Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Magical Debates by Ravenclaw

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Wizarding Issue:
Werewolves’ Rights
Authors:
FenrirG and Laceymoibella



Introduction: A bill pertaining to the legal rights of the werewolf community has been brought before the wizarding council. Dolores Umbridge, who adamantly opposes the bill, confidently states why the bill should not be passed. Meanwhile, Remus Lupin presents an eloquent defense for the werewolves and the position they play in the wizarding world. Which side will win?

* * *


“I am Dolores Jane Umbridge and I am here today on behalf of the wizarding community to dispute the petition that has been requested pertaining to werewolf rights. If we allow this petition to be passed in to law, there are going to be serious repercussions felt throughout our wizarding world. Life as we know it will cease to exist.”

She purposely scanned the panel of witches and wizards seated before her, impressed to see that she had their complete attention. “You may proceed,” boomed a wizard in green robes.

Dolores resumed her speech. “First and foremost, I would like to state there are several reasons as to why we should not allow this bill to pass.” She smiled sweetly at the group assembled before her.

“Safety. Your children need to be taken into consideration since they will inevitably come into contact with werewolves if we accept them openly within our society. Children’s lives are at stake. We all know how werewolves prefer the young and innocent. If we allow them to mingle in our community, they will be sorely tempted to seek out your children; possibly for some of you, your grandchildren. I, for one--and I am certain most of you agree-- do not want to be held responsible for any destruction that will occur at the hands of werewolves.” She gazed at the council and then charged on.

“Adults are even at risk, for werewolves are not choosy when the need to feed strikes. A werewolf will not ignore their urge when it becomes overbearing. How would we protect ourselves, our families, friends, associates and neighbors if a werewolf goes on a rampage?”

Looking around she saw a few heads nod in agreement. Bolstered, Dolores plunged on. “Commerce; our means of stability for our economy. If werewolves are hired for positions in which they deal with the public, we would observe a dramatic decrease in sales. We would all suffer since no one would dare step into one of our fine establishments knowing a werewolf worked there. They would fear for their lives.” Dolores heard murmurs of consent ripple through the crowd gathered before her.

“What about their issues that occur every month?” Studying the group of wizards and witches she pressed on. “They would be absent from their post for days thereby leaving the shopkeepers scrambling to fill the positions temporarily. What is a storeowner to do if their employee is absent for a number of days? The extra burden that would be placed upon them would be insurmountable.”

With unwavering confidence, Dolores smoothly went on. “Regulation. Werewolves need to have a close eye kept on them. It is imperative that we know their whereabouts, their every movement. Keeping track of them would require an extra effort and diligence on the council’s part, an area in which you are stretched thinly as it is. We would absolutely have to have the knowledge of where they reside for when it comes time for the full moon to rise. We would have to know where they are so they could be carefully monitored. Hence we should envision confining them together in one, large place in order to watch them properly. We would need to be certain that they harmed no innocent individuals.”

Dolores paused momentarily to peruse the sea of faces. Inwardly liking what she saw, she continued in a honeyed tone. “Werewolves’ role in society. What good do they bring to the community? We have heard, or in some cases witnessed, the carnage they have bestowed upon their unsuspecting victims. They do not belong in our genteel society. Their moods can swiftly change from impassive to savage in a matter of mere seconds. Thus, they are undependable creatures.”

Perceptibly, she noted her words being digested by the witches and wizards sitting on the board. With a smug look she delved on without glancing at her list. “Public relations. How would we continue with our majestic appearance in our wonderful wizarding community if we allowed werewolves to run rampant in our midst? What would the other wizarding nations think? Honestly, do we want to set a precedent of implementing rights to such savage beasts when there are so many holes in its justification? It would inevitably be the downfall of the wizarding world, one in which our own society would be accused of starting it all. Do we want to shoulder the responsibility for such catastrophic consequences?”

Straightening her spine, she spoke in a brisk tone. “Trust. How can we trust them? How can we put our faith in them? Take, for example, Fenrir Greyback; the most viscous, relentless werewolf of our time. Look at how he won the confidence of some of his victims. They were unknowing bystanders minding their own business whose paths crossed with that heinous beast.” Dolores visibly shuddered at the thought of him.

