Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Mistletoe and Ginny by hattiepotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Best Christmas Present


The light was glistening off her tears like the sunlight on a tropical oasis. It should have been beautiful, but somehow it just didn’t seem to be. Her dark hair framed her almost perfect face, but when she spoke, her voice sounded as if she was upset, and it only made him nervous. Why did she have to cry?

But then, she was changing. Her face became paler, more freckles emerged, and her hair turned a vibrant shade of “ red. Now she was perfect. Weeping softly, she shook her head.

“No. Sorry, but it’s not that simple…”

“Why? Please, don’t go, I “ I don’t want to lose you…”

Her eyes widened “ she looked mortified “ and she started to run. She was getting further and further away from him, disappearing into the distant void of emptiness that was life without her…

“COME BACK! Please come back!” he shouted, but she only kept running…


“Harry!” She sounded so close, and yet she was so far away. “Harry!”

He pulled his eyes open to find himself gazing into the very brown ones which he had just lost forever.

“What?” he asked, still confused at the sudden switch from dream to reality.

“I was just going to get a glass of water when I heard you calling out,” said Ginny, sounding concerned. “Are you ok?”

Harry turned his head and saw that he was lying on his bed on Ron’s floor. Ron was still fast asleep, snoring loudly, and Ginny was kneeling beside him, watching him anxiously.

“Oh, yeah, I think so,” he said. “Just weird dreams, that’s all.”

“Sure?”

He nodded.

“Thanks, though,” he added gratefully.

Then Harry noticed that she was only wearing her nightdress, and she was shivering slightly.

“Hey, you must be freezing,” he said.
“Yeah, I am a bit actually.” She giggled quietly. “See you tomorrow, then.”

“Today, actually,” said Harry, pointing to Ron’s clock which showed that it was gone midnight.

“Oh, right,” she whispered. “See you later!”

She got up from her spot on the carpet and went over to the door, opening it carefully so as not to make a sound.

“And Merry Christmas!”

She grinned at Harry and he grinned back, then she left “ her pale figure disappearing into the eerie shadows of the house.

Harry fell back to sleep feeling very optimistic…

* * *

He kicked something hard at the end of his bed, and opened his eyes to find the culprit “ Christmas presents! Harry was pleased to see that this year he had almost as many as Ron, who was already in the process of opening his own presents when Harry woke up.

“Merry Christmas!” said Ron cheerily. “Hey, look what Hermione got me!”

He held up a pair of bright orange pyjamas with the Chudley Cannons logo on the breast pocket.

“Beats the usual, eh Harry?”

Harry had also got pyjamas from Hermione, except that his were a deep red and had his initials stitched on in gold.

“Wow,” said Harry. “And to think “ that year all we got was homework diaries!”

He unwrapped every parcel that was on his bed in less than fifteen minutes, by which time Ron was long finished, and inspecting his gifts more carefully. They went downstairs together, meeting the girls halfway, and thanked each other for their gifts. Hermione seemed to be acting a little snappily towards Ron, but Harry just ignored it, as it wasn’t that unusual anyway.

In the kitchen were Mr and Mrs Weasley, Fred, George, Bill and Charlie, all enjoying a Christmas breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast.

“You’re here!” shrieked Ginny, rushing over to her two eldest brothers and throwing her arms round first Charlie, then Bill.

“Whoa there, Hazelnut!” said Bill, as she squeezed him half to death.

“Sorry,” she muttered, and she let go of him and went to sit back down, blushing slightly.

Harry, Ron and Hermione grabbed some breakfast, then went to compare gifts. Hermione showed them a rare quill that she had got from her parents, made from the tail feather of a phoenix and with a nib of gold. Harry and Ron exchanged looks, wondering how much something like that would cost, but quickly tried to put on normal faces again when she looked at them. They were just wondering how long they would have to wait for Christmas dinner, when they heard a gentle knocking at the door.

“What?” said Ron impatiently.

Ginny’s head peered into the room.

“Er, I was wondering if I could have a word with Harry,” she said in an uncharacteristically timid voice.

Ron looked suspicious.

“Why?”

“I just wanted to talk to him,” said Ginny innocently.

“Fine, whatever.”

There was a short pause while Harry waited for her to speak, until she said:

“Harry? Out here?”

“Oh, right,” he said, finally picking up on the fact that she wanted to speak to him alone, and wondering why on earth this could be. He got up and went to join her on the stairs, Ron and Hermione staring after him, and looked at Ginny expectantly.

“Let’s go into my room,” she said, and she led him down the stairs to her bedroom.

Once inside, Harry realised that she was looking rather anxious, and asked what was wrong.

“Well, I’ve been thinking,” she said quickly, “and it’s only because it’s Christmas and it’s driving me crazy and it’s probably going to seem completely random and you’ll wonder whether I’ve gone mad and you’ll probably never “ “

“Ginny!”

