Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Deepest Star of Night by Muinthil

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Two

“Oh great! I had to oversleep today of all days!” Cate muttered to herself as she ran towards the first class of the year, double potions with Gryffindor. Although Cate was one of Professor Slughorn’s favorites, she wouldn't make a good impression strolling in late the first day of class.

Running into the classroom she noticed that she had arrived just in time. The Professor was too busy talking to Lily and Samiya to notice her come in late. Glancing around, she noticed that all the good seats were already taken. Potter and Black were seated in Cate’s usual spot, close to Lily and Samiya. Will they ever take a hint? The only open seat left was right next to Severus Snape.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Severus asked as she sat down next to him. As if yesterday wasn’t enough torture, here she was again, smiling at him, trying to be friendly. Didn’t Bajer understand that he wanted to be left alone?

“Sitting down. What does it look like to you?” Cate replied, preparing her potions materials for the day’s lesson. Severus chose to ignore her, continuing to prepare his own materials. Usually he’d have a smart answer for her, but since when did he have to answer to a traitor like her?

“Settle down class. Scales and potions ingredients out. And most importantly, don’t forget your copies of Advanced Potions Making,” Professor Slughorn called out, pausing for a moment as the students began to take out their materials. “As you all know, this is your final year at Hogwarts and with it you will be taking your N.E.W.T. Exams. This will not be an easy year but I’m sure that you will do brilliantly in the future, such as Miss Evans, whom I am sure will succeed as a magnificent Healer. Also Miss Rosa, who will take her place among the finest Aurors the Ministry has ever seen.” Both Lily and Samiya smiled proudly at this final comment. Several students around the room rolled their eyes. It was known that Slughorn had his favorites, the two Gryffindors obviously falling into that category.

“This is all a bunch of rubbish,” Sirius whispered to James. “All these tests are a waste of our time.” Ever since the O.W.L’s, Sirius hadn’t been very enthusiastic about taking any more tests. He would prefer learning to use the theories then writing essays about the origin of the spell or potion.

“SHHHHH,” the girls both said from their seats, in front of the boys.

“Why are you two so worried? Afraid that seven years of kissing up to Slughorn won’t be enough to get a job?” James asked, leaning towards Lily and Samiya. These girls were so uptight! They were always sitting in front of the class, hanging on to the professor's every word. Well, maybe not that extreme.

“You really should start paying attention, Potter. The last time I checked I didn’t see any openings for Quidditch Cup winners with big heads like you,” Lily retorted, turning around towards them as Slughorn made his way to the opposite side of the room to assist one of the Slytherins.

“Or for annoying sidekicks who think they’re the world’s gift to women,” Samiya added, smirking at Sirius. He frowned. He’d usually be willing to teach both girls a lesson, especially after many years of pranking them. But there was something interesting about Samiya Rosa that he’d never seen before, almost intriguing in a way. Before he could say anything else James replied.

“I already know what I’m doing after I leave Hogwarts.”

“Really? Selling your autobiography to the highest bidder maybe?” Lily teased lightly. She turned back to chopping the ginger roots for the potion.

“No. I’m going to be marrying you,” he stated confidently as Sirius patted him on the back.

“Good job, Prongs!” Sirius laughed, enjoying the shocked look on Lily’s face. She quickly turned around, her face as red as her hair. He had some nerve! Why did he always have to embarrass her like that? And why was Samiya laughing?

“Come on, Lily! You have to admit it was a good answer.” Samiya laughed. Out of all the lame things that James Potter had said throughout their seven years at school, she had to admit…that was a pretty smooth comment, and enough to leave her friend speechless.

“Mr. Potter and Mr. Black! Unless you want to create an explosion in my classroom I suggest you pay attention to your potion,” Slughorn called out, finally noticing that the group of Gryffindor's weren’t doing the assignment he had given them.

“Yes, Professor,” Sirius said innocently. He waited until Slughorn turned towards Snape and Bajer’s potion before talking to Samiya once more. “You know, you going to have to start being a little nicer to me.”

“And why is that?” she replied, not bothering to turn away from her potion. Sirius leaned in closer.

“Because when Prongs marries Evans you and I are going to be spending a lot of time together.”

“HA! Is that so?” Where did these boys get their ideas? It was obvious that they didn’t lack self-confidence.

“Yeah. We might be spending a lot of time…alone. So I’m thinking we could get better acquainted,” Sirius said smoothly, winking suggestively at her as he turned back to work on the final step of the instructions.

“Do you always get your girlfriends with such lame pick up lines?” Samiya asked, interrupting Sirius before he could finish.

“That’s what you say now,” he retorted, adding the last ingredient to his potion.

“Severus, do you have the last ingredient? Severus?” Cate had been quietly working on her potion since beginning their in-class assignment. Occasionally, she glanced towards her friends on the other side of the room who seemed to be having more fun than she was. It wasn’t easy working with a potions partner who didn’t even want to talk to you.

Looking up from her potion she caught sight of a smirking Severus levitating something straight into Black and Potter’s cauldron. Neither James nor Sirius had noticed, as they were bickering with Samiya and Lily. As soon as Black had put in the last ingredient to the potion, it exploded. The contents spilled all over them.

Lily and Samiya couldn’t contain their excitement and laughter over what had just happened. Even Professor Slughorn had a difficult time hiding a smile as he sent the boys to the hospital wing, who by now had thick brown hair starting to cover their entire bodies.

“See you later, boys!” Samiya laughed as they left sulking. Cate noticed them give Snape a dirty look. She knew that they would be plotting their revenge soon.

“This is going to make things worse, you know.” Cate sighed, turning to Snape, who was rather proud of himself. Boys were so immature! Severus Snape had gained the upper hand now but he was going to have all four of the Marauders up on him next time. And this time they had an excuse. He’d never learn.

“Stay out of it, Bajer,” Snape stated coldly. He refused to let her bring down his triumph.

“So you do know who I am,” Cate teased lightly. She had never been sure if Severus Snape even knew her name seeing as he always referred to her as “you”. Maybe he didn’t hate her after all?

“Of course I know who you are. You’re the pitiful Gryffindor wannabe.” Snape sneered as he began putting his potions materials away.

“You don’t even know me,” Cate coolly stated as she left the classroom with her belongings. So much for being nice to him.