Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

OAF: Operation April Fools by The REAL Weasley Twins

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Do enjoy. :)



James walked into his friends’ room with a smile that could stretch across the Thames. He began rambling as Sirius rolled his eyes. “…I mean, if I could explain the way it was. How she was. Her movements. What she said. I’m telling you, Sirius, it was incredible. It feels like we fit so well together. It was just so natural. I can’t help but think that things are finally turning the right way.”


Sirius continued rolling his eyes as he muttered, “Fantastic, James. Sounds great. You and Evans have always seemed like you were made for each other. Right. All along, all the fighting and yelling. Not that I’m complaining. You know hearing Evans yell is one of my favorite pastimes, but all of that definitely leads to you two getting together.” He paused for a second. “You actually think this is…going to last for a while?”


James didn’t respond at first. He instead furrowed his brow and jumped onto his bed. He let out a hefty sigh as his back became submerged into the thick cushion of his duvet. He looked over at Sirius and, seeing the concern in his friend’s eyes, smiled.


“Padfoot, I’ve been on one date with the girl. Besides, if “a while” means hopefully at least another date, then yes, this will last a while.” A grin spread across Sirius’ face and James could tell his friend had returned.


___________



Lily wandered the halls of the castle for some time before heading back to the Heads’ dormitory. She didn’t want to face James any sooner than was necessary. As she traversed the peaceful halls thoughts raced through her mind.


Why won’t I just head back to my room? Nothing happened. We just had dinner. And I need to do my ridiculous Potions work. I don’t have time for this right now. At this she turned on her heel and immediately began rushing towards Winston. On second thought… She turned around once again and made her way in the opposite direction.


No! I will not let him affect me so! She, allowing her academic side to win the war against herself, walked straight towards her room, entirely determined.


Her gait slowed as she thought of their almost-kiss. Her mind drifted to the feel of James’ hand as he grazed her chin, the warmth of his forehead against hers, the color of his eyes as he backed away…


“What color are James’ eyes?” a voice demanded. Lily jumped a mile and screeched as the question broke the silence that once surrounded her. She turned in circles looking for the mind-reader under she realized not a single human was in sight.


“Hem hem.” The voice spoke once again. Lily turned over her left shoulder and found Winston staring at her incredulously. “Did I say something wrong?” he asked.


“Yes, you did. And they’re hazel,” Lily said quickly, her eyebrows lowered slightly as her gaze penetrated the portrait.


Winston merely stared at her, unsure of what to do. Realizing the only thing he could do was open for her, he did so and she stepped into the common room.


In an attempt to forget everything from the past few hours Lily grabbed her work and set it out at one of the tables that sat in the common room, ready to work through the night.


___________



James had left Sirius just past midnight and attempted to quietly enter the Heads’ room. He was anxious to see Lily again after their parting but wanted to wait at least until the next day to see if she would be interested in trying another date.


He had expected to find an empty common room and an ember-ridden fireplace. All seemed right until he looked into the corner of the room. There, perched ever-so-gracefully at one of the mahogany tables, was the girl he was hoping to see. But she was perfectly asleep.


Lily’s head rested on top of stacks of parchment paper and her peaceful breathing blew a strand of her hair back and forth along the edge of the desk. He watched her for minutes as the rest of the world faded away. He could not understand how one creature could be so stunningly beautiful and how he had been lucky enough to share just one meal with her.


He debated what to do from here. He could not enter her bedroom, nor did he want Lily to assume he had violated her privacy in some manner.


Instead, he wrapped one arm beneath her knees and another behind her back. Swooping her up in one motion, he walked to the couch with her in his arms. After laying her down gently he took the Gryffindor blanket that resided on the edge of the couch and positioned it on top of her.


He began to walk away before stopping and looking down at her another time. He bent forward and lightly placed a kiss on her forehead. “Our first kiss and you won’t even remember it,” he murmured before walking out of the common area and into his own room.


___________



Lily stirred as a sound woke her from her slumber. She moved to prop herself up on her bedside table and found nothing there. Opening her eyes revealed not only that she was not in her own bedroom or bed or that she was still dressed in the clothes she had put on the previous day, but that it was also officially the following morning and only Merlin-knew-what-time.


She rubbed her eyes and flipped her legs off of the couch she had been laying on, trying to recall her last memories.


