Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Potentially Problematic by beauty and brains

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A Note From Ashley: If anyone is interested, this one-shot will possibly lead into a very long chapter story and its sequel. Possibly. Tell me if you like the idea…

Verity sat with her back to the bar, looking out the large window onto Hogsmeade’s winding street. It was two weeks before Christmas, and everyone was trying to finish up with their holiday shopping. She watched as mums hurried small children wrapped up like Eskimos from shop to shop, slipping and sliding across icy patches. It was also the Christmas Hogsmeade trip for Hogwarts students. The streets were crowded, but Verity liked it this way. Normally the small village was too quiet.



The girl, who was fresh out of Hogwarts, was seated in The Three Broomsticks. Turning back to the bar, Verity asked for her mug to be refilled. She would definitely need more than one hot chocolate before facing the snow covered street that awaited her. Calgary, the young bartender who worked alongside Rosmerta, smiled and handed her a small bowl of tiny marshmallows to put in her drink.



“Having any luck finding a new job, Verity?” Calgary asked, pulling out a clean white cloth to polish the gleaming bar.



Leaning forward, Verity could see her reflection in the cherry wood. Thick yellow curls almost brushed her shoulders and brown eyes that nearly bordered on being too large stared back up at her. Bringing her hot drink to her mouth, Verity replied, “Not at all. No one has a position open! I’ve just been living with Mum in the cottage down the way.” Gulping her hot chocolate, Verity appreciated the way it warmed her insides, all the way down to her toes. She would soon have to return to the blistering cold to scope out a new occupation.



“I hear that the girl down at Zonko’s quit. Perhaps you would be interested in checking into it,” Calgary offered, taking the now empty mug from Verity. With a flick of her wand, the bartender sent it back to the kitchens.



Nodding, Verity gathered her winter cloak and threw it over her shoulders. “Perhaps I will. Thanks for the chat Calgary!” Placing four Knuts on the counter, Verity smiled at her old friend from Hogwarts before making her way out the door into the snow covered lane.



The wind had died down, leaving Hogsmeade in a soft blanket of snow. To Verity, it looked like the cover of a Christmas card. She pulled her cloak tightly around her and began making her way to Zonko’s, hoping the owner hadn’t already filled the position.



Zonko’s was just coming into view when Verity passed Honeydukes Sweet Shop. The warm toffee smell rushed out as a group of Hufflepuff third years exited. Verity grinned at the young girls with gold badges. She missed her old house.



Knowing she wouldn’t take long, Verity opened the door and began making her way through the packed sweet shop. When she reached the shelves that held the glass jars of toffee, she had to levitate one down because she couldn’t get close enough to lift it down herself. Placing a few pieces into the brown bag she had taken from the stand by the door, she pushed her way through the students.



The peanut butter toffees did the trick and kept Verity warm as she continued down the street to Zonko’s. Just as she reached the door, she heard a shout from behind and quickly looked over her shoulder. Half a second later, Verity was upended into a large pile of wet snow. Shrieking loudly, the blonde tried to regain her footing but her boots wouldn’t stick due to the icy path. Verity could feel the snow soaking her cloak.



Two gloved hands, one neon pink and the other lime green reached down and hauled her to her feet. Verity brushed at her backside, dusting off the clumps of snow. That was just what she needed, to be soaking wet when in minutes she would be applying to a job. She growled under her breath.



“Thanks for knocking me on my arse,” Verity snapped without looking up, using her wand to dry herself off. She heard two identical chuckles and looked up, placing her hand on her now dry hip. Her eyes were met with two heads full of red hair and a bright array of freckles. Two pairs of lively brown eyes sparkled behind strawberry lashes and wide pearly grins lit up each face.



“Fred Weasley,” said the twin with the blindingly pink gloves as he shook her hand.



“And George Weasley,” exclaimed the next, pumping her arm wildly. “Hogwarts’ current Managers of Mischief and professional arse-knockers!”



Verity rolled her eyes and tried to hide a small grin. She remembered these two from her own Hogwarts days, and to her, they hadn’t changed a bit. She was two years older than the two boys, but she had witnessed more than enough of their pranks.



“Verity Johnstone,” she replied, crossing her arms. “Victim of being trampled by a pack of rampaging badgers when two prats decided to liven up the Hufflepuff common room last year.”



“Ah, yes, about that,” the one she took as Fred stuttered, looking appropriately remorse. “See, we were actually after Diggory for beating Harry out of the second task in the Triwizard Tournament…” He suddenly drifted off and looked at his brother.



