Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Long-lost Love by Nienor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He woke up with the sound of the doorbell.
“Coming,” he said, with a thick and irritated voice. The doorbell rang once again, and Ron got more irritated. “Can’t people sleep in peace around here?” he said as he unlocked the door.

“Sorry mate, but I have to talk to you,” Ron heard the boy say as he stepped inside.
“You know I want to sleep when I have a day off, Harry,” Ron said, but grinned to him.
A boy with black, untidy hair, emerald green eyes and a scar on the forehead, grinned back.
“Sorry, but this is an emergency,” Harry Potter said sitting down on the sofa. “I got a letter yesterday, from Lupin,” he told Ron.
“Lupin?” Ron said, surprised.
Their DADA-teacher in their third year, good friend of Harry’s father and a member of the Order, Remus Lupin, was a good man. Ron had always liked him. Lupin was one of those who could give you advice, and listen to you.

“What did he write?”
“He’s coming to London, and wants to see us,” Harry answered.
“I don’t see any problem with that?” Ron said frowning.
“Well, you see, Lupin wants to stay for a while, and, you know... since he’s a werewolf, he can’t stay in a hotel,” Harry said.
“Lupin could go when he has been a werewolf, when there’s a month ‘till next time?” Ron asked.
Even Harry could think of that.
“Well, he doesn’t mention anything of that in the letter, so, I guess there’s a bit ‘till next transformation,” Harry said, and looked at Ron.
“Anyway, could he live here? When he’s in town?” Harry asked.
“Why? You know him better then me,” Ron said. “It’s not that I don’t like him, but you just know him a lot better!”
Harry nodded. “OK... he can live at my place,” he said.

Ron opened a window.
It was a nice day. The snow was white, the sun was shining, but it was cold outside.
“Where were you last night? Tried to call you,” Harry said.
Ron didn’t turn around at once. What would he say if I told him about last night? Ron thought, looking out of the window. It had been a wonderful night. He hoped she would call him soon. Maybe today?
“I… I was going for a walk,” Ron said.
“For three hours? Come on, even an athlete wouldn’t do that,” Harry said.
Harry was right. Maybe he would just tell him about yesterday.
“I was together with Hermione,” Ron said, beginning to feel a little warm.
“Aha!” Harry said in triumph. “Was it nice?” he asked.
“Yeah,” Ron said.
At least he didn’t laugh at me, Ron thought.
“We met each other in the park nearby, and went to a café,” Ron said, as he sat down.
“You just met?” Harry said. “No, I don’t think so. I guess Hermione sent you an owl, or something,” he continued.
“You’re right,” Ron said, and nodded. “I got an owl from her last week, it said in the letter that she wanted to see me. I wanted to, of course, and we agreed to meet each other in the park,” Ron continued as he took out his wand from his jacket. “Do you want something to drink? Coffee? Tea?”
“Coffee, please,” Harry said, watching Ron as he waved with his wand.
Two cups came out of nowhere, and coffee came out of the wand.
“Can’t understand how Muggles can live without magic,” Ron said, sighing.
“Tell me more, mate. Did something happen?” Harry asked, grinning.
He knew about Ron’s crush on Hermione.
“No, or, we hugged each other, but that’s what old friends do,” Ron said.
“Did you agree to meet each other again, sometime?” Harry asked, looking at Ron while he took a sip of his coffee.
“Yeah, she has my number, she promised to call me soon,” Ron said. “She said she would try to call me tonight,” he added.
“That’s good,” Harry said, smiling.
“Oh, one thing,” Ron said to Harry. “Have you heard a rumour saying that we don’t talk to each other anymore?” he asked as he took a sip of his coffee.
“No?” Harry said, looking surprised at Ron. “Why do you ask?”
“Well, Hermione asked me about it last night, she told me that she’d heard something about us not getting along anymore,” Ron said as he sat down his cup.
“Well, I haven’t heard anything about it. And we’re talking to each other right now, and always has, so I say, it’s a false rumour,” Harry said, laughing.
“Yeah, you’re right,” Ron said, looking out of the window again.

It was silent for a while. Then the telephone rang. Ron walked out to the hall, and took up the receiver.
“Hello?” Ron said.
“Hi,” said a female voice. Ron’s heart started to beat faster. “It’s Hermione,” she said.
“Hi,” Ron said, feeling his hands shaking.
“I had a lovely time last night,” Hermione said.
“Yeah, me too,” Ron said. “I thought you were at work?” he asked, glancing at the clock at the wall. It was half past one.
“Yeah, I am, but I wanted to call you,” Hermione said. Did her voice shake a little? “I just wondered if you wanted to eat dinner? Tonight?”
Ron started to smile.
“Of course. When?” he answered, hearing Hermione laughing.
“At seven?”
“Yes, you know where I live? Remember I told you at the café?” Ron asked.
“Yes, I remember,” Hermione said, and continued, “I’ll reserve a table for us,”
“Yeah, do that, only the restaurant has good food, it’s fine with me,” he said, hearing Hermione laugh.
“Yes, I know of a really good restaurant, with not to high prices,” she said. “Well, see you at seven outside your house.”
“Yeah. Can’t wait to see you. Good bye,” Ron said.
“Good bye.”

Ron had a big smile when he back to the living room.
“Who was it?” Harry said, looking at Ron. “Guess it was a good call?” he added.
“It was Hermione,” Ron said, smiling. “She wants to eat dinner with me,” he continued, starting to grin.
Harry smiled back.
“So, she called?”
“Yeah,” Ron said, feeling his whole body was happy. “I have to find me some clothes,” he added, getting up from the chair.
“Yes. I’ll go now, got to shop for some food,” Harry said.
“OK,” Ron said, following Harry to the door.
“I’m glad she called you,” Harry said.
“I always hoped at Hogwarts that you and Hermione got together. But then, when she started dating Dean -”
“Dean? Dean Thomas? Hermione dated him?” Ron asked.
“Well, yeah,” Harry said with a shrug. “She told me when you were on the Library one night.”
“Oh. I see,” Ron said.
Hermione hadn’t dared to tell him.
Harry continued. “But when she started dating Dean, my hope sank,” he added honestly.
“Well, maybe the hope is growing?” Ron said, grinning.
“Yeah, it does. And don’t fight so much this time,” Harry said. “I was getting rather tired of it,” he added, smiling.
“I promise,” Ron said, giving Harry his jacket.
“Well,” Harry said, when he finished getting dressed. “Have a good night, and say hello to Hermione from me!” he said as he opened the door.
“I will!” Ron said, closing the door, beginning to hum.
It was going to be a fine day; he just knew it.