Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Deepest Star of Night by Muinthil

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Five

Severus Snape sat at the table in the back corner of the Three Broomsticks, watching his fellow students laughing and shouting throughout the pub. It was the first Hogsmeade weekend of the term and Lucius Malfoy had written to him, instructing Snape to meet him there. Snape wasn’t sure what Malfoy wanted to discuss, but wasn’t really surprised by the last minute request. Malfoy had taken him under his wing during his first year at Hogwarts. They had maintained their friendship even after Malfoy graduated from Hogwarts five years ago.

“Severus,” Lucius greeted as he strode haughtily up to the table. Snape stood from his seat and shook hands with his friend with a slight smile on his face. “I’m glad that you received my message.” Lucius took a seat across from table and quickly signaled for a fire whiskey from the bartender.

“What is it that you wished to speak to me about?” Snape asked, fiddling lightly with the mug of butterbeer in front of him.

“There’s time for that. First I want to hear how your last year at Hogwarts is going so far? Still having trouble with the Gryffindors?” Malfoy inquired. Snape was slightly surprised that Lucius was interested. They usually got right to the point, and then Malfoy was out the door. It seemed that he had other plans this time.

“It is going well. Potter and Black are as bothersome as always. Although, they seemed to have some difficulty in Potions a few weeks ago.” He smirked, still proud of causing the mishap in class. Lucius chuckled, remembering the pranks and fights between the boys back when Snape was in his first and second year.

“I’m sure they did. So… Are there any prospects in the female department this year?” Snape was surprised at the question. It was not a topic that was usually brought up between them. They usually talked about something Lucius found interesting, such as dealing with the Dark Arts or for a needed favor; never about his life. Personal life mattered not when it came down to business.

“I haven’t noticed,” Snape replied, carefully. Just what was Malfoy getting at?

“Well, have you thought about dating? Or even the prospect of marriage?” Lucius asked, taking a sip of his whiskey.

“This is what you thought was so imperative to meet with me about?”

“I believe that marriage could be the key into the higher status that you are worthy of. Status and reputation are everything when it comes to success. I can only help you so much, Severus. My advice is for you to marry into a wealthy, pureblood family which would give you instant recognition in Society.” Snape gave the blonde wizard a look saying that he had lost his mind.

“I understand that you are not the most sociable person. In the years that I have known you, you have never even mentioned a girl. Now what I was thinking was an arranged marriage. It’s actually a lot more common then many people think. I, myself, am undergoing such an arrangement,” Lucius stated.

“You and Narcissa Black have an arranged marriage?” Snape asked surprised. The way that he had heard Narcissa talk, her and Lucius were deeply in love.

“Yes, and it is a good match. Both of our parents set it up and I believe it will be very beneficial to both of our futures.”

“Whose parents would agree to have me marry their daughter?” Snape scoffed, thinking about his low status in society and lack of reputation. Not to mention he wasn’t exactly a pureblooded wizard, his lowly father being a muggle.

“You needn’t worry about that. I will speak to the family on your behalf. In fact, there happen to be several prospects, which I think would be excellent matches for you. All I need is your consent and I will begin investigating further into the girls.”

“Do you really think that something like this would be that valuable?” Snape was still skeptic about the whole idea. He never really pictured himself settling down and getting married. Especially at such a young age.

“I believe it is crucial, Severus. In fact, I insist on it,” Lucius affirmed, his cold eyes glinting with authority. There really was no way Snape could say no. He slumped down into his chair in resignation.

“Just don’t pick some annoying twit who doesn’t know one end of her wand from the other.” Snape sighed, giving his permission to be set with an arranged marriage. What was he getting himself into? Lucius grinned, satisfied that his friend had agreed to the plan. Glancing around the pub as he took another sip of his drink, he noticed a table of three girls not far from where they sat. One of the girls in particular caught his eye.

“Is that Catalina Bajer?”

“You mean Cate?” Snape asked, glancing curiously over his shoulder to find the girls sitting nearby, laughing and talking loudly. He scowled at them, turning back to his friend.

“I almost forgot that she still attends Hogwarts,” Lucius said thoughtfully. He quickly drained his drink and set it down on the table. He got up quickly from his seat and headed superiorly over to the girls’ table, with Snape following childishly in tow, albeit a little broodingly.

“Catalina Bajer.” Lucius smiled seedily, approaching the Slytherin girl. Cate looked up, sounding surprised at the sound of someone using her full name.

“Lucius! What are you doing here?” she asked, amazed to see him anywhere near Hogwarts; she hadn’t seen him since he graduated. Lucius smoothly reached out, kissing the top of Cate’s hand in a formal greeting. Both Samiya and Lily shared a look, trying to hide their laughter.

