Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never Ordinary by harrypotterfangirl21

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A/N: Again, I do not own Tom Riddle, Harry Potter, or anything from the Harry Potter world.
Thanks again to Sonicdale, my wonderful Beta. :)
Sorry that this chapter is so short! The next one will be long, I swear. :)
It was now spring, and the orphans were allowed outside again.

Billy spent most of his time visiting his rabbit’s grave; Tom spent most of his time testing his powers indoors, away from everyone else. He was now able to move things faster and farther without touching them, and could control animals. He could make people tell the truth, and could detect when they were lying to him simply by looking them in the eye. He felt… powerful when he did so; like nothing and nobody could ever stop him. It was a feeling Tom enjoyed immensely, and did not plan on relinquishing anytime soon.

Today, Tom had lifted his heavy wardrobe with his mind and moved it across the room. True, he had to take a minute’s break before he could move it back again, but it was definitely progress.

Now he was reading a book borrowed from the orphanage’s small library, and was quite engrossed in it when his door opened.

Mrs. Cole walked in without knocking and simply looked at Tom for a second, tipping her head to the side as if confused. Not that she wasn’t ” actually, Tom Marvolo Riddle was one of the most confusing people she had ever met, even if he was only eleven.

Sure, he looked normal. In fact, Tom was quite handsome. Pale, tall for his age, and dark-haired, he looked nothing like his mother. It was his personality that was disturbing. Nasty things had happened, all signs leading to Tom Riddle, but no one had been able to prove that he had done anything. And he refused to interact with the other children, isolating himself in his room all day and only leaving to eat.

By this time, Tom was getting annoyed. Mrs. Cole had been staring at him for several minutes now, lost in her own thoughts, and he couldn’t concentrate on his book. He had read the same sentence six times without one word of it sinking in.

“Did you need something, Mrs. Cole?” he asked, not caring if he was being respectful.

“Why are you in your room? Why aren’t you playing outside like all the normal children?” she demanded, snapping out of her reverie.

“I would rather read,” came Tom’s silky reply. He was not at all upset that she had called him abnormal: in fact, he took it as a compliment.

“Come on,” said Mrs. Cole.

“Excuse me?” said Tom, not without a hint of venom. He looked up for the first time since she had entered the room and met her gaze.

“Come on outside. You’re not staying in today. It’s beautiful out, and it’s bad for you to never get exercise.” Mrs. Cole was getting thoroughly annoyed now. Why wouldn’t he just listen to her? she wondered.

Tom knew there was no point in arguing any further. Sighing, he marked his place and trooped outside, leaving behind a very bemused Mrs. Cole.

He made his way down the aged and cracked stone steps that led to the backyard. It wasn’t really a backyard, just a small clearing with some grass. There was a tiny forest next to it, but of course, the children were forbidden from going in.

Veering away from the other children, Tom found a large rock to sit on that bordered the forest. He began to think about how much he hated life at the orphanage, and he wished very much now that he had brought out his book. Suddenly, a large green snake slithered out from beneath the rock. Tom, however, was unfazed and simply stared at the creature, grateful for the distraction from his boredom.

“Hello,” he whispered to it, “My name is Tom. What’s yours?” Even though the snake couldn’t talk back, it was nice for Tom to be able to talk to something.

The snake cocked its head for a moment, looking at Tom appraisingly. “My name is Nagini,” it hissed back.

Tom was shocked. “Y-you can understand me?” he asked.

“Oh yes,” said Nagini, “Usually I don’t understand humans, but you are different.”

But before Tom could reply, he heard the all-too-familiar shriek. “Tom! Interact with the others and get away from the forest! And do it NOW!”

“I have to go,” he said. “But I promise I’ll come back and talk to you.”

Nagini nodded and slithered back under the rock. Tom simply sat there for another moment, then got up and made his way to the orphanage again. This must be a new power of his: he could talk to snakes.

As he packed for the orphanage’s upcoming annual trip to the seashore, Tom kept reliving his and Nagini’s conversation over and over; just to convince himself that it had really happened. Usually he accepted immediately whatever new power he had discovered, but this one… this one took a while to sink in. One thing the snake had said kept playing over and over in his head like a broken record.

You are different. Tom wasn’t normal, just the opposite. He would never be remembered as normal, but special. Normality was for other, weaker people; Tom was destined for greatness, no matter the price.

You are different. And soon enough, everyone would know just how much…