Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Long-lost Love by Nienor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He took some Floo-Powder from the bowl beside the fireplace, threw it to the fire, shouted "Ministry of Magic!" and walked into the green flames. Travelling by Floo-Powder always made him sick. Spinning around in a sea of green flames, and bumping to the walls of the fireplaces made it uncomfortable. But, it was faster than walking, and safer than Apparating, so he took the risk of using the Floo Network.


Soon Ron was at the Ministry's Atrium. The last time he'd been here was in his fifth year - the night that Sirius had been murdered. Thinking of it made him sad: Ron could still remember Harry's grief for so many years afterwards.

The Fountain of Magical Brethren was there yet, but was now fully repaired after being destroyed.. It was made up of a group of magical folk standing together - a wizard, a witch, a centaur, a goblin and a house-elf. It was incredible to look at, Ron stood there fascinated by it for a couple of minutes. Then he remembered why he was there.

He walked over to the security guard, a wizard called Eric, who checked his wand. Ron knew him well, and Eric made an exception; he gave Ron the wand back. If Ron hadn't been Ron Weasley he would have to give Eric the wand. After the wand checking Ron walked over to the lift.

On his way down to the Department for Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, he greeted many people. Many of them he'd met as colleagues of his dad, Arthur Weasley. He'd been told for some years now that he was becoming more and more alike his father, in both personality and in appearance. He just "had to begin wearing glasses," someone told him once. But I'm not obsessive about Muggles and batteries, Ron thought. The only Muggleborn I fancy is Hermione.

"Level Four, Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, incorporating Beast, Being and Spirit Divisions..." Ron heard the same female voice that was in the telephone box; he still remembered the voice from that fatal night Sirius died.

He got out, and looked after a hint of where Hermione would be. He knew she worked in the Being Division; that was what she'd told him at the dinner. Then, he saw a familiar face.

"Hey, Padma!" Ron ran down to a girl with long, black hair and brown eyes. She was holding a large book and Ron guessed it was about some animal: Padma Patil was working in the Beast Division, so she had to know where Hermione could possibly have her office.

"Hi, Ron! Looking for Hermione? Last room in the corridor, to the right," she said, winking to him.
Ron stood there with a confused look. "How did you-?"

Padma laughed. "Hermione's been talking about you all morning," she said. "Well, got to go, work's calling. Nice to talk with you again," she said, and walked away.

Ron went down the corridor, and looked after bushy hair. He spotted her at once, and sneaked up behind her.

"Who am I?"

"The man of my dreams?" Hermione guessed, took down Ron's hands from her eyes, and smiled.

"Maybe?" Ron said, hugging her.

"Why are you here?" Hermione said with tender eyes.

"Well, I just wondered if my lady would come with me to Hogsmeade? Harry and I are going to meet Lupin there at noon, and I knew you would see him again, so... do you want to come?"

Hermione thought for a moment. "Well, I guess I can take an early lunch. I'll just tell the others I'm off for a couple of hours, and then we can go," she said. She wrote a note, tipped her wand at it, and the paper folded itself to an aeroplane. Ron recognized them at once; they were 'inter-departmental memos'; his father had gotten a lot of them when Ron had at the Ministry with him once.

"So, I'm ready to go!" Hermione said, putting on her jacket and svishing with her wand, so the candlelights went out.
"See you in Hogsmeade," Ron said, and Apparated.

***************************************************

They arrived at the Three Broomsticks right in time. Ron realized that Hogsmeade hadn't changed anything since his last visit. Zonko's was as usual, the most popular shop, The Shrieking Shack was as miserable as ever and The Hog's Head was still for those who didn't go to pubs to drink Butterbeer.

Ron opened the door for Hermione, and walked in to a lot of noise and warmth, as it had always been at the Three Broomsticks.
"Over here, Ron!" he heard Harry's voice from the swarm, and made way to the table where Harry, Ginny and Lupin were sitting.

"Oh, hi, Gin! What are you doing here?" Ron asked, giving his little sister a good hug. She was silent for a moment. It was as though she was a little bit uncomfortable with the whole situation.

"Uhm.. Actually, I'm here with Harry," she said, giving a quick grin.

"I asked her with me, that's all right, isn't it mate?" Harry asked, winking to Ron.

