Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Go Be My Hero by LilykinsLove

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is my first-ever gauntlet entry!

Disclaimer: I own none of this! Only Argnal, but he's really a character in desguise, so... :D

Ginny Weasley sighed. It had been a long summer, the imminent face of death and disaster constantly staring them all in the face. Her parents had been strict and worrisome, not letting her out of their sight, and checking on her constantly. Fred and George were moved temporarily back into the house, and Bill and Fleur wouldn’t be buying their own until that fall. Ginny was cramped and bored inside the Weasley residence.



She hadn’t received a letter from Harry in weeks, though she got one from Hermione the week before, and one from Ron the week before that. They were all vague and short, telling her that everything was okay and to stay inside. Ginny pronounced them both gits and threw their letters away. Only letters from Harry would ever tell her anything.



Ginny sat up on her bed. Looking at her desk, she saw three things: that morning’s post of the Daily Prophet and two Chocolate Frog cards. Searching her mind for the reason the paper was in her room, she walked over to it, and sat down at her desk chair. Noticing a headline, she sighed once again. Harry Potter, Gone for good? she scanned the first few lines of the article and rolled her eyes at the rubbish. Harry wouldn’t desert the wizarding community in the middle of a war! How preposterous.



Glancing at the two Chocolate Frog cards beside her, she picked one up and studied the wizard on it. Grindlewald. How fitting. Here she was, thinking about the current muddle the wizarding world was in, and he turns up on the dresser. Right next to an article that he’s mentioned in, no less! Is Albus Dumbledore just trying to add another dark wizard to his trophy board? Ginny was starting to loathe the Daily Prophet.



Ginny frowned, looking down at the Grindlewald card in her hands. The edges of the card had black dots on them, and around the dots the card was fading, as if there was something underneath. She licked her thumb and rubbed furiously on the top of the card. Whoosh her stomach was pulled forward, followed closely behind by the rest of her body. She was spinning around in a mixture of colors and lights, and then, nothing.



She landed hard on a patch of wet grass, and as far as she could see, there was nothing around her. Nothing, that is, but darkness. She was surrounded by it, and something told her that she should be ready for anything. A chill swept over her body, and she was suddenly overtaken by a feeling of despair and fright. She pulled herself to her feet and pulled her wand out of her wand pocket, ingeniously sewed into the seam of her jeans by her mum. You never knew when you were going to need it these days.



Bending her knees slightly, she slowly pivoted around. She took a step forward, and the twelve inches of grass behind her disappeared as her visibility was lengthened in front of her. Ginny started to shake. “Hello,” she called out, “is anyone there?” But her only answer was a far-away crack of lightning, illuminating the landscape around her for a mere second. She closed her eyes as the rain started to pour.



“There’s something dark here.” Ginny thought, “I know there is.”



Suddenly, a resounding boom shook the earth, knocking Ginny to her feet.



“If Voldemort’s hand is not in this, then my name isn’t Ginerva Weasley.”



Ginny stood up, turned in the opposite direction of the earlier lightning strike, and ran. She was soon ambushed by a gaggle of tree limbs and leaves whapping her in the face. Cursing under her breath, she whispered “Lumos.”



Looking around, she found herself in a dense forest, and not wanting to turn back to the barren plain, she stumbled on.



Suddenly, Ginny knew she was safer then before. The shelter provided by the trees prevented the rain from falling on her, and any sound made around her, such as snapping twigs or rustling leaves, would alert her to another’s presence. The profound darkness that had settled on her before seemed less apparent among the trees, for they gave off a sort of glow. Ginny let out a breath she did not know that she had been holding.



She walked straight ahead for over thirty minutes, pleading to Merlin that she was going in the direction of safety. Her prayers were soon answered as she tripped fell to the top of a steep slope that lead into a wide valley. Bugger. she thought, looking down at herself. The front of her was now covered with dirt from her fall, and there was nothing she could do about it, for any thought of cleaning charms evaded her. Just when she was about to give up and sit down, there was a deep, rumbling noise that shook the ground. She looked down into the valley.



Bugger it all! It’s giants!



There were three, very large inhabitants of the area ahead. Two men and a woman sat in a circle around a large bonfire, picking what Ginny assumed to be human bones out of their teeth and flicking them aside. A large shiver ran down her spine. How was she going to get out of this one?