“Simply visiting an old friend. Who may these two lovely ladies be?” he asked, turning to the girls, with the kindness in his gesture not reflecting in his eyes.

“This is Samiya Rosa and Lily Evans, my two best friends,” Cate said. “Girls, this is Lucius Malfoy.” Samiya looked at him callously and then simply turned to Lily without a word to the blond wizard, purposely being rude. Both Samiya and Lily remembered Lucius from when he was still at Hogwarts. He was not the nicest person, especially to Muggle-borns.

“I was just over at your house a few nights ago, discussing some business with your father.” Lucius commented. “It seems like ages since I have been over to your estate - since your mother stopped having the New Year’s Gala.” Cate’s parents used to host a party every New Year’s Eve until Cate started school. It became too difficult with her traveling back and forth for the holidays so they hadn’t had it the past few years.

“I actually think Mother is planning on having it this year. She misses planning such a big event.” Cate explained, with a small smile. Her mother was the typical pureblood socialite, focusing her time and efforts on attending and hosting various events throughout society.

“I will be awaiting my invitation then.” Lucius smiled. “But I’m afraid I must go now. I have some business to finish with Severus and then must return to the Manor.”

“It was good seeing you, Lucius.” She watched as the two of them headed outside, pushing crudely past a group of third years as they came into the tavern. She hadn’t been aware that Snape and Malfoy had continued their friendship outside of Hogwarts. That was interesting.

“Since when have you been close friends with Malfoy?” Samiya demanded, turning Cate’s attention back to the table.

“He’s an old friend of the family. Our parents have been friends since childhood, but I wouldn’t call us friends. More like… acquaintances. I haven’t seen him since he graduated though.” Cate shrugged lightly, trying to not make a big deal over it.

“I feel like there’s a whole another part of you that I don’t know about!” Lily teased. Cate just rolled her eyes.

“You’re both nutters.”

It didn’t go unnoticed to both friends that Samiya had remained unusually quiet after her recent outburst over Cate’s connection to Lucius. She continued to gaze outside the window, lost in her own thoughts until Cate tapped her softly on the shoulder.

“Is everything all right, Samiya?”

“Everything’s fine. Why do you ask?”

“Well for starters, you were rather rude to Lucius Malfoy a few moments ago.” Lily stated, with a look of concern. While Samiya was capable of being rather blunt in her dislike of others, there really wasn’t a reason for her to treat Lucius Malfoy that way. Lucius, no matter what he did at school, had never once bothered any of them.

Samiya sighed before replying, “My father is heading up an investigation on the Malfoys and their recent activities. It’s been hard to find evidence on any of the members of the family but father is sure that they’re following You Know Who.” Cate and Lily both noticed that she had gone slightly pale. Of course this information wasn’t new to Cate. She knew what circle the Malfoys ran in”the same one as her parents. However, she chose to keep her mouth closed about Samiya’s comment. Cate worked hard at keeping her family’s secrets as hidden as possible.

“Apparently they…they’ve done terrible things that I shouldn’t even be talking about. I just have a bad feeling about him.” Samiya added, nervously before quickly changing the subject. “Who wants to go to Honeyduke’s?”

Cate and Lily glanced at each other briefly, confused at the rapid change in their friend. But nevertheless, they agreed to go to Honeyduke’s. Maybe it was for the best to not press the matter any further. There was enough talk about the war every day to have it ruin their days in Hogsmeade, which seemed like living in a dream that was bound to end soon.

“Well if it isn’t the three most beautiful girls in all of Hogwarts!” James Potter remarked as he bumped into the girls on their way to Honeyduke’s. It wasn’t hard to spot the red haired object of his affection through the crowd, and wherever Lily was, her best friends were guaranteed to be close behind.

“Not today, Potter,” Lily remarked as the girls passed by; it was particularly crowded that day in Hogsmeade and Lily had hoped to lose him the crowd, but sure enough, James and his friends continued to follow them into Honeyduke’s. She couldn’t remember how many times Potter had tried to speak with her on a daily basis but at this point, he should have taken a hint by now.

“Don't frown, Evans. You'll never know who might be falling in love with your smile.” James grinned while opening the door dramatically for her to enter. Wow…Lily did have to admit, that was probably the sweetest thing James had ever said to her. Of course, leave it to her friends to ruin the mood as Cate and Samiya broke into a fit of giggles.

“Thank you, James.” Lily smiled hesitantly. James, who took the opportunity to nudge Sirius, knew this was his one chance to say something that would sweep Lily Evans off her feet once and for all.

“Hey Evans, the boys and I were talking and congratulations! You've been voted Most Beautiful Girl in Hogwarts."