"'Course it is," Ron said, a little bit confused.

"Hello, Professor," Hermione said, smiling to Lupin.

"Hermione please, call me Remus. I was your teacher a long time ago, and it was only for a year. It's nice to see all of you again," Lupin said, grinning.

Ron noticed that Lupin looked better than he'd been for many years. He seemed in a way... healthier than he'd been before. Although his brown hair had some grey in it, his skin wasn't pale anymore, and he just didn't look exhausted. He'd gotten himself new robes too.

They sat down, and Madam Rosmerta came to their table, to take orders. She hadn't changed since Ron's last visit either: she was still curvy, and had the pretty face. She had gotten some wrinkles now, though.

"Five Butterbeers, please," Lupin said, smiling to the woman.

"Five it is," she said, walking off to get the drinks. "

"So, why d'you want to talk to us, Remus?" said Harry, looking at him.

"Well..." Remus began. It was as if he didn't now where to start. "I don't know how to say this, but, all of you know that... that..."

"You're a werewolf?" Hermione said silently.

"Yes," Lupin said, clenching his fists. Ron heard Lupin taking a deep breath before he spoke again.

"What would you say if I'd been healed?" Remus said, looking down at the table. They all got silent, until Harry finally spoke:

"That... that would be wonderful!" he said, in a relieved voice.

"Yeah, great!" Ron said, grinning.

If there was something Lupin deserved, it was that. Ron had noticed how Lupin changed when the moon was nearly full; tired, ill, exhausted and in a bad mood. Ron felt Hermione's hand tightened her grip around his.

"You've been cured, haven't you, Remus?" Hermione asked, with hope in her voice.
Remus smiled, and lifted his head slowly. "Yes, dear Hermione, I have."

Hermione started to cry in relief. Ron stroked her on the back, and asked Remus: "You have? How?"

Remus started to laugh. "You don't know how much you're like your father, Ron," he said, "the voice, the appearance... He reacted just like you. Stroking Molly on her back, while he glanced at me, just like he didn't believe his ears. But yes, it's true. I have been in touch with St. Mungo's for a while now, as Ginny knows." Remus looked at Ginny, who just nodded, and smiled at the table. Ginny had become a Healer after leaving Hogwarts.

"I don't know if any of you know about the Homorphus Charm?" Lupin asked them. Everybody thought for a moment, except for Hermione, who dried her eyes.

"Hold on, isn't that a spell for... werewolves?" Harry said, in an inquiring voice.

"You're absolutely right, Harry," Remus said.

"Well, some Healers at St. Mungo's have done some research at it, and have, finally, improved it. Improved it enough that people who have become werewolves can now be fully healed." He stopped to catch his breath.

"The Potion I was taking when you were going at Hogwarts was helping too - I had my mind, not a werewolf's mind, and was harmless. But now I'm healthy and ok when the moon's full, and can do what ever I want to. And, to be honest, it's a relief, not thinking about when the moon's full next time, and worry about Potions and so on." Remus sat back - more relaxed now, Ron thought.

"Ginny," Remus continued, placing his hand on her forearm, "has supported me when we were facing bad luck."

"And Harry," Harry lifted his head up to look at Lupin, "has also helped me, in the way of just being there for me." Remus put his hand on Harry's shoulder.

"But, why didn't you tell us?" Hermione said, putting Ron's handkerchief in her pocket.

"Harry told me you were... what can I say? Busy, with each other," Remus said, smiling slightly.

"Oh," Hermione said, beginning to blush.

"And it makes me happy to know that you finally are together. Molly is really excited about it," said Remus, and started laughing again. "If you're going home to the Burrow, you'll hear Molly's talking about you all the time,"

"And, she's talking about another couple too," Harry said, in a low voice.

"Who?" Ron asked.

"Me and Harry, stupid," Ginny said, laughing.

Ron looked at Harry with surprise. "You didn't tell me, Harry!"

Harry started to laugh too. "Well, I didn't know how you would react. I remember how you reacted when Ginny told you she was together with Michael Corner and Dean, so... I didn't dare, I didn't want you to kill me, mate," he said, with a spark in his eye.

"Hey, why would I do that?" Ron asked, shrugging. "She deserves the best, and you're a good fellow," he said, grinning.