Just then, Ginny realized that while it was lighter than the other side of the forest, it was still dark! A disillusionment charm would work! Ginny wracked her mind for the charm and- ah ha! I’ve got it! she was blended into the background. Skidding down the embankment, she hoped the giants didn’t have a good sense of smell. But as she had no choice but to carry on, she paused when she reached the bottom, waiting for a sign that meant they had heard her, and when she saw none, she sprinted around the edge, breathing hard.



Ginny grinned halfway there- she just might get herself home.



Running across the small valley, Ginny felt a twig snap under her feet. I’m getting closer to the other side Ginny thought, reasoning that the twig’s presence meant that the next section of the forest was up ahead. Slowing her pace to a jog, Ginny squinted her eyes and grinned as the flat ground beneath her started to slope upwards. Yes, she thought.



Ginny collapsed at the top of the slope. Breathing heavily, she pulled herself into a sitting position to rest for awhile. The giants were now lumbering off in the way that she had come- off into the utter darkness. She still had no clue what- or where- was back there, only that she was glad to be gone. Standing up, she turned to survey her surroundings. A loud pop adverted her attention to the trees to the left of her. Someone yelped.



“You! Who are you?”



Ginny reached for her wand- but it wasn’t there.



“Who are you ?”



“I asked first!”



“Ginny!”



“Argnal Taunt the Fourth!”



Ginny started firing questions, “Why are you here? Where are we?”



“Why am I here? Why are you here? I have every right to be here! I practically own here! Where are we? No where! Everywhere! The mountains! The valley! The ocean!” Here, Argnal stepped toward Ginny and gestured to his right. A vast ocean spread out endlessly. How did she not notice that before? Argnal stepped closer still. “How did you get here?” he asked, sounding genuinely concerned. Ginny could now completely see him. He had long, silver hair that fell to the ground, even though it was doubled over and pinned to his head, arching eyebrows that gave him a questioning look, and a thin, prim mouth. His clothing was odd for a wizard- it was more muggle clothing than anything, except, of course, for the large grey wizard hat that he currently was taking off of his head and tucking between him and his arm.



“I- I accidentally picked up a portkey. Well, I didn’t know it was a portkey. It was just a chocolate frog card, I-



Argnal swept close to Ginny. “You mean to say, you’ve got a portkey to here too?”



“What do you mean, too ? Is that how you get here?”



“Why of course it is! Well, it was the first time. But now since I’ve been here before, I can apparate here! I have a sneaking suspicion that there has been a certain amount of these portkeys produced. I think something’s here that might help us.”



“Us?”



“Wizards. In the war. Against Voldemort.”



“You know about the war?”



“Who doesn’t!”



Ginny sputtered, her mind boggled by this strange encounter with this strange person.



“It’s just that-that- that I’ve never heard of you, or seen you, or anything!”



“Aha. Yes, well, that would be because I am in disguise, and the name I gave you is a disguise.”



“Then who are you really?” She frowned.



“That would ruin the disguise, now wouldn’t it?”



Ginny stood and thought a moment. Here she was, standing and having a strange conversation with a strange person in a strange place. And worst of all, she’d lost her wand. It would be in her best interest to go along with this kooky old man. But, of course, I have no clue if he’s old or not…



The man smirked. “Yes, well, I see you’ve got yourself in a predicament.”



“What?”



“You’ve got no way to get home. I could be a dear and transport you there myself… but then how would you learn…”



Argnal paced, his shoulders hunched over and his hands held behind his back. “Lets see… aha! I know exactly what I’ll do with you.” He walked over to Ginny and handed her a key that he had pulled out of his pant’s pocket. “You, dear, are going to figure out this mystery. You,” he poked her nose, “are going to go on a quest. I wish you best, dear, but be gone. he tapped her head with his wand.



And again, Ginny was pulled by her navel into that swirling pit of colors and light. She was a human portkey. Having only a moment to gather herself, Ginny landed, surprisingly, on her feet, and immediately spun around, looking for a sign of danger. But there was none. None visible, that is.



