Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Myth and Mystery by FaunaCaritas

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Special thanks to CowGirlHPFan for reviewing both of my stories!


It was late when Alice and Frank where allowed to leave Scrimgeour’s office and take the Floo home. It was late when Frank finally extracted the fragment of granite from her shoulder and healed the wound as best he could. It was much later still when Alice fell asleep in Frank’s arms, her fingers twisted in his hair and his face buried on her neck. Exhaustion claimed her body and mind and sent her deep into dreamless sleep. Alice could have slept for days, but when she woke the sky was still dark and Frank was shaking her urgently.

“Someone is calling from the kitchen, Alice. I hate to wake you, love, but it sounds important.”

Alice groaned and sat up bleary-eyed, hoping no one she loved had been killed. The wood floors felt like ice and the draft on the stairs set her teeth chattering. Nothing but her three long years of Auror training could have induced her to leave the warm blankets and trail down to the kitchen behind Frank, trying to keep her grumbling inaudible.

“Thank Merlin you two finally heard me!” exclaimed a harassed looking James Potter from the fireplace, his head floating eerily in the emerald fire, “Scrimgeour says you both have to report at once. Apparently something dreadful has happened at Diagon Alley. I tried to have you both excused, but Scrimgeour almost bit my head off. Apparently he needs everyone. Oh, and he thinks this all might have something to do with what happened to you earlier, Alice, so he made a particular point of saying you should be there double quick. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but there it is. Scrimgeour probably choose me because I am the only Auror the Longbottoms wouldn’t curse into the afterlife for waking them at this time of night.” James cocked an eyebrow impishly. Alice thought it was positively sinful to look so wide-awake at this hour of the morning.

“Alright, I’ll just change…”

“No time! Just transfigure your night things and come along. Do you actually call that thing a nightdress, Alice? Lily needs to hear about this!”

Alice huffed. Frank directed his wand at her with a smile. Her silk negligee glowed briefly, and Alice found herself wrapped in a deliciously soft woolen tunic and warm leggings with a traveling cloak that fell to her knees. The fabric was dark brown”almost black”and seemed to have retained some of the properties of silk. It felt like butter against her skin.

“Frank, if we ever get through this war alive I am going to make you retire and become a tailor,” she commented, touching the leather belt clasped around her waist. She summoned their boots while he transfigured his own garments into a similar outfit. “Where to, James?”

“Diagon Alley, Apparition point number three. Oh, yes, and here is your toad. I think he was pining for you.” He held out Trevor and Alice scooped the happily gulping creature into her pocket again, ignoring Frank's questioning eyebrows.

“Well, I guess we will see you there, James,” Frank responded. Potter nodded and disappeared, the emerald fire swirling to nothingness a moment later. Frank pulled her close and covered lips with his.

“Nothing stupid, alright, darling?” he murmured.

“As long as the same goes for you, Frank,” she returned, tapping him lightly with her fist.

“It’s hard going out like this, right after I though I’d lost you.”

“I understand,” Alice answered, looking straight into his eyes. “But we did not sign up for an easy job. Let’s get out there and do what we always dreamed of doing, Frank” kicking some serious Death Eater posteriors.”

Frank smiled. He held out his arm. Alice accepted it gratefully. Her magical and physical energies were still drained.

Apparition point number three seemed to be the gather point for over a dozen Aurors. Scattered greetings were exchanged. Alice caught sight of Mad-Eye Moody and she and Frank moved over to join him.

“Fill us in, Alastor,” Frank said, pulling his cloak tighter around his shoulders and scanning the dark street with worried eyes.

“Not much to tell. Scrimgeour is keepin’ pretty quiet about whatever it is. I fancy he doesn’t want the Prophet to get wind of it. All I know is Death Eaters were spotted at Olivander’s around three o’clock. We want Alice here because””

Suddenly a spout of gold sparks showed bright against the dark sky further up the street. Moody broke off and bellowed to everyone standing about, “That was the signal to move up. Wands out and look sharp. Never know what could ‘appen this time of night.”

Frank took Alice’s hand and gave it a light squeeze. They followed Moody up the Alley towards Olivander’s, keeping a wary eye open for unusual activity. There was nothing to see, not even a cleaning-wizard out sweeping the streets before the foot traffic returned in the morning. Alice shrugged off her dismal mood and glanced over at Frank. His profile in the faint wand-light reassured her. She wished there was more time to talk.

Scrimgeour mertalized out of the darkness next to her. “Mrs. Longbottom, I need you in particular. This may be related to the chocolate frog card incident earlier. Follow me.” Alice grabbed a handful of Frank’s cloak and pulled him after her. Scrimgeour gave a disapproving glance, but did not verbally object.

“What’s all this about?” asked Alice when Scrimgeour halted at the Olivander’s shop door.

