Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Flight, Fright, and Fight by FaunaCaritas

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: If I owned Harry Potter I wouldn't be writing fan fiction.


A young woman ran the length of a dark, deserted London street and then halted, uncertain where to turn. Her breath was coming in short, ragged gasps and her blue eyes were dilated with fear. She drew a shaking hand across her face, sweeping back her long blond hair. The next moment she was gone, running down the left hand street, flickering through the patches of light and shadow like a ghost. A casual observer might have noticed a thin wooden stick in her hand, but a magical bystander would have recognized the birch-wood rod in an instant. The stick was a wand, and the girl was a witch—a witch running for her life.

A cry of hope escaped the girl’s parted lips when she rounded the last corner and glimpsed a door at the end of the street. A jet of green sparks from her wand hit the door moments before she hurled her own body against the carved wood. The locks and bolts held, protected by magic, but the hinges shattered as if they were made of glass and the girl stumbled into the room beyond. A man rose swiftly from an armchair by the fire, his own wand already drawn and directed towards the intruder. When he saw her face he instantly lowered his wand and stepped forward, concern written in every feature.

“What is wro—“

“Not, now! Get the door. Fix it. Pretend I am not here!”

He obeyed without another word, with the dexterity and speed born of necessity. The girl darted into the next room and closed the curtains with a flick of her wand. She also extinguished the candle on the table just as the man joined her in the kitchen.

“Conceal me!”

He touched her head with his wand and she melted from sight, the non-verbal Disillusionment charm rendering her next to invisible in the dark room.

“Wait one hour. If no one comes then I will explain,” she breathed. He felt rather then saw her move away to stand in a bare corner next to the grimy sink. He returned to the dusty front room and sat down before the grate. His smooth, pale face bore no trace of emotion and his deep black eyes reflected only the glowing coals on the hearth.

A moment later a bell on the table behind him chimed once. The man’s thin lips quirked upwards for an instant in a humorless grimace. This was going to be complicated. He sighed and glanced up at the clock on the mantle piece. Three minutes ticked by.

Voices echoed in the street outside, mixed with the hurried clatter of boots on the cobblestones. A thunder of blows rang out that practically shook the door off it’s newly mended hinges. The man by the fire rose and opened the door a crack.

“Oh, good evening,” he drawled lazily into the angry face before him, “to what do I owe the pleasure of your… visit?”

“Severus Snape, get out of my way,” snapped Lucius Malfoy, his already pale features white with furry, “I do not leave home late at night for my own amusement. I think my fool of a wife might have tried to play on your sympathies. But she won’t hide from me, ha! Now move, or I will ensure you will never do so again.”

“Lucius, Lucius,” replied Severus Snape, stepping aside and holding the door open, “you had but to ask. Come in, of course. Will your friends join us?”

Lucius Malfoy pushed his way angrily into the room, beckoning one of his companions to follow him. The rest hung back in the street out of the light; clearly they were ill at ease in Muggle London.

“I take it you intend to search my house, Lucius?” Severus inquired, his voice faintly mocking.

Lucius’ lip curled in an angry snarl. “Oh yes, I shall, in a moment or two. First I want to discuss a few matters with you that require explanation.”

“Go right ahead, friend, my time and attention are all yours.”

“Don’t call me friend,” spat Lucius, his gaze murderous, “I have no doubt you wish to be in my class of society, Snape, but that is an honor you shall never have. Half-bloods should learn to follow, not aspire to lead!” Severus’ eyes narrowed, but he said nothing. Only a fleeting glitter in his eyes betrayed his anger, and veiled amusement. I wonder what Voldemort would have to say to that one, Lucius. What an incautious remark to make! I will see to it that it reaches your master’s ears.

After a moment Lucius resumed. “Where to begin? Perhaps with your frequent disappearances and many excuses when I request your attendance. Your service to me and to the Dark Lord has been shabby of late, Snape, shabby! Furthermore you have begun to exceed my instructions and perform missions that I neither instructed you to undertake nor wished you to attempt. You are to cease all of these activities immediately, do you understand?”

“My dear Mr. Malfoy, permit me to ask, are these your instructions, or do they come from our Master?”

