Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Father's Day by Marauder by Midnight

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Dedicated to my father. Without you, I wouldn't be the young lady I am today. Thank you for listening, for caring, for braiding my hair, and for packing my lunches. Love you forever. I hope my readers have a figure like you in their lives.

All named characters in this story are created by J.K. Rowling.
“Please sir, this is my first day,” the receptionist whimpered.

James Potter swore loudly, running his hand through his hair in frustration. “I’m just asking for information. So do your bloody job and direct me to my wife's room!”

Trembling, the poor girl gave him the floor and room number for “Mrs. James Potter.” James threw a cursory thank-you over his shoulder as he dashed for the elevators. He rocked on the balls of his feet, hurrying the elevator’s descent to the ground floor.

He swore loudly when the elevator doors opened, revealing a packed compartment.

A pleasant voice from inside said, “We’re sorry for the inconvenience. This compartment has reached its maximum capacity. Please wait “ “

Damn it if I’m going to wait. Without waiting for the voice to finish, James sprinted for the stairs hidden to the side of the reception room. He pounded up the flights and flights of stairs, taking two at a time, ignoring the burning sensation in his chest and legs.

A woman squealed in surprise when he finally burst through the door on the right floor. A clatter resounded in his ears as a nearby nurse dropped her tray.

“I beg your pardon!” A rigid elderly woman in the nurse’s uniform approached him. “This is a hospital, young man, not some playhouse or “ You come back here!”

James had taken off again once he regained his breath, careening down the nearest hallway in what he hoped was the right direction. Gasps of astonishment and expressions of indignation swirled around him, but he had his sights and mind on one thing only. Oh, if he was too late…what would Lily say?

He hit something hard as he rounded a corner. Stumbling backwards, he reached out blindly and grabbed something soft to steady him.

“OW! Hey, mate, what’s your “ Prongs?”

James shook his head to clear his befuddled mind. He squinted at the figure before him, still clutching whatever it was he had grabbed to save him from the impact of the tiled linoleum floor. “Padfoot!”

Sirius Black, his best friend, grinned at him with excitement. “Oh Prongs! You’re just in time. Lily was having a fit. She’d insisted on waiting for you to arrive, but…well,” Sirius shrugged, “She could only hold out for so long.”

It’s all over? Dazed, he followed Sirius down the sterile hall to that little room.

He heard Lily before he saw her. At first, it was only a low murmur, barely audible through the thick walls of the hospital. But as he neared the open door, he knew it was her cooing to their daughter “ or son.

Suddenly, James’ throat tightened. He balled his sweaty hands into fists. His legs felt heavier than lead. This was it. This was the moment they’d been waiting for for nine months. A wave of nausea hit him, and he suddenly felt unsettled. What if he wasn’t a good father? What if he couldn’t give this child, his flesh and blood, everything it “ no, not it “ needed?

Images flashed through his mind. A bullied little boy. A flashy teenage girl smiling flirtatiously. A young man swathed in black with sunken, blank eyes. He couldn’t mess this up, not this child.

“Hey, Prongs. You all right?” When James didn’t answer, Sirius peered at James with concern. “Look, the room’s just right there, James. Just a few more steps.”

James shook his head, tears threatening to escape. “I don’t think I can do this, Padfoot,” he said shakily. He waved helplessly at the room and turned his head away shamefully. “What if I’m not ready to be a father?”

“Whew, boy, is that all?” Sirius laughed with relief. James looked at him quizzically. “And here I thought it was something serious.” Sirius chuckled. “Prongs, you’ll be the best father ever, and I’m not just saying that.”

Unconvinced, James dropped his head again. “No, no, listen to me,” Sirius sighed. “Believe me, Prongs, I know it when I see bad parents,” he laughed bitterly, “and I don’t doubt for a moment you’ll win best father of the year.

“I wasn’t blind the past nine months, you know. I’ve watched you love that baby when it was still in the womb. Sometimes, I see you just staring at Lily’s belly with such love, it made me wish I was that baby. Even Lily’s exasperated because of how much you rub her tummy and how many times you’ve insisted on feeling the baby kick. And don’t tell me you spent so long fussing over the wallpaper of the nursery to duck out at the last minute, Prongs.” Sirius winked.

James couldn’t but smile. He ran another hand through his hair, his spirits high once more. “You’re right, Padfoot. This kid’s going to have the best parents and godfather anyone’ll ever have.” He slung an arm around his friend.

Sirius’ eyes widened. “You mean that?” James nodded. “Oh will Remus and Peter be green with envy.”

“James Harold Potter.” Both men looked up. The third and fourth of the gang formerly known as the Marauders stuck their heads out the room. “How long have you been out here canoodling with Sirius and not with your own wife?”

Peter Pettigrew giggled with excitement. “Come look at your son, James!”

My son. James vaguely felt Sirius guide him gently into the room. His legs wobbled like jelly the whole way there, but that intense need to see his - his - son was all he needed to propel him toward the room.

“Awfully late, aren’t you?” The beautiful redhead in the hospital bed, pushed a damp lock of fiery-red hair out from her eyes. Though her tone was airy and light, the rings around her emerald eyes and the sweat that clung to her skin were too obvious.

“Lily, sweet.” James nearly collapsed at his wife’s side. “I’m sorry, but Moody “ “

Lily placed a thin finger on James’ lips to stop him. “Shh. Harry doesn’t want to hear any excuses from his father, does he?” Lily turned to the small bundle in her arms.

“Harry?”

Lily smiled tiredly. “Well, seeing as how you weren’t here, you couldn’t possibly expect to having naming rights, did you?”

James grinned stupidly back.

“Daddy wants to hold you now, dear Harry. Mummy needs a bit of rest.”

Here you go, James. Don’t panic. Just like you’d practiced.

Lily held out her arms.

Baby’s head in the crook.

James carefully placed his right arm beneath the baby.

Steady, James. Now the other arm underneath. Good.

“Got him, James?”

James nodded as he kept his eyes on his son’s face, seeing it for the first time. It was a wrinkled thing, just like the instructor had said. His nose was unbelievably small. His mouth was just a tiny pucker. The child’s eyes were closed, but James imagined them to be chocolate-brown with a glint of mischief like his father’s or just as shocking green as his mother’s.

This was his son, his precious child. And in that moment, he knew. All his worries and doubts disappeared. He’d protect this hairless babe with his life because nothing would come between him and his child.




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of June 16, 2007 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.