Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Loving her laugh by throughandthrough

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks must go to the genius of JKR!

please read and review....it's my first fanfic.

It was an awkward truce that had been made. Both Hermione and Ron were nauseatingly kind to one another and both went to extraordinary lengths to avoid any verbal jousts. In fact, they were almost unable to be in each other’s company if Harry, Ginny or someone else wasn’t there. It was not that they didn’t enjoy each other’s company, it was just that the sheer awkwardness of the situation usually resulted in discomforting silences and stolen glances at one another. Both were intent upon redressing the wrongs of the previous year and restoring their friendship to the position it had been prior to all the events that had unfolded.

So we resume our story the day before Bill and Fleur’s wedding.

*****************************

“For Flamel’s sake Ginny! Be careful with the dishes!” shrieked Mrs. Weasley, whose heightened state of distress made everyone more than just a little scared.

Ginny scowled behind Mrs.Weasley’s back and returned to polishing the dishes beside Hermione.

Outside in the yard, Hermione saw both Harry and Ron de-gnoming and setting up the chairs in rows of three on either side of the centre, where the bride and groom would be walking down.

Hermione watched Ron, unable to catch any of the conversation but relishing the opportunity to watch Ron without his knowing. He was speaking excitedly about something to a diligently listening Harry and making flourishing actions with his arms- definitely Quidditch Hermione thought with a grin.

“Admiring someone are we?” Ginny asked with her best attempt at a nonchalant voice but ultimately unable to hide the sly grin crossing her face.

Hermione blushed brilliantly and could only offer a contained smile as an answer.

“Could say the same for you, Ginny,” Hermione stated by way of a belated response.

“But its different with you and Ron. Harry and I know how we feel about one another, and have told each other as much, whereas you and Ron remain as clueless as ever,” Ginny replied sagely.

Hermione was always amazed by the depths of Ginny’s understanding on issues of the heart. While Hermione always managed to dance around the topic of liking Ron romantically (no matter how ungracefully), Ginny always knew her feelings despite never saying them out loud. Hermione would need to say it out loud and come to terms with it herself.

“Your brother just surprises me sometimes,” Hermione said in a hushed tone, worried Ron could hear from across the yard.

Ginny raised her eyebrow questioningly.

“I just mean that we are about to head off down this uncertain path that will inevitably be dangerous and life-threatening, and he is out there talking to Harry about Quidditch,” she finished with a note of admiration in her voice. Hermione herself could think of only the coming troubles (and Ron) and that fear constricted her chest and threatened to overwhelm her at times.

“Yeah, he’s always been like that. I remember Fred and George would play horrible tricks on me and I would sometimes go to Ron to hide from them. He would never say much to soothe me, but he would always talk about Quidditch. When I was in really bad shape he would talk about music that he had no idea about, but which he knew would make me happy. I thinks its because he was trying to tell me that there are things we should always look forward to-”

“Yes, he’s looking to the future and trying to show us there are wonderful things waiting for us once we sort out our troubles,” Hermione finished abruptly. She blushed again realizing that it would now seem obvious she had been contemplating this for sometime.

“Exactly,” Ginny said with a knowing smile.

Ronald Weasley may not have been the smartest individual to grace Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (not that he was unintelligent, for he was the undisputed Wizard Chess champion), but Hermione was always stunned at how could provide insights that others lacked.

Herimone’s gaze wondered back to Ron. His bright red hair was unruly and hung almost to his shoulder. The trials of the last year and Quidditch had made him quite muscular and he was no longer an unsure and gangly teenager.

Get a grip! It doesn’t do anyone a favour thinking this way. A most unbeneficial line of thought.

Both Ron and Harry were now sitting on a chair beside one another and had fallen into a state of brooding. Hermione wondered half-heartedly what could possibly be going through Ron’s mind.

********************

Ron’s eyes swept the scenery before him. The trees rustled quietly in the soft breeze and the sun was high in the sky.

Should be perfect weather for the wedding. Bill and Fleur deserve that much.

Despite all the impending festivities and the beautiful landscape, Ron could not get his mind off a certain….topic, that seemed to plague every hour of his existence. Hermione Granger simply would not leave him be. She intruded his dreams, his thoughts and even his actions seemed to be performed simply to please or at least gain her attention.

Their conversations were unbearably tense. Something lingered in the air that needed to be confronted before they embarked on the journey to defeat Vold-, Voldemort. For once, Ron realised it was he who would have to act, and fast.

He looked over his shoulders to see the object of his dreams slaving away at the dishes.