There were few people braving Diagon Alley this late at night, and there were even fewer shops open. But what confused Ginny the most is that the closed shop, Ollivander’s, had an open sign on the door. She walked over to it and paused, unsure, but knew that she couldn’t give up and floo home just yet. Argnal had intrigued her.



Just maybe…



Ginny held up the key that had been thrust at her seconds before she was sent to Diagon Alley. She studied it, and then pushed it into the lock on the whim. this couldn’t just be a coincidence. She grinned as the lock clicked, and she pushed the door open.



Well, I was looking for adventure…



Looking around the empty room, Ginny felt a swish of nostalgia. She hadn’t been here since she was eleven, and even without the abundance of wands, Ginny could still sense the magic and wonder of the store. Pivoting around slowly, her eyes stopped on the window sill. Seven cards lay in a row, but only two were turned upwards, the witch and the wizard staring up at her.



Ginny picked up the card nearest her, Rowena Ravenclaw, noticing it had the same black marks as the Grindlewald card. Well, here goes nothing…



Ginny landed face down in the dirt.



“Great.” She mumbled, pulling herself up to her feet.



“Hello, Ginny.”



Ginny’s eyes shot up. “Uh…”



Ginny was looking at none other than Rowena Ravenclaw. Sitting on a small throne, she held her wand in her left hand and a small, purple box in the right.



“I’m so glad you’re here. But, as we don’t have much time, we have to do this quickly.” Rowena stood up, gliding over to Ginny. “And no, I’m not a ghost. In here, I’m as real as you, dear.”



Ginny nodded, speechless. Can this night be any more strange?



“Careful what you ask for, love.”



Ginny sputtered. “But what- how-



“Never mind, I see I’ll have to get straight to the point. This,” Rowena thrust her wand at Ginny, “Is your new wand. Temporary, of course. And this,” she gave her another chocolate frog card, “Is your portkey out of here. From here, to the gates of Hogwarts, that is. Now, be quiet, you’ve only got a couple minutes left. Hold it firmly in your hand, dear, I wouldn’t want you to get dropped off somewhere unexpected. Anyways, I’ve got a lot of explaining to do, don’t I. Hmm… where to start.”



Ginny was about to reply when Rowena snapped, “Aha. The spell. You’ve got to know the spell. Repeat after me, dear, numbelazaro



“Numbelazaro.” Ginny repeated, thinking she’d gone quite insane. She was talking to one of the Hogwarts founders. How could she not be insane? Asleep, maybe? Hopefully.



“Good, dear, now try it out on that table there.” She pointed to a small, round table beside her throne. “Go on. With feeling.”



Ginny rolled her eyes, shifted her stance, and shouted, “Numbelazaro!” at the table. It exploded.



“Well done, Ginerva! Well done! Yes, well, of course, the Gargoyle won’t react that way, but that was the proper one for the table, yes, love. Now, when you get to Hogwarts you’ve got to go up to the castle. There’s two Gargoyles on the front steps, correct? Yes, you want the one that’s right in front of the wall, the one on your right. You’ve got to use that spell, on the Gargoyle, and then follow it from there. Now, have you got any questions?”



Ginny opened her mouth to speak, but was suddenly stopped by the pull in her navel.



This is getting very annoying. Ginny sighed to herself as she was flung through space, dully noting the bright colors. Ginerva was well pissed-off.







Ginny landed on her bum in front of the Hogwarts gate. well, it’s better than having a mouth full of dirt again. she thought ruefully.



Performing another Disillusionment charm, Ginny slipped through the gate, and hurried up to the castle. Spotting the Gargoyle, she held Rowena’s wand in her hand and murmured, “Numbelazaro!”



Lucky me, Ginny thought. I’m the good, obedient little girl, and now I’ve got to go into a bloody tunnel. Someone remind me why I’m doing this?



Ginny reluctantly stepped into the hole in the wall, grimacing as the wall shut behind her.



Grasping Rowena’s wand in hand, Ginny walked several yards into the tunnel, looking for somewhere to sit and think, while hoping for an entrance to Hogwarts. After a long while, Ginny sank to the ground, leaning against the tunnel wall. The next thing she knew, she was waking up, sore from the position she had been in for who knew how long.



