Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Long-lost Love by Nienor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He looked at the sky above them. The moon was bright also tonight, bathing the city in light. It wasn't snowing anymore. But it was a cold wind blowing, making the both of them freeze.
"Are you cold?" asked Ron.
"Maybe a little bit," said Hermione, rubbing her hands against her arms.
"Here," said Ron, taking his jacket over her shoulders.
"Oh, thank you," Hermione said, smiling. "But then you mustn't freeze. I don't want you to get a cold," she added, worried.
"Don't worry," Ron answered. "I'm a warm-blooded person," he added, smiling at her. They walked in silence, and Ron looked at Hermione when she was looking another way.

How can I express my feelings for her? Would she laugh if I told her?

"Ah, here it is," Ron said, stopping outside the door. Hermione raised her eyes from the ground.
"Shall we go inside?" Ron asked. Hermione nodded, and he muttered 'Alohomora!'
"Are you allowed to do magic here? With Muggle-neighbours?" asked Hermione surprised.
"It's a magic neighbourhood, literally speaking," said Ron, holding the door open for her.
"I see," said Hermione, taking Ron's jacket of her.

Right after they had come inside, it began to snow again.
"You have a nice apartment," Hermione said while Ron was getting fire to the fireplace.
"Thanks. Dad knew some people who would move out to the country. So, he asked if I could buy it from the previous owner. And, as you see, I got it," said Ron, standing up and watching the fire.
"Do you want something to drink?" Ron said, looking at Hermione.
"It would've been nice with a cup of cocoa," Hermione said with closed eyes. Ron waved with his wand, and two cups of cocoa stood on the table.
"Here you go," Ron said, giving Hermione the cup.

"Ron?" Hermione said, after the cacao had become cold enough to drink.
"Yes?" said Ron, looking at her.
"Is Harry ok? I mean, after the War and everything?"
Ron thought for a while. "Well, I think so. Of course, he had to be nursed at St. Mungo's for some time, but after that, he got well again. It was a strain for him, afterwards, but he had a big support group, so everything went well. And thank goodness for that, I wouldn't want to know what had happened to him if he hadn't got support from us and the Order," he added.
He looked at Hermione. A single tear rolled down at her cheek. Then he heard a silent sob.
"Oh, Hermione, please, don't cry..." Ron said, not knowing what he should do. He raised himself up and sat down beside her.

"Oh, Ron!" Hermione said, starting to cry. "This has worried me so much, this with the Prophecy and all," she said, sniffing. "I've haven't stopped thinking about it, ever since that day, when Harry told about it, in our sixth year... I have been so worried... About you and Harry, Ginny, and the other Weasleys, Lupin, Tonks, and - and -"
"Hermione, we're still alive!" Ron interrupted, looking at her.
Hermione dried away the tears. Even with puffy eyes, she was sweet.
"Oh, I know that, but what if-?"
Ron raised his hand. "There are no what-ifs. Harry got Voldemort, and Harry survived. He survived, Hermione. Think about that. Our best friend, and the famous boy, Harry Potter, survived and killed Lord Voldemort. He did what other great wizards couldn't do; kill one of the most terrifying wizards in out history. Harry has plenty of backbone, there's no doubt in that. He looked Death straight in the eye, but he made it."
"But... But -" Hermione said, still crying.

What shall I do? Ron thought. Poor thing, she must have had this on her mind for a long time. Let her know you're there for her, someone said in his head.
He stretched out his arm, to come around Hermione's neck. She laid her head on his shoulder, and Ron started stroking his fingers through her hair. That was what his mother had done when he was a little boy.

They sat like this for a long while. Ron heard her breath become steadier, and she didn't gasp anymore. He stroked her hair a little more. It seemed like it was calming her down. Just like him.

Hermione had stopped sobbing. She looked up at him.
"Thank you," she said with blank eyes.
"For what?" Ron said, smiling softly to her.
"To be here for me. Dean wasn't like this," Hermione said.
Ron's face became strict. But Hermione didn't see it; she was drying her eyes with a handkerchief.
"All he was talking about was Quidditch and sketching," she said. "And West Ham, of course," she added. "But you," she said, looking up at him, smiling sadly, "You care about other people, and about their feelings."
She was so near him now. He could even kiss her...

Ron looked her in the eye.
"I do care, Hermione. I care... for you," he whispered, stroking her hair again.
"You do..." Hermione whispered. "And, if you have any problems, I would really want to help you," she added.
"I'll remember that," said Ron. It made him sad, seeing her like this. "And I will always be here, for you," he added, whispering.
He was now so near her, that he felt her breath on his lips.
A perfect moment.
Ron lowered his head, and Hermione touched his lips.

Ron's head exploded of feelings. It's happening! Was the only thought on his mind. And it was wonderful. Her lips were so soft. Tasting like cherry, from her lip gloss, and salt after the tears. And it was wonderful, finally kissing the girl he'd been in love with since his 4th year at Hogwarts. It was exact like he thought it would be.

Lovely, soft and cherry.