Knowing Hermione, she would probably have volunteered herself into the mess. He smiled. She was always so kind, especially towards people who didn’t always deserve it. Ron cringed at all the times he had been in the wrong when dealing with Hermione and how she had relentlessly forgiven him. He thought she would have finally reached her boiling point with the Lavender fiasco, but it was a credit to their friendship that they had been able resolve their differences, with the help of a little poisoning.

Presently, Hermione’s hair had fallen out of the bun she had attempted to place it within and had now assumed its usual form. It was bushy and untamed, and repeatedly fell into her eyes. She would then wisp it away with an absent-minded flick of the finger. Ron could have watched her do it for hours.

It always annoyed Ron how she couldn’t realise how beautiful she was. Her hair matched her personality perfectly, both were fiery, uncontained and unabashedly unique. However, Hermione Granger was a lot more than just aesthetically pleasing. She was incredibly intelligent. She knew just about everything about everything, and Ron was certain that Harry and he would not be alive if not for her. She was always a loyal friend demonstrated by when she had faithfully transmitted messages between Harry and Ron whilst they had their ‘disagreement’ during the Tri-Wizard Tournament. She stood up for what she believed in and did not give a flying Bludger what anyone thought of her.

In all, she was pretty brilliant!

He needed to act.

******************************

Hermione and Ginny sat down beside Harry and Ron under the large oak tree next to the lake. The day had been demanding, but the hard work allowed them to enjoy the quietness and majesty of the Burrow without guilt. The sun was setting off in the horizon and the sky was tinged in a wondrous shade of red and orange.

Ginny suddenly rose and sat next to Harry who looked extremely perplexed by this act. They talked in husked tones for a moment. Then they abruptly rose, needing privacy to work out their problems.

“We’re going to take a walk for a bit,” Harry said to Ron and Hermione, who both nodded.

Ron and Hermione watched their friends walk towards the place where the sun and the land met.

“It’s good that they’re finally talking,” Hermione commented off-handedly. Ron seemed to take this as an insinuation.

“Err, yeah,” Ron replied unable to summon the words to say what he wanted.

Ron, ever the emotionally handicapped, decided to take the conversation into safer territory.

“So I was reading that book you gave me to read about curses. Ahh what was it?” his eyebrows gazed intently at the grass as he attempted to recall the title. Hermione watched him, highly amused by such a development as Ron actually reading a book.

“Yeah the ‘1001 Dark Curses and their Counters’,” Ron stated proudly, as if remembering the title was an achievement in itself, “it was actually quite useful, what I have read of it anyway. I can’t wait to try some of those curses on Death Eaters,” he added as an afterthought.

Would she take the bait?

“RON! Those curses are dangerous, not to mention extremely difficult to pull off. You could seriously injure yourself if you don’t get it right. I just wanted you to read the counter curses, not the curses themselves!” chided Hermione who was positively mortified at the prospect of Ron practicing some of those dangerous spells.

Ron looked at her for a long while in silence. He knew his Hermione very well. Then, he broke out into fits of laughter. Hermione was livid at the fact that he could think this was a joking matter.

“This is not funny Ron. You..and Harry could get seriously hurt!” snapped Hermione.

“Relax, Hermione. I was kidding. I don’t intend to do any killing or maiming, just defense and some simple hexes. They are usually enough, don’t need those bloody madman curses to win a fight I don’t think,” Ron was still recovering from the hilarity of Hermione’s expression.

Hermione was ready to breathe fire, but tried to calm herself. This could not go anywhere good if she continued getting frustrated.

“Although I think we will need to know some different spells. Like rarer ones that will be harder to counter,” Ron said assuming his serious tone.

“I know, I’ve been doing some reading and-”

“You? Reading? No?!” Ron interrupted, pretending to be scandalized. Immediately he realised his error and dread overcame him.

Nice work Weasley. She’s going to hex you back to the Hogwarts.

To his great surprise, Hermione starred at him and then started laughing. After the initial shock, Ron too laughed.
His Hermione still managed to surprise him after all these years. God her laugh is amazing.

“You know Ron, I am kind of surprised you actually read the book I gave you because I saw Harry’s book looking …. unopened,” she said in between giggles.

“He’s just got other things on his mind. And you shouldn’t be so surprised, I listen to what you say,” he said.

“Really?” she asked in mock curiosity, “because I seem to recall a rather unused Daily Planner that I gave you, which was meant to help with your studies,” a grin playing across her lips as she spoke.

“Well yeah, that was just mental,” replied Ron without thinking

Oh Bugger.