How odd. Now, what to do… what to do… Ginny was helpless, and in a situation she could have never imagined in years. That morning, she had woken up, asked for an adventure, transported to a place that was nowhere and everywhere at once, and followed a particularly odd man’s orders. Not to mention borrowed a dead person’s wand.



I told you, I’m not dead, dear.



Ginny was shocked at the voice that invaded her thoughts.



“Personally, I’m too tired and confused to wonder how you got in my mind, but I’m wondering if you can help me. Is there a way to get into the castle?” Ginny said aloud, hoping that no one was watching her talk to herself. Good or bad, Ginny didn’t want to seem like more of a loon than she already was.



Certainly, dear. You’re right in front of it. Put a bit more pressure on the wall.



Ginny complied- and fell backwards, only to find that she was now lying across the hall from the room of requirement entrance.



“How convenient.” Ginny muttered.



Yes, I thought so. I’m glad I designed it that way.



Ginny didn’t ask, just stood up and quickly gained entrance to the room.



I need a place to rest and think, I need a place to rest and think, I need and place to rest and think.



Ginny walked in, and was relieved to see a collection of large couches and beds.



I need a bottle of butterbeer.



Ginny grinned as one appeared in her outstretched hand. She walked over to a couch, turned around, and collapsed on it. After getting situated and opening her bottle, she decided,



“It’s time that I thought this all out. Rowena? Can you explain?”



Certainly, dear. But not all of it, some things you have to figure out for yourself.



Ginny groaned. “I’m tired of that rubbish! Everyone’s been ordering me around all day, why can’t they tell me what to do now?”



Because that would be easy.



“Exactly…” She mumbled, picking at a string coming out of the overstuffed couch. “So, go on.”



Well, Ginny, we’ve decided that Harry needs a bit of help out there. He’s got all but two of the horcruxes, counting the one Voldemort’s using now, but I’m afraid that they’re stuck on a trail that leads to no where.



Ginny perked up. “I’m helping Harry?”



What, did you think we were going to have you running about like a chicken for some person you didn’t know? You love Harry, dear, and we figured you’d be the best for the job.



Ginny felt a little better, knowing she would be helping Harry vanquish the Dark Lord.



You’re going to destroy the last horcrux tonight, Ginny. And then Harry will be able to kill Voldemort. Don’t fear the name, Ginny, for fearing his name makes him stronger. If people went around calling him out, he would have considerably less power. He would loose an advantage over the Order and the Ministry.



All you’ve got to do now, Ginny, is wish for Voldemort’s last horcrux to be shown to you. The Room of Requirement will show you it’s location, and from there you should be able to destroy it. It’s quite simple, really. The incantation is ‘crunoglastica’. Just point, no swishing and flicking. Nothing fancy. And now Ginny, I’m afraid that’s all I can tell you. I must leave you now, but I’ll be watching. Take care, dear.




And just like that Ginny was all alone again, sitting, wide-eyed, on the couch. But after several minutes, Ginny collected herself, mentally patting herself on the back.



You’ve been through a lot today, love, and I think you’ve handled it quite well. What other person would have gone along with all of this? Ginny thought, standing up.



“Yes well, dearest Room of Requirement, I need to know the location of Voldemort’s last horcrux. The one that Harry’s still searching for.”



Ginny blinked, and it was as if she was standing in front of a mirror. She saw herself, standing alone, in a replication of the room she was standing in now, right in front of her.



Ginny gasped. “I’m a horcrux? Merlin!”



Sitting back down on the couch, Ginny wondered how the spell would affect her. Would it simply destroy Voldemort’s soul, or kill her in the process?



“Remember, mate, you’re helping Harry here. You can’t give up now. You’ve gotten too far.” Ginny told herself, sitting back on the couch. She tapped the tip of her wand to her head.



“Crunoglastica.” She shouted, cringing. Was she killing herself?



Ginny opened her eyes. When had she shut them? The she looked down at the floor.



Down at the floor. Down at the floor! I’m bloody floating!”



Ginny’s head snapped backwards as she felt something crawling up her throat. She opened her mouth, and a glowing bit floated out, continuing to move upwards.



It exploded, and Ginny fell to the floor.



There, Harry. I’ve done it. You can save the world now. Ginny thought as she fell asleep. Go be my hero.