Verity knew exactly why he had stopped. It was common knowledge throughout the student body that she and Cedric Diggory had once harbored feelings for each other during their sixth year, a year before he was killed. She had been shocked at his death, but unlike many, had not written it off as simply an accident. She knew that there had been much more to his death, but she was not entirely sure she was ready to accept Dumbledore’s explanation. She supposed she would just have to wait and see, but until then, Verity had promised herself not to dwell on the past. She had moved past the tragedy that had occurred less than a year ago, and she decided that she had come out better because of it. She was now exposed to grief and death, no longer the little girl she had been. She now understood what was out there, and no one could protect you from it. No one but yourself.



Smiling tensely, Verity shook her head, indicating that they hadn’t hurt her by mentioning her old boyfriend. The two boys shuffled their feet almost bashfully before pulling open the door for her.



The three walked into the busy shop before parting ways, the twins to the products lining the shelves and Verity to the front desk.



Standing behind the large counter was a jolly looking man with a giddy smile on his face. He was well filled out, and looked as though he still had his baby cheeks. If Verity had to take a guess, she would say that he looked around mid-forties. Shuffling to the end of the black counter, she waited patiently until the line died down.



“Good afternoon, Mr. Zonko,” Verity said pleasantly and shook the man’s hand firmly. The chestnut haired man grinned boyishly and asked if she needed help with anything.



“No sir, but I was wondering if you had any positions open here at your store. See, I’m a Hogwarts alumnus now, but there haven’t been any job openings in the village lately, and I heard from a friend down at the bar that you might have something available.” Verity clasped her hands behind her back and bounced on the balls of her feet. She really needed the job to help her mum out with money.



“Hmm,” Mr. Zonko said, scratching his little stubble of beard. “And what house where ye in over at Hogwarts?” he questioned.



Verity wondered whether this were a trick question. “Hufflepuff,” she answered timidly.



Fifteen minutes later, Verity exited the shop sporting a large grin and instructions to open the shop at exactly nine o’clock the next morning. Hearing a familiar shout, she turned around just in time to dodge out of the two red heads’ way before she was knocked over again. They were swinging their purchases wildly as they ran at top speed down the lane, closely followed by a group of hulking boys in green ties. An odd smell drifted on the breeze as the boys passed her.



Hurrying to catch up, she jogged after the group, which had entered Honeydukes. Turning her head quickly, she saw the Slytherins doing the same. Spotting a neon glove, she watched it disappear behind the large counter. Quietly slipping through the shoppers, she crept undetected past the owner, who was behind the counter, and into the back of the shop. Stepping lightly down the wooden stairs, she crouched down to see where the two mischief makers had disappeared to. She was met with two sturdy wands pointed directly at her face.



“Easy! Don’t hex me, I’m a good guy!” she squeaked, holding both of her palms skyward. The two boys looked at her suspiciously before lowering their wands. She walked slowly down the rest of the creaky steps and faced the twins. “Why were a pack of meaty Slytherins chasing you?”



Fred and George grinned. “Well, George here had the bright idea to try out Zonko’s new brand of--”



“Deluxe Dungbombs, a new shipment just in,” George finished for his brother. “Our closest targets happened to be an unfriendly group of Slytherins.”



Shaking her head, Verity tried to restrain a snort. “By the looks of things, they didn’t take to well to being your volunteers?”



The threesome spent quite awhile chatting in the basement of Honeydukes before the twins declared that they needed to get back to the castle. Verity expected them to walk back up the stairs, and was shocked when they lifted up a piece of the floor. Winking, Fred told her about the secret passageway, but asked her not to mention it to anyone, and she acquiesced.



As Fred descended into the black tunnel, George (or the one she took to be George, seeing as he was wearing the green gloves) lowered himself halfway through before asking, “Will we be seeing you anytime soon, Verity?” His smile was genuine, his eyes twinkling.



Verity felt a small twitch in her stomach but brushed it away and answered, “Oh, I suppose you might if you visit Zonko’s on your next Hogsmeade visit.” When he gave her a questioning look, she smiled and said, “I’m working there now. That’s why I went into the shop today, to apply for a job. Mr. Zonko hired me on the spot!” She was met with a wide smile and knew she felt a small flutter behind her bellybutton. Grinning shyly, she continued, “So I guess I will be seeing a lot of you two, since you’re such brilliant pranksters.” She used a bit of emphysis on brilliant.