“Ahh actually it wasn’t. It was a brilliant plan I just couldn’t appreciate it. Really good idea though, I was kind of not too into it because I hate work,” he finished hurriedly and awaited Hermione’s response.

She looked into his clear blue eyes as if trying to find the answer to something there. For the second time, she started laughing to Ron’s great surprise. Recovering again from the shock, Ron grinned broadly.

“God I love it when you laugh.”

Shit.

Ron hadn’t meant to say it would loud. He looked everywhere except at Hermione.

Hermione immediately stiffened and blushed furiously.

“What did you say?” Herimone asked nervously, thinking she had misheard and praying to God at the same time that she hadn’t.

Now you’ve done it. She’s going to laugh at you again. Which wouldn’t be entirely bad I guess. I love it when she laughs. But then she might tell Ginny and Ginny will tell Fred and George and I would never hear the end of it. But you have to do something.

Summoning all his Gryffindor courage, he took a deep breath and began tentatively.

“I just like it when you laugh,” he said almost too quietly to hear. He was looking at the still pond. He turned to look at Hermione who seemed too overwhelmed to actually respond. He took this as a positive sign.

Either that or she was saving her energy for one hell of a hex that would send him across the world to Durmstrang.

Krum. If I saw him I would give him a piece of my mind. Bloody Bulgarian Quidditch-playing, woman stealing, and improperly pronouncing name gi- back to the situation at hand Weasley.

Just be honest with her.

“What I mean is that I think I could spend my whole life just trying to make you laugh and it would be completely worth it.” Even as he said it he thought it would sound lame, but it was the truth.

He was now looking into her eyes. He searched for some reprimand to his forthrightness. It wasn’t quite an “I love you” but it meant as much, maybe even more.

Her chocolate eyes were so gorgeous. They were soft and kind, as if able to see only the good in him. She made him feel so much more than he thought he could be. She made him feel like the man he dreamed of being.

The calm breeze was now blowing her disheveled hair behind her. A wide smile crept across her face.

“Oh Ron!”

With that she closed the gap between them and embraced him. Her face rested on his shoulders and her arms were flung around his neck. After a few brief moments of indecision, his arms wrapped themselves around her waist.

The embrace could have lasted forever. But things had to be said. And done.

She slowly broke apart from the embrace and peered into his eyes. Tears threatened to overwhelm her and for once Ron knew he was on the right track. She was so close now that he could see her lovely pink lips that were simply waiting to be kissed. But he had to say it before he lost his nerve.

“I really like you Hermione. I’m sorry I’m always such a jerk all the time. Its usually because I don’t know how to act around you since I started feeling this way, which has been ages now,” Ron said calmly. He realised he had already gone too far to take anything back, he may at least tell her the whole truth. “The truth is, I’m crazy about you, Hermione.”

His ocean-blue eyes pierced her’s, and told her that he was being genuine. She knew this could not have been easy for him.

That was her Ron. Courageous, loving and doing what needed to be done.

“Ron,” Hermione peered at him through her brown eyes. “I really like you as well. I haven’t been all that friendly around you either, especially with the whole-” Ron suddenly put a finger to her lips to silence her.

There would be time for that discussion later, but it was not important right now.

With that he slowly brought his lips to hers. His lips were unsure at first. But as he felt Hermione’s lips respond, he intensified his kiss. His tongue traced the outside of her lips. With a little hesitation, they parted their lips and explored each other’s mouths. The sensation was overwhelming. Ron’s left hand slide up and rubbed her back, eventually coming to a rest on her smooth neck. Hermione’s hand rested on Ron’s cheeks, as if holding onto the most important thing in her life.

They finally broke the kiss. Both seemed out of breath but extremely pleased.

“It appears we finally agree on something Ron,” Hermione said slyly, glancing at Ron through the corner of her eye.

“Huh?” Truth be told, Ron could not process anything right now, not after that brilliant kiss. He just stared at her blankly. He had never been more clueless or happier in his life.

“Oh honestly Ron!” said Hermione with an exasperated tone, but her grin gave away her true happiness.

With that she moved towards Ron and met his lips in another tender and heartfelt kiss.

So engrossed in one another’s kiss were they that they did not realise their two friends walk quickly by. The red haired girl looked at the bespectacled boy and mouthed something along the lines of “finally” whilst rolling her eyes. The black haired boy just grinned happily and proceeded to make retching expressions that caused the other to giggle silently. But never once did they invite the attention of the two people under the tree by the pond, who for the moment seemed to be completely oblivious to everything except each other.

THE END.