“Death Eaters were raiding Olivander’s earlier tonight. We managed to catch one, but the other two got away. Criffton-- the one we got-- isn’t talking, but that’s no surprise. I have to ask you not to tell anyone about all this”“

“Right,” Frank cut in, “The Daily Prophet. We can keep our mouths shut.”

Scrimgeour glared at him and continued, “We were checking the shop for booby traps and curses when we spotted something odd. There are some chocolate frog cards in there. We need Alice to take a look at them and tell us if they bear any resemblance to the illegal Portkey she experienced earlier.”

“’Experienced’?” Alice queried, giving him a sarcastic look. “Alright, I’ll take a look at your wretched cards”even though I never want to see one again as long as I live. Couldn’t this have waited till morning?” Scrimgeour merely growled at her like an angry lion. “Oh well, whatever you say, boss. Where are the cards then?”

“Inside.”

Alice reached for the door handle, but found it locked. “Look here, is this locked for a reason?”

“We haven’t been inside yet.”

“Wait a minute,” Frank snarled, “are you sending my wife into a shop you haven’t been into yourself. You said the place was crawling with Death Eaters earlier. How do you know it’s safe?”

“We have run all the necessary checks at a distance. The last thing I wanted was a troop of Aurors mucking around, destroying evidence,” Scrimgeour snarled back, his temper wearing dangerously thin.

“Frank, it’s alright. Cover my back, dear. Let’s get this beastly business over with so I can get back to sleep.” Alice tapped the door handle. “Alohamora.” The old wood creaked on its hinges and swung open, revealing the shadowed interior.

Alice stepped cautiously across the threshold. A thick carpet of dust lay underfoot. Alice turned her eyes to the shelves and inhaled sharply. They were empty; not a single box remained of the thousands that had once stretched from floor to ceiling. “I thought you said the shop was raided earlier tonight, sir,” she said over she shoulder to Scrimgeour, “this place looks like it has been abandoned for years.” She ran one finger along a shelf and then blew the dust from her fingertips. “But it has always needed a good cleaning, I suppose. The spots where the wand boxes should be are cleaner then the rest of the shelves.”

Frank entered behind her, his wand out. Scrimgeour crowded behind. Alice looked around the empty shop and spotted the chocolate frog cards on the windowsill. She walked over and knelt by the glass. Her wandlight fell on five perfectly normal cards, all bearing snoozing occupants and all looking completely harmless. The second card from the left caught Alice’s eye. Rowena Ravenclaw’s name glimmered in silver letters, like stars in a velvet sky. The pale birch-wood wand in Rowena’s left hand also gleamed.

“Frank, didn’t old Olivander sometimes display a single wand in this window on a tatty purple cushion?” Frank nodded. “Look, these five cards have been laid end to end on purpose, right where he used to display the wand. Isn’t that odd?” Scrimgeour made a non-committal noise from the doorway.

“The wand was birch-wood, if I remember rightly…” Alice mused.

“Mrs. Longbottom,” Rufus interjected impatiently, “ do you see anything about those cards that leads you to believe they be connected to the one you saw yesterday?”

“No,” Alice replied, leaning closer and searching for tell-tale runes or peeling paint, “But there is something about this card here...” Wrapping her fingers in the corner of her cloak Alice reached out and picked up Rowena’s card.

“Is that wise, Alice?” Frank asked anxiously, eyeing the card as if it where a bomb.

“If I don’t touch it I will be alright,” Alice replied confidently, turning the card over. She read the information on the back aloud. “Rowena Ravenclaw, Co-Founder of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The wisest witch of her age, Ravenclaw is best remembered as the founder of the Hogwarts house that bears her name. Her beauty was legendary and her many well-known works still fill the shelves of any well-educated magical home. Historians believe she is a native of Scotland and that she discovered the Animagus transformation process with the assistance of her contemporary, druidess Cliodna. Ravenclaw also designed the famous Hogwarts moving staircases. Precise dates are unknown.

“Well, that’s interesting… Cliodna’s card was the Portkey yesterday. This can’t be a coincidence.”

Scrimgeour spoke from the door, “I don’t like this. Something dark is going on, and the Death Eaters are at the bottom of it. Mrs. Longbottom, do you have any bright ideas about those cards? We need to act fast. If the Prophet finds out every single bloody wand is missing from Olivander’s there is going to be a ripping hullabaloo.”

“Well, boss, there is something important about Rowena’s card, of that I’m sure. Frank and I can track the Cliodna-Ravenclaw lead while the rest of the team searches the premises.”

Rufus Scrimgeour frowned. “I suppose that is the best we can do for the moment. You should probably go to Dumbledore if you want more information about the Hogwarts founders. If that walking-talking library fails, there is always the school’s historic documents section. You are bound to find something. Who do you want to take with you to help research?”

“How about Moody and Potter, sir?” Frank said quickly.

