Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love's Boundaries by tc015

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to Kumy for looking this over.
Tonks could remember how she met Remus. The pair had dated for a few months before breaking up over Order business. When they got back together last June, their relationship seemed to blossom more than it had before. He proposed to her in August at the wedding of one of their fellow Order members, Bill Weasley. Everything was perfect. Only thing was left to do; show Remus to her mother.

When Tonks brought him to dinner with her parents one night, they appeared to be their normal selves. Her mother fussed over her hair as usual, saying that she should stop morphing it pink. “Grow up,” she always said. Her dad made stupid jokes, and Remus laughed at all of them, even the corniest ones. It wasn’t until after dinner that Tonks learned what they really thought of him.

Her mother had taken her over to a corner to supposedly show her a broomstick model. Tonks knew something fishy was going -- her mother didn’t even like Quidditch.

“Nymphadora,” whispered her mother, “I don’t like that Lupin guy.”

“Why?” Tonks replied indignantly. “He’s a good man. He’s smart, kind, and noble.”

“He’s also ten years older than you.”

“So?”

“So,” said her mother exasperatedly, “he’s probably trying to scam you. He can’t get any other woman, so he goes for an innocent little girl like you. Remember his problem?”

“His problem?” said Tonks, her voice rising. “He’s a werewolf, so what? It doesn’t make him different than any other person.”

“He just wants you for sex and money,” spat her mother. “He was friends with Sirius, which I don’t understand. Sirius would never become friends with a“”

“Don’t you bring Sirius into this!” yelled Tonks. “He didn’t mind me going out with his best mate. He said that Remus was a good guy, and we were good for each other. You know absolutely nothing.”’

“I know absolutely nothing?” her mother yelled. “I know for a fact that age differences that large never work out. I was going to be engaged to a man fifteen years my senior, and he was a pig.”

“Remus isn’t like that,” Tonks replied. “Just because Rookwood was a horrible man, doesn’t mean Remus is. He cares about me. He loves me.”

“He’s probably acting. He’s almost as old as I am, so he’s probably had enough experience with that kind of behavior.”

“I love him, Mum. “Doesn’t that matter? I’m happy.”

“How can you be happy with him?”

“I love him, and he loves me.”

“Fine,” said her mother, “then you don’t have my permission. I forbid you to marry him.”

“I am not a child,” yelled Tonks. “I can marry whoever I want. I don’t my mummy’s permission. Anyway, you didn’t go to your mother for permission to marry Dad. You left your family to be him.”

“This is not the same. Your dad was the one,” she replied.

“So is Remus.”

“Your father agrees with me. Ted,” yelled mother, “don’t you think that Remus is too old for Nymphadora?”

Her dad looked into the room. He looked awkwardly at his daughter and wife.

“Well,” muttered Ted quietly, “I think that Remus seems like a nice man. Has a good sense of humor, like your cousin.”

“Can’t you do anything right, Theodore?” yelled her mother.

“I’m leaving,” shrieked Tonks. “Remus, come on.”

“Thank you for dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Tonks,” Remus said courteously.

“Come on,” muttered Tonks, “you don’t need to thank her.”

Tonks left the house, Remus in hand, slamming the door behind them.


Tonks had not spoken to her mother since that night. She loved Remus, and no old bat could stop that. How could her have been so negative about this? Didn’t she realize that she was in love? Her mother never really supported anything she did. She thought that being an Auror was dangerous, that her pink hair was unprofessional, and that her fiancé was too old. What was next, her nails were clean enough?

That woman was such a hypocrite. How could she say that about her daughter when she became a Healer even though her family didn’t want her to and married her dad even though they hated Muggle-borns? It bothered Tonks sometimes. It would be nice to have her mother support her for once. She wanted to please her mother so badly, but nothing she did seemed to make her happy.

She loved Remus, more than she had ever loved a man before. Remus was definitely not perfect, but he was closer than the others. He was charming, intelligent, and a little mischievous. So, what if he happened to be a werewolf? In her mind, that was what made him who he was. He could be a little too noble sometimes, but it was cute. Remus may be ten years older than her, but they were both adults in an adult relationship. Age didn’t matter. Her mother just didn’t understand that. She thought Remus Lupin could not care a bit for Tonks, and just wanted her body and money for his pleasure.

But Remus Lupin was not like that. Her mother had it all wrong. Remus was a good man. He loved her more than anything. He had been reluctant to date her at first. He was afraid for her safety. But she felt safest when she was by his side. When she was with Remus, nothing else mattered. All that mattered was him and that she loved him.

Her dad had felt horrible about the fight, and he asked her out for coffee earlier that week. Tonks had accepted, only because her father was innocent of the horridness that her mother performed. The conversation was clear in her mind, as though the meeting just happened a few minutes ago, not a few days.

“Hello, Sweetheart,” her dad said, giving her a quick kiss.

“Wotcher, Dad,” she replied. “How are you?”

“Wonderful. Work is just as exciting as always,” he said.

“What, is loading potion ingredients into a shop too strenuous?” she teased.

“How difficult it is.” He sighed dramatically. “All the flicking of the wand, and those Wingardium Leviosa’s, they take a toll on an old man’s body.”

