Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Aetas nam mutatio by H Cooper

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: For those of you who aren't the sharpest tools in the box, the characters and places belong to J.K.Rowling, not me.

*****

“Ok idiot boy, what did you do to Hermione?”

Ron gave a start and looked up to see Ginny standing in front of him.

“What do you mean?”

“Well you must have done something to her, because she’s sitting in the girls’ toilets refusing to come out. Bit of a flash-back for you, I’d imagine.”

“Yeah? And what am I supposed to do about it?” Ron said petulantly. “Ow!” he cried out, rubbing the back of his head. “There was no need to smack me!”

“You’re such a fool! Why are you kicking up a fuss over this Michael thing?”

“Ginny, of all people I would have thought you would understand. He’s your -”

“Ex-boyfriend. I know. But honestly Ron, if I can get over that then why can’t you?”

“It’s not just that, though,” he sighed.

“Then what else is it? If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were jealous, but that can’t be it, can it? Because you ‘like someone else’,” she said, eyebrow raised meaningfully.

“Well obviously it’s not about that.”

“Then get over your bloody pride and go apologise! I can’t believe you don’t care that she’s out there sobbing because you were horrible to her!”

“Gin, of course I care. It’s just I know she’s making a huge mistake,” he groaned.

“Be that as it may, if it is a mistake, that’s up to her to discover for herself. You just have to bite your tongue, swallow any feelings that might be getting in the way “”

“Ginny…” he cut in, threateningly.

“- and just get over yourself. She’s one of your best friends, Ron; you don’t want to lose her over something as stupid as your pride.”

Ron opened his mouth to protest, but then changed his mind. She was right, again.

“Fine. I suppose you’re right.”

“I always am,” she smiled. “Don’t you think this means I’ve forgiven you, though,” she said, but when Ron looked at her she was grinning.

“Thanks Gin.”

“That’s alright. It’s a sister’s duty to make sure her brother does the right thing.”

Ron smiled, and headed off towards the girls’ toilets.

*****

He stood awkwardly by the entrance to the girls’ toilets, unsure of what to do. Tentatively, he knocked on the door. There was no answer.

“Hermione? I know you’re in there. Can you please come out and talk to me?”

He got no reply. Pressing his ear against the door, Ron could hear muffled sniffs coming from within.

“Hermione, please come out here!”

Still, she didn’t come out.

“Hermione, if you don’t come out here I’m going to have to come in!” he threatened.

When there was still no reply, Ron felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. He couldn’t possibly march in to the girls’ toilets; there might be other girls in there! Just as he was about to give up and leave, he heard a loud sob from inside. Realising that he couldn’t leave her crying like that, Ron braced himself, and strode into the room.

He relaxed inwardly when he entered and there was only one cubicle occupied.

“Hermione?” he said cautiously, knocking on the cubicle door.

After a few minutes silence, he heard the sound of a lock being drawn back, and the door opened backwards revealing Hermione’s tear-stained face.

“If you have come here to yell at me again, Ronald Weasley, I’ll thank you to leave right now.”

“I haven’t come to yell,” Ron sighed.

“Good,” she replied, “because I think I’ve had about enough of that for one day.”

“I know. I’m sorry Hermione, I realise I may have overreacted a bit.”

He looked up and saw her raising an eyebrow at the phrase ‘a bit’.

“Fine. More than a bit. Maybe,” he grumbled.

She stared at him for a moment, and then her expression changed.

“Well I’m sorry too. I should have told you about Michael and I “” Ron winced slightly, but thankfully she didn’t notice, “- you should have known right from the start. But…I still don’t understand why you got so mad. You didn’t even seem to care that much that I hadn’t told you…” she trailed off, regarding him carefully.

“Yeah well, I was just being a bit of an idiot. I spoke to Ginny and she told me she was ok with the whole-,” he paused, motioning with his hands in an attempt to avoid saying the words, “-thing. It’s up to you who you date, Hermione, and I’m sorry I upset you,” he scratched his head in an awkward, fidgety way, which made her smile.

“Well, I suppose that’s not unusual. You being an idiot, that is,” she joked.

“Hey!” he protested.

“Just be glad I’m forgiving you, Ronald Weasley,” Hermione said, a tone of warning in her voice.

“I am. And I accept your apology. About not telling me, I mean. Although, for future reference, all of this could have been avoided if you’d just told me the truth from the start.”

“Don’t push it, Weasley,” she threatened, but she smiled as she did so. Suddenly, a stricken look crossed her face. “Ron! We’re missing charms!”

“Calm down, we’ve only missed ten minutes. Besides, you’re Flitwick’s favourite, and I’ll just ride along on your coattails!”

Laughing, they left the toilets, Hermione dragging Ron along behind her.

*****

When Ron and Hermione arrived at their Charms lesson, Harry was already sitting at a desk by the window, staring out into space whilst everyone else copied out notes.

“Mr Weasley, Miss Granger, how nice of you to join us,” Professor Flitwick said, raising an eyebrow at their red faces and heavy panting.

“Sorry Professor,” Ron mumbled, “our patrol ran over because of an incident with some third years.”

Though Flitwick looked sceptical, he glanced at Hermione who nodded in assent, and sighed.

“Well, if that is the case then I will let it go this time. But I want you to catch up on the charm you have missed for homework. Please, sit down and copy up your classmates’ notes,” he said resignedly.