“I shouldn’t let all my best Aurors go… oh, alright. You four seem to make a good team. Beats me”a bigger set of misfits I never hope to see again. Make sure you bring me something! Take those cards with you to show Dumbledore.”

Alice slipped Ravenclaw’s card into her pocket while Frank carefully wrapped the other four in a handkerchief. They returned to the street. Waiting Aurors were stamping their feet in the cold air and muttering darkly about being called out for nothing. “Alastor, James,” called Alice, “we’ve got work to do and you’re coming with us. Let’s move!”

She filled them in as they strode to the Apparition point, “…and Frank wisely suggested you two for the team. It will be good to talk openly in front of Dumbledore. The Order will need to stay on top of this latest development. You-Know-Who has something big up his vile sleeve, curse him.”

They reached the Apparition point. The horrible sensation of changing place by magic was over in a few seconds. Hogwarts’ gates rose before them, the winged boars silhouetted against the sky. The first light of dawn was gilding the highest towers and waking the lake birds into noisy life. Alice breathed deeply. The scent of dew and fresh-turned earth filled her senses. Hagrid must be tilling his pumpkin patch. Hogwarts was at peace.

She barely needed a good memory to send her Patronus streaking up to the castle to inform Dumbledore of their arrival. Alice hoped it wouldn’t wake him, and briefly wondered if he ever slept. Frank touched her arm and pointed to the western tower. A light flickered dimly against the pale morning sky. “Fancy a guess at who has been up all night, love?” he asked.

“Dumbledore, or the new astronomy teacher I suppose.”

The front doors swung open in the distance and Dumbledore descended the front steps. He acted as though he was going for a leisurely morning stroll through the grounds. His walk was slow, and he kept his head turned deliberately away from the gates.

“Doesn’t want us to be seen with him,” growled Moody, his low voice expressing approval, “Dumbledore is a clever man. I bet there are one or two students at Hogwarts who aren’t above passin’ information on to the Death Eaters. Wands out, young ‘uns. Make yourselves invisible to prying eyes.”

James Potter looked rueful. “I can never perform that charm, Moody. Give me a hand.”

“Good grief, Potter,” Alice commented, as she and Frank took on the resemblance of humanoid chameleons, “how did you ever manage to make a name for yourself as a ‘master of mischief’ if you couldn’t use the Disallusionment charm?”

“I had something much better,” he replied, wincing as Moody’s wand gave him a vigorous crack. “Ugh, I hate that chilly feeling.”

They were recalled to the business at hand when the gate lock clicked loudly in the stillness. “Looks like Dumbledore is inviting us in,” said James cheerily.

They crossed the lawns to Dumbledore’s side. He turned to admire a view of the lake. “I think I shall go visit Hagrid,” he commented to the scene before him, a smile on his bearded lips, “a good cup of strong tea and a conversation will suit me nicely.” He turned and walked towards the cabin. Alice couldn’t help but admire the spring in the old man’s step and the knowing twinkle in his eyes.

Hagrid’s cabin was warm and comforting. Alice and Frank sank onto a wooden bench in the corner while Moody took up his post by the door. Dumbledore and James took seats by the fire.

“Do not remove those concealment charms, my friends. I am being watched and I want Voldemort to know as little as possible about the Order of the Phoenix,” said Dumbledore softly, his lips barely moving. “Alice, your Patronus of yesterday evening was very informative. And I was very glad to hear that you had reached the Ministry in safety. I would like to hear a more detailed description of your unexpected adventure at our next Order meeting. However, that can wait.

“I know why you are here this morning, and if my suspicions are correct then time is of the essence. All these recent events are connected. Voldemort is making his next move, and we shall be hard pressed to stop him. These chocolate frog cards are more then Portkeys and secret messages between Death Eaters. Alice, I believe you have one to show me? Ravenclaw, if I am not mistaken?”

Alice allowed herself to feel a fleeting sense of awe. It seemed there was nothing the Headmaster did not know. She pulled out the card and handed it to him, noting that he too took it with his fingers wrapped in a corner of his robes. Dumbledore looked closely at the card, then withdrew his wand from an inner pocket of his robes and murmured, “Specialis Revelio.”

The card glowed brilliant blue. When the light faded a single word had appeared on the card. The letters had burned themselves through the paper. Delicate wisps of smoke rose, spiraled, and died in the still air. A bitter scent filled the cabin. Dumbledore sighed, “This is worse then I had feared,” he said sadly, “I have no time to explain, my friends. Please follow me and do exactly as I say. Hogwarts has many secrets, and I am afraid Tom Riddle learned several of them while he was at school. Knowledge is a dangerous thing in the hands of evil. We may be too late.”

