Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Less Than Angelic by Quick_Quote_Quill

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sorting Sorrows
Chapter Three

Angelina made her way up the sweeping staircase, hoping to bump into an older student that could point her in the direction of her common room. But the halls were empty, not even a ghost in sight.

As she walked timidly down the looming hallways, whispers seemed to follow her. But every time she stopped and looked over her shoulder the sound ceased, and only a deserted corridor lay behind her. Turning left, she walked down a gloomy hall. Whispering ‘lumos,’ Angelina held her wand a bit higher so that the light from its tip illuminated the hall, lighting the walls and the whispering portraits hanging on them.

“Hello,” Angelina greeted a sad looking lady in a delicate oval frame. “I’m Angelina Lestrange. I was wondering if“”

At that a voice called from behind her, “Lestrange, you say? I was a friend of your family back in my day ” a good family.”

Angelina turned around to see a royal-looking man in a dark velvet cloak hanging in a heavy gilded gold frame.

Angelina smiled. “You know my family?”

“Certainly; I keep a close eye on Rodolphus. A fine Slytherin he’s becoming. He’ll make your family proud. So I suppose you want to know the way back to your dungeon? Already sneaking around. Most first years are more timid, but I suppose it’s the Slytherin in you.”

Angelina’s smile became strained. “Actually, I’m in Ravenclaw. Do“”

“RAVENCLAW! You shame your family! Do you know how many generations of Lestranges have been Slytherins? Do you care nothing for your illustrious heritage? I will be informing your Great-Great-Grandfather, Rudolph Lestrange, about this foul slandering of your family’s noble name. Over on the fifth corridor he is.” With that he swept off, pushing two gossiping old women out of his way as he strode through their frame.

“Wait! Can’t you at least point me in the right direction?” She called pleadingly to after him as one of the portraits gave a small shriek after being pushed.

“Be gone, Blood-Traitor!” Came the cold retort.

The words pierced Angelina’s heart and she could feel the sting of tears behind her eyes. She blinked rapidly, trying to ward off the tears.

“Please,” she cried, somewhat hysterically. “Please, I need help finding the Ravenclaw common room.” None of the portraits spoke. “Please, will some one help me?”

Suddenly a crack sounded from behind her, and Angelina spun on her heels, lifting her wand defensively.

“Miss, is calling FuFu for help. FuFu was just finishing cleaning the classroom down the hall when Miss called. FuFu would be honored to help Miss,” said the voice of a tiny house-elf.

Angelina blinked slowly down at the house-elf standing before her. The elf’s large eyes reminded her of the house-elves at home. Suddenly, she found herself wishing very much to be back home with Twinkle, her personal house-elf. A lone tear trickled down her cheek, as she angrily brushed it away with the sleeve of her new robes.

“Oh, what is it Miss? FuFu was not wishing to upset Miss. Now, now, Miss mustn’t cry. Is Miss wishing to come down to the kitchens? FuFu is making nice warm tea for Miss and Miss is telling FuFu what is wrong.”

“I don’t want to go to the kitchens. I just need to find my common room and I have no idea where it is,” Angelina moaned in distress.

“Oh, now Miss mustn’t worry. FuFu is knowing where all the common rooms are. She is cleaning them. Now, in which house is Miss?”

“Ravenclaw.” The mere word caused Angelina’s heart to ache.

“Now, now, Miss must not cry. Miss is not to worry. FuFu is helping.” And FuFu set off with a waddle. “Come, Miss; this way.”

Angelina hurried to keep up. Halfway past the library, the sound of footsteps could be heard down the corridor. Panic instantly engulfed Angelina. She was going to be caught out of bed her first night! Frozen in fear, Angelina stared, her eyes transfixed down the hall.

A girl wearing a long white night gown with bunny slippers peeking out from under the hem came shuffling into view, accompanied by a small grey cat.

“Chloe!” Angelina cried in relief, hurrying down the hall.

“Oh there you are! I was so worried. I was afraid you’d never find the common room, so, I decided to come and find you. The other girls wouldn’t come; they said we’d get expelled if we were caught,” the girl whispered quietly.

Angelina stared dumbly at the girl. Did she know her? Surely not. She was rather plain, with loose, wavy blond hair and a rather unremarkable heart-shaped face. Still, she reminded Angelina of someone; she just couldn’t place it. Surely she didn’t know anyone who would be sorted into Ravenclaw.

The girl stared back at Angelina with large doe-like eyes. “We can talk more when we get back,” she said, “but we shouldn’t make much noise. I heard the caretaker is very unpleasant.”

Angelina nodded dumbly. Just then the house-elf pulled lightly on Angelina’s robes, reminding her of the elf’s presence. “FuFu is going now that Miss is safe. If ever Miss needs FuFu, all she is to do is call.”

“Ah, thanks FuFu,” Angelina said in a hushed voice, but the elf was already gone.

The two girls started down the corridor, silently throwing furtive glances over their shoulders at every creak of the castle as it settled further into its foundation, hoping they wouldn’t be caught out of bed their first night at Hogwarts.

“I only hope the question’s not too hard,” the girl whispered as they climbed up a flight of spiraled stairs. At last they arrived outside of a door; however, it had no handle or keyhole, just a bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle.

Angelina wondered briefly if the blonde girl had really brought them to the correct entrance, but as Angelina wondered about the sense of her companion the other girl reached up and gave the door a timid knock.

“What must always be considered when composing a spell?” A disembodies voice questioned.

“Uh?” the girl glanced nervously at Angelina. “I haven’t a clue, have you?”

But Angelina was already rattling off the answer.

“Very nicely put.” Came the compliment as the door swung open.

Once in the safety of their common room, the girl turned to Angelina.

"That was brilliant! I'm Emma Hope," the girl told her, ignoring Angelina's s reserved manners and giving a beaming smile.

Angelina wished for the second time that day that she had been paying attention to the list of surnames that were acceptable. She had been so sure she would be sorted into Slytherin at the time that it hadn't seemed to matter. However, Emma Hope seemed easy enough to figure out. For, Angelina thought snobbishly, what self respecting Pureblood family would go by the surname of ‘Hope’? Or allow any member to wear such ridiculous slippers.

It was clear that Emma Hope was a Mudblood.

Who did not know the first thing about spell composition.

"Lestrange."

"Oh, my father is friends with a family called Lestrange," Emma said, as the two girls made their way up the staircase to their dormitory.

"I doubt it’s the same one. My family doesn’t talk to Muggles. We haven’t consorted with them for thousands of years. Our name goes back, uncontaminated, all the way to the Gold Book."

"Oh."

Entering the room, only one light remained on; the rest of the girls had gone to bed.

"It's quite late; I'm going to bed," Angelina said primly. With that she started to change for bed, but Emma continued, oblivious.

"I'm so excited about tomorrow; I can't sleep. Do you think you will?"

"I think I’ll manage if I get some peace and quiet."

The girl didn’t take the hint.

"But aren't you excited about tomorrow? It's the first day of lessons. Of course, I'm not as nervous as earlier, when we were being sorted. I thought I might get Hufflepuff, which isn't too bad, but I never imagined I'd get into Ravenclaw."

"Why not?" Angelina asked as she climbed into bed, curious despite herself. She had only ever met people that knew they were going to be Slytherins.

"I didn't think I'd be smart enough. Ravenclaw’s the best house."

"What are you talking about? Slytherin is the best house. It's where all the best wizards come from."

"But aren't you happy to be in Ravenclaw?"

"No, the Cruciatus Curse is better than this!" Angelina snapped before jerking the curtains closed around her bed.