Lucius’ face darkened. “They are my orders Snape, and do not forget them.”

“Ah, but Mr. Malfoy,” Snape smiled, “I am sorry to say that I can not comply with your… wishes. You see, I am currently taking orders directly from the Dark Lord himself. I have been doing so for several months now. Didn’t he tell you?”

The ire in Lucius’ face vanished, to be replaced with pure astonishment. “He, he has been giving you…?”

“Yes, indeed. Things are not always as they seem, friend.”

Lucius collected himself as best he could. “Well then, I suppose no more need be said on that score. But the Dark Lord has never before taken a candidate into his service without informing the apprentice’s tutor. This is very unexpected.”

“Indeed.” Severus’ tone was clipped. His suavity was wearing thin. The man before him wore on his nerves, and the prospect of the imminent search of his kitchen was doing nothing for his temper. He watched Lucius hesitate and re-think the things he had intended to say. For a moment Lucius looked cautious; then he remembered why he had come. Venom returned to the eyes of the older Death Eater before him, venom mixed with burning jealously.

“There is still the matter of my wife.”

“And what ‘matter’ are you referring to, Lucius?”

“How well do you know my wife?”

“Tolerably well. We were in the same year at Hogwarts. She was the only Slytherin to continue to NEWT level Potions. We shared a desk in that class. I haven’t seen her much since we left school. That will have been, oh let me see, about three years ago now. As you so thoughtfully to pointed out earlier, your family moves in a very lofty circle. Why do you ask?”

“You know perfectly well why I ask,” hissed Lucius.

“I am not having an affair with your wife—if that is what you are asking—although how you bring yourself to even imagine such a thing I cannot even pretend to understand. If you will permit me to say so, it reflects terribly on your illustrious family standing.”

“Well, when I have searched the house we shall see if my suspicions are well grounded,” he snarled.

“Please, search. And I do hope you leave the place in one piece. I would rather not be up all night repairing my furniture.”

“We shall not harm a single stick of your wretched belongings,” Lucius replied, his voice suddenly silkily. He turned with a smirk to the Death Eater by the door. “Nott, have them bring in the Dementor.”

As practiced as Severus was in the arts of deception, he could not prevent his eyes from flickering at the mention of the horror of Azkaban. He now realized that the wizards in the street outside were restraining a creature that could not be fooled by a Disillusionment charm or cunningly spoken words. A Dementor could detect fear or any other emotion more easily then the keenest bloodhound in England could locate a festering deer-carcass in an empty field. Severus’ mind raced with panic at the thought, but his brain was rapidly becoming numb—numb with growing terror.

A chill crept along his arms and up his spine. Quite suddenly he realized his peril and with a mighty effort focused all his considerable skill in Occlumency towards closing his mind to the power of the creature that had glided into the room behind him. He could almost feel the rotting fingers trying to pry his mind open again, to enter and leech away his happy memories. No! he thought coolly to himself, I have too few good memories. You shall not take them.

The creature glided forward as Severus turned. He kept his face impassive as it halted, its hidden, sightless eyes turned towards him. It seemed satisfied, for it moved on, slowly circling the room. It descended the stairs to the cellar, leaving the two men alone briefly. When it returned it glided slowly towards the stairs that led to the two bedrooms upstairs. Again it drifted out of sight. Severus searched his brain desperately for a way to deceive the dark creature. Narcissa’s very life might be at steak.

When it returned the stench and loathsomeness of the creature almost robbed him of his senses. He followed it blindly as it floated towards the kitchen. Lucius followed, a smirk of satisfaction written plainly across his aristocratic features. Severus silently prayed that Narcissa would have the sense to use the smattering of Occlumency he had taught her at school to hide herself from the Dementor. He stretched out his own mind, trying to sense her fear or even her presence. The sickening clench in his chest tightened. She had failed to even slightly veil her presence.

With out a moment’s hesitation Severus obeyed his instincts—the instincts that were his by virtue of his deep understanding of the dark arts and dark creatures. He stepped in front of the Dementor and completely opened his mind. His last hope was to distract the creature, if only for a moment, from its search for Narcissa. If only he could give her time to move to another room, or even to gather her strength for a fight it would be enough. For an instant Severus had the sensation of being eyed by a famished animal, and then pure agony ripped through his brain as the creature swooped in to feed on his memories.