“Very funny,” Tonks said. “Now, why do I have pleasure of seeing my dear old dad?”

“Your mother,” he said simply.

“What’s my mother up to now?” she asked.

“She’s really upset about the other night. You know she only wants the best for you.”

“Then she should be supportive of Remus.”

“She’s just worried. She doesn’t want you to become what she almost was.”

“What, a pureblood housewife?” Tonks muttered. “She already plays the part. She’s prejudiced enough. Look at how she treats Remus. Like he’s some common beast.”

“Your mother grew up with those values instilled in her.”

“Yeah. She was also raised to hate Muggle-borns, and yet she snagged you.”

“Well,” muttered her bright red father, “that was different.”

“What? Mum was a woman, and you were a man. It’s the same with Remus and me. We’re in love.”

Ted took a gulp of his coffee. “You know,” he said thoughtfully, “you remind me of myself.”

“That’s great,” she muttered. “I’m a reminder of a dilapidated old man. Let’s see where this is going.”

“No, comedian,” he replied, “your taste in guys.”

“Huh?” asked Tonks. “Don’t tell me you’re having an affair with a gay werewolf behind my mother’s back. She might hurl one of old cauldrons at you.”

“Well,” he continued, ignoring the last comment, “we Tonks like dangerous spouses. Look at your mother. She was a member of the most prestigious pureblood family in the entire wizarding race. No one dared to approach her. If her sister Bellatrix didn’t kill you, she would do a heavy number on you.”

“My mother had a sharp tongue?”

“Called me a Mudblood twenty-six times, and hexed me into a pulp when I asked her out when I was a second year.. Took her several long years before she came to actually want to talk to me. Then another couple long years before she thought I was datable.

“Well, your mother was a dangerous choice, and Remus isn’t a tame little puppy. A werewolf isn’t exactly cuddly.” Anyway, I approve of Remus.”

“That’s great. You approve of everything I’ve done. Mother, on the other hand, would rather have me tied to a chair than being myself.”

“Let me talk to her,” he said. “I can’t stand having my girls fighting. And please, give your mother a chance.”


Her dad hopefully worked his magic again. Whenever she fought with her mother growing up, her dad always was the buffer. He did a good job calming her mother down. After that many years of marriage, he knew what made her mother relax. Sure they fought a bit, but they always seemed to make up. She wished that her relationship with Remus would be like theirs, making it through every obstacle in their way.

A tawny owl fluttered in through the window. It landed on the table and dropped off a roll of parchment before fluttering back through the window. It was Delia, her parents’ owl. It must be her mother trying to tell her how horrible Remus was again. Tonks hastily untied the ribbon around the note and read it.

Dear Nymphadora,

Your mother had been taken to St. Mungo’s. She couldn’t breathe; the Healer said she was in critical condition. She left a letter for you. She said it was important and that you need to read it. Please come soon. I need you here.

Love,
Dad


Tonks opened up the other roll of parchment.

To my dearest daughter,

I am sorry for everything that has happened over the years. I know we have had our differences, and I want to make it up to you.

I love you, and am so proud of you. You make a wonderful Auror. I know it never seems like I care, but you have to know that I am just afraid for your safety. I know that you are a capable young woman who can handle everything that comes her way. It’s just that every time I see you, I am reminded of the little girl who used to pretend to duel with the little boys.

I know that I was hard on you the other night. It’s hard for me, as your mother, to see you dating someone so much older than you. It is difficult for me to accept that you are a woman now, and that you can make your own decisions. I just don’t want you get hurt. I don’t want you to become what I almost was.

Nymphadora Tonks, soon to be Lupin, I love you. You are the best daughter I could have ever had. You are a great woman, and will make a wonderful wife and mother. Just remember that I will always be there for you.

Love,
Your mother


Tonks looked up from the letter, tears in her eyes. She sat down at the table and sobbed into her hands. Remus walked into the room, and ran over to her.

“Is everything alright,” he asked worriedly.

She chocked out a weak sob, and handed him the letter. Remus skimmed it, and then sat next to her.

“Let me take you there,” he said. “Your dad really needs you. So does your mother.”

Tonks looked up at him. “You would do that? Even knowing that my mother doesn’t like you or the fact that we’re together?”

Remus chucked her under the chin gently. “Of course. If I marry you someday, I’m going to marry that family of yours, too. They are your family. Besides, it doesn’t matter what they think “ you’re still with me in spite of what she thinks, right? I have no reason to hold a grudge.” He arched an eyebrow knowingly. “Neither do you, Tonks. Don’t cut off your mother because she’s doing something she thinks is best for you. She loves you just as much as I do.”

Tonks buried her nose in her fiancé’s chest. “This is why I love you, you know, you noble prat. You make me feel ashamed of myself.”

Remus chuckled and wrapped an arm around her. “You have nothing to be ashamed of. I’m doing this entirely for personal reasons. You see…I’m thinking I can win your mother over while her judgment is weakened by sickness. The faster I win your mother over, the faster I get you happy again. That’s all I really want, and you haven’t been the same since you started fighting with her.”

Tonks smiled. “Well, let’s go to St. Mungo’s, then. I have full faith in your charm.”

Arm in arm, the couple stepped into the fire “ knowing their love could bear any flame.