“What?” Lily replied, slightly confused by his declaration. James ruffled his hair carelessly before arrogantly replying,

“And the grand prize is a date with me!” He flashed the girls a broad smile. James’ chance to sweep Lily Evans off her feet had come and gone, as she took the opportunity to roll her eyes and walk away irritated, towards the display of chocoballs on a shelf. Now James was the one left confused as Sirius patted him sympathetically on the back.

“Bad luck, Prongs. Now watch and see how it’s done,” he added, looking towards Samiya. After exchanging a quick hello with the boys she had made her way inside to stock up on sugar quills, which she always had an endless supply of. Sirius casually walked towards her knowing exactly what to say. It had worked for him more than a few times and with Samiya - it wouldn’t be any different.

“Oy, Samiya!” Most of the customers present at Honeyduke’s turned towards Sirius as he yelled at the girls. He wanted to make sure that James could hear what he was doing so he’d have to be louder than usual.

“Yes, Sirius?” Samiya continued to look at the new sugar quill flavors before Sirius dangled two tickets teasingly in front of her face. His eyes glinted with amusement as he looked down at her. “What are those?” She asked curiously. (Sugar quill has a space in it; I added one above.)

“These, are tickets to the sold out Caerphilly Catapults versus Pride of Portee game on December twenty-seventh.”

“No way!” Samiya squealed, as she grabbed a ticket from his hands while carefully inspecting it. “They’re also doing a tribute to Dai Llewellyn there! How’d you get these? I’ve been trying for weeks to get a ticket for this game!”

“Well,” he replied, taking the ticket back nonchalantly from her hands. “Let’s just say that I have good connections. I do happen to have an extra ticket so I was wondering if you knew anyone who’d be interested in going with me to the game…” It was easier than he thought since Dai Llewellyn just so happened to be Samiya’s favorite Quidditch player of all time. Samiya grabbed onto Sirius and with a not so subtle hint of desperation.

“What do you want in exchange for that ticket? Money? Homework? What?”

“Oh…so you mean you’d love to go with me to the game?” Sirius turned towards Remus, Peter, and James hoping they were catching every single word of this conversation, which was going unusually well for him.

“Well isn’t it obvious! What do you want me to do? Beg?!”

“I’m sure that we can come up with something.” In a swift moment, he had Samiya pinned against the wall. “So what do you say to you and I taking a walk around Hogsmeade and you can work on convincing me to give you that extra ticket.” His voice had an arrogant smirk, confident that she was falling head over heels for him.

“How?” She asked nervously. What was he doing? One moment they were having a normal conversation and the next he looked as if he were going to kiss her at any moment. She could feel her heart beginning to beat a little faster as he softly caressed her cheek.

“You know what I’m talking about, Sam.” He began to lean in closer. Samiya quickly looked to her friends for help and caught sight of James, Remus and Peter looking intently at them. Of course! It was all an act to impress his friends! Well two could play the same game.

Before Sirius could kiss her, Samiya began to laugh. She laughed loud enough to capture everyone’s attention. He quickly pulled away from her as a combination of embarrassment and confusion had taken over.

“Wow… that has to be the most ridiculous and dim witted attempt to ask a girl on a date I’ve ever seen. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some sugar quills to pay for.” Samiya softly pushed by Sirius, who at this point had gone temporarily mute in order to join her friends, who were also laughing at Sirius’ failed attempts.

What in the world just happened? This was the first time a girl had ever made him look like a complete fool. What did he do wrong? In his opinion, it was absolutely flawless! Samiya would never turn down tickets to that game and she certainly wouldn’t turn down a chance to snog him! No…he was sure he had seen something in her eyes, and as hard as she tried, Samiya couldn’t hide the nervous tone in her voice. It was all an act on her part and he’d get her to admit to it if it was the last thing he ever did!

“Samiya, wait!” Running past his friends he made his way outside where the girls where preparing to head back to the school. “You’re a terrible liar, did you know that?”

“Am I really?” She asked, slightly arching an eyebrow.

“I saw it in your eyes. You’re falling for me and you know it.” Sirius said, roughly pulling her close to him. She wasn’t about to make him look like a fool in front of their friends. “Now, when are you going to admit to it?”

“Never.” She spat at him, clearly disgusted by the very idea. She shoved him away and stormed off down the street.

Frowning slightly, Sirius entered Honeyduke’s once more. Samiya, Lily and Cate were on their way back to Hogwarts, probably having a good laugh at his expense along the way. That was fine. It’s not like he wanted to really date her anyway. He was just trying to help James. Besides, Samiya was too uptight for his tastes. “That went smoothly, don’t you think?” He joked as soon as he caught sight of his friends inside the store.

“Come on boys, it’s their loss. Besides, we have a prank we have to play on Snivellus,” James replied, though not quite enthusiastically. Lily Evans had refused him once more. But right now they had other important things to attend to.