For an instant he recalled his mother, stooping over his little trundle bed, kissing him goodnight. “Sleep well, ‘Rus. I will call you early tomorrow. I know you will love Hogwarts, dear…” The memory suddenly vanished as the Dementor tore it away, fiendishly replacing it with his mother’s agonized face as she drew her last breath in the rubble of their burning home. Severus almost choked on a sob at the memory. He tried to recall something else, but found that the Dementor had leached all of his memories except those that made him want to drink a flagon of the Draught of Living Death. His mind screamed at him to fight the thing before him, to conjure a Patronus and banish it forever, but he grimly clung to the knowledge that Narcissa’s safety depended on deceiving her husband.

Lucius suddenly realized that his Dementor was attacking Severus. With an angry cry he whipped out his wand and forced the creature into the next room. He turned to Severus in the doorway, and a mixture of fury and superiority coloring his tone, “You imbecile! Why did you follow it? The thing wanted to feed. It must have been disappointed by finding no prey here. And surely you, the master of the dark arts, know the temperament of a starved Dementor? Why not produce that ridiculous Patronus of yours and defend yourself. A fine thing it would be if I had to report to the Dark Lord that his favorite Hogwarts spy was damaged by my Dementor! Fool, you could have been kissed if I hadn’t stepped in.” Severus felt too weak to answer, he merely nodded once and swayed precariously. In the next room Nott was using a flimsy Patronus to return the Dementor to the waiting wizards outside. Lucuis adjusted his dark traveling cloak and eyed Severus sarcastically.

“Well, I am satisfied that my wife is not here. If you see her, be sure to send me word. The girl is carrying my child, and she will not disgrace my family name by making a scandal.” His brow darkened. “And you, Snape, look like you should sit down. I never could have believed it possible, but you are paler then usual. I have not fed that Dementor in months, so it had a particularly nasty appetite. Do take care of yourself, master of the dark arts.” And with that parting shot he turned on his heel and left, slamming the heavy front door behind him. Severus fell to his knees, his mental and physical energies completely sapped away.

Only the light touch of a hand on his shoulder brought him back to reality. Narcissa had crept quietly to his side. He could feel her trembling next to him, but he could find no strength to raise the Disallusionment charm or even to speak a single word of reassurance. Nothing mattered anymore. He was a mere husk of a man—a breathing being without a spark of happy thought or the memory of a single smile to raise him from icy black despair.

“Severus, I t-think I am going to faint,” Narcissa whispered.

He turned blank eyes towards her voice, “I cannot help you,” he replied, his own voice feeble, “eat some chocolate. It will counter the effects of…” His eyelids fluttered he slumped forward towards the cold kitchen floor.

***

When he came to himself he was lying on a couch before the fire. Narcissa sat next to him on a low stool. She had been spooning hot coco into his mouth from a steaming goblet. Her pale face was drawn and anxious, and her normally silky hair was drawn back carelessly into a loose bun. He knew how fussy she was about her clothes, and so he was surprised to note that her robe was still splashed with mud and her expensive traveling cloak lay where she had dropped it on the sooty hearth.

All these things passed quickly through his mind. This Narcissa was so unlike the one he knew that he felt faint astonishment. Then the events of the evening returned to him in a rush and he sat up hastily, glancing around the room for any sign of Lucius or the Dementor.

“They are gone, Severus,” she said, rising and setting the goblet on the mantelpiece, “However, I was a bit worried about you for a moment there. I do not know what that Dementor did to you, Severus, but your action clearly put it off my track. Thank you for that. I could do nothing when I saw it come into the kitchen. I felt like I would never be happy again, and it didn’t matter if Lucuis found me or not. I almost gave myself up. Then you got between us and I was able to master myself long enough to wait until it had gone. But that thing has left me feeling so awful I think I would rather die then ever be in the same room with one again.”

