Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Aetas nam mutatio by H Cooper

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: I just wanted to give a quick word of thanks to all my loyal readers and reviewers, and an uber-thank you to my dear friend 'harryandthepotters', who has been nothing but supportive.

Disclaimer: Characters and places all belong to J.K.Rowling.

*****

Ron lay awake with his arms crossed behind his head, feeling decidedly more relaxed than usual. For the past couple of weeks, Hermione had been acting very strangely: spending less time in the common room and refusing to come out with them. Ron had just about convinced himself that she was avoiding him, but today she seemed to be almost back to normal. He didn’t know what had happened to make her change back: perhaps she had finally spent enough time sitting alone in the library. Whatever had happened though, Ron didn’t care. All that mattered was that Hermione had started up a conversation with him today, and it hadn’t been tense, or full of uncomfortable silences.

He let out a sigh and let himself relax into the beginnings of sleep. Tomorrow would be Saturday, and as it was the first Saturday of the month it would be a Hogsmeade day. There would be no mention of exams, just warm butterbeer and a day out with his best friends.

*****

“What do you mean, you’re not coming?”

“Exactly that. I’m not coming today. I still have some work to do,” Hermione spoke calmly, trying to ignore the look of disappointment on Ron’s face.

“But you have all next week to work! Come on Hermione, we haven’t had time for just the three of us in ages!”

Hermione felt a pang of guilt, but pushed it aside.

“I know Ron, and I’m really sorry, but I’ve made other plans.”

At this, Harry looked up and frowned.

“I thought you said you were working?”

“Yes. Those are my plans,” she hastened, “to work, that is.”

“Right. Well, you know I’d rather you came with us Hermione, but if you really have to work then I’m not going to stop you,” he said resignedly.

“Thanks Harry. It is really important.”

“But Hermione! Today was going to be so much fun,” Ron moaned, downcast.

“You can still have fun with Harry. Besides, it’s not like we can’t hang out here when you get back,” she smiled.

“Fine,” he gave in. Ron didn’t want her to become distant again, and she was right: they would still have the afternoon to talk.

“Have a nice day, then,” she said, as they got up to leave the common room.

“Yeah, you too Hermione,” Harry smiled, and they both walked out through the portrait hole.

*****

Ginny Weasley was sitting in the Three Broomsticks with a group of sixth year Gryffindors, when she overheard something at the table next to them that drew her attention away from her friends. Sitting at the corner-table by the fireplace were Terry Boot and Anthony Goldstein, and their conversation caught her attention.

“No, Michael couldn’t come today,” Anthony was saying.

“Why not?”

“Isn’t it obvious? He’s with her again, isn’t he?”

At this, Ginny paid even closer attention. She was happy enough without Michael Corner in her life, but she was always interested in the latest gossip.

“Honestly. Spending all that time at the ‘library’. Who do they think they’re kidding? I know she’s a little bookworm, but Michael’s not exactly the studious type. I’ve a fair idea of what they’ve been doing during those hours of ‘revision’,” Terry laughed sleazily.

“I know. Who’d have thought it, eh? Hermione Granger’s obviously not as composed as she seems!”

At this they both burst into raucous laughter, but Ginny had heard enough. Standing up abruptly, she made her excuses to her friends and headed back towards the castle.

*****

When she returned to Hogwarts, she did not have to look far before she found them. The school was almost entirely deserted, and there, sitting at the far end of the Great Hall with their shoulders pressed together, were Hermione and Michael. They didn’t see her as she entered the hall, and as she walked towards them Michael said something which made Hermione laugh girlishly.

When she was about ten feet away they noticed her, and although she went bright red, Hermione pulled Michael back when he tried to spring away from her.

“Hermione,” Ginny said, rather coldly.

“Hello Ginny. You’re back early,” Hermione replied, her voice steady.

“Well I heard something that I thought I should check out,” she said, one eyebrow raised.

At this Michael unfroze.

“Anthony…I’ll kill him,” he muttered violently.

“So this is work, is it?” Ginny enquired.

“Actually, we were just taking a break,” Hermione answered calmly.

“I can see that.”

There was a moment of tense silence, which Ginny then broke, unleashing her anger.

“Well this is certainly a surprise, Hermione. I come back to find you’re conducting a secret affair with my ex-boyfriend!”

“Ginny, you broke up with me. It’s not like I ever did anything to hurt you!” Michael stood up, facing her across the table.

“It’s alright, Michael,” Hermione murmured, putting a hand on his sleeve. “Why don’t you leave me and Ginny to talk, ok?”

Michael looked at Hermione’s resolute expression, and sighed.

“Alright Hermione. I’ll catch up with you later.”

He threw a last glance towards Ginny, and then walked out of the hall.

When he had walked out through the doors, Hermione turned back to Ginny.

“I’m sorry if this upset you Ginny, but I didn’t realise that you wouldn’t want me to date him.”

Ginny groaned in frustration and slumped down into the seat opposite her.

“It’s not about that, Hermione, surely you didn’t think I’d stop you from seeing him?”

Hermione looked confused.

“Then what is the problem, Ginny?”

“You want just one?” Ginny asked, her anger returning. “How about you’ve been lying to me, never mind Harry and Ron? Or maybe that you didn’t think to ask whether I would mind if you went out with Michael? Ok, I wouldn’t have cared, but it would have been nice to know that you would consider my feelings first! Or perhaps - and this is really what gets to me Hermione - perhaps it’s that you’ve just brushed Ron aside, you’re just over him like that,” she motioned angrily.

Hermione, who had been listening patiently, now frowned at her.

“And what makes you so sure of that, Ginny? You always jump to these stupid conclusions! Why are you so convinced that I was completely in love with your brother?” she finished angrily.

Ginny, however, groaned in frustration.

“Because you were, Hermione!” she said, the anger leaving her voice. Now she seemed more sad than furious.

“I know you were, and I know he was too, and you’re both just so useless when it comes to each other!”

“How can you say that? You know what he told you, it’s not like it was a long time ago. Surely, Ginny, surely if he’d felt something he would have said so? Rather than endlessly denying it, over and over,” she trailed off, trying to control her voice.

“But what if he’s just too shy?” Ginny asked, desperately.

“And how likely is that? Look Ginny, it may not be all passion and fireworks with Michael, but I really like him and, if it’s not going to hurt you, I’m going to carry on seeing him. Ron’s opinion…” she faltered, “well who says it counts, anyway? Maybe there was a time when I wanted something more from him, but it was never serious.”

Ginny opened her mouth to protest, but Hermione stood up and got ready to leave.

“I would really appreciate it if you would support me in this, Ginny. I don’t want to hurt you, but at the same time I really want this relationship with Michael to work.”

In reply, Ginny merely nodded and gave a small sigh. She knew she wouldn’t get through to Hermione in this stubborn mood, and she really didn’t mind about Michael. She watched as her friend walked slowly away, wishing her brother wasn’t such an idiot.

*****