Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Aetas nam mutatio by H Cooper

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: None of the characters and places mentioned below are all miney mine. Much as I hate to admit it, they belong to J.K.Rowling.

*****

Harry and Ron were sitting in the great hall, eagerly munching their way through their large breakfasts. Glancing up, Ron noticed Hermione entering. Seeing her search the room with her eyes, he stood up from the table and began waving madly.

“Hermione! Hermione, we’re over here!”

Hermione wasn’t looking at him, however. She was staring fixedly at a spot on the other side of the hall. As Ron watched, he saw her give a slight shake of her head. Still trying to attract her attention, he glanced around to see who she was throwing such a worried look. What he saw made him freeze mid-wave. Striding purposefully towards Hermione was Michael Corner, smiling broadly. When he reached her he whispered in her ear and, though she still looked concerned, she let him slide his arm around her waist protectively and lead her away to the Ravenclaw table. Ron sank slowly down into his seat.

“What the hell…” he muttered to himself.

It was a few minutes before Harry noticed that Ron had stopped talking.

“Ron?”

He got no reply.

“Ron? Ron! Anybody in there?” he joked, waving his hand in front of Ron’s face.

In reply, Ron merely batted Harry’s hand away, and continued to stare morosely at the Ravenclaw table. Harry swivelled around in his seat, attempting to pinpoint the source of Ron’s fascination. When his eyes came to rest on Hermione, who by now had Michael’s arm draped casually across her shoulders, he drew a sharp intake of breath.

*****

When Ginny arrived at the table, she noticed Harry and her brother both staring, mouths agape, at the Ravenclaw table. Sitting down next to Ron, she looked over and realised who they were watching.

“Ah, so they’ve finally gone public then?” she asked, still with a hint of bitterness in her voice.

Ron rounded on her immediately.

“You knew about this?” he exclaimed.

Ginny’s eyes widened as she began to stammer, trying and failing to find an excuse. Finally, she sighed and spoke resignedly, “I’ve known for about a week.”

Harry, too, was now staring at her.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” he demanded angrily.

“It was really none of my business,” she replied, brows furrowed at their expressions.

“None of your business? Ginny, he’s your ex-boyfriend! She’s your friend! She’s our friend!” Ron said, not bothering to lower his voice. They were beginning to attract attention from the students sitting nearby.

“So?” she cried angrily. “It’s Hermione’s choice as to whether or not she tells people, and I only know because I found them together. I didn’t have the right to tell you their personal affairs.”

Harry snorted contemptuously.

“Affairs is right. So they’ve been seeing each other in secret? How cheesy,” he said bitterly.

Ron ignored Harry completely and continued to focus on his sister.

“Michael Corner doesn’t deserve any favours from anyone,” Ron exclaimed. “He acted like a complete twerp when he went out with you, running off with that Cho Chang! And as for Hermione, what right does she think she has to-”

“Don’t you dare!” Ginny cut him off, furious. “I’m actually with Hermione on this one, Ron. How can you possibly accuse her of doing something wrong? This is all your bloody fault anyway!” she finished, slamming her breakfast things down on the table and storming out of the hall.

Ron gaped after her, before turning to Harry.

My fault? How can this in any way be my fault?”

He suddenly became aware of the silence that resonated throughout the room. Glancing across to the Ravenclaw table, he saw Hermione staring at them with wide eyes, blushing furiously. The sight of her face caused him to scowl darkly, and he too pushed his way angrily out of the hall.

Harry was left sitting alone at the table as tentative whispers began to circulate. Sighing, and throwing a scornful look in Hermione’s direction, he followed after Ron and made his way towards the common room.

*****

Hermione entered the common room just minutes after Harry, looking red-faced and out of breath.

“Harry?” she pleaded, willing him to turn around and look at her.

“What, Hermione?” he asked wearily.

“I’m sorry,” she said, wishing she could wipe the look of disappointment from his face.

“What for? For lying to us all this time? Or for not trusting us enough to tell us?”

“For everything, Harry. You know I would have told you, but it was just so…it didn’t even feel real until recently.”

Harry snorted.

“I’m sure Michael didn’t feel that way.”

“No…” she muttered, “well I suppose you’re right. But I was going to tell you! It just never seemed like the right time…” she trailed off, glancing hopefully at him.

“Whatever you say, Hermione. Look, I don’t really want to talk about this now. I’m going outside to get some air, and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t follow me,” he said, avoiding her eyes and walking out of the common room.

Hermione hung her head and tried desperately not to cry. Suddenly, a voice broke the silence and made her jump. She hadn’t realised anyone else was in the room.

“Are you surprised that he’s pissed off?” Ron asked bitterly from behind her.

She spun around to look at him, her face falling when she saw the anger in his eyes.

“Ron “”

“Save it, Hermione. It’s a little late for excuses, don’t you think?”

“It’s not an excuse Ron, it’s what really happened,” she said, feeling irritation beginning to grip at her.

“Sure. ‘What really happened’. Would you like to know what I think really happened? I think you decided you weren’t getting enough attention so you threw yourself at Michael Corner, my little sister’s ex-boyfriend. I think you decided you were too high and mighty to be mixing with Harry and me, so you lied to us and snuck off with that stupid idiot. And I think you didn’t tell us about it, because you’re too bloody embarrassed that you’re second to Ginny in something.”

Hermione was furious. She wasn’t going to apologise now, not when he was being such a prat.

“That’s what you think happened?” she yelled. “Well then you’re obviously far more stupid than I thought you were!”

“Oh great, Hermione, what a fantastic way to apologise!”

“Why the hell should I apologise to you? You ridiculous, childish little brat!”

“Hermione, this is not being childish! This is seeing the mistake that you are too flipping conceited to notice you’re making!”

“Mistake? What, Ron, you don’t like it that I’m finally happy?”

“Happy?!” he cried, laughing bitterly. “You’ll never be happy with that prick! Why can’t you see what an idiot you’re being going out with him?”

Hermione let out an angry groan.

“Why is my going out with Michael such a huge mistake in your eyes, Ron?”

“Because it is a mistake, why can’t you understand that?” he yelled, frustration sweeping over him in waves.

“Really, Ron? Well what can you say to convince me, huh?” she cried, a strange look in her eyes that Ron was too angry to notice. “Why don’t you do something to convince me?”

She stood there, breathing heavily, with her fists clenched by her sides. When Ron showed no signs of responding, she turned and ran out of the dormitory, angry tears running down her cheeks.

“Damnit!” Ron shouted at no one in particular, when she had gone, slamming his hand against the desk. “Why don’t I?”

*****