She shivered. “Lucius has always threatened to set a Dementor on me if I ever displeased him. Tonight, when I refused to take the Dark Mark he made Nott bring that horrible thing into my room. I only just managed to Disapperate. I had no idea where I had Apperated to until I recognized the Thames. It is really a miracle I did not splinch myself. The first person I thought of was you, and I ran all the way here, not even knowing if you still lived at Spinner’s End. I am sorry if I put you in any danger, Severus, I did not stop to think tonight.”

She leaned her head against the carved wood, her thin fingers clutching the dark mahogany and her body tense from the stress she had undergone in so short a space of time. Severus rose to his feet and looked down into her drawn face, “The danger means nothing to me, Narcissa, do not think on that. What you need to consider now is what is best to be done. You cannot stay here beyond tonight. You must either return to your husband or disappear forever.”

“How can I do either?” she asked, her voice steady now, but heavily laced with worry, “Lucius will continue to terrorize me if I return to him, and he will continue to insist that I take the Dark Mark. Of late he has become obsessed with bringing the Dark Lord more followers. He has fallen from favor, as you know, and he is convinced that this is the only way to win the Dark Lord’s approval. On the other hand, how can I flee now? I am pregnant and I have no money of my own. Lucius will have taken care that I can withdraw nothing from Gringott’s by this time. He will also have all of the International Portkeys watched, so I cannot leave the country by magic. What can I do, Severus?”

He stood regarding her, considering carefully what she had said. She waited patiently, watching his thin face pensively and now and again looking back into the glowing red embers at her feet.

Narcissa’s breath came normally, but now and again she passed her hand protectively across midriff, as if to reassure the child within her. She was not showing yet, but Severus could still sense a change in her—a change that would have told him without words that she was expecting. Her magic was stronger now, and she had grown into a woman. The childish lines about her mouth were gone, and deep in her eyes he could detect the spirit that belongs only to a mother. Part of her soul had changed forever. She had given life to another, and now that life was part of her own.

“Listen to me, Narcissa,” he began slowly, “If you wish I can teach you to defend yourself from the Dementor. But if you return to Lucius you must teach him that two can play his game. You must use all your Slytherin cunning to best him. I have known you both for many years. Narcissa, you are more powerful then Lucius—your magic is richly subtle and far more developed then his will ever be. You feel and think in ways he is unable to imagine. You could quite easily rule your foolish husband if you put your mind to it. You need to turn your magic against him just enough to protect yourself from his bullying, but not enough to make him want to kill you. Oh yes, Lucius can fire off a Killing Curse just as easily as the next wizard, but if you are wise you can always turn aside his temper or change his mind on any matter of importance. Why do you stand aside, a powerful witch with no lack of brains and skill, and let Malfoy push you around like a puppet? You do not need my protection in this matter.”

She listened to him, and when he finished she nodded once in answer. She thought in silence for a few minutes, her eyes still on the fire. At last she drew her wand and ran her fingers lovingly down the white beech-wood surface, “I see that you are right, Severus,” she murmured, “Lucius shall learn to respect my wishes. Teach me how to banish the Dementor and I will take care of the rest. Lucius shall not try to harm me physically, for he knows that I am pregnant, and he does not wish to hurt his heir. I will learn to out-think him, Severus.”

“Why did you ever let him get the better of you in the first place?” he asked, curiosity getting the better of his habitual reserve.

“Well,” she sighed, “My family arranged this marriage for me, and I bitterly resented being forced into it. Lucius knew how much I detested the idea, but he married me anyway. Somehow, when I became his wife, I felt like nothing really mattered any more. I just slipped into a new life, and tried to forget the old one… to forget Hogwarts, and to forget…” she trailed away into silence, but her she slowly raised her eyes to his. Severus made no move, and she dropped her eyes again.

“But everything has changed now,” she said, her voice low and clear, “my child shall never have a Death Eater for a mother. I know what it is like. This child will never will never suffer that curse.” Her eyes were now dark with anger and determination.

“Well, Narcissa, I shall teach you to ward off Dementors, and then I shall let you deal with your foolish husband.” She nodded tersely in response. “The incantation is Expecto Patronum,” he continued, drawing his wand and demonstrating the proper movement of the hand and wrist. She copied him carefully, and after a few corrections mastered the pronunciation and the pattern of the spell.