“Oh, believe me darling, you will be seeing a lot of me, with or without my charming brother. You can count on it!” With a small wink, he disappeared beneath the trap door, leaving an eighteen year old girl feeling like a giddy First Year with a schoolgirl crush.



[*][*][*]




“That’ll be seven Sickles and three Knuts,” Verity said at top speed as she rang up the shopper’s purchases. There was a long line, and she couldn’t ring people up fast enough. She had known the Hogwarts days were going to be hell, but not to this extent. The line just seemed to be getting longer.



Not to mention she was in a particularly bad mood. The entire village had been decorated with mushy hearts and other disgusting items in honour of Valentines Day. Verity had no idea as to why she was so venomous to the holiday, when in her school days she had always looked forward to it. She supposed it had to do with not having anyone to spend that day with other than her giddy boss, whom she definitely didn’t see in that kind of light. He was over twenty years her senior, and while she admitted he was a good looking man for his age, she could not imagine spending her Valentine’s Day with him, in a romantic way at least. Not to mention he’s married with twins of his own, Verity thought, soundly reminded of Fred and George.



“Verity!” a booming shout echoed from the back of the shop. Turning her head, she handed the person’s change back while yelling she’d be back in a minute.



After three more customers, she put up the Be Back in a Moment sign and hurried down the steps into the storage room. “Yes?” she asked, her breath coming in and out heavily.



“This here is a special delivery for a Mr. Weasley and another Mr. Weasley,” Mr. Zonko said, handing her a large brown paper bag filled to the top with new products that had yet to hit the shelves yet. “I asked that the two didn’t pick it up in the shop, and they suggested that my assistant bring it out to them at The Three Broomsticks,” he said with a jovial gleam in his eye. “Mr. George Weasley sounded a bit eager for you, so I suggest you take your lunch break as well. I’ll handle the crowds until you’re done.” He smiled knowingly as Verity blushed a deep shade of red.



Taking the bag, she exited the back of the storage room and headed down the back alley until she had to cross the road. Looking out, she could see the great towers of Hogwarts and felt a longing from her old home. She had been so much happier there, even with the overhang of Cedric’s death, than she now was, living with her mum.



She reached The Three Broomsticks and pushed open the pub door to reveal a loud and joyful atmosphere. She could see Calgary working behind the bar and waved as she made her way to a pair of redheads whom were occupying two stools. Plopping down next to them, she was met with two identical grins, which she returned. She had been looking forward to this day.



“So, which is which?” she asked, handing the closest one the bag. She noticed the twins were dressed the same, from the top of their hats to the tips of their boots.



“Fred,” said the twin she was sitting next to. Verity quickly wished she had sat on the other side. Turning to Calgary, she ordered a Gin and Tonic. The two boys smirked at her choice of drink. She remembered that they were still in school, therefore only allowed Butterbeer and the occasional Mulled Mead. Blushing, she accepted her drink.



Her old friend brought out a small shot of whiskey for the Warlock sitting three stools down before turning to Verity and saying, “Your two friends here were trying to chat up Rosmerta. I must admit they did a much better job than their brother over there,” she pointed with her rag to a tall, gangly redhead next to a boy Verity recognized as Harry Potter. As usual, the two were in company of Granger. Verity noticed Potter had a rather surly look about him before turning back to her company.



The three of them enjoyed grilled cheeses and good conversation for over an hour. They had just gotten started on how the two were hoping to open a joke shop when they left Hogwarts before Verity remembered that she had to be back at work. Gathering her winter cloak, she pulled it around her and said goodbye to Calgary and the twins. She really hated having to leave so soon. She really did like their company, and wished she had gotten some time to speak to George one on one. She hadn’t felt butterflies in her stomach since Cedric had passed away. Although, she did notice the nagging in her mind, reminding her that the two boys were not yet of age. She pushed it away, knowing that everything they had done had been purely innocent, no matter what her pet butterflies said.



Paying Calgary for her meal, she prepared to walk out into the wet cold when she felt a pull on her arm. Turning around, she came eye to eye with the boy who made her heart thump rather oddly.



“Yes?” she asked, moving to the side so as to get out of the doorway.



“I was wondering, do you think maybe we could get together sometime? Maybe the next Hogsmeade trip?” His eyes sparkled with hope and Verity could feel her butterflies begin a conga line in her stomach. She smiled widely and felt her cheeks turn pink in pleasure.