Her brain immediately activated when she remembered the date. “The date, yes, the date…yes…,” she said aloud. “And then…the grass…the walking and Winston and coming back into the portrait…and Potions. I must have fallen asleep while doing Potions.” She smiled as she secured her memory of the previous night’s events.


Her happiness, however, turned to horror as she fully recalled what must have happened. “Potions!” she shouted. “I never finished Potions. Double Potions today. Professor Slughorn will be so disappointed in me. And all because I was stupid and went on a stupid date with a stupid boy and now I haven’t done my work!”


She continued to yell as she stormed towards the desk where half of her parchment paper was sitting on the floor. Assuming its falling to be the cause of her waking, she kicked at it, sending it flying across the floor.


“Oh, I’m sorry!” Guilt rushed through her as she addressed the paper as if it were not inanimate. She picked it up, dusted it off and stacked it on the table, continuing to mumble about her irresponsibility.


“Lily?” A voice interrupted her. “What’s wrong? Is everything okay?”


She addressed James without turning around. “No, James, everything is not okay. I didn’t finish my Potions’ work. And I have class in…oh, I don’t even know what time it is!” She fell into the nearest chair, defeated, as tears began to fill her eyes.


“Lily, you have plenty of time. Almost an hour. I was just headed down to breakfast, not class, so don’t fret,” he said to her, placing a hand on her shoulder.


She shrugged off his palm and responded, “No, James. I have hours and hours of work to do and no time to finish it.” Her curt response should have had James running to the Great Hall, but he did not respond how she assumed he would.


“Lily, here, let me just help you with it. We can finish it together. I did mine yesterday.”


You? How is that possible?” Even Lily flinched at her harsh tone.


“Because I knew I was seeing you yesterday and didn’t want anything to get in the way of that. Remember?” James pointed towards his temple. “You bring out the best in me.” He smiled and sat down, flipping a piece of parchment towards himself and pulling out a quill.


___________



Exactly fifty-six minutes later James and Lily rushed towards their Potions class together. James smiled as Lily giggled with excitement. It had only taken fifty-six minutes for her mood to completely change, for a smile to show on her face, and for her to seem entirely comfortable with him.


James was happy beyond belief. Never did he think he would skip a meal to help someone with Potions work. Girl or not, he liked food a lot more than he liked to study. For Lily, however, it seemed like an honor to be of service.


Though class went by quickly James not only worried that his morning encounter with Lily would not happened again, but that Lily, having sat through double Potions, had already forgotten how he had helped her.


His concerns were proved wrong when she began walking towards him as class ended. “James,” she began, “I can’t even begin to thank you for your help. Seriously, I wouldn’t have been able to finish without you.” She paused for a second. “Actually, I’m not even sure I could have started again without you. Thank you so very much.”


“Of course, Lily.” James grinned at her and continued, “I’d say, “anytime!” but I’m not sure I’m willing to do double Potions two times again…just the one double Potions is two-times too many as it is.” Lily laughed and began walking towards the hallway as James continued to speak.


“You know, though, I charge for tutoring.”


“Oh, is that so?” Lily asked, returning the smile.


“It is. You see, you made me miss my breakfast this morning and left my stomach rumbling so loudly throughout Potions that I fear Marlene may think I’ve got a monster growing inside of me. To my absolute dismay, I must require you to have dinner with me tonight.” James heaved a sigh and shrugged, saying, “It’s out of my hands.”


“James, I entirely understand. If that is what is required of me, I mustn’t turn you down.”


“I’m so sad to hear that. Meet me in the common room at six sharp,” James said.


Lily smiled even bigger and they said their goodbyes until dinner that night.


___________



Lily had been dressing herself in her room since 5:15 and was still sitting in her school robes. Marlene was not there to help her…Marlene doesn’t even know Lily realized. She tried to her hardest to ignore a gnawing feeling inside her chest but couldn’t. She had to admit something to herself: James was growing on her.


She decided quickly to pull on one of her more attractive blouses and leave her form-fitting khaki pants on. She looked into the mirror, pulled her hair into a half-ponytail, and half-heartedly opened her door at 5:59.


“You are early,” James said, leaning on the wall next to her door. She smiled at him and inhaled his fresh sent. She had to admit it: he pulled off handsome quite well. He smiled in return and her heart gave a little jump at his almost too-perfect grin.