Ron moved to sit next to Harry, but Hermione stopped him.

“Ron, I need to talk to Harry. Do you mind?” she whispered.

“That’s ok. I’ll sit next to Seamus,” he said, reading the concern on Hermione’s face.

Hermione smiled, and moved across to Harry’s desk. Touching his arm gently, she said, “Harry? Are you alright?”

He regarded her for a moment, and then seemed to come to a decision.

“Yeah. Look Hermione, I’ll not say I’m particularly fond of Michael Corner, but if being with him is what you want,” he paused, watching her carefully, “well, then I’m happy for you. The only reason I got so mad before was because you didn’t tell me. You just went sneaking around with him behind our backs.”

Hermione sighed.

“I know I was acting strangely. I just thought you’d judge me for it and…well, I suppose by the time I wanted to tell you, I’d left it a bit too late.”

“Judge you? Don’t be ridiculous Hermione, if you’d just told me from the outset I would have been perfectly calm about it,” Harry protested.

Hermione laughed, causing a frown to cross his face.

“What’s so funny?” he asked.

“Oh come on Harry, you know how protective you get! I hardly think you would have been ‘perfectly calm about it’,” she smiled.

Harry opened his mouth to protest, but in the end he smiled back at her.

“Fine, you may have a point there. But all the same, just tell me next time, ok? Don’t leave me to find out by accident,” he said pointedly.

“I promise,” Hermione replied seriously, before adding, “Are we ok now?”

“Yeah. You know I can’t stay mad at you for long,” he grinned.

Hermione smiled as the relief swept over her. Slowly, they eased back into conversation and settled down for the remainder of the lesson.

*****
That evening, Ron and Hermione were sitting in the common room, discussing Christmas plans.

“Actually, I’m going home this year,” Ron was saying.

“Really? I had assumed that you would be staying here to keep Harry company,” Hermione replied, surprised.

“Oh Harry will be fine, he’s coming home with me.”

“Oh…” she said as she struggled to hold back her jealousy, “that’s nice.”

Ron grinned as he saw the look on Hermione’s face.

“Now, there was something I was meant to ask you…” he muttered, “but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was…” Glancing out of the corner of his eye, Ron saw the effect his teasing was having on her.

“Oh, now I remember! Do you want to come and stay with us over Christmas, Hermione?” he asked casually.

“Ron, that would be fantastic!” she grinned, enveloping him in a brief hug.

“Ah, it’s nothing really. Mum wanted a big family Christmas, and she said it wouldn’t be family without the two of you,” he smiled, a little embarrassed at the hug.

They began discussing their plans for the holiday, and just as Hermione was laughing at Ron’s suggestion of a Chudley Cannons themed Christmas, Harry strolled into the common room.

“Harry!” Hermione cried out, still struggling to maintain a straight face. “Where have you been? You disappeared after dinner.”

“What? Oh, Ginny just needed some help with her Defence Against the Dark Arts practical stuff,” he said, sinking down into a nearby chair.

“Hah! And she preaches to me about not getting help from Hermione!” Ron snorted.

Hermione was throwing Harry a very strange look.

“So that’s where you’ve been for the last three hours? Helping Ginny?” she asked.

“Yeah, why?”

“No reason. She must have needed a lot of practise, that’s all,” Hermione murmured.

Harry blushed slightly, reading her tone.

“She did. Evidently she’s not as good as we all thought,” he said emphatically.

“Well, I could have told you that,” Ron laughed, eager to show up his sister.

“Hmm,” Hermione murmured, throwing Harry one last quizzical look. Then, stretching, she said, “It’s actually quite late, I think I’m going to head on up to bed. Anyway, Ginny should be back soon.”

Harry glanced at her, frustrated by her mocking tone.

“Night, Hermione,” Ron yawned. “I think I’ll follow your lead. You coming up, Harry?”

“Hmm? Sure. Night, Hermione,” he added, throwing her a warning look.

“Goodnight,” she smiled sweetly and made her way upstairs.

*****

Ginny walked into the girls’ dormitory just as Hermione was getting into bed.

“Hi Ginny,” she smiled, “you’re late back.”

“I know. I was doing some work on my Defence Against the Dark Arts,” she said sleepily.

“Yes, I heard about that,” Hermione raised her eyebrow knowingly.

“What?” Ginny took in her friend’s expression.

“What’s going on, Ginny? You’re one of the best students in your Defence Against the Dark Arts class; surely you didn’t need Harry to help you for three hours?”

Ginny blushed furiously.

“That’s not true, I’ve been having some problems lately…” she broke off, seeing Hermione’s disbelieving face. “Ok fine. But I did need a little guidance, and what’s wrong with wanting to spend some time with a friend?”

Hermione’s eyebrows shot up.

“A friend? That’s what Harry is?” she questioned.

“Yes. I’m Harry’s friend, so really, he should be mine…” she trailed off.

“Ginny “”

“I’m going to bed now, Hermione. Maybe we could talk about this in the morning?”

Hermione looked at Ginny’s pleading expression, and sighed.

“Alright. But you’re not worming your way out of this one; we are going to talk about it.”

“I know. I promise,” Ginny smiled, and Hermione nodded before settling back in bed.

As Hermione drifted off to sleep, Ginny looked over at her. She supposed she had to talk to someone about it, and she did trust Hermione. Sighing, she began to get ready for bed, dreading the next morning.

*****