“Yeah, that would be great!” She almost punched herself for sounding like such a giddy schoolgirl. Wasn’t she supposed to be the older, the more mature? Hoping he didn’t notice her outburst, she smoothed a hand over her blonde ringlets.



“Really? Ace!” said the redhead in excitement, and Verity felt a tingle run up her spine. “You know,” he continued, “I might be able to sneak out, since the next trip isn’t for a couple months…”



“You would sneak out?” Verity asked with wide eyes. Her question was answered with a naughty smirk.



“Send me an owl whenever you want to get together. I’ll be free.” And with that, he stepped closer to kiss her cheek. Verity felt her neck and ears glow red when his lips grazed the corner of her mouth, a little closer than he intended. Or perhaps, she thought when he pulled away, that had been his plan all along.



She watched as he motioned for his twin and they both left the shop, holding the large brown bag and sporting mischievous looks. She couldn’t wait for her off day to spend with George!



[*][*][*]




Outside The Three Broomsticks, Fred grinned widely, but refused to tell George that he had just kissed one of the cutest girls he had ever met. He knew Verity had expected for his mouth to touch her cheek, but he could tell that she hadn’t been displeased.



He hoped the two of them would be able to spend an enjoyable day together, whenever she sent him an owl. He would have to make up some excuse for where he had been that day though. He didn’t plan on telling his brother about his plans. He had seen the way George looked at Verity, and he didn’t like it, at all.



[*][*][*]




George was just finishing his eggs and kippers Saturday morning when a large dusty owl landed in front of him, knocking his orange juice onto his brother’s robes.



“Lovely to make your acquaintance, too,” Fred said irritably to the owl before grabbing his bag to go change into another set of robes. George shook his head before reaching over and taking the letter than was addressed to him. The owl stole the last of his bacon before flying off.



Dear George,



I know I haven’t gotten to talk to you that much lately, but today is my first free weekend, so I was wondering if you would like to come into Hogsmeade. It wouldn’t take all of your day up, I promise, and I’m sure you have a lot of pranking, what with Umbridge causing that entire bit of raucous up at the school. If you are able to get out of school, I’ll be in The Three Broomsticks at around 11 o’clock today.



Verity




George could feel his heart speeding up and his face broke into a mad smile. He had shared a few looks with Verity and had thought she was very attractive, but he had no idea she had felt the same way about him. He suddenly felt like dancing. Stuffing the note into his robes, he made sure that he would watch the clock today, since all he would be doing was hanging out in the common room. The cold had disappeared to be replaced by heavy rains. Today was one of the first bright days in the past few weeks, but the ground was still muddy, which was why he wouldn’t be at the lake threatening to feed first years to the giant squid.



He figured he wouldn’t mention it to Fred. He wanted it to just be him and Verity for once.



[*][*][*]




Fred climbed the stairs in a better mood than the circumstances would suggest. Not even having his best set of school robes ruined could harm him right now. Early this morning, he had sent an owl to Verity, asking if she was free this weekend and gotten an immediate reply saying that she was. A grin had taken up permanent residence on his handsome face.



[*][*][*]




Verity could see a tiny owl, no bigger than the palm of her hand, flying toward her window. Opening it quickly, she saw it was a note asking if she was free today. It didn’t have a signature, but she knew who it was from. Only George would be coy enough to try and keep her guessing. He was, after all, a Manager of Mischief, she thought with a giggle. She had to calm the weensy owl down before tying her reply back to his leg. Verity supposed he had sent this before her owl had reached him in the Great Hall, and she felt a pleasant feeling floating around in her stomach. He must have been thinking about her.



Walking over to her closet, Verity could hear her mum moping around the kitchen in their small cottage on the outskirts of the village. Her parents had just gone through a nasty divorce, but all of Verity’s sympathies lay with her Muggle father, Benji Johnstone. Knowing her mum was about to put on a pot of tea with a few drops of Firewhiskey, she stayed in her room. She knew her mum was in one of her moods.



Pulling on a pair of blue jeans, she completely understood why her father had thought it entirely inadequate for her wardrobe to only consist of robes. The jeans were comfortable, and she was able to move much more freely in them. Many of the younger generations of witches and wizards wore them on the weekends and when going out in Muggle inhabited areas. They drew far less attention than a long set of school robes.



Adding only a dash of mascara, Verity thanked Merlin that she wasn’t having a spot attack, before grabbing her old school bag and making her way into the kitchen.



“Mum, I’m going out for the day.”