The five of them sat for a while, remembering good times at Hogwarts. Lupin told them about the people they knew - Dumbledore, Tonks, Snape, Malfoy and all the others. After Voldemort's fall, the Order were tracking down old and new Death Eaters, with Dumbledore in the lead, and they had gotten quite a few of them.

They paid for the Butterbeer, and Ron, Hermione and Lupin went outside in the sunshine. Harry and Ginny were sitting inside The Hog's Head; they were planning something, but they wouldn't tell what.

"So, when you and Harry are finished with your training, you're welcome to the Order, helping us to catch the bad guys," Remus said.

"Of course we will," Ron said, hugging Remus. Hermione stood a little bit away, and she seemed shocked.

"What's the matter?" Remus asked, taking her hand.

"Well, I... oh, it's just to good to be true, Remus!" Hermione said, hugging him.

"Well, it is true, 'Mione," Ron said, taking his arm around her shoulders.

"Yes, I agree, Hermione, it's just fantastic. But that's one of the good things of living in the Wizard world - everything can be cured. You just have to be patient. For you two," Remus continued, smiling at Ron and Hermione, "it just took a little bit longer than I expected. I hope you'll be happy together."
Ron looked at Hermione, and she at him. "Yes. I think we will, Remus. Good bye!" Ron said, giving him a last handshake, and then Remus was away with a recognizable 'pop'.

Ginny and Harry came out from the Three Broomsticks, hand in hand.

"Aren't they sweet together?" Hermione whispered.

Yes, Ron had to agree; they were, actually, perfect together. Harry was a head taller than Ginny, and they had the same sense of humour, the same personality.. Ron couldn't think of anyone else who could match Ginny this way. Harry hadn't been this happy for a long time. Thanks to Ginny, Harry laughed again.

Ron looked down at Hermione, gave her a kiss and wrapped his arms around her. "They are perfect. Just like you and me, 'Mione," he said.

"Yes," Hermione said, "Just like you and me."

Ron cleared his throat. "Uhm, Hermione?" Hermione looked up to him. Her hair was shining in the sunlight.

"Yesterday night... I just wanted to say that it was... wonderful. And I just wanted to say..." Ron began. He felt he was sweating. Why did he have so much trouble of telling his feelings?

"What, Ron?" Hermione was now looking suspicious.

"Well, you told me you'd loved me since we were forth years. But I... I have loved you since the day Harry and I saved you from the troll, in our first year. When I saw you under the sink, so helpless and afraid, I just... melted. Then, when I'd rescued you, I just was in shock. I had saved you, Hermione, from a troll. And I was proud. But I didn't show it, in fear of being revealed.

"Until now I have kept one of my deepest secrets; I have loved you since I was eleven years old. And my feelings for you've just grown stronger and deeper. I love you Hermione, I love you."

A tear trickled down Hermione's face. "That was one of the most wonderful things I've ever heard, Ron," she said, taking his hand and kissing it, "and I love you, Ronald."

Ron was relived that he eventually had told Hermione about his feelings. He'd finally got the girl of his dreams, and life couldn't be better.

"Lets go home, take the day of, please, 'Mione," Ron said. "Do you want to come?" he asked Harry.

"No, we are going to go look for a nice house. We've actually thought to look at my parents' house... in Godric's Hollow. Its been rebuilt, and I've found out where they lived. Dumbledore helped me a bit, and found out that it's for sale. I'll talk to you later, mate," Harry said, giving Ron a clap on the back.

Ginny and Ron hugged each other. "I'm so happy for you," Ginny said to her brother.

"And I for you," Ron said. He heard two more 'pop', and he and Hermione were alone in Hogsmeade.

"I would love to take the day off, just for spending it with you, Ron" Hermione said, and took his hand.

"Then I hope you would spend all your days with me, Hermione, 'cause I love you, from the deepest of my heart." Hermione looked up at him, got up at tiptoe and gave him a deep kiss. It filled Ron with a lovely feeling, filling him to his fingertips. He knew he was the luckiest man in the Wizard World.

"Yes, Ron, I will. Forever."

Ron smiled. "I love you, Hermione. For now and forever."

A/N: Please, R/R. Hope you've enjoyed the story as much as I have with writing it.