He rose and walked swiftly to the door. It opened before he reached it. Alice and Frank scrambled to their feet and hurried after him, Alastor and James bringing up the rear. Dumbledore was making his way across the vegetable patch towards the base of the west tower. There was no sign of Hagrid. Alice followed close behind, trying not to care about the thick mud sloshing over her boots or the cold dew soaking into her leggings. The sun rose over the mountains to the west, flooding the sweeping lawns with sunshine. Somewhere a peacock began to sound his wailing cry. Alice shivered.

They reached the base of the tower. Dumbledore immediately became absorbed in examining the gutter spouts. Alice tried not to feel annoyed. James and Frank sat down on a pile of mossy stones to wait. Dumbledore spared them a quick glance. “I shouldn’t sit there if I where you,” he said warningly, and then returned to examining the masonry. Frank and James stood up hastily.

“Aha!” Dumbledore exclaimed, touching the snout of a hideous gargoyle. The creature’s mouth served at a gutter spout, but grooves had been carved beneath its eyes so that it would appear to cry when it rained. Dumbledore removed the card from his robes and handed it to Alice, his fingers unprotected this time. Alice held the card up to the light. “Lacrimabundus? What does it mean, sir?”

“It is the spell that opens a secret tunnel. How or when Tom Riddle discovered this tunnel, I do not know. However, discover it he did. We must follow this tunnel and hope for the best.” Dumbledore turned to the gargoyle and pointed his wand at it, “Lacrimabundus!

There was a sound like a clap of thunder. The heap of rocks that Frank and James had been sitting on shuddered and rose into the air. Four floated to the right, four to the left. There was another loud crack, and all eight rocks dissolved into a haze of copper mist. When the mist cleared Alice saw the mouth of a large tunnel opening at her feet. Wooden stairs descended into deepest darkness. The walls were thickly carved with arcane runes and the steps were inlaid with silver and gold.

“Frank, I am rather sick of dark tunnels,” she said shakily, taking a whiff of the stale air and wrinkling her nose. He kissed her cheek sympathetically and then followed the others inside. For an instant Alice allowed herself to savor the sunshine on her shoulders and the giddy breeze in her hair. At least Frank and I are together this time, she noted with a last glance at the castle and the snow-capped mountains. Then she turned, drew her wand, and followed Frank into the passage.


Broken cobwebs fluttered in her wandlight as she descended. Frank looked back now and then with a reassuring smile. At first the stairs went straight down, but eventually they began to spiral. After a long time the steps ended in a wide tunnel. The five of them paused to regroup.

“There is another entrance to the chamber ahead,” Dumbledore informed them, “I wish I had known sooner that Tom Riddle was aware of all this. I would have kept it guarded.”

“Dumbledore,” Frank interrupted, “surely you can give us some idea what to expect? Where are we, and what is You-Know-Who after down here?”

“Very well, but I must be brief,” Dumbledore replied, speaking with uncharacteristic rapidity, “You have all doubtless heard about Slytherin’s Chamber of Secrets”“

“I have, Albus,” Moody growled, “I was at school when it opened. Seventh year, that was.”

“Yes, Alastor,” Dumbledore nodded, “But what is not so commonly known is that each of the Hogwarts founders had a hidden Chamber. Slytherin’s monster left a great impression on the minds of posterity. Few people were actually interested in the Chamber of Courage, the Chamber of Friendship, and the Chamber of Wisdom.”

Alice gasped, “Are you serious? There are four Chambers?”

“Yes, there are. Or perhaps it would be better to say there were. Gryffindor and Hufflepuff moved their Chambers to different locations after Slytherin left the school. They made them Unplottable, and their contents are now forever lost and forgotten. A sad thing for us.”

All four Aurors watched Dumbledore’s face with rapt attention. “But what about Ravenclaw’s Chamber?” asked James Potter.

“Ravenclaw never moved her Chamber. She held onto the hope that someday Slytherin would return and be reconciled with his old friends. She wished to show her trust by leaving her Chamber right where it had always been, at the base of her beloved tower.”

“Merlin’s beard, are you saying we are standing in her Chamber?” exclaimed Alice.

“Only in the entrance,” replied Dumbledore, “the Chamber lies at the end of this tunnel.”

“Albus,” Moody said, “if you know about all of this, why has it remained a secret? Surely this Chamber should have been explored?”

Dumbledore was silent for a moment. “I have never entered the Chamber of Wisdom,” he said softly, “It is written that Rowena Ravenclaw entered the Chamber when she felt her life waning. Her friends obeyed her final wishes and never went in search of her. They sealed the chamber with a spell and tried to let all memory of the sanctuary fade. I had no wish to reveal its existence or open the Chamber without dire need.

“However,” he continued, “it seems that Lord Voldemort knows about the Chamber. We cannot permit him to defile it for his foul purposes. I fear he may already have discovered the Chamber of Courage and the Chamber of Friendship by some Dark Art of his own. We shall speak of this more later.” Dumbledore beckoned them forward down the passage, “Be prepared for anything,” he warned.