Her statement received no reply, but Verity walked straight out the front door, allowing it to slam behind her. A day outside of the cottage would be nice. She hated having to come home to her mum, but it was the easier than having to pay rent on a room at The Three Broomsticks.



Patting her worn out leather book bag, she ran her finger lovingly over the Hufflepuff badger in the corner before setting off to find the new bookstore that had just opened. She was in the mood for a romance novel.



At a quarter to eleven, Verity made her way to The Three Broomsticks to find it as busy as the pub usually got on regular week days. Travelers, important Ministry personnel, and regular townspeople were all sitting cozily at different tables scattered throughout the pub. A group of old Warlocks sat at the bar, conversing with Rosmerta.



Taking a seat in the corner but with a clear view of the door, Verity pulled out her paperback book. It depicted a rather young couple riding on horseback through the Irish countryside. Verity delved right in.



About fifteen minutes later, Verity jumped when someone tapped her on the shoulder. Looking up, she saw her date grinning as if he had just caught the cat in the cream.



“Didn’t know you fancied that sort of rubbish,” he said humourously, nudging the cover of the book. Verity blushed deeply, quite embarrassed. She quickly stuffed the book down to the bottom of her bag.



“But,” he continued, “I must agree that redheaded males do get on quite good with blondes.” He was referring to the cover, and he chuckled loudly when Verity put up a hand to hide her face. Reaching over the table, she felt his hand clasp over hers. His palm was rough, calloused. They felt good holding hers.



“So, you got out of school okay? I don’t want to get you in trouble,” Verity said, looking around the bar for anyone familiar who would recognize that her date was only a schoolboy.



“Nah, it was easy,” he said, letting Verity assume he snuck out of the castle quite often.



Thinking of what his twin must have thought, Verity asked, “Fred didn’t mind being left alone then?”



“What? You mean George?” Her date had a very confused look on his face.



Verity knitted her eyebrows together. “What?”



“I’m not George,” he said, as the doorbell gave off a soft ring.



“What about me?” asked the twin, walking through the door. He stopped in his tracks. “Fred? What are you doing here?” He looked back and forth between Verity and his brother. Verity looked dazed at the two.



“Okay, which one of you is George?” she asked, feeling a headache coming on. Something wasn’t right. The twin who had just come through the pub doors raised his hand before walking over. Nodding, she turned to the one who was obviously Fred and questioned, “How come you are here?”



“What do you mean ‘why am I here’? I asked you on a date the last Hogsmeade trip, and you said yes!” He glared angrily at his brother and date. “Why is George here?”



“Wait…you, Fred, asked me on Valentines Day for us to meet up?” Pieces were starting to click in Verity’s mind, but the full puzzle was still a bit murky.



George pulled a folded piece of parchment out of his robes and Verity recognized her own handwriting on the front, addressing it to George. He held it out to his brother, who read it quickly. “Why would you invite George on a date when I asked you out today?” He directed his question to Verity, and she noted the bite hidden in his words.



Suddenly, everything began to come together. She had thought George had been the one to ask her on a date that day in the pub, and he had been the one who had kissed her. All the while she had been lusting after George and had written for him to meet her today, when it had been Fred who had sent the tiny owl to her! Feeling a wave of embarrassment crash over her, Verity began giggling madly. The situation was so absurd it was actually hysterical!



The twins stared at her as if she had just declared she was a man in disguise who stalked little schoolboys. George lowered himself down next to his brother and over the course of twenty minutes the two got the story figured out. The three of them ended up laughing all over again.



“So, Verity, which one of us do you really like?” Fred asked, pressing his frosty Butterbeer to his lips. George nodded along while guzzling his own drink.



“Well…I’m sorry boys, but this entire thing has just completely weirded me out. I think I’ll just go off men for awhile, if that’s all right with you two.” Verity crossed her fingers under the table, praying that neither of them would be upset. She enjoyed both of their company, but it would just be too awkward, at least for a little while.



George cocked an eyebrow. “You’re saying you’re going to turn into a Sapphist now, is that it?” Fred let out a raucous snort that had Butterbeer shooting from his nose and Verity swatting the pair of them round the head.



To her, this had turned out better than she had hoped, because instead of gaining a boyfriend, she had just received two great and truly hysterical friends. And who knows, maybe one day if they really did open their joke shop, she’d be able to come around more often. But, she thought as they ordered another round of Butterbeers to chug, she would definitely learn how to tell them apart first.