Harry had had to stop her, because she looked like she was about to explode with nerves, or else use up all her breath and suffocate.

“Right,” she said, taking a deep breath, then carrying on. “Well, I wanted to know “ and you must tell me if you just want me to go away and never talk to you again because “ “

“Ginny, please! Just tell me!”

“I “ “

She looked up at him and Harry saw that she looked as if she might cry.

“Oh, it doesn’t matter,” she said resignedly.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked. “Because it seemed pretty urgent a moment ago.”

Harry didn’t know why, but he had an overwhelming sense that he wanted to know what she had been about to tell him. Ginny had sat down on her bed, and he joined her. She looked so unhappy, and Harry suddenly realised that if she started to cry, he could have to deal with an upset girl, and that he was not good at that, so he tried to comfort her.

“Ginny, whatever it is, I’m sure it will work itself out.”

“Well, that’s the thing,” she replied. “It can’t unless I do something about it.”

“Have you spoken to Hermione?” Harry asked, hoping that he could persuade her that this was probably something that she would be better off talking to a girl about.

“No,” said Ginny promptly. “I can’t. I can only tell…”

She looked up at him again and stared into his eyes. Then she suddenly reached up and kissed him. Harry immediately pulled away out of surprise.

“Ginny, I “ “

“Oh God, sorry,” she stuttered, looking away from him and blushing like he hadn’t seen her do in years.

“No, it’s “ “

Harry put his hand up to her face and turned her head towards him, then he leant in kissed her deeply, savouring the feeling as she returned the kiss and her hands crept up into his hair. They stood up together, never breaking apart, and Harry melted in this perfect moment. His arms snaked around her body and he held her close to him. When they finally pulled back to look at each other, they both gaped in astonishment at what they had just shared.

“What was it that you wanted to tell me?” Harry asked casually.

Ginny laughed nervously.

“What the hell did we just do?” she whispered.

“Something I wish we’d done years ago,” replied Harry with a grin.

“Oh God,” said Ginny. “What a Christmas present.”

Harry hesitated, before saying:

“Ginny, I “ I realised last night that I needed you, that it’s you who can make me feel happier than anyone else I know, and I want you to know that… that if you’ll have me I… I’ll look after you better than anyone else ever could.”

Harry was surprised to hear these words coming out of his mouth “ but he couldn’t help but pray that Ginny would say something soon; she was just gaping at him open-mouthed. Then, she reached up on tiptoe and kissed him, Harry now starting to wonder whether this was really happening, or whether there had just been something dodgy in the tea this morning. This had to be the best Christmas present in the world.

When Ginny pulled away Harry was worried to see that she was looking anxious again.

“There is one small thing which may cause a problem,” she said, biting her lip. “Ron.” Harry hadn’t even thought of Ron in all the excitement, but now he could see her point. “Unless… we don’t tell him…”

“I’m not sure how easy that will be,” Harry replied. “I mean, he’s my best friend, and he’s “ “ Harry remembered with an odd feeling “ “ your brother.”

“Hey, I’m the most accomplished liar of my age, and this is Ron we’re talking about “ it’ll be simple.”

“A fair point,” said Harry, grinning again.

“And plus,” she added, “keeping it a secret will be half the fun!”

She winked at him cheekily, and he laughed and squeezed her sides, making her squeal.

“You had better look after me, Potter, or there’ll be hell to pay,” she said as they sat down on her bed together.

Harry noticed that this was exactly like what Ron had said, and smiled. He could imagine that Ginny was definitely not someone you wanted to cross.

“So, this is out little secret?” he asked.

“Yes, or at least it is for now,” she said, squeezing his leg where her hand was resting on his lap.

“Better make the most of being alone then,” he replied, and he leaned in and kissed her again, putting his hand on her cheek.

They got up together and crossed the small room to the door.

“When we leave this room,” said Ginny, “we are just friends.”

Harry nodded and gave her one final kiss, then left the room, heading upstairs to find Ron and Hermione.

He thought he could hear them arguing again as he climbed the stairs to Ron’s room, and by the time he reached the door, their voices were at full volume, yelling uncontrollably at one another.


“So I’m not quite perfect, is that it?” Hermione screamed as Harry carefully opened the door. Hermione was standing beside it, glaring at Ron, who was sitting on his bed.

“Hermione!” Ron whined. “That’s not what I meant!”

“What is it, then? Don’t want to be seen with me?”

“No! Hermione! Come on! Listen to me!” Ron cried.

“I don’t want to listen to you, Ronald! Not now, not any time! I’m fed up with your bloody “ “ Ron flinched at Hermione’s uncharacteristic choice of words “ “ mockery and your unbelievable inability to notice something that’s right in front of you! For God’s sake!”

She stormed past Harry and out of the room.

“What the “ ?” said Harry.

Ron was still scowling at the door.

“What the hell was all that about?” Harry asked him.

"I got her some of that Hair Potion stuff for Christmas,” said Ron, sighing heavily. “Would never have bothered if I’d’ve known how much trouble it would cause.”