“A Patronus requires more then the mere form and words that many weaker spells rely upon,” Severus explained, “I have rarely seen a witch or wizard produce a proper one because the key element is beyond the average witch or wizard’s power. When the incantation is spoken the caster must be recalling a powerfully happy memory or thinking of something that makes them feel happy. These memories or thoughts are powerful experiences that call vast stores of magical energy to an individual’s aid. Now, think carefully to select the most powerful memory you posses, and remember, sometimes the obvious choice us not the right one.”

Narcissa bowed her head. “I have very few happy memories Severus,” she said softly. He took one long stride forward and sized her wrist, “Stop feeling sorry for yourself, girl, or you will never posses the backbone necessary to make it through your marriage, let alone the war ahead of us.” She wrenched her wrist out of his grasp, and he was pleased to see indignation on her face in the place of self-pity. The later frame of mind was far better then the first.

Narcissa squared her shoulders, “I was very happy when we were together at Hogwarts,” she said stiffly.

“That memory is useless, Naricssa. It has been tainted by everything that has happened since Lucius entered your life.”

Her expression changed. She thought about his words for a moment or two. Then he saw her hand steal to her belly again, and he knew that she had chosen wisely.

“Yes, Narcissa. The best memories are the ones that bear no selfish feelings for ones self. Think of the child, and you will be pleased with your Partonus.”

She smiled, and Severus saw, in the curve of her lips and the light in her eyes, the girl he had known at Hogwarts—the young witch of so much promise and life who had held his heart captive until their seventh year, when her family promised her to another. He no longer loved her the way he had four years ago. Life had been too cruel to him since then. He still cared about her—still wanted her to be safe and happy—but the knowledge that she belonged to another man had put to an end to all his hopes of making her his own. How long ago it seemed, the day he had walked away, leaving her crying in the February snow. Severus was no longer bitter towards her. Life had shaped their destinies long before he had learned to love her. He was detached now, but he wished he had not been so unkind to her all those years ago.

“See if you can produce the Patronus,” he told her, stepping back.

Her attempts produced a few strong puffs of silver gas, but no corporeal Patronus. “Let me watch you, please,” she pleaded.

“You are not making any mistakes. You just aren’t focusing hard enough.”

“Please,” she repeated, touching his arm.

Severus sighed impatiently and closed his eyes. Dumbledore was looking down on him, a scruffy twelve year-old, with dirt on his robes and leaves in his hair. “You battled that Acromantula famously, young Snape. Quite foolish of you to venture into the forest for rare potions ingredients… I seem to remember something about it being Forbidden and all that. But really, I have never seen a second year who commanded such an astounding array of curses, hexes, or jinxes in my entire—and considerably extended—life. I didn’t even bother to interfere. You had the situation completely under control. Well, Severus, you have quite a bit of talent. I shouldn’t be surprised if you went on to very great things…” Severus spoke the incantation and opened his eyes. His giant silver bat was frolicking around the rafters and swooping playfully at the candle.

Narcissa smiled, “I might have guessed,” she commented shortly. Then she raised her own wand. Her hand resting on her belly, she spoke the words slowly and clearly. Something huge burst forth from her wand. For a moment Severus shielded his eyes from the intense silver light. “Oh, look,” she breathed, “it is perfect, Severus.”

A female polar bear circled Narcissa protectively, as if she had been one of her own cubs. The creature’s muscles rolled beneath its shining hide and its huge paws could have killed a man with a single blow. Severus smiled. Lucuis would be surprised by his wife’s unexpected pet the next time he tried to set a Dementor on her.

“Your maternal instincts are very strong,” he replied, gesturing towards the great beast, “the bear is noted for its habit of passionately defending its young. The polar bear is especially suited to you. I do not think you have anything to fear now.”

“No,” she replied, as the two beasts slowly faded from sight, “I shall return to Lucius, now. I will begin to fight for myself again. This child has given me hope, Severus.”

“Good,” he replied, taking her hand, “Come to me again if you or your child ever need my assistance.”

“I will.”


~~FIN~~