Alice hurried along behind Mad-Eye, turning over what she had heard. She felt she had learned more about the Hogwarts founders in a couple of minutes then she had ever learned in her whole life. She was suddenly able to picture them, four friends, building a mighty school of magic high in the clean mountains. They laughed as they agreed to build themselves each a room to house their belongings and discoveries. She could picture the different Chambers”Hufflepuff’s filled with friends and feasting, Gryffindor’s with wonderful weapons and giant fireplaces, Slytherin’s dark and secret study, and Ravenclaw’s vast library with great stores of learning.

How sad it was that it all changed. Bold Slytherin hatching an evil monster to unleash death on harmless children, Gryffindor and Hufflepuff mistrustfully hiding their Chambers far away, and fair Ravenclaw grieving over broken ties of love and trust. Alice sighed. Each generation has its sorrows and joys. Voldemort’s reign of terror is nothing new.

The passage ended. A massive door blocked the road ahead. A bronze raven was emblazoned on the dark cherry wood. Her wings were unfolded, and her sapphire eyes glittered with an unvoiced challenge. The bird was so realistic Alice found herself half wondering if she was real. Dumbledore caught Alice’s wide-eyed stare. “Mrs. Longbottom,” he asked urgently, “does the bird remind you of anything? Anything important?”

“Yes!” she exclaimed in surprise, “Cliodna, Rowena’s driudess friend, was an Animagus. She was a bird. I think she was an eagle, sir.”

“That is very helpful,” Dumbledore replied, turning back to the door.

“Why, sir?” asked Alice, confused now.

He ignored her question. “Try the door,” he said, gesturing to the ornate bronze doorknob.

“Why me?” asked Alice, her voice now taking on a slightly hysterical note. She wished she could just go home and sink into bed. Why can’t he open the bloody door himself?

“It will all be clear later,” Dumbledore said reassuringly.

Alice growled audibly but obeyed him. The heavy handle resisted her for a moment and then turned. Alice pushed the door open and stood back.

Bright firelight, mixed with what looked like daylight, was streaming through the open door into the tunnel. Alice could see a circular fireplace in the center of the room beyond. Dumbledore held up a hand for silence and then walked past them into the Chamber. He stood motionless for a full minute and then beckoned them forward.

Alice found herself standing in a round room. Sunlight was indeed pouring through high windows that lined the curving walls and through an enormous skylight in the ceiling. “But, s-sir, we are underground,” James stuttered, walking over to one of the arched windows and looking out, “is there a charm on these windows, like the ones at the Ministry? It… it appears we are at the top of the west tower, sir.”

“Rowena Ravenclaw was a very skilled witch,” Dumbledore smiled, “She had a preference for designing pathways that lead to unexpected places. We are, indeed, at the top of the west tower. That passageway behind us has been leading us upward, not downward. Ah yes, Ravenclaw; she never would have had her Chamber deep underground. She loved light and air far too much for that.”

“But why has no one noticed this room before, sir? It has to be directly above the Ravenclaw’s dormitories.”

“It is not accessible from beneath,” Dumbledore answered, “there are only two entrances. One is that passage there,” he pointed to the doorway, “and the other”“

A crash sounded above their heads. Alice looked up and registered a thousand shards of glass falling towards her upturned face. She threw up her arms, but Frank was quicker. His shield charm enveloped them both in a protective barrier. The remains of the skylight hit the floor with a second louder crash. Three masked Death Eaters flew through the gap in the ceiling, flinging curses and hexes as they came.

Alice and Frank ducked behind an enormous chest. Moody was blasting jinxes off at an incredible rate, his voice booming out in the tower room like a lighthouse foghorn. Dumbledore’s phoenix appeared in a flash of fire and dove at the heads of Death Eaters, pealing forth his wild cries. For a few moments everything was chaos. Alice threw all her force into a powerful Incacerous. One Death Eater down.

James took a Stunner full in the face. Moody retaliated with a Full Body Bind. The Death Eater toppled and fell off his broom with a clatter. Moody gave a gruff yell of triumph. The last Death Eater shrieked and began hurling Killing Curses, clearly desperate. This last Death Eater was clearly a woman. She fought with cat-like grace; every now and then a feline hiss escaped her curled lips when her spells missed. She had dismounted from her broom and had allowed her cloak to slip off her slim shoulders to give her better mobility. Alice knew she recognized that slight build and sharp voice from somewhere.

Dumbledore suddenly disappeared from sight and reappeared behind the Death Eater. His wand described a complicated arc and the Death Eater ceased throwing spells. She stood still, clearly not Petrified or bound, but submissive and docile. There was a long silence.