“Why was she so angry?”

“I think she thought that I was trying to insult her hair,” answered Ron, sounding as though he wondered how someone could possibly have come to that conclusion. “Completely missed the point.”

“Oh,” said Harry. He paused. “And were you?”

“No!” cried Ron. “I just thought that she looked really “ you know “ nice “ that time at the Yule Ball.”

“And… did you tell her that?” asked Harry.

Ron hung his head.

“No,” he muttered.

Harry tried to hold it back, but he couldn’t. “You probably should.”

“I can’t,” moaned Ron. “She’ll think I “ oh, I don’t know…”

“Come on,” said Harry. “I’ll come with you.”

And he dragged him out of the room before Ron could say another word. They went down the stairs to where Ginny’s door was, and heard the sound of Hermione crying coming from behind it. Harry knocked on the door.

“Yes?” came Ginny’s voice, and Harry’s stomach jumped.

“Can I come in?” asked Ron.

“No, you can’t,” said Ginny.

“But I need to talk to Hermione!”

“Well that’s too bad, because she doesn’t want to talk to you!”

Ron looked at Harry, hoping for some more advice.

“Tell her now!” hissed Harry.

Ron nodded nervously.

“I “ er “ “ he began. Harry nodded at him. “ It’s not because she’s not perfect, because she is, and it’s not because I don’t want to be seen with her, because I do,” Ron said to the closed door. “And I only got her that stuff for Christmas because “ “ Harry urged him on “ “ because I thought she looked amazing that night at the Yule Ball.”

Harry couldn’t believe his ears. Was this Ron being sentimental? In the silence that had followed Ron’s last words, Hermione’s gentle sobbing had stopped, and Harry could almost feel her eyes staring at them through the door. Then, after a few moments, the door handle turned slowly, and Hermione’s tearful red eyes appeared in the gap between the door and the frame.

“Do you really mean that?” she murmured.

Ron hesitated, then nodded slowly. All of a sudden, she had flung the door wide open and her arms were around his neck, her mass of brown hair almost covering his face. Harry felt a hand slip into his, and saw that Ginny had edged past Ron and Hermione, but they had been too overwhelmed to notice.

“Let’s leave them to it,” she whispered in Harry’s ear, and they crept past them and down the stairs to the kitchen.

“The turkey’s in!” announced Mrs Weasley gleefully. Harry swiftly let go of Ginny’s hand as her mother turned to look at them. “I want you all to look smart for dinner. Ginny, go and change your clothes.”

“Mum!” Ginny cried indignantly.

“I’m not having you wearing jeans for Christmas dinner. Now go and change!”

Ginny pulled a face, and Harry tried not to laugh as she stomped back upstairs.

“I’ll go and change too,” said Harry quickly, not wanting to have to help with the cooking. He turned and leapt up the stairs after Ginny, catching her up outside her room. “Do you mind? It’s just “ Ron and Hermione…”

“Already inviting yourself into my bedroom?” asked Ginny.

“Well “ no “ it’s just “ “

Ginny giggled.

“Oh don’t be stupid; I’m only joking, Harry.”

“Oh, right,” said Harry, with a sigh of relief. God it was nice to have a girl who didn’t take everything the wrong way.

Ginny opened her door and went in, with Harry follwing her. She casually pulled her top over her head, and started to rummage in her wardrobe for a new one. Harry jumped and quickly turned to face the wall. Ginny chatted to him as she changed, and after a few minutes of rustling and brushing, she said: “You can look now, by the way.”

Harry got up and looked at her, and his heart suddenly bolted into his throat. She was wearing a beautiful little dress of some floaty white material, which was cut in some unusual way, so that it flared out a little around her knees. She looked like an angel.

“W “ wow “ “ he stuttered.

Ginny smiled and bit her lip, her newly tied up hair flickering from side to side like dancing fire.

“Hey, will you put this on for me?” she asked, holding out a silver chain with tiny red jewels all along it which matched her hair.

“Sure,” said Harry, and she turned her back to him and lifted up her hair.

Harry felt her skin tingle as he touched her neck, and once he had fastened the little clasp, he ran his hands down over her shoulders and arms, and she shuddered slightly. She turned to look at him, her deep chocolate eyes gazing into his; the desire that had been building up inside her over the last five years now flickering dangerously behind them. She pressed up against him and kissed him deeply, and Harry pulled her in closer around the waist.

“We should probably show ourselves elsewhere,” said Harry quietly, still holding her in his arms, “or people will start to get suspicious.”

As they left the room, Harry’s head was spinning. This was the best Christmas “ ever.


A/N: I finally got this chapter up! Sorry it has been soooo long, but I was concentrating on finishing my other H/G fic, and I'm doing exams at the moment so have been rather busy. Hope you enjoyed it.

Next chapter: Footsie Interesting goings on under the table at Christmas lunch...