Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Falling into the Abyss by WrackspurtGirl

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The dubious content warning is because I though this ought to have some sort of warning attached even though their are no violent/graphic scenes or anything like that. Thanks to Myth for encouraging me to publish this and to both her and Chii for reading this first. This is the first time I have attempted to write in this style so please leave a review to tell me what you think. I'd also like to say a huge thank you to Trucker (Ron) for editing this for me. It was fantastic for you to offer and you have done an amazing job, so thank you. Finally, thank you to who ever is reading this, for going so. Ell
Falling into the Abyss



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



You jump.



The moment your feet leave the ground you realise it was a mistake. There should have been an easier way to escape. That’s the problem though, there wasn’t. You were surrounded at the edge of the cliff top. Death Eaters everywhere, no wand, no backup, no one to help you. There was only one way out - and you took it. Over the edge.



You fall.



It’s true, you tell yourself. You try to reassure yourself that there really was no other route of escape. It had taken you long enough to break free and they had you cornered again. Anything was better than going back - even death. But you knew you wouldn’t die.



You’re falling.



It feels strange. You’re used to falling metaphorically, but it hasn’t happened to you literally before. You’ve been in similar situations though. That was the problem. This had happened so many times and you still weren’t used to it, but then you shouldn’t be. No one should ever get used to this.



The wind blows against your face.



You take a deep breath in. Every time you fall someone is always there to pick you up again. More specifically one person is always there to catch you. You know he’ll be there and the thought that for once in your life he won’t be there doesn’t cross your mind.



Your hair blows backwards.



Your hair is dirty and your clothes are torn but somehow as you fall you feel elegant even liberated. You don’t know where you are. You know you were helping the Order when you were taken, you know they took you, you know they tortured you and you know you’re falling, but somehow none of that matters.



You open your eyes.



You feel like you’ve been falling for ages. You’re cold now. It’s strange how that’s the thought that crosses your mind. Not the possibility that they don’t know where you are. Not the possibility he won’t be there to catch you. Not the possibility that there won’t be enough of you left to save. The thought that you’re cold.



You look at the ground.



The ground bellow, there is no ground. You look closer. You know it was a cliff you jumped off, but you weren’t looking when you took the leap off the edge. You never open your eyes when you do something like this. The surface of the cliff you fall past is rocky and jagged. Luckily you took a large enough leap that you will miss it.



There is no ground.



Looking again at the surface rising up to meet you, you realise that it is isn’t any ground. The surface rising to meet you is calm, midnight blue; it looks strangely inviting. Almost picture perfect. You realise it’s the water. You always liked the water; you almost relax as you look at it. Then you realise that you were tense.



You hear your name.



You look around and you can see people running along the bottom of the cliff. They are climbing over the rocks, desperate to reach you before it’s so too late. There is nothing you can do about it. You look at their worried faces looking for one face I particular. He’s there. Your eyes meet and you realise how much he cares. Suddenly you realise that there must be rocks under the water, creatures, the height you fallen from. There won’t be much left. He knows that and as you look into each others’ eyes you realise the truth.



The water engulfs you.



You can hardly breathe. The pressure of the water pushing in on you feels overwhelming. Its cold as well. Freezing. You never thought about the temperature of the water. It’s like ice, so cold in fact that you forget the pain of your broken bones as the water acts as a palliative.



You look up.



How far did you fall? It feels like an eternity since you stood at the top of the cliff looking at the hooded figures surrounding you. You lungs seem to be failing you and you know that in a moment you will have to open your mouth. Have to take a breath.



You see the fading light.



The further down into the water you sink, the darker it all becomes. Your thoughts are numbing as well and as the light fades you start to realise you can’t hold on any more. The need to try and breathe overtakes you again, and this time you know you can’t fight it.



You open your mouth.



The water comes tumbling in and you close your eyes. Your part in this war is over. You have fought so long and so hard, but now as you fall you realise that there is no escape. The water is so numbing that you don’t even feel the arms wrap around you as your eyes close.



You’re moving.



Its almost graceful in a way. You’re hardly conscious now. The arms around you have a tight hold on you and you can feel someone’s legs touch yours as they try desperately to drag you back to the surface. The thoughts of dying leave you mind. It’s blank - no more thoughts left to feel anymore.



You can breath.



It feels like you have woken up from a long sleep, but as the air fills your lungs you remember what has happened. You start shivering. Now that you have left the numbing cold of the water if appears that you can feel reality again, feel the pain in your back, arms and legs. You feel someone touch your face and the mutter of concerned voices.



You open your eyes.



He’s there. You were an idiot to have forgotten him. His face and the look that seemed almost stunned onto it as he saw you fall. That same face now shines in the moonlight covered in water but still you can see the concern and the joy behind the bedraggled hair.



You’re safe.



You realise now that you should never have doubted him. Never have doubted you were going to be saved, and as you look out across the dark and empty stretch of water you realise the truth. The little secret you knew all along but were too afraid to admit. He would always save you.



Save you from falling into the abyss.