James nodded. "Yes, I think. I think I'm going to give up on Lily."

Sirius blinked. "What?"

"I'm giving up on Lily," James repeated.

"Why?" Sirius asked. "What's wrong with you?"

James scowled. "I would think that you of all people would be happy, Sirius."

"But you love her," Sirius said.

"She doesn't love me."

Sirius blinked again. He didn’t deny it. He loves Lily Evans. "Why are you giving up?"

"She doesn't love me," James repeated.

"She never has," Sirius pointed out.

James glared at Sirius again. "And she never will! I've been trying for years, Padfoot! Years!"

"Well, you yourself said it wouldn't be easy," Sirius said, trying to dissuade James from this decision. Sure, Sirius didn't like that James seemed to always care about what Lily thought over what Sirius thought, but Sirius had accepted that that was the way it would have to be when he accepted the fact that James loved her.

"Sirius, it's impossible. It's about time I realized it."

"Why are you giving up?" Sirius asked again.

"Why do you care? It shouldn't matter to you. Why aren't you happy that I'm going to stop fawning over her?" James asked, angrily.

"Because, James, you love Lily. People aren't supposed to give up on love."

"It doesn't matter that I love her! The fact remains- she doesn’t love me. She never will, Padfoot. Never! Why shouldn't I try to move on?"

"It won't work."

"What do you know about it, Sirius? You've never had a serious relationship. You've never loved someone that hates you. It hurts like hell, and I can't take it anymore!"

"What the hell happened to you, James?" Sirius asked incredulously.

"I gained a brain, that's what."

"Gained a brain? Hah. I think you just lost a heart."

"Shut up, Sirius! Just shut up! I know I'm making the right decision! I need to just let go!"

"Easier said than done."

James took a quick intake of breath. "Go away, Sirius. Leave me be, for now."

"I can't leave you be! I can't! You're my best mate! I'm not going to leave you to make the worst decision of your life!"

"It's the best decision. It's the only thing I can do. And you'll see that it was right soon enough. You'll see."

Sirius sighed and looked at James with mixed emotions of sadness and frustration. "No, James, you'll see how right you weren't." He shook his head sadly. "You're only breaking your own heart even more."

"Then let it break! Sometimes the worst things aren't really the worst! It's better off this way! Just leave!"

"I will not leave!" Sirius roared. "You're being completely stupid! You're hurt, that's all! This isn't how you really feel! You're going to regret it! Every time you see her you're going to hurt because you'll know it can't be any more. Every time! Don't let this go, James!"

James stood up. "It's the only way that makes sense," he said, leaving Sirius standing in the dormitory by himself.

"Damn it!" Sirius cursed, kicking a nearby wall. He let out a slight yell of pain. "Damn it!"

----------

Days passed. Lily watched James, confused. Why does it bother me so much now that he's finally listened to me.

Because he's depressed. And it's your fault. You're such a heartless, cruel person sometimes.

But... but he can't love me.

Why not?

Because he's him. He's James. James Potter. James Potter does not love. He lusts.

Does he?

Yes… Right?

Lily slammed her hands down onto the bed she was sitting on in frustration. "I don't know!" she said aloud.

"Don't know what?" Emmeline, who was nearby with Marlene, asked.

"Nothing," Lily mumbled.

"Lily... you haven't been the same since your last potions session with James. Are you going to tell us what happened that night?" Marlene asked.

Lily sighed. "James and I had a row."

Emmeline furrowed her brow. "You two row a lot," she pointed out.

"It was different this time," Lily said. She looked down and began to fiddle with the corner of her bedspread.


"How so?" Marlene asked gently.

"I told him to leave me alone, and he... something in him snapped. He just... he told me that he loved me. He told me that it hurts to love me. And that he's had enough. And he left. And he's not been the same. I think he and Sirius rowed, too."

Emmeline blinked. "He told you he loved you?"

Lily nodded, not looking up. "And it was after I yelled at him for saving my life."

"Merlin," Emmeline breathed. "Why'd you do that?"


"I don't know!" Lily cried, before breaking down in tears. Emmeline and Marlene moved over to her bed to try and comfort her. "I thought I wanted him to hate me. I thought it would be best for both of us. I didn't think he loved me. But now, now I think he does because he's so upset. I'm so heartless... God, what have I done?"

Marlene hugged Lily. "You're not heartless," she said. "You're just confused. That's all. He's been changing and you don't know what to think. And this was just the easiest way you knew how to deal with it- to make it go away so you wouldn't have to."

Emmeline had a look of sadness and sympathy on her face as she watched Lily. "Lil, you're the best person I've ever met. It'll be alright. You watch."

"I've screwed everything up. I've ruined his year and I didn't even try to be friends with him. I didn't even try! I don't know what to do…"

"Try," Marlene said. "Everyone makes mistakes. Try to be his friend. Try to make things better for him and for yourself."

"But, but won't it just hurt him to be around me? It's like dangling turkey in front of a hungry dog."

"Lily Evans you are not a turkey!" Emmeline scolded. "Besides, maybe he only thinks he loves you. If you become friends with him, then he'll see it's just lust. And he'll see that being your friend is all he really needs."

"He'll be happier for it, Lily. He'll be happier without you hating him, don't you think?"

Lily sniffled. "I don't know..."

"Give it a try," Marlene said, "and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work."

"I feel like I'm playing with his heart. What if we becomes friends and he wants more? What if he really does love me?"

"Even that is better than both of you being miserable. At least this way you'll both have that ounce of happiness. James for you two having made up, and you for James not being miserable."

“Well, I, er…” Come on, Lily. Just do it. Selfish as this is, it was even more selfish of you to assume that he didn’t know what love was. At least this way you won’t be killing his heart completely. You may even be able to tape it back up this way. And maybe Emmeline’s right. Maybe James will find out he doesn’t love me. “Alright, I’ll do it,” Lily said. “I just hope it turns out alright.”“It will,” Marlene reassured her. Operation: Flower for Prongs is back in business, she thought.

Authors’ Notes: And so ends chapter seven. I’m guessing you’re all glad that this chapter has no cliffhanger? Well, anyway, we want to know what you thought, so please review!