“Why are you here?” asked Dumbledore, stepping forward and plucking the Death Eater’s wand from her limp hand. She trembled and removed the mask covering the face. Alice stood up with a cry. “Eve! I…I don’t understand. What in Merlin’s name is going on? Will someone explain to me what…” she trailed off. It was all too strange and inexplicable. Her older sister back at her with tortured eyes. Alice didn’t realize that Frank was supporting her and looking at her chalk-white face in alarm.

“I… Professor Dumbledore?” Eve O’Kerny said, turning to him, “Have I been…?”

Dumbledore cleared his throat, “Miss O’Kerny has been under the Imperius curse. I have just released her.”

“But I thought Eve was dead!” Alice whispered, sitting down abruptly on the chest and covering her face with her hands, “there was the… the Dark Mark and everything.”

“No, You-Know-Who didn’t want me dead,” Eve said hollowly, “He wanted me for something else. But I can’t remember now. My head feels all fuzzy and I don’t know…” she swayed and looked around the room with a lost expression.

“All of our questions must wait,” Dumbledore said firmly, “the main thing is to get Miss O’Kerny to the Hospital Wing. Alastor, please watch these Death Eaters. Frank, you and your wife should come with me. And Mr. Potter-“ he broke off and looked down at James, “ah, yes. Well, Alastor, if you want his help feel free to revive him.” Mad-Eye grunted, but seemed inclined to let James relax a bit longer.

Alice tried to speak, but her voice stuck in her throat. Eve was displaying no emotion; shock was plainly uppermost. The shattered woman kept opening and closing her eyes as if she could change her surroundings that easily. Alice felt tired and ill. The edges of the room were spinning and she could barely stay on her feet.

Dumbledore then moved to the shattered glass and frame of the skylight. He levitated it to one side and knelt on the masonry. One of his long white fingers traced an inscription on the stones.

Here Liys Rowena Ravenclaw,
Her Tomb by Magik Seald,
Ownly to Frende or Child of Frende
Shell that Magik Ever Yielde.

Let Nun Disturbe My Peaceful Sleep
Ore Take That Which Once Was Mine
Unless Need bee Dire and Fearsome

Verily, if Sweet Slytherin Returneth
Weep No More for Me.

“Sweet Slytherin never returned,” Dumbledore commented, rising to his feet, “We must go. Miss O’Kearny…” he offered his arm to the swaying woman. She took it and leaned heavily against him, her eyes dull with pain and confusion. “I will return within the hour, Alastor,” Dumbledore said quickly over his shoulder as he led Eve from the room, Alice and Frank in tow.

Somehow they reached the hospital wing. Alice never remembered getting there. Sleep deprivation and extreme exhaustion had taken their toll, and she barely even realized when Frank led her to a hospital bed and lowered her gently onto the soft mattress. Alice’s eyes wandered to her sister. Madam Pomfrey was fussing, scolding, and summoning potions at a furious rate. Alice felt her tired brain reel briefly under the weight of the news that Eve was not dead, before her eyelids drifted closed unbidden.

***

Something warm was stroking her cheek. Alice sighed contentedly and raised her hand to grasp Frank’s calloused fingers. When she opened her eyes he was bending over her. She smiled back at him lazily for a moment before realizing where she was.

“Oh no, how long have I been asleep, Frank?” she asked, struggling to sit up but finding that her body refused to comply. Her side and back felt tender, and an indescribable knife-like pain was searing her left arm. She fell back on the crisp pillows.

Frank brushed back her long bangs and kissed her forehead gently. “Just rest, honey. It’s about six o’clock. Dumbledore said he would be here after dinner to answer our questions.”

“But what’s happened?” she asked, looking toward the place she had last seen her sister, “I am so terribly confused. I thought Eve was dead, Frank. I still can’t believe what I saw. Is it really Eve? Where is she?”

“Eve is at St. Mungo’s. Madam Pomfrey thought it would be best. Your sister is alright, love. For some reason You-Know-Who only killed your parents. He wanted Eve alive. Dumbledore was in a terrible rush earlier, what with Aurors swarming all over the place, taking those Death Eaters into custody. I couldn’t get more then a dozen words out of him.”

At that moment the double doors at the end of the ward opened and Dumbledore entered. His dark green robes billowed slightly behind him as he made his way over to them. His smile was deep and genuine. Several more torches flared into life along the walls. With a flourish of his wand the Headmaster conjured a bright blue armchair and sat down, handing Alice a box of Ice-Mice and a bouquet of geraniums. Alice laughed and deposited them on the nightstand.

“I am glad you are better, Mrs. Longbottom,” he said happily, “your husband has been keeping watch over you since early afternoon. Such devotion is an example to posterity.” Frank’s face flushed, and Alice squeezed his hand.

“Well, I am sure you have numerous and varied questions. I will be happy to answer anything within my power. Drinks?” he added, lifting his wand expectantly.

