Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Deepest Star of Night by Muinthil

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Everything involving the Harry Potter world does not belong to us (although we really wish Sirius and Snape did! lol ) We do own Samiya and Cate...they are our own creations. A big thanks to our wonderful beta!!
Deepest Star of Night

Chapter One

“You two could give me a hand with this,” Cate Bajer grunted, dragging her over packed trunk into the compartment on the Hogwarts Express. Lily Evans and Samiya Rosa laughed as they both helped lift the trunk into the overhead rack.

“You bring a dead body in there, Cate?” Samiya laughed and flopped back onto the seat. None of the girls could believe they were starting their seventh year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It felt like only yesterday they met as first years at the Sorting Ceremony.

“Yeah cause you never know when you’ll need one,” Cate commented dryly. “I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t forget anything.” She constantly over packed when she went anywhere. But at least she was always prepared.

“Did you do anything interesting in Greece this year?” Lily asked curiously. Cate and her parents spent every summer at their villa in Greece.

“The usual, hiding away in the corner at my parents boring parties,” She laughed. Her parents were high in society and had a party almost every weekend through the entire summer. Cate would stay for a few minutes to make an appearance and usually try to escape back to her room once her parents were too caught up in the party to notice she was missing. “What about you, Lily? Were you able to get away from your sister as you were hoping?”

“For most of the time. I had a summer job at an ice cream shop. I worked pretty much everyday so I hardly saw Petunia. When I was home, she was out with her boyfriend anyway,” Lily explained. The relationship between her and her sister had grown worse throughout the years and Lily had been dreading the summer break because of it.

“Well at least it’s our last year and you can move out of that house,” Samiya commented. “I pretty much sat around and did absolutely nothing all summer… it was great! I hung around the pool and spent time with my family when they weren’t at work.” Samiya’s parents and brother both worked long hours at the Ministry. Her father and brother were both Aurors and her mother worked at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Her sister was a Healer at St. Mungo’s.


“That explains the tan,” Lily laughed, noticing how dark Samiya had gotten over the summer.

“It’s great, isn’t it! Too bad it’ll fade in about a month or so,” she commented, knowing that she was never able to keep a tan for long. The train had just left the station when the door to their compartment was flung open.

“Here you are Evans…. Trying to avoid your Head Girl duties?” James teased as he walked in with Sirius, Remus, and Peter in tow.

“I already did my rounds, Potter. What excuse do you have?” she asked with raised eyebrows. The last thing Lily wanted was to deal with James Potter and the rest of the incredibly annoying Marauders. They had been obnoxious since the moment she had met them, and it obviously wasn’t going to change anytime soon.

“I’ve done my share. Slytherin’s down quite a few points already,” James smirked and the rest of the boys started laughing, thinking back on their earlier encounter with Avery, Rosier, and Wilkes.

“I really don’t know what Dumbledore was thinking when he made you Head Boy,” Samiya commented, glaring at the boys. In fact all three girls were giving the Marauders dirty looks.

“What do you know? You haven’t even been a prefect,” Sirius replied haughtily, proud that his best friend had moved up in the world.

“You haven’t been either, Black.” Samiya laughed coldly. “Remus is the one who’s a prefect.” He made a face at her and then seemed to realize Cate was sitting there, looking on with amusement.

“Shouldn’t you be with your Slytherin friends?” he asked. It was rare to find a Slytherin spending time with Gryffindors, but Cate wasn’t your typical Slytherin.

“Don’t be a jerk,” Cate said rolling her eyes. After six years of comments about being friends with the ‘enemy’ she had gotten rather used to it. Just then, James noticed Snape walking by, carrying a potions set to take back to his compartment.


“Oh look, Snivellus got himself a new chemistry set.” He laughed, causing Snape to pause in the doorway. His eyes narrowed at the sight of the Gryffindor boys snickering at him.

“Piss off, Potter,” he said cruelly. James and Sirius exchanged a grin. Snape had no clue what he was getting into. Let the fun begin!

“I’d watch what I’d say if I were you Snivelly. You’re talking to the Head Boy.” James smirked, showing off his badge. Snape looked at him in disbelief. Sneering, he turned to leave but he didn’t realize that Sirius had cast a spell while James was distracting him. As he turned, he suddenly found himself falling to the ground, his new potion set shattering as it landed a few feet away from him. His shoelaces had been tied together.

“You think you’re funny?” Cate cried out standing from where she was sitting. She whipped out her wand and quickly repaired the potion set and untied Snape’s shoes.

“We’re just having fun!” Sirius laughed. Remus shook his head and looked out the window, trying his best to ignore everything that was happening. He was torn from his duties as prefect and his loyalty to his friends. Instead, he just tried to ignore the situation as best as possible.

“You’re really shallow if your idea of fun is being a bully to everyone else!” Cate shouted and stormed out of the compartment leaving Snape to pick himself up from the ground.

“You’re a real git! You think you’re so much better than everyone else but all you do is end up looking like a fool!” Samiya frowned, pushing past him and following after Cate.

“Who does she think she is?” He laughed, looking towards James and Peter who were also laughing. Lily shook her head,

“You’ve really screwed up this time, Potter,” She glared, leaving the compartment after her two friends. James frowned staring after her. Why was he always blamed for everything?

At the Sorting ceremony, Cate left Lily and Samiya to take a seat at the end of the Slytherin table. She ignored the cold looks she received from her classmates, and focused her attention on watching the rest of the school file into the room. Suddenly she could feel someone watching her. Looking across the table, she found Snape glaring at her from where he had taken a seat right opposite of her.

“Can I help you?” Cate asked, raising an eyebrow. Snape and her had never really spoken much to each other, although they were in the same year and had most of their classes together. They both usually kept to themselves.

“What do you think you were doing?” he demanded coldly.

“You mean back on the train?” she asked, not sure what he was talking about. He glared harder, confirming that was what he had meant.

“I don’t need some girl fighting my battles. Especially you.” Cate winced at the last part but didn’t have to question what he meant by it. She knew that her housemates thought her to be a traitor since she was friends with Gryffindors. She had become an outcast for it. There had been many instances where she had actually questioned why the Sorting Hat had placed her in Slytherin, instead of one of the other houses.

“Well excuse me for trying to help,” Cate said returning the glare.

“Next time mind your own business,” Snape stated just as McGonagall signaled for silence for the ceremony to begin.

Lily and Samiya headed to their table, wishing for the hundredth time that Cate could be allowed to sit with them. They knew she hated sitting by herself, being subjected to her housemates’ taunts. The two girls took seats at the middle of the table. As soon as they sat down, James and Sirius sat down on either side of them with Remus and Peter taking the seats across. Both Samiya and Lily let out low groans.

“What do you boys want?” Lily sighed, hoping that they would leave them alone.

“Ouch! I’m wounded Evans. You make it seem like you don’t want us around.” James grinned, slinging his arms over Lily’s shoulder.

“What made you think we wanted you around?” Samiya answered as Lily pushed James’ arm away.

“You’re not still sore about what happened on the train, are you?” Sirius asked slightly surprised. He had thought the girls would have gotten over it by now. Remus just shook his head at the absurdity of his friends. He knew the girls would still be upset and thought that it would be best if James and Sirius left them alone. Obviously, they didn’t listen to him.

“You’re both idiots,” Samiya stated and then turned to watch the sorting, both her and Lily trying their best to ignore the boys until they could escape to the common room.