“So I leave you with these thoughts. Take them into the utmost consideration when you convene to discuss this subject. The fate of your loved ones and the wizarding world rests in your hands,” Dolores stated as she ended with a flourish. She smiled serenely at the council assembled, then turned and strode confidently to her seat.

Shifting slightly in his seat, a prematurely greying man listened to the polite applause with an unreadable expression written on his careworn face. While his warm brown eyes bore little fondness for the toad-like woman before him, the man merely nodded differentially to his opposer before rising slowly to his feet. The applause quickly terminated, leaving the room drenched in a thick, expectant silence. Remus Lupin cleared his throat once and smiled briefly to the silent Council before beginning. His voice was quiet and hoarse, yet full of undeniable strength.

“While Dolores has brought up some seemingly logical points, I’m afraid that I have to disagree with her on many counts. As a long-time werewolf and former teacher, I am fully aware of the many problems and dangers posed by the terrible condition of Lycanthropy. However, I am proud to say that I have gone through my life without harming or infecting a single human being and I have managed to achieve what I feel is a successful life despite my condition.”

Remus paused for a moment as Umbridge sniffed audibly, gazing at his tattered robes with affected distain. However, the man simply drew himself up higher and raised his voice ever so slightly before continuing.

“As any werewolf can tell you, there are many effective methods of controlling Lycanthropy. There is, of course, the method of seclusion--locking oneself away during the full moon. But more importantly, the use of the Wolfsbane potion can completely eliminate the effects that Lycanthropy has on the mind. A werewolf under the influence of the Wolfsbane potion is no more dangerous than the most docile dog; we therefore pose no threat to humans on the full moon.

“Lycanthropy may be a terrible curse to live with, but I can assure you that it has no effect on the daily life of a werewolf. I know from experience that a werewolf is perfectly capable of holding a job; the only time their work will be affected is on the eve and morning of the full moon. But every employee is forced to take the occasional day off of work--why should this be any different for a werewolf?”

Remus paused momentarily as the onlookers murmured quietly among themselves. Some were nodding in understanding, looking partially convinced, while others wore hard, unreadable expressions on their faces.

“Dolores wisely brought up the issue of Fenrir Greyback and his highly negative effect on the wizarding community as a whole. Let me tell you this: Fenrir Greyback is a monster not because he is a werewolf, but because he is a man. It is the human side of him, the side that longs for vengeance, which causes him to commit his terrible acts against mankind.

“Is casting out and discriminating against werewolves going to solve this problem? No--it will simply cause many a man and woman to turn to a life in the colonies, a life dictated by Greyback himself. By continuing to segregate werewolves from the rest of the wizarding community, we are playing right into Greyback’s hands.

“We, as members of the human race, are currently locked in a deadly struggle that threatens to tear us apart. With the help of Greyback, Lord Voldemort”yes, I speak his name”is seeking to destroy the delicate balance of cooperation and equality that lies between us all. pure-bloods, half-bloods, Muggle-borns... and werewolves. Tell me this: how, how can we expect to return our society to ‘normal’, if our idea of this is a society of discrimination and unfounded fear?

“So, I ask you once more to grant us the certain unalienable rights you deny to no one--not to thieves, not to murderers, not to criminals who have done nothing to deserve them. I ask you to grant these rights to werewolves, whose only crime has been to receive a bite. And I ask you this not as a politician--not as a werewolf--but as a man.

“Thank you.”


A heavy silence fell across the dimly lit chamber as Remus walked back to his chair and sat down with dignity. His eyes were glittering with passion as he surveyed the people before him. The vast majority looked humbled, sobered. A few--most notably Umbridge herself--were glaring at him with expressions of utmost hatred written on their faces. Yet Remus did not care; he knew that the vast majority of the people had been won over. With the slightest trace of a smile visible on his lined face, he heard--without really listening--the head of the council recite the voting protocol necessary for the vote.

“Will all in favor of passing the bill please raise their hands?”

Remus watched with confidence as the room rustled to life; it took him but a moment to see that well over half of the people in the room had raised their hands. It was enough!

The room burst into applause as a wide grin split Remus’ face. Not deigning to look at his spluttering opposer, he rose to his feet and raised a hand in the air, thanking his audience. It was a small victory, but a victory nonetheless. As he smiled up at the council, an unexpected thought caused a burst of joy and pride to overtake him.

Sirius and James would be proud.