“Firewisky,” sighed Frank gratefully. Alice grinned, “Mead, please sir.”

Dumbledore passed them their glasses and sat back, his own sparkling tumbler catching the light of the setting sun. Amber points of light played across his face. “Ahh, Rosmerta’s best,” he sighed.

“How is my sister? Sir, what happened to Eve?”
“Well, Mrs. Longbottom, your sister has spent a very trying year under the influence of a very powerful Imperius Curse cast by Voldemort himself. He needed Miss O’Kearny for a special task.”

“What task was that?” asked Frank, beating Alice to the question.

“Perhaps I should start at the beginning so that everything is perfectly clear. You may think I digress, but please be patient.”

“Alright,” Alice said, “anything to un-fog this beastly mess.”

“Thank you. Let me see… many years ago young Tom Riddle found the Chamber of Wisdom. I really do not know how he came by the discovery, but I know his studies far surpassed the average student. He made rather a hobby of learning everything he could about the Hogwarts founders. However, strangely enough, he never once came to me for help, although I could have told him a great deal about the legendary four. He was a clever boy, and I believe he wanted me to know as little as possible about him.

“Young Tom must have stripped the Chamber of all its valuables long ago. Ravenclaw’s library was gone, and the shelves have been empty for over forty years. The chests that held her positions contain nothing. I suspect he has used all those items for some fiendish purpose of his own. It grieves me that I never knew he had pillaged the Chamber of Wisdom. Our world has lost some of its greatest treasures.”

“But why did he send Death Eaters there today, if he already has all the Chamber’s contents?” asked Alice, frowning.

“Aha, yes, you have nailed the important question. Voldemort never managed to steal the Chamber’s greatest treasure. It was protected by Blood-Magic that no Dark Magic could overpower. Voldemort had to bide his time until he could locate a witch or wizard who would be able to undo the Blood-Magic. Only a descendant of the spell-caster is able to turn the Magic backwards.”

“What was treasure?” Frank broke in eagerly.

“Lady Rowena Ravenclaw’s wand is sealed with her in her tomb. She lies under the inscription in the tower room. I made a dreadful mistake in assuming that Rowena sealed the entire chamber and laid herself down to die alone. She did die in the west tower, but it was her dearest friend who laid her to rest and sealed her tomb. Thus the Chamber could be entered by anyone who knew the password, but only a descendant of that closest friend could unlock her tomb and take Rowena’s wand.”

“Who was that friend, Professor?” Alice whispered, almost sure she could guess the answer.

“The druidess Cliodna”they where dearest friends from childhood. She never intended anyone to unseal Rowena’s tomb, I doubt the idea ever crossed her mind. Unfortunately, there are many who are not pure of heart, as she was.”

Frank drew the breath he had been holding and leaned back in his chair. “SoYou-Know-Who wanted Ravenclaw’s wand?”

“At the very least,” Dumbledore replied, not elaborating on his dark statement. Alice shivered. “But I still don’t see why he sent Death Eaters this morning, or why he put the Imperius Curse on Eve instead of killing her.”

“Voldemort, several months ago, discovered Cliodna’s last living descendants. Your family is, perhaps, far more ancient then you realized, Mrs. Alice O’Kearny-Longbottom.”

“Are you saying that I am descended from her?” Alice sat up quickly, dropping her glass. It rolled off the bed and smashed into a dozen pieces. She leaned forward, looking straight into Dumbledore’s keen blue eyes, reading the truth of all he had said in their wise depths.

“Yes, you and your sister are Cliodna’s direct descendants. I speculate that your father was killed when your father refused to help Voldemort recover Rowena’s wand. Voldemort switched tactics and resolved on using the Imperius Curse on either you or your sister. Unfortunately for her, it was Eve who crossed his path that same night.”

“Why didn’t he strike sooner?” asked Frank, ever practical.

“He only managed to breach the castle’s wards today”at least enough to send in two of his Death Eaters and Miss O’Kearny.”
“But why the Chocolate Frog Cards, and why the visit to the valley? How does it all fit together? I still want to know how I managed to get into the middle of things. It can’t be coincidence!” Alice exclaimed.

“I could be wrong,” Dumbledore said gravely, “but I do not think I am. The Death Eaters and Voldemort have been using the Cards as means of communication, as well as Portkeys. The Death Eaters that where caught in Olivander’s where supposed to have joined the team that penetrated Hogwart’s defenses. That second team was to have entered the Chamber of Wisdom by the tunnel that we used, rather then the skylight. If the skylight had been protected from the outside they might have breached it from inside. Voldemort wanted that wand very badly indeed, and he was taking no chances. The cards left in Olivander’s contained explicit instructions on how to enter the Chamber from the base of the west tower. A set of cards was discovered on one of the Death Eaters who attracted us, only those instructions described the skylight entrance.”