“I know, I know, I’m quite a catch. But please, shift your gaze to the rest of the room,” he said, gesturing towards the rest of the room. A table had been set in the center of the room and the room was showered in candlelight, courtesy of the tens of candle that covered each surface.


“James,” she breathed as she walked further into the room, “it’s beautiful.”


“Right?” James retorted. “Who knew this room could look so fetching? Now please, m’lady, sit down right here.” He pulled out a chair and allowed Lily to take a seat.


Still standing, James clapped his hands together twice and a feast appeared on the table. Lily, with wide eyes and a big grin, was speechless.


“And I made all of this on my own. Entirely with no help. Impressed?” James grinned.


“James, I don’t think I quite believe you. I’ve never taken you for the cooking kind.” Lily raised her eyebrows as James took a seat across from her.


James looked a Lily a second longer before responding, “Yes, well, I suppose I have to give some credit to the house-elves in the kitchen.” Lily’s eyebrows climbed further towards the ceiling. “Oh, all right, I’ll have to give all the credit to them. Seeing as how they did everything for me. But I gave very specific orders!”


Lily bowed her head in appreciation and said, “Thank you very much, house-elves, wherever you may be hiding.”


James picked up his utensils and exclaimed, “Let’s eat!” Lily laughed at his excitement, picked up a fork, and began to tuck in.


To Lily’s relief, dinner went even better than it had the previous night. There was never a dull moment of conversation and if any sort of silence did ensue, it was not awkward as she had feared it might be.


She was entirely comfortable with James in this moment. During this time, any scheme was forgotten and she just enjoyed her night with a boy who was quickly becoming one of her good friends.


After cleaning both of their dinner plates and a shared dessert plate, James stood up and clapped his hands once more. Soft, beautiful music began to play at James’ command and he offered Lily his hand. “May I have this dance?”


I’m not sure I can even resist that smile, let alone a dance, Lily thought. “You may.” She took his hand and allowed him to pull her up out of her seat. “Though I must warn you,” Lily continued, “I’m not much for dancing. When I was born the doctors told my parents that I had two left feet.”


James laughed. “That’s why I’ll lead.” With this he placed one hand along her waist, grasped her other, and began moving her about the room.


Never had Lily felt freer than in this moment. As the room spun around them she stared in James’ eyes, laughing and smiling as he showed her how his mother had taught him to dance when he was younger. All these intimate details…and he’s choosing to share them with me, Lily thought, smiling to herself.


“Hold on a minute,” Lily said, stopping James mid-turn. “I’d like to try and lead for once.” Lily, determined to prove her feet to be quite normal, took James’ waist and turned over her right shoulder. In one fell swoop she knocked James into the armchair and they both tumbled towards the ground: James onto the floor and Lily onto the couch.


Though pain coursed through her left arm she went into a giggling fit and covered her face with her hands. “Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear,” she cried, turning bright red. “It would seem I’ve two left feet after all.” She continued to laugh and looked at James who was grasping his own mid-section.


“It would actually seem you’ve no feet at all,” James said as he grabbed her arm to hoist himself up onto the couch next to her.


Lily socked his arm at the comment. He yelped and grabbed elbow in response and Lily stared at his strong facial features.


“You’re handsome,” she ventured timidly. “Still a downright dimwit, but a fairly good-looking one, nonetheless.” She was glad to see a smile appear on his face.


“And you are beautiful,” he responded. “Still gorgeous, but fairly good-looking, nonetheless.” At this his face softened and he once again placed his palm against her cheek.


Please kiss me, James Potter, she silently pleaded. As if hearing her thoughts James leaned forward slowly, inching his way towards Lily. She returned the gesture by leaning at the same pace.


Within a second they were just centimeters apart, both hesitating. Lily could tell James was testing the waters, afraid of Lily’s reaction to his forwardness.


Oh, come on now! Lily thought. “Just kiss me already,” she said audibly. James froze at her words and she, embarrassed beyond belief that her thoughts had spilled from her mouth, sat entirely still.


A smile crept across James lips. “Yes, ma’am.” He moved his hand to beneath her chin and raised his lips to hers. With that, their lips touched in a soft, playful kiss. Lily, lost in the kiss, barely noticed the pain in her arm or the ache of her love scar.


With no remorse, she deepened the kiss before pulling away. For once, she understood exactly how she felt: she was falling for James Potter.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for keeping with us, guys. It means a lot to us.