“It makes a bit more sense now,” admitted Alice, shaking her head wearily, “but why were the Death Eaters in Olivander’s in the first place?”

“They were stealing Cliodna’s wand”the one that Olivander kept on display in the front room. Voldemort knew that some of the protective spells on Rowena’s tomb might also require the caster’s wand, not just blood-relationship.”

“Oh dear,” sighed Alice, “how complicated it must be to work out a master-plan of evil. I think I will stick to the good side, even if only to avoid all the effort needed to be a proper Dark-Wizard genius.” They all laughed quietly for a moment.

“But you still haven’t explained why Voldemort was up in the terrible valley in the mountains, or why Cliodna’s card was simply knocking around Madam Hollyberry’s Teashop yesterday morning. Why on earth did a Death Eater leave a Portkey card in the morning paper? Seems overly careless, doesn’t it?”

“I agree with you, Mrs. Longbottom, but I can answer that question too,” Dumbledore twinkled, clearly very happy to know all the answers, “Recently your sister began to fight the Imperius Curse. She was not very successful, but yesterday she managed to force herself to loose the card she was supposed to pass on to a Death Eater confederate. She was trying desperately to break the Curse, but could only manage very small acts of rebellion. She does not remember if she knew she had dropped the card in your favorite teashop, or whether she had hoped you would find it and begin piecing the pieces of this puzzle together. Her mind is very hazy on the details. She does remember that she was punished harshly for ‘loosing’ the cards that had been entrusted to her.”

“Poor Eve… when can I go see her, sir?”

“As soon as Madam Pomfrey lets you out of her clutches,” chuckled Professor Dumbledore. He rose and smiled down on them both, “I am afraid I must go. I am having a great deal of trouble extinguishing the fire in the Chamber of Wisdom. Apparently Cliodna thought the place would be more cheerful if the fireplace was always burning. Everlasting flames can be ever so tricky, but I am enjoying the challenge.” He vanished their empty glasses”even Alice’s smashed one”and left them alone together, a knowing smile on his whiskered, half-hidden lips.

Frank stood up and moved to sit beside Alice on the bed, drawing her into his arms and cradling her head on his broad chest. The torches flickered and hissed, dying down into a soft steady glow that soothed Alice’s excited mind. She relaxed against Frank, content to momentarily forget all the things Dumbledore had just explained. She was merely happy that she was with Frank and that Eve was alive.

“Dearest,” Frank spoke, breaking the long silence, “are you alright. That was a lot to learn in one evening.”

“I’m fine, Frank,” she whispered back, kissing his neck and snuggling closer, “For the first time in months I feel content. I have grieved for my parents, but their passing didn’t hurt me in the way Eve’s did. I never really got over that, especially since we never found her body. I am better now that I know she is alive. My heart doesn’t hurt when I breath… do you know what I mean?”

“Mhm,” Frank responded, kissing the top of her head in response. His arms tightened around her.

“I had always wondered why Voldemort came to my parent’s house that night,” she continued, “I thought it couldn’t have been just a random killing. I can let it go now… I know dad and mum died. I’m proud of dad for standing up to Voldemort. It”it couldn’t have been easy.” She wiped away a few tears. “I have almost started obsessing about why they died, and why Eve’s body wasn’t there. I thought maybe Voldemort had made her into an Inf”“ but she couldn’t finish the word. Frank only held her closer in silent understanding.

“Now I know that he came after us for simple reason: our blood, our ancestry. It seems like that’s all that matters to that monster. People who lived so long ago they are practically myth! Why should my parents have died simply because we bear Cliodna’s blood”” Alice paused. “But why should anyone die, really. Killing never makes sense, except in self-defense.” She sat up and looked into Frank’s dark, loving eyes. “We have to keep fighting this soulless monster until he tastes his own favorite gift”death. The world deserves a chance.”

“I love you,” Frank responded, his eyes blazing. He kissed her and brushed the tears off her cheeks. “Together, Alice?”

“Yes, we will fight him together Frank. We die together, or not at all.” And while two brave lovers clung together in the darkened ward, a silver moon rose above the trees and spread her light across the ancient castle that had witnessed war, hate, courage, and love in the thousands of hearts that had lived and died within its walls.







~FIN~





I love reviews. Gee, duh.

But seriously guys, it makes my day! We authors like to know when someone likes/hates our brian-children. Anything is welcome-- nitpicking, flaming, gushing, you name it. Thanks a million.

*** I want to bribe you guys into reviewing. First three reviewers will each get a one-shot thank you story, if they want. (CowgirlHPFan gets first dibs.) Frank and Alice are very well developed characters in my head, so you can request any event from their lives-- their wedding, first meeting, first kiss, last battle, Neville's birth, etc. I am excited to see what you request! Even if you are not one of the first three reviewers I might be willing to write you a